Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/22/2008 (Season 37 Opener)  (Read 48397 times)

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/22/2008 (Season 37 Opener)
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2008, 10:43:24 PM »
Boy, it's been weeks. Now my fall season can start now.

Most Expensive: For a moment, I didn't know what game we're playing. Either we're playing Triple Play or One Wrong Price. The lack of the numbers threw me off for a moment. When the price of the Impala was revealed, I had a feeling a G6 like that would not be more than $23,075.

Plinko: With a new computer, I can get the Price PC game now. Ah, the ever-popular $10 Libman mop..

Gas Money: Ah, a fresh new game. I can smell the gas (not literally). I guess everybody has a comparison to other game show elements about this one. Originally, I was thinking this was almost like a B&E end game such as Tic Tac Dough's: Accumulate $10,000 without revealing the Dragon. The Five Tags/Deal comparison works, too. Whichever way we compare this game to, I like it.

Showcase Showdown: "Well, it looks like the Wheel got a little makeover modification, especially with the Bonus uppings..."

Squeeze Play: Between the 2 and the 5, I picked 2.

Money Game: I wanted to try the FnB trick. Didn't work for me.

Pick-a-Pair: I guess picking the expensive products were the easy way out...

Showcases: "37!" "What a number! What a travel trailer! Geeze! they had to take it outside the studio?! Sweet!"

It's great to be back.
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline Garvin8r

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2008, 02:01:58 AM »
New season, and I couldn't be more pleased with what I saw:

ME: Curse you, Peanut Gallery!  My gut said Impala too.

Plinko: I was lost myself on that portable range.  Tough start with the game though.

Gas Money: Nice new game.  This one will stick around for awhile.  Can't wait till the prices get closer together.

SCSD: Not a fan of the numbers right now.  Kinda looks like Impact meets square corners.  It may grow on me during the season.

Squeeze: To me, that was just SCREAMING 2.  Guessed right.

Money: Fingers makes her first mark with this game.  Would never have expected a 37, when the 36 last season was only right once.

Pick-A-Pair: ho-hum.  Looks like another easy season.  Especially if medical products come into play.

Showcase Bids: 52,000/78,000

Result: WHOA.  If this keeps up, you'll be seeing me in CSS during tutoring.

Offline DRPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2008, 03:22:48 AM »
Well, I'm watching the first episode of the new season as I write.

Gas Money seems like an interesting enough game, but the game play seems rather flimsy (picking numbers off a board) and a bit too similar to Pass the Buck (but having GM in the rotation with PTB helps).  The game does have a nice set, though, and a neat gas pump "ring" that rings when the contestant picks a money amount on the lower row.  And it's a quick game too.

The big wheel on the first episode?  Well, I guess the best I can say is that the new number font actually looks kind of neat, but everything else just looks tacky and overblown.

I really don't have a preference when it comes to the door designs; both look about equal in my book.  I'm happy they kept the white floor for daytime.

Offline Roland

• In the Audience
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2008, 02:42:54 PM »
Here's my opinios on the first episode of the season:

Most Expensive: Honestly, when Drew and Jasmine stood where they did, I expected to see Triple Play. I thought maybe they started telling about all three cars at once in Triple Play. April fools on me.

Plinko: No surprise that they would play it on the first show of the season. They almost always do.

Gas Money: It seems like a great game even though you have to get the whole $10k in order to win the car (which of course he did). The gas station bells are a nice touch.

Showcase Showdown: I personally don't think that there's much of a difference with the new wheel. Although I do kind of like that they made overthe spaces between the wheel in the same Hollywood Squares pattern as the doors and the turntable (in red)

Showcase: I was amazed with that motorhome that couldn't fit in the studio and had to be shown in the CBS Television City parking lot. Too bad it wasn't won.

Nah, I'm not disappointed with any of the new changes this season yet.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2008, 11:02:28 PM »
Wow, where did the summer go!  I haven't been home until today, so I hadn't had a chance to watch the premiere.  I came very close of coming to look here at the results, but I had enough willpower to wait.  And it was worth the wait!

I thought for sure the 1st game was going to be Triple Play and that the introduction was changed.  It wasn't until the models were holding the Most Expensive price tags that I realized it wasn't Triple Play.  I wouldn't have done any better than her: I thought the Mercury was the most expensive.

When I saw the car reveal for Gas Money, I was thinking, "Pass the Buck on a season premiere?  There's no way!"  Oh, and the set looks awesome!  The concept is great and easy to understand as well.  Nice touch with the gas station bells for a money amount.  It's only been one playing, but this might find a spot in my Top 10 favorite pricing games.  Definitely one of the coolest car games created in a long time.

Speaking of things that are awesome: the new wheel looks great!  I think this might be my favorite design yet.  I like how Pricedown dollar signs are back on the wheel.  And it matches the set, too.

WOW, that was a big trailer!  And it looked really awesome, too!  Too bad it wasn't won.

Oh, I just noticed something else for the numbers 3 and 7.  There were 3 trips and 7 cars offered.  Just found that interesting.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2008, 11:42:28 PM »
The long wait has finally flew us by!!! Sorry I'm just now joining in the discussion, I have some trades I had to take care of. I'm still busy with them, but I'll put them on hold for now to give my views of everything on the 37th Season Starter!!

Even though I don't own an HDTV, I have to say it's about time that our favorite game show finally went Hi-Def and it's awesome!!

The updated turntable and doors are just right and it takes last season's look out down the alley. I applaud the excellence of it all.

Most: Oh, Jasmine!!! You pictured yourself in that Impala, too!! Instincts thwarted again. :-(

Plinko: A season premiere without it would feel just....um....silly.  :-P Slow start.

GAS Money: Well, I have to say that this newcomer has the all-or-nothing effect in very good shape.  I also believed it had the TTD end game likeness. The set rocks!!! A cool concept and an even cooler start!!! Great win!!

SCSD: Upping the bonus spin amounts is just fine with me. The new look on the sides rocks!! The wheel itself....May take a little time for me.

Squeeze: I didn't expect it either, Good job.

Money: I also was blown away by the fact that SUV was over $29K.  37 caught me off-guard.

PickPair: So Obvious.

Showcases: I bid around $51K on those two Chevy Malibus. When I heard that the last prize in showcase #2 was so BIG...I just was in shock to see a biga** trailer instead. A motorhome would've been nice to see. I also would've bid the same amount as Nathan.  Mary came out very well.

For the start of another hopefully exciting year of TPIR. The big season opener starts off with 3.25 stars.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2008, 11:25:30 PM »
One thing I noticed about the Season Premiere in the CBS Press releases and photos, almost all of the contestants were from California!

I do understand that they are still paying quite a bit for audiences.

I hope this isn't a sign of a lack of interest!
John

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2008, 11:47:05 PM »
Oh don't say that John. lol.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2008, 09:25:22 PM »
Oh don't say that John. lol.

I don't see anything remotely funny about it.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »

If it is a lack of interest, it's not because of the green screens, The Dob's firing, pie throwing showcases, the thousands of changes made to the rules of 3 Strikes made in a matter of weeks, or french kissing prize descriptions; it would simply mean that the vast majority of recent entries to jumptheshark.com are right - the show jumped when Bob retired.

Not to say Drew isn't a good host, but it was inevitable that a good chunk of the audience was going to leave, and potentially never come back, when Bob left, no matter who you got to replace him.

The other hypothesis would be that its just fall and interest in attending the show dwindles in the fall months. There were plenty of shows during Bob's reign where the audience was not full, particularly in the middle of the week, though not so much in the latter years, especially his 35th year.

And finally, most of the members of the audience have always been from California - geography would just dictate that a majority would be from the L.A.-area.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Pushover72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2008, 01:28:42 PM »
Not only did I notice that (about contestants being from California) but was there also a lack of college students?  Back in the Bob days, there seemed to be a lot of college students (or young people that looked like college students) as contestants.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2008, 01:34:11 PM »
One thing I noticed about the Season Premiere in the CBS Press releases and photos, almost all of the contestants were from California!

I do understand that they are still paying quite a bit for audiences.

At this point, we probably have to start factoring in the changing economy (it sucks) and the cost of getting to CA. It's just not as cheap as it used to be- and probably wont be like that for awhile, If ever again!