Author Topic: Let 'em Roll Question  (Read 20801 times)

Offline CrimsonViper

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Let 'em Roll Question
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2006, 07:51:49 PM »
Not to mention the fact that you're already playing for A CAR!!! What the heck do you need ANY sort of bonus for?! Winning a car isn't exciting enough?!

... Well, we are talking about Cobalts and such here. :-P

But seriously, this is yet another case of the Mo' Money Syndrome.  It doesn't need fixing!  Heck, you can do everything wrong and still wind up with a car or $7500!  Besides, it's one of the few games that still allows you to walk away with something even if you lose.  

Appreciate that fact and ditch the bonus.

Offline Geoffrey Weagraff

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2006, 08:05:36 PM »
What about Clock Game? That has a $1000 bonus.

Offline CrimsonViper

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2006, 08:07:47 PM »
Clock Game's prizes are cheap, so that is why a $1000 bonus was instated into winning the game.  That has absolutely nothing to do with why Let 'Em Roll should have an extra bonus of any sort.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2006, 10:10:29 PM »
ssetta wrote:  What about Clock Game? That has a $1000 bonus.

It also has nothing to do with this thread.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2006, 11:04:16 PM »

Alfonzo wrote:
Winning a car isn't exciting enough?!

The prospect of winning a car means nothing to me.

:-?

Well... er... I don't drive.

:roll:

$how me the money!

:-D
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2006, 02:06:58 AM »
Clock Game has a bonus because of the fact that before the bonus, even if you played for two maximum-prized prices (for this game), a contestant could win only $1,998. The $1,000 bonus was added to bring Clock Game's prize package into the 21st century. Now, while I'd like to see them go to the system they used on the 1986 specials (envelopes with different amounts), that's for another time and place...

That's certainly not the same as offering someone a $14,000-$18,000 car, then giving them the possibility of taking home another $10,000 on top of that - even if they manage to blow both grocery items. As I said before, if there was only one car space on each cube, maybe (and, if so, NOT as much as $10,000), but not with three on each cube.. The odds are obviously far better than doing so in Yahtzee. Plus, it's not like they play Let 'Em Roll for a gas pump replica or the like, either... That is, after all, a new car they are playing for.
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline Garvin8r

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2006, 02:29:48 AM »
The way players are bidding in Clock Game now, I'm surprised they don't up the prize limit to $1500... :-)

Ah, the poor souls who don't know the secrets to our beloved pricing games...

In any event, I agree with the rest that there's no need for a bonus on Let 'em Roll.  Contestants can already win a car and are guaranteed at least $500 as a "fall back prize."  Isn't that exciting enough?

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2006, 02:31:36 AM »
A few more playings like the one we had last week, and they can up the bonus to $100,000 and not worry about the budget...  :-?

Offline ib4uf

• In Contestant's Row
  • Technical Director
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2006, 06:59:57 AM »
I believe my original wording was $10,000 or whatever. The amount was not the main point of the post. Think about how much impact does that $500 bonus have at the end of the Hole in One track? How many have won it?

As far as luck is concerned, all games on this any any other show have some degree of luck, some higher than others. Why not reward a person if they happen to have a lucky day? I am sure a person has no problem telling the line, sorry studio full, come back tomorrow. To me, that is the unluckiest person.

As far as the budget is concerned, how many millionaires have been made because of the show of the same name? I venture to say the budget for Price would be able to more than cover this additional expense. It probably already does, many times over.

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2006, 07:05:25 AM »
I have no problem with Hole In One's cash bonus for two reasons:

1. It's been part of the game since day one.
2. It is rewarding a contestant for their knowledge, not blind luck.

It's kind of like Shell Game's $500 bonus: I have no problem with the possible reward should a contestant win all four chips, but I wouldn't want to see a bonus given out if a contestant wins one chip, and manages to pick the right shell.

I just don't think it's a good idea here. I mean, it'd almost be like giving a contestant a $10,000 bonus on Spelling Bee if they pick CAR with their first pick - it's blind luck, and it's a huge reward that can be obtained by tanking the SP portion of the game. Plus, we're talking about giving away almost as much cash as the car is worth...  :-?

Offline ib4uf

• In Contestant's Row
  • Technical Director
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2006, 07:36:12 AM »
I believe my original wording was $10,000 or whatever. The amount was not the main point of the post.

I resubmit again, maybe the amount would be less discussed rather than a principle.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2006, 08:38:37 AM »
You do have a point about not getting picky over the amount of the bonus...however, I would suggest that there should be no bonus at all.  There is no bonus in TPiR that is based solely on luck, and since the first roll is given to the contestant no matter what, I don't see why they should make an exception here.

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2006, 10:41:23 AM »
Well, perhaps the bonus on the big wheel could be considered one associated with luck.

However, I agree with the majority that no bonus, for any amount, should be awarded for getting 5 cars on one roll.  You get a car!

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2006, 11:09:54 AM »
Oops...Denials, that is a good point about the bonus on the wheel being luck.  But at least everyone who's on stage gets a shot at that, not just those who happened to be there for the right game.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2006, 03:54:48 PM »
With the big wheel, it's not all luck.  You have to spin it at the perfect strength to get the dollar.  Rolling 5 cubes in a bucket down a ramp is completely luck.