Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/25/2008  (Read 30175 times)

Offline UpsDriverMan

• In the Audience
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/25/2008
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 05:34:22 PM »
GR came out of nowhere with the door entrance.  i guess the audience entrances are already a thing of the past.  how i miss thee :-(

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 05:38:25 PM »
When he does the little goofy stuff it reminds me of Gene Rayburn really when he would come through the doors on Match Game.

Release your inner Rayburn

I should note that Nick just can't stand the 1970s version of Match Game because, as he once put it, "they never sat down and played the game" and prefers Ross Shafer over Gene Rayburn.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 05:44:23 PM »
Nick ain't gonna release ANY inner Rayburn. Nick is probably the only person I know who prefered Ross Shafer's hosting of Match Game over Gene Rayburn. (Goldie beat me to it!) I can understand Nick wanting a level of professionalism in his hosts, but I think he should lighten up just a LITTLE bit...

Anyways, back to the daily recap!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 05:48:00 PM by Alfonzo »
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Online Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 06:20:43 PM »
I should note that Nick just can't stand the 1970s version of Match Game because, as he once put it, "they never sat down and played the game" and prefers Ross Shafer over Gene Rayburn.

(See post directly above)...

Wow, this is the name I've made for myself after all these years? :P

But I have to just plain admit that I don't hold to that like I used to, but only because I began to realize that it's only because Match Game '7X was played in such a ridiculous manner that it was even worth watching.  Nevertheless, The Price Is Right and Match Game are two entirely different types of game shows, and the carefree, laid back style of Match Game shouldn't be involved on The Price Is Right as much as it has become.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:07:59 PM by Joe_Capitano »
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Richie

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 06:27:23 PM »
I've said this in chat---I will reveal this information....I managed to talk to 2 people who went to this taping.  They told me that Golden Road was lost in a relatively stupid manner.  And they told me how Drew handled it during commercial break....he apparently let Alicia have it.  I was like Oh Boy.  He told Alicia during the commercial break "You thought that the game table was $287?"

Well tomorrow's my episode---I will reveal the goods on the episode after it airs.

Offline Umandsf

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 06:48:05 PM »
Entrance: Always fun to guess how he'll enter. Maybe we can add that for an extra point in the CSS. :p

Alicia: Yeah, I was distracted when I first saw it, so I had to see it again. [facepalm] Painful to watch like that. And the game lost on such a little mistake. How disappointing.

Pass the Buck: That hot sauce will be haunting up for quite a while.

Showcase: Corvettes are evil! I envy my brothers' car knowledge.

I just realized I'm a terrible recapper.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 07:13:04 PM »
With Roger gone, I think it's safe to say that there is a slim to none chance that Drew will be doing audience entrances ever again.

Alicia sure didn't know what she was doing in Contestants' Row when she said "Do I say a number or higher or lower?" and "Do I pick a number?"  To add insult to injury, we have our first wipeout in Golden Road since April 16, 2003, and the first Golden Road wipeout in the Drew Carey era.  Also, she was confused as to how to bid in the showcase.

Speaking of the game table in Golden Road, I guess the had the Fourth of July decorations lying around.

I will agree with those who said that today's Golden Road prize cues were just sub-par, and it was just bad to hear one of the trip cues for the cabin cruiser.

Well, a win in Coming or Going is a good way to start of the season.  I hope this season's win/loss ratio makes up for last year's horrible one.

For the third item up for bid, I don't think I have seen a more overt use of red, with a red chair, carpet, and red flower backdrop.

What stinks about Half Off later this season, after we run out of Roger lineups, is that the money will probably be placed in a place where it was never was, box #13.

I loved how Drew and Shirley started throwing the fake money when going to commercial.

The music cue for the for the fourth item up for bids just sounded weird, it seems as if it came out of an '80s arcade game.

I wonder what was up with the Union 33 guy behind Balance Game, with that pause before the scales tipped to represent a loss.

What the heck is an "immersion island bath?" I guess it's not your father's bathtub.

Roger certainly went all out this week, with a $93,000+ cabin cruiser in Golden Road and a Corvette in the showcase!

Speaking of easy camerawork, I don't understand how Drew can approach a price reveal like he did in 1 Right Price and Bart still miss catching the price reveal.

You should have seen how Drew caught everyone off guard when he experimented with revealing one price at a time in One Wrong Price last year, that looked worse than today's 1 Right Price reveal, in my opinion.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline fp2008

• In the Audience
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 07:53:47 PM »
Wow, this is the name I've made for myself after all these years? :P

But I have to just plain admit that I don't hold to that like I used to, but only because I began to realize that it's only because Match Game '7X was played in such a ridiculous manner that it was even worth watching. ...

Since when isn't TPIR a carefree and laidback show. It's not Jeopardy or Millionaire. I personally like the entrances Drew has made this week. It's help the show get off to a great start.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:09:04 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 08:14:56 PM »
Golden Road:  I wanna say that I can't believe she thought that the 3 in 1 game table was $287, but after how confused Alicia was on the one bid, I sorta figured she might do something like that! :roll:
Coming or Going:  Good job! :-)  I was thinking Going myself because I thought 5 would be the last number in the price.
1/2 Off:  Well played! :-)
Balance Game:  Too bad! :-(
Pass The Buck:  $3,000 is not bad at all! :-)  I thought Nicholas was right in passing the buck to the Ziploc bags, but I knew he should've passed the buck to the cookies instead of the hot sauce.
1 Right Price:  Too bad! :-(  I would've went with the plasma tv, too.
Showcases:  Too bad the Corvette wasn't won. :-(  That Immersion Island Bathtub was pretty neat lookin', too.

Overall, I have to say "ehhh" again.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:18:39 PM by Cartboy »
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline fp2008

• In the Audience
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 08:40:31 PM »
Back for my commentary

Golden Road: What was Alicia smoking before the show? I'd like to know. First, she doesn't know how the bidding works and then is the first one up to play.  Then she loses on the first prize. $287 for a game table. Nope, should not have been lost that early.

One question- Did they get rid of the "mini turntables" for the smaller prizes on Golden Road

Coming or Going: Good thing the guy won. Either price looked right.

SCSD: Somehow it's Alicia's lucky day and she gets to play in the showcase.

Balance Game: Any of the choices looked good. But any of us hardcore watchers knows that hot tub is $7213. Carina didn't seem to care when she lost though

Pass the Buck: Relatively easy for the grocery items although Nicolas had it rough. At least he won $3000.

ORP: I picked the plasma as well.

Showcases: I thought Carina was over when she bid $22,000. Turns out it wasn't and she ended up winning. Good for her.

Another question: Does Alicia hold the record for biggest amount in prizes lost? Over $160,000 (from Golden Road and her showcase).

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 08:54:24 PM »
A 1/2 Off win is always nice, but I wish Drew would slow it down a bit. He's always seemed to rush the reveal in this game, and I really don't know why. It's so much more exciting when it's built up, like Bob used to do.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Shirley
SHOW GRADE: 3

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 09:19:15 PM »
Did anyone notice the Barker Carey wall behind the dinette?  Kind of funny they didn't push that offstage!

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2008, 09:24:45 PM »
Since when isn't TPIR a carefree and laidback show. It's not Jeopardy or Millionaire.

Agreed. This is not Masterpiece Theatre, Millionaire, or Jeopardy! Its Price is Right. As long as its not vulgar or insulting, there's nothing wrong with how he enters the studio. Hell, if Drew keeps it up, Joe will have to add his style of entrance to the daily recap.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline TPIRSteven

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2008, 09:25:54 PM »
One-Bid 1:  I was wondering if Alicia even knew where she was!  This isn't Card Sharks!

Golden Road:  Alicia gets a $93,000 chance to redeem herself, but she blows it again by thinking the table was only $287.  I hate when Golden Road is lost early, because I always like to see how far I would have been able to go if I had been up there.  All I know is that I had the table right.

Coming or Going:  A fairly difficult setup (for this game, anyway).  Both prices looked good.  Nice win by Matthew!

Half Off:  This was definitely the high point of the show, despite the fact that I don't care much for the game.  It couldn't have been played better.  I'm glad Shirley didn't get bit by the one empty box -- she deserved to win after she handled the pricing portion so well!

Balance Game:  Another difficult setup -- all three prices looked good, and the price range of spas is all over the place.  I guessed $6,213, and I also would have lossed.

Pass the Buck:  I thought the pricing portion was pretty easy, especially after seeing the hot sauce, which was obviously only 75 cents.  Nicholas bombed the GPs, but still walked off with a nice consolation prize.

1 Right Price:  That was in essence a 50/50 shot, because the prices were so close together.  I also guessed wrong, thinking that the popcorn cart wasn't that expensive.

SCSD2:  We came so close to having our first big money winner with the increased bonuses, but not quite.  With the way the rest of second half went, I'm not surprised, though.

Showcases:  A Corvette!  Alicia did an excellent job of garfing it, though; $55,000 probably doesn't even cover the car, let alone the trip (which is where I messed up).

Tough show today...  I can tell they really wanted a big winner with GR being played for a $93,000+ boat and a Corvette being offered in the showcase.  Unfortunately, due to some bad playing by the contestants and some tough setups, it ended up resulting in another relatively low winnings total.  It doesn't help that the cheaper showcase was won and no cars were won.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 09:44:26 PM »
What stinks about Half Off later this season, after we run out of Roger lineups, is that the money will probably be placed in a place where it was never was, box #13.

Why is this a bad thing?  Half-Off should have sixteen boxes in play, not fifteen.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy