Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/22/2008 (Season 37 Opener)  (Read 48421 times)

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/22/2008 (Season 37 Opener)
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2008, 09:31:09 PM »
Pretty nice show to start the season off with.

Most Expensive: Sweet for 3 cars again!!!!!!! Y'know I'd much rather see ME be played for 3 cars than Triple Play any day. I wonder where the backdrops were? It just didn't seem like ME without the "1" "2" and "3" backdrops.

Gas Money: Y'know when they revealed the car I was thinking "oh no, not Pass the Buck".  :P Course  I should have known when the car price was not revealed that something was up.  :P I was thinking when the game would be revealed that they would announce a chance to win $10,000 and a new car, i'm not going to quibble about it however.  I really like the concept of Gas Money-it mixes in a bit of 5 Price Tags with Temptation and Grand Game-the element of risking money/prizes for everything. I have a feeling those are obvious conflicts with this game to say the least. Overall I believe we have a winner in this game.

The Big Wheel looked very nice. I was pleased with its look.

Overall a very good show to start the new season off with. Gives me a reason to be optimistic about the season.

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 09:37:21 PM »
Gas Money was certainly one of the better pricing games to come along in a long time. The prop is cool, it's pretty simple to understand [yes, it's like DOND, somewhat], and you gotta love the garage bell.

The Big Wheel looked as usual to me, save for the silver dollar signs. They don't look awful, but they do seem to clash.

The Most Expensive reveal was weak, yes, all because of the poor cue choice. Only one cue could've worked, and I bet you know which one I'd mention.

The trailer outside TV City was awesome......

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 09:53:44 PM »
Well, it was a pretty good show today.

HD Factor:  Damn I wish I had HDTV.  For the most part, the show is still being shot as it was in SD (just more on the sides for HD watchers), but some of the shots in SD are being cut off and it angers me.  During the credits today, the camera got the whole cast during, but poor Brandi was cut off in the SD feed.  I got get HD.

Opening:  Cut off light border :-(.  I got a kick outta Drew's entrance though.  The match dissolve with the MDS doors looked good too.

Most Expensive: When Drew said, "a twist on a classic,"  I though, OH CRAP HERE WE GO WITH BAD CHANGES!  But it was nothing.  I missed the podiums though.

PL!NKO:  Meh.  They should really double the other slots on the board (but not $10,000 slot).  Walking out with only thousand bucks seems kinda lame.

Gassy (okay bad nickname - Gas Money):  Freakin' awesome game.  Thanks Dob for such a great addition to the show.

Showdown:  The wheel looks good, but let me be picky.  The giant Pricedown dollarsigns seem a little too big to me.  And the numbers on the wheel just don't look as good as they did.  Are the numbers on the green sections green now instead of blue?  I honestly couldn't tell.  Nonetheless, they should be changed back to their old tone.

Pick-a-Pair:  The return of Mary!  If someone happens to have her original appearance on tape, please post it!

Showcases:  Outdoor reveal!  Nice touch.  It was cool to see natural light inside the trailer.  I hope they do this more often.  But not too often.

Grade: 8.5/10

Offline The Square

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 10:11:33 PM »
Hello! I thought I'd make my first post here during the first episode of the new season. It's a lot longer than I thought it would be, but there's a lot to talk about. I doubt my future posts will be anywhere near as long.

I certainly wasn't expecting Most Expensive to kick off the new season! Nice to see it played for three cars again, but despite the three backdrops behind the cars, for some weird reason, it felt naked without some kind of set piece there. It's strange that the instruction "choose the most expensive prize" feels a lot more arbitrary when there aren't large numbers there to demonstrate that it's part of a specific game.

Not as surprising to see Plinko second in the season premiere. With Most Expensive lost and Plinko only giving away $1,000, the season is off to a slow start.

Then, a new pricing game! That was pretty easy, though I guess they wanted it easy for its first playing. The only two possible prices for the car were $25,350 and $29,675. Having up to $9,000 in cash as incentive to walk away is huge, though. If they normally play this for cheap cars like the Chevy Cobalt, I predict we'll see a lot of contestants stopping halfway through the game. I don't think we'll see too many winners, as it's hard to turn down at least $6,000 to keep playing for the car. Although the reward is a car and $10,000, so maybe it is worth the gamble. So far, I'm intrigued by the game.

Does anybody know if they rehearsed Gas Money before Roger was fired? I know he created it, but I'm wondering how much input he had into the final product.

As for the redesigned wheel, the sides and the carpet look nice. I don't know why they felt like they had to change the numbers to something so similar, yet not as good as, the old numbers. I don't mind that the red lights are now white, as it matches the set better, but I wish they hadn't replaced the double light strips by the wheel itself with those large-small lights that are on the doors. I know it's the same theme as that part of the set, but next to the traditional double rows of lights, it looks schizophrenic.

Were they running really short on time already by the first Showcase Showdown? Drew only mentioned the new bonus spin amounts while the wheel was spinning. More than doubling the amount of cash you can win in a bonus spin is the kind of thing that should be given the audience's full attention, not just quickly rattled off underneath the boop-boop-boop of the wheel. Though it did prevent Drew from asking Nathan if there was anybody he wanted to say hello to.

Was Drew peeking behind the 85 in Money Game before lifting it up?

I know this was Roger's game lineup, but do we know if he set up the Money Game board? It's very much in his style to have the car's price end in 37 on the 37th season premiere, but the fact that 85, 40, and 90 were better-looking choices for the back of the car seems crueler than he would be for a season premiere.

I guess it was probably Roger, as last year's 36 has been replaced with 37. I hope that whoever is setting up the games now keeps that tradition going.

They used a picture of Mexico for San Antonio! Unless San Antonio now has ziggurats.

That was cool that we got to see the outside of Television City for the trailer. Not to mention that the trailer was amazingly nice, too. They even cleared all of the cars out of the parking spaces!

That was a bad edit where we didn't even get to hear Nathan's bid on his showcase. After Rich described the trailer, all we heard was Drew talking over Nathan, repeating Nathan's bid.

All in all, a pretty good start to the season. With the exception of one very important name missing from the credits, it felt like the show did last season. In light of all of the things that we've heard, I hope it lasts.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2008, 10:12:58 PM »
Did anyone else get really worried when Drew said "a new twist to an old favorite"? It wasn't bad this time (or different... we've seen Most Expensive for three cars before, so I don't know why he said that), but I have a feeling we'll hear that often this season, and most times, it won't be a good result.

I already liked Gas Money after I heard the rules a couple of months ago, but seeing it actually played makes me enjoy it even more. Definitely a nice, fairly quick car game.

It was interesting to see a prize kept outside... I'm assuming it's safe to say that we've never seen that before.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Daniel
SHOW GRADE: 3

Offline Eddie

• Walking the Golden Road
    • #4234K: The very first show I attended
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2008, 10:16:29 PM »
I remember asking if the show would be broadcast in widescreen format and we got the affirmative.

As for Gas Money, I thought it would be a one-choice game but it turned out interesting, borrowing ideas from temptation and it's in the bag.  I thought it would be a grocery-product game but it wasn't.

Also note the wheel was completely redone, right down to the numbers.
Shows I Attended:
#4234K, #4235K, #8453K,
#0342L, #0314L, #0315L, #0321L, #0322L,
#0511L, #0513L & #0515L

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2008, 10:21:58 PM »
Unbelievable!  Here we are at Season 37, and for the most part, it was pretty good.  :-D

Now one gripe about Most Expensive that I had was Drew's delivery; he still needs to work on "building up" the excitement when it comes to something like what we saw today--three car Most Expensive!  I thought was watching the S35 premiere all over again.  The lineup itself was kinda odd, since I figured we were gonna have an all-car day, but wow--Gas Money is easily the coolest new game I've seen since MoL's debut in '06!  That Jayco trailer was the queen mother of friggin' random trailers--Fleetwood has just been dethroned; the question is though:  will we see another Jayco this season?

OVERALL SHOW GRADE:  B+
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 10:23:03 PM »
I wasn't in chat due to technical difficulties, but I did see the show.  Here's Fieldsy's rundown...

ME: For 3 cars?  I almost expected Trippy to come out!  She definitely should have gone with her gut on this one

Plinko: Nice to see the TPIR PC game as a small prize.  But as we like to say around here, $1K won = STINKO

Gas Money: The new game, WOOHOO! Great to see it won on its inaugural playing

Squeezy: Easy peasy on that one

Money: Canadian in an HBC Beijing 2008 T-shirt, WOOHOO (not to mention she's from Barrie, which is about an hour and a half north of me)!  I'd say that was a pretty tough setup

Pappy: Another easy win.  Enough said

SCSD2: And for the first time this season, I get to say...I MUST DIG!

SCs: They were awesome, especially the great shot of the trailer in the TVC parking lot

Overall, great way to start the new season.  Here's to many more great moments ahead!
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline Netstryke

• In the Audience
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2008, 10:24:22 PM »
New Season, New game, New Channel!

Please welcome OMNI 2 to the Price is Right Family

I really like Gas Money and I loved the way you described the game.

The big wheel slimmed down and got pimped  :lol:

and a outdoor prize reveal....1st time ever!!

what a way to start Season 37!!

It's all fun and games 'till you hear the losing horns.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 10:28:08 PM »
I must admit that for the last few days that I had fallen into a depression and felt pretty down about myself. I'm really not sure why I felt that way. But today I turned on The Price is Right and honestly Drew and the gang helped me feel better. And today was a great show. Drew was really on top of his game. I might have to watch again, but he seemed more comfortable finally. I liked some of the changes that were shown today. The wheel looks great! I really wasn't expecting Gas Money to use the Pass the Buck car reveal. Bart I must admit was on top of his game today too. I loved the partial-overhead reveal he did with the jib camera for the car in Gas money. And the reveal for the cars in Most Expensive was good too. Keep it up Mr. Eskander.  

And Kudos to whoever had the idea of doing the prize shoot for the Trailer in the CBS Television City parking lot!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 10:30:11 PM by catdogwheel »
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2008, 10:40:47 PM »
For now, everything is pretty much the same, with a increase on the wheel...very happy with that. We'll take the changes day-by-day in stride together. :)

ME: I was pleasantly surprised TP was starting the season...then it wasn't. Very clever. Too bad the first game of the season was PEANUT GALLERY ROBBED. :evil:
Pl!kno: Another bad bounce. This isn't a bad sign, is it? :P
GM: Beautiful! We won't be seeing another win like this for awhile, the DOB created this game well - at first, I thought the 1-4k amounts related to how close the price was to the ARP, since the contestants picks the price and that's it, it would have been OK, but on further inspection it is in fact random. And for the record, the Solstice went up by a couple thousand - I thought was 23k. Back to the odds...20% obviously for picking the right price, if cheaper cars end up being used as the season goes on, $9000 will prove many bailouts. I think overall it ends up being about 1 full wins in 5, we'll see.
SD1: No weird camera angles = I can survive this wheel for now.
Squeezy: The 2 out just looked right, but 8279 and 8529 could have easily been right, too. Possible easy setup
Money: "interior & exterior protection" ... hahahahaha... I'm not getting fooled again, now it's just "protection", not paint. :D
PaP: Easy enough this time around.
SD2: I MUST DIG!
SCs: 55,508 / 50,508. Results --> in the ballpark (wrong way, as usual) / :frts: screwing me over as expected, LMAO. Great bid by Mary - the cars were around 20k each, but the Britain trip looked cheap and Texas isn't too far.

B+ overall - better than expected start despite Peanut ruining :)
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Ponch8

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2008, 10:42:04 PM »
It was a very good episode.  Gas Money seems like it will be a very good game.

You also can't go wrong with an episode that featured not one, but TWO diabetes testing supplies commercials with Wilford Brimley!

Did anybody else notice the two errors during the showcases?  The skin for the San Antonio trip showed places like the Mayan pyramid that are nowhere near San Antonio.  Also, they said that there are 37 slots on a roulette wheel, but there are really 38:  the zero, the double zero, and 1-36.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
I certainly wasn't expecting Most Expensive to kick off the new season! Nice to see it played for three cars again, but despite the three backdrops behind the cars, for some weird reason, it felt naked without some kind of set piece there. It's strange that the instruction "choose the most expensive prize" feels a lot more arbitrary when there aren't large numbers there to demonstrate that it's part of a specific game.

That's a very good observation...it's little details like that that I'm afraid the folks in charge of the show now are going to be missing on a regular basis.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline weatherdan882002

• In the Audience
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2008, 10:48:53 PM »
IUFB: I had the price of that lawnmower right on the nose! Does anyone know if the $500 reward has been upped as well?

Most Expensive: Tough luck. It ALWAYS hurts when you're origional intuition was right, especially when it's the audience that persuades you to change your mind.

Plinko: ANother unfortunate happening. But $1K is better than nothing...

Gas Money: VERY cool. Easily seen as a combo of Pass the Buck and Five Price Tags. I can't say I see this game being won very often, but that's just me...

Money Game: Why does this game always seem to be hard to win? Sometimes it's easy (as in the July 4th playing), but this setup was not very easy. I felt bad, but she looks liek the kind of person who would be happy with just the experience (and the $175).

Pick-a-Pair: VERY easy setup. Nicely played.

Big Wheel: It's good to see the dollar rewards increased. I was kinda skeptical about it at first, as $10K still seemed like a lot of money to me, but you factor in inflation, and you just can't do much with it nowadays. The new design isn't exactly something I'd get used to right away, but as time goes on, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Showcases: Bid $51K for Mary's showcase, bid $75K for Nathan's. I'm glad Mary won, especially because she was a former contestant. Is this the first time that a previous contestant has been called down a second time?

Overall, very enjoyable show. I'm glad a lot of the rumors that were going around before the season opened weren't true.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 10:50:39 PM by weatherdan882002 »
"There's a solution for every problem on this show." - Bob Barker

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2008, 10:49:33 PM »
As someone older than the show, I was dissappointed today.  First off, we barely saw the "37 Years" signs between the doors.  This is an anniversary fixture we always saw when Bob walked through the doors.  The signs barely got any air time.  

Drew did not explain Gas Money well though I agree it can be a good game.  He should have referred to the cash awards as "gas money" - that's the point right? - esp. with today's gas prices.... Also, does it make sense to play "Gas Money" and "Money Game" in the same show?  Big difference in the Money between the two games but still.... ( should they increase the 'money' in Money Game ?  diff. thread.....)

Hate the silver $'s on the wheel - poor build up on Drew's part in announcing the $10K/$25K on the wheel.

And yes, this is the second time a showcase prize was outside the studio.  It was nighttime price in the 70s with Dennis James,  and I think it was a houseboat which I guess is like a partyboat/cabin cruiser.  I think the whole showcase was $11,000.

Today just did not feel special like the first show of seasons past....