Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/24/2008  (Read 20330 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/24/2008
« on: September 24, 2008, 02:40:27 PM »
The Price is Right - Sept. 24, 2008
Production #4433K - Taped July 29, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: right to left  
Handoff: Brandi

Models of the Day: Tamiko Nash, Rachel Reynolds and Brandi Sherwood
Wearing: Boston Proper

1   (Panasonic) 50" Plasma HDTV (T)
CLIFF 2499 MANON *1400 MATTHEW 750 DIANNA 2500 ($2199)

Manon from someplace in Canada plays LUCKY SEVEN for a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X (Std., Conv., AT, Steps, Stereo, Top, #24S, Prot)(All)

Pick:4 3
Price:   $2 9 8 5 4
Bucks:7 2 0LOSS

2   Ivanko Chrome Dumbbells (B)
+Cliff *455 JASON 250 +Matthew 300 +Dianna 450 ($1200)

Cliff plays (IT'S) IN THE BAG

$1,000$.75*(1)Original Louisiana Hot Sauce
2,00014.09*(5) Capzasin HP (1.5 oz)
4,0002.49*(3) Hot Pockets (2 pk)
LOSS3.99X(6) (Clorox) Disinfecting Wipes (75)(worthless)
9.12*(4) Gold Bond Ultimate Healing
(2) (Maxwell House) Coffee ($3.99)

3   Granite Washer/Dryer/Libman Wonder Mop (R)
ELISA 1150 Jason 2300 +Matthew 2399 +Dianna *1250 ($2248)

Diana plays BONKERS for a Carter Bros. Interceptor 250 Hybrid Go Cart (T)($4598 - Not Revealed)

2 8 5 3Time
1.H L H H:07EXACTA!

She could have had that in five seconds if she didn't turn to the crowd and give thumbs up. Nonetheless, she didn't look to Them when she put her discs in place.

SHOWDOWN #1Spinoff
$1,200Cliff50 stay.50
2,199Manon95 stay.95.75Through to Showcase Round
6,886Dianna20 + 75.95.55

4   His/Hers Snowboarding Equipment (B)
Elisa 850 Jason 851 +Matthew *852 NORBERT 1650 ($1294)

Matthew, the last of the "First Four", plays BARGAIN BAR for two trips...

Montreal (6n @ Sheraton)(R)$3702$6702$3000
Miami (6n @ Shula's)(T)$3129$7129$4000WIN

5   Home Theater System (R)
Elisa 1850 Jason *2651 DEBBIE 2650 Norbert 1600 ($3190)

Jason, a student at Indiana, plays ONE AWAY for a Dodge Avenger SXT (Std., Sports, Mats, Moulding, Stereo)(T)

Setup1st Try2nd TryPrice
2 0 4 1 5   1    21       65  2   
3 1 5 2 62 2 4 3 52 2 4 1 72 0 6 3 5
4 2 6 3 73    5    43    5 23 1      6
3 RIGHTLOSS

6   Napoleon Freestanding Waterfall (T)
Elisa 1451 KAREN *825 Debbie 1350 Norbert 1450 ($1000)

Karen plays DOUBLE PRICES for a Dutchman T@B 16 Microlight Travel Trailer

$16,980 PICK
($14,195)LOSS
$14,195

SHOWDOWN #2
$1,000Karen95 stay.95(Puny 1st Spin)   Through to Showcase Round
3,190Jason25 + 20.55
15,125Matthew35 + 25.60

SHOWCASE ROUND
Manon has the honor.

SC1--Manon His/Hers Backpacking Equipment (T)
Trip to Athens (6n)(R)
Catalina 25" Wing Keel Sailboat (B)
BID$29,595
PRICE48,995
DIFF–19,400
SC2-Karen Pro Flowers Flower Arrangements (12)
Broyhill Affinity Dining Group
Rosenthal Inspiration Dinnerware (T)
Beachcomber Hot Tub (R)
BID$12,575
PRICE19,466
DIFF–6,891
TOTAL$20,466

Today's Pricing Games: 2 for 6
Total Winnings: $49,075

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 07:27:56 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/24/2009
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 03:07:11 PM »
Lucky Seven played for a $30,000 (almost) Jeep?  Wow, I say!  I didn't think that 4 was a bad guess.  I would have lost $5 on the first number, too!  Expensive Jeep!  It's nice, however, to see L7 played for a higher-end car.

I'm still on the fence about the "Might Sound Effects Lady".  I still think it's kinda funny, but at the same time, I think Drew takes it too far.  If we're pressed for time (see any recent 3 Strikes discussion), then maybe it's time to clip that joke down a bit.  I don't know.  Meh.  Kinda mixed on that one...

That Dodge Avenger got me, too.  I know they're not expensive cars, and Rich's copy of the options made the car sound somewhat loaded.  I would have never guessed, after all that, that it would only be a $20,xxx. car.  I thought $22,xxx was absolutely the right choice.

Now here's my question of the day...

Did Price get an infusion of money in this season's total budget, or is it just because it's Premier Week??

The prizes being offered seem to be nicer than last year - the cars are "bigger", the showcases are more valuable, and so on.

It would be nice to think that this is going to be semi-permanent, but something tells me it's just because it's the beginning of the new season.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 03:10:04 PM »
Y'know does Bonkers being paired with Bag warrant the SP game being thrown out? This lineup today seemed really short---outside of Bag that is. Lucky 7 doesn't take that long and neither does Bonkers. I don't think i'll ever figure out this timing thing.

Lucky 7 was just downright impossible today. I would have wiped out because there was no way I would have thought that 1st digit would be 9.

It's In the Bag. Arrggghhhh!!! Drew could you please at least have a little respect for the game and call it by its proper name "It's In the Bag" rather than "In the Bag." That said Drew did a good job handling this one today. Cliff was a great contestant as well, too bad the $3.99 bag did him in.

Bonkers: No, Drew that was not a record.

Showcases: Talk about a disparity in prices there. Poor Manon, it just wasn't her day today.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 03:16:15 PM »
Bonkers: No, Drew that was not a record.

Well, with Roger no longer around, there's nobody to correct him to let him know its a record. lol
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/24/2008
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 03:30:17 PM »
L7: That jeep was pumped up with DOB Grecoids - wasn't this low-20s last year, or was that without the "Unlimited"?
Baggy: Oof.
Bonkers: It could have been close to a record if she didn't poll the audience, which she escaped criticism from for today...Drew is still having trouble remembering to show the price?
BBB: This may be a record for biggest diffs in this game, though - wow. Good to see this error corrected in the SCs.
OA: Wow, the price is exactly the same as last year. He refused to believe it was just 20, just like the Milan ^ ^
DP: Me no like showing the game prop before the prize. :(
SC1: YACHT = 38,909. :gotc:
SC2: Garf again, but a definite win.
Results: As expected. Surprised Greece didn't top 10k, though it was definitely in the 9k range.

B-
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 07:29:16 PM by Joe_Capitano »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 03:33:57 PM »
I happened to see the Bonkers playing while I was at the studio [we have a regular TV in the control room, and our director tuned it to "Price"]----one of the better playings I've seen. Too bad I didn't hear anything or see too much of the gameplay---I had a show to pay attention to, and a character generator to operate.

The FRSBS-----yow. I'd've garfed big time.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 04:53:46 PM »
Lucky $even's reveal looks really bad in fullscreen now.

Speaking of Lucky $even...I don't think there's any way anybody was going to win that.  That second number was pure evil.

I really thought Cliff had It's in the Bag won.

I'd like Drew to start acting a bit more like Bob...but not by starting to make up records. :P

L7: That jeep was pumped up with DOB Grecoids

No, you were right the first time -- all game setups this week except for Check Game were done by Roger.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 05:11:54 PM »
Wow, Lucky $even was darn tough.

Drew, for the love of all that is good about The Price Is Right, the pricing game's name is It's in the Bag.  You've been hosting the show for a year now.  I expect you to know the names of all the pricing games played.

What sparked Diana to just stand in place after placing her discs in Bonkers!?

I hate Drew's "Oh, mighty sound effects lady" bit in One Away, but Jason did a good job of getting into it for the fourth number.

I also hate the new Showcase description endings, but it makes a world of difference for the better with Rich adding "if" before "the price is right."

I hope they never stage dinnerware standing on end on a tabletop like that again.  It just didn't look as nice as when the table is actually set with the dinnerware.

Lucky $even's reveal looks really bad in fullscreen now.

And it still didn't look any good in standard resolution.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 05:39:51 PM »
Today, Drew looked like he forced door #2 open to make his entrance and I laughed at how the TV caught a live shot of Drew running around the stage.

I really did not like how they didn't pan the stage to the car for the Lucky $even reveal.  I guess for those who are watching the show in widescreen it looks good, but it looks crappy for those who watch it in fullscreen.

Also, Lucky $even was hard, with the first two numbers being very difficult.  I knew that Wrangler would be more expensive than the standard one since it was the 4-door Unlimited model, but I had no idea it would be that expensive.

Diana played Bonkers very well, she didn't look at the audience for one second placing the discs, although she paused for whatever reason to look at the peanut gallery when she had all four in place.

We probably had our first "historic wrong" by Drew today, saying the new Bonkers record was 7 seconds.  I have seen quicker times, I believe the quickest was like 3 seconds on one of the Barker-era MDS's.

I know Drew was excited for Diana to win on the first try, but that was no excuse to not reveal the ARP of the go-kart.  He should work on this and how he reveals Card Game.

I'm still disappointed that Drew calls It's in the Bag "In the Bag" still, I mean he called it by its proper name a few times last season, so I wonder why he couldn't do that all the time for this game.

I laughed at how Drew said "We had hosts before Bob, like Ezekiel and Jebediah." 

Jason really didn't get into the "Almighty Sound Effects Lady" as much as he should have early on, especially when asking if he had at least one number right, but by the fourth number, he pulled it off well.

What did Drew clarify at the start of the showcase round?  I didn't hear it when I was watching this morning.

I hate Drew's "Oh, mighty sound effects lady" bit in One Away, but Jason did a good job of getting into it for the fourth number.

I have liked Drew's "Almighty Sound Effects Lady" bit in One Away since the first day he started hosting.  It's one way of Drew making the show his own, and adds some charm to the game.  It is reminiscent of how Bob, in the early years of One Away, always made sure the contestant said "Gentlemen, do I have x numbers right?"  It's still better than Doug's "People in control" from TnPIR '94, in my opinion.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 05:46:52 PM »
We probably had our first "historic wrong" by Drew today, saying the new Bonkers record was 7 seconds.
I think there was also a time with Drew when the time lasted shorter than 7 seconds.

What did Drew clarify at the start of the showcase round?  I didn't hear it when I was watching this morning.
The total of the prices Matthew won in Barker's Bargain Bar.  He originally said it was $7,000 worth (which is the sum of how big of a bargain they were).  He said that he should have said that Matthew won $13,900 worth of prizes (the sum of the ARP of the trips).

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 06:05:32 PM »
No, you were right the first time -- all game setups this week except for Check Game were done by Roger.
In that case, this may be the last prize jacked up with true Doboids. Oh boy... :D
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 06:19:30 PM »
Lucky Seven: Boy that Jeep was a killer there price wise. I too thought it was around $21,000+. Oh well fellow Canuck Manon didn't really need that anyways considering she doesn't drive. Lol.

IT'S In the Bag: I knew that coffee was $3.99 there. And to any of you future contestants who play this game next time remind Drew the proper name of it is IT'S In The Bag not In The Bag.

Bonkers: That win was great. What was not great was the way she did it.

Barker's Bargain Bar: I thought Matthew was going to lose there after seeing the difference for the price of the trip to Montreal there. But he had it right when the trip to Miami had the bigger difference by $500 nonetheless. I would've went with Montreal.  :evil:

One Away: I know I wasn't the only one who moaned the moment Daniel changed the last 2 numbers.

Double Prices: Knew that trailer was $14,195.

Showcases: OUCH! I kind of feel sorry for Manon on getting that showcase that cost almost $49,000+. I think the trip to Athens and the sailboat may have played a role in that.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 07:12:43 PM »
L7:  Evil Jeep price!  Can't stop the Dob Greco!

Bonky:  And that is how you play this game!  Historic Wrong® from Drew, as 7 seconds is not a record.

Bar:  Nice shout out to Zebediah Barker today. :P Holy crap, those were some outrageously expensive trips today.  Seeing $6,702 ($3,500 difference) on Montréal scared me big time.

Away:  Why the hell did he change the last number from 5 to 7?  :headbang:

Dubba:  Ugly lime green GEM trailer alert!

SC #1:  Nope.  Manon didn't cover the boat.  :gotc:

My showcase bids:
Trip/yacht--$47,307
Room/hot tub--$16,107
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline UpsDriverMan

• In the Audience
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 07:22:12 PM »
drew's suddenly getting funny!  season premiere he was cutesy coming through the doors, tuesday i forget what he did, then today he pushed them apart.  and then, top it off with a rob rosa-style stage run during the reading of the awful prize copy ("turn your living room into an art gallery with this 50" plasma TV").

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 07:33:02 PM »
Even worse, Drew's runamuck showed the TV was set in "Just"mode. The same mode CBS College, TNT and TBS (among others) uses to convert 4x3 to widescreen.

Hopefully someone will rig up a proper connection in the near future. Price is widescreen. It should be shown that way.

Back to today's saga...