Author Topic: Which Super Mario game do you like the best?  (Read 9620 times)

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Which Super Mario game do you like the best?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 08:08:35 PM »
I'll say the original Super Mario Brothers since it's the first game I ever played and it takes me back to my small childhood playing it with my cousin whenever he brought his NES over.  I also liked Super Mario 64 for the fun new levels and mini-games.  I was once really addicted to Super Mario Advance also.  But I like them all basically.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 08:31:13 PM »

jmenjes wrote:
What...no love for The Lost Levels?  :lol:

Oh, I love it.  It's just too dang hard at some points.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline iluvpir

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 08:35:55 PM »

Nick wrote:

jmenjes wrote:

I actually beat the Lost Levels...it's pretty difficult though!

Offline jmenjes

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Mouseketeer
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 08:58:21 PM »
Pretty difficult?  More like throw your controller into the wall out of frustration difficult in some of those worlds.  

And I will admit to having done this.

Anyone else play through without warping and make it to World 9?
"You're dead if you aim only for kids.
Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
---Walt Disney

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 11:26:13 PM »
Difficult, shmifficult.  You guys don't know what difficult really is.  I may not be able to beat C-4 Bowser with fire except for once, but it could be harder.

Anyway, I have to vote for Super Mario Bros. 3.  It pretty much epitomizes the whole series, and everything great about it.  A lot more level variety than most of the other games in the series, except possibly oddball Super Mario Land 2.  But it had the airships!  No other Mario game touched those, and I couldn't tell ya' why.  And a lot of great enemies introduced here, or just for the one game, like Chain Chomp, Nipper Plants, Boo, Thwomp, the Hammer Brother family--the enemy quality took a big nosedive in Super Mario World.

And all the power-up suits in Super Mario Bros. 3, with the leaf, tanooki, hammer, and the... actually, they probably should've tweaked the frog so it didn't absolutely horrendously suck on land.  Ah well, so it isn't perfect.  Still as close as we're gonna' get!

Offline fireman

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 08:30:44 AM »
I only have played through world 8 of the lost levels because I have Super Mario Bros. Deluxe instead of the whole game of lost levels. I fought my way through 2 Bowsers at the end of 8-4 (with fireballs!)  How I wish I could play world 9 and worlds A through C! I had discovered a power-up in every level of The Lost Levels except for in world 6-4 which is hard!

You see, the thing I don't like about Super Mario Bros. 3 is that there are no midpoints in the level where you can restart after you lose a life.  Also, you can't get rid of the hammers in your inventory unless there's a boulder to crush on the map.  However, I really like the shoe you get to wear in one level and the hammer suit.  Whoever thought hammers could defeat ghosts?

In Super Mario Bros. 2 USA you have no score to keep track of.  It's also a spin off of Doki Doki panic.  (The Super Mario Advance version is much better, however.)

Super Mario World is the best as you can eat almost anything with Yoshi, even torpedos!

Boy, I'm really starting to sound like a Super Mario freak!    :-o  :-)

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2006, 12:05:28 PM »
It's hard to belive I've played Mario games for almost two decades now and it looks like it'll more.  Mario is
hands down the best videogame series ever.  The longevity and being number one in sales proves it.  Mario will never die.

My favorites are SMB, SMB:TLL, SMB3, SMW, and SM64.  It's really hard to pick a favorite though.  Probably between the original Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario 64.  SMB was the first videogame I ever played and Super Mario 64 was the first 3-D videogame I ever played and spent dozens of hours on both and I loved them.  Instant classics!

Frank15 wrote:
 I may not be able to beat C-4 Bowser with fire

I can't beat Bowser with fireballs either.  Stupid firebar! :-x

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2006, 04:08:34 PM »

iluvpir wrote:

Nick wrote:

jmenjes wrote:

In case some of you guys don't know, Lost Levels was actually Super Mario Bros. 2 in Japan. Nintendo decided that the levels were to hard for North America and Europe, and that NA and EU wouldn't like that lack of changes (only 1 new enemy, I think, the red pirhana plant, and the graphics were the same).

Instead, they took a game called Doki Doki Panic, changed the characters and called it Super Mario Bros. 2 (Later released as Super Mario Bros. 2 USA in Japan).

I actually remember playing the original SMB2 on a weird japanese cartridge (probably illegal ...) . I had a video game store in my neighborhood that had all those kind of japanese games in the original cartridges ...

Offline iluvpir

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2006, 04:39:39 PM »

Franc wrote:

iluvpir wrote:

Nick wrote:

jmenjes wrote:

In case some of you guys don't know, Lost Levels was actually Super Mario Bros. 2 in Japan. Nintendo decided that the levels were to hard for North America and Europe, and that NA and EU wouldn't like that lack of changes (only 1 new enemy, I think, the red pirhana plant, and the graphics were the same).

Instead, they took a game called Doki Doki Panic, changed the characters and called it Super Mario Bros. 2 (Later released as Super Mario Bros. 2 USA in Japan).

I actually remember playing the original SMB2 on a weird japanese cartridge (probably illegal ...) . I had a video game store in my neighborhood that had all those kind of japanese games in the original cartridges ...

In Japan, the original SMB2 is available on GBA as part of the Famicom Mini-Series. I ordered it off of eBay.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2006, 06:34:02 PM »
I have The Lost Levels on My SMBDeluxe cartrige for GB. It is hard. It has taken me probably a total of 4 1/2 months to get where I am now. Sadly and bitterly, I am stuck at the last castle 8-4. (There is no World 9 in this one)

Offline Geoffrey Weagraff

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2006, 11:50:33 PM »
I have to say that The Lost Levels is my favorite of all the Mario games because it's very challenging, and you really have to think about what to do. I have played it on the All-Stars pak that was released for Super NES back in 1993, and on Super Mario Deluxe for GameBoy Color in 1999. I would really love to be able to play the original version of it some time. I wish they would release it.

Offline joechopchop

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2006, 11:04:23 AM »
I like the original Super Mario, Super Mario 2 and 3, Super Mario World, Mario Kart, and Super Mario RPG: The Legend Of The 7 Stars.

Offline jnasty

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2006, 01:27:23 PM »
For me its definately Super Mario World. The first one released for the SNES. The game is great. The music is great. The hidden levels and the star world..  I have yet to find a Mario game I enjoy more than SMW.