Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/02/2008  (Read 40116 times)

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/02/2008
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2008, 10:02:25 PM »
So that's the Vegas wheel. It may work fine for TPIR Live, but man... it looked bad on TV. It's smaller, looser, the sounds don't work right, and the numbers on the scoreboard looked weird. All because of that stupid purple wheel debacle. :roll:

Be honest... who else thought Drew was actually going to tell everyone that the Vegas wheel was being used when he said, "Let me tell you something special about the wheel today"? Since he apparently bashed the purple wheel on-air, I thought he just might mention that the Vegas wheel was being used when he said that.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Lauren
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2008, 10:30:46 PM »
Switcheroo: I was about to fuss at the way Beverly was taking time to ask the Peanut Gallery about what numbers to set. Plus, I was under the impression the chocolate mill was the lowest at $15; thinking she got it right on the second try. Now I realize that it was because I was thinking about that Cliff Hangers "$10 chocolate mill" moment last season.

Make Your Move: Once again, the zeroes help well.

Side by Side: I feel sorry for myself and Susan B. for selecting $3348. Sorry.

Showcase Showdown: I felt good a little bit when I saw the former dollar signs on the Wheel, but then I began to notice some other differences like the gold borders and that tacky readout. From reading the thread so far, now I know.

One Wrong Price: "As long as you don't pick the $980 mower, your odds are narrowed. Rodney picks the $980 mower."

Pass the Buck: "Ah, thinking we're going to play Gas Money again, but knowing we're playing Pass the Buck."

Pick-a-Number: Kinda like One Wrong Price today, I knew it could could not be 9 for that fun player piano.

Showcases: Ah, I now have a much heavy respect for "Showcase '83". I praise it like it's a hymnal cue or something. Matter of fact, I'm listening to it as I finish this post.
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline Corbinq27

• In Contestant's Row
  • Coming soon to my website...
    • Corbin's World
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2008, 10:49:30 PM »
I can proudly say that the episode shown during the second showcase on the Hi-Def TV was none other than the first taped purple wheel episode (Taped July 20th, 1 PM) because, if you watch carefully, two people are running towards contestant's row and the one who isn't supposed to be there was my mom!  No joke!  (My mom thought her name had been called, but she was mistaken). :-D  Blooper reel maybe?

Anyway, I second the idea that the beeps on the vegas wheel were manually done, although that is only speculation.  I thought it was cool to see the Vegas wheel but I must agree that it did look terrible.  I have to say, the purple wheel doesn't look THAT bad in comparison!  I must admit that the purple wheel is strange looking, but it at least functions and does look pretty cool.

Offline Dietevil

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2008, 10:51:21 PM »
Loved Drew's entrance, laughed very hard at the end of SCSD#1, agree that the wheel was at $0.70 for Lauren's first spin.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2008, 11:01:05 PM »
Moreso than any other episode they've aired so far, this show felt like Roger was still running it -- probably because it was taped the first week back from the summer break, and they hadn't had time to change a whole lot besides the Big Wheel yet.  This was especially noticeable during the Showcase, which for the first time all season really sounded like the Showcase is supposed to.

Speaking of which...good Lord, that Vegas wheel looked ridiculous.  The numbers looked goofy, the scoreboard was a joke, and worst of all, the beeping wasn't even in synch with the wheel.  Thank God that thing was only used for one episode.

I know we've harped endlessly on this...but God, Drew needs to host Switcheroo more like Bob.

Did anyone else notice how pissed Susan looked when she lost Side by Side?  I have a hard time feeling bad for her...really, the right answer looked a lot better than the wrong one, and it's her own fault she didn't win.

As for the wheel moving on to 70...like it or not, there is precedent for how to handle it going on long after everyone thought it had finished moving, and that precedent supports what was done today.  (Not that I think anyone actually noticed it -- but fortunately, the precedent supports what the outcome is when no one notices.)

It seems almost everybody (certainly on this board) knows [how to play Switcheroo].  But this is another situation where Drew just doesn't get it!

Actually, I think the problem is that most people don't get that -- which is exactly why, as the rest of your post correctly states, Drew needs to reinforce it.

Also did anyone notice that the showcase podium on the Race Game curtain has been changed has been changed from the Barker era style to the Carey era style?

That happened at the beginning of last season.

Yeah, I meant a day there, lol. So here comes the purple wheel tomorrow, maybe...

We've already stated several times that the purple wheel episodes are not going to be aired until later in the season.

Anyone notice that the Switcheroo contestant didn't even bother to change one of the prizes on the second go-round? I think it was the car, even...

A simple check of the recap shows that it wasn't.

The Vegas Wheel - I liked the smooth way the digits looked, especially in HD. Sure, the "beeper" was off, but that's no huge big.

Really?  I think the lack of synched beeps is a big problem -- it's one of those things you don't realize the importance of until you see an episode where it doesn't happen.  It's too hard to follow the wheel when there's nothing to back up your perception of how fast it's going.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2008, 11:01:36 PM »
Drew's entrance made me laugh. I thought he was doing what Bob had done during the famous "Susan" episode, since the 4th contestant took a while coming down, it seemed.

Did I hear Drew say "If the price is anything other than $900, you win" during OWP? If I did, well, it was.  :P

I doubt that besides the exception of the scoreboard, the casual viewer would notice that it was a different wheel. But since I'm not a casual viewer, I did.  :P

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2008, 11:06:27 PM »
Wow. Just... wow. I can't believe this is a serious post.

We all had a good laugh today at lunch when Drew danced around with the contestant during the first Showcase Showdown, and the entrance was pretty funny too. I'd imagine the old folks at the retirement home had a good laugh. ...

Amen Brother! There are some things that I disagree with that Drew does, as I'm sure you do too.  When  I think of Drew, he reminds me a little of Gene Rayburn. Gene Rayburn did some of the most hilarious things that made him look unprofessional. Although I'm sure some of you never watched Match Game, what I'm finding funny is that we think it's okay if Gene does hilarious things, but it's not okay if Drew does it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 04:02:44 AM by Joe_Capitano »
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2008, 11:18:39 PM »
The Price is Right and Match Game are two completely different game shows.  Match Game works better when it's all played for a laugh.  And while The Price is Right is certainly not the stiff that Jeopardy! is, it's also not Match Game, and shouldn't be Match Game.

Offline TPIRSteven

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2008, 12:14:06 AM »
After the first half of the show, I was just about ready to praise the pricing game lineup... then the second half hit.  Although I didn't mind seeing Pass the Buck, it would have been nice to see something like Take Two instead of One Wrong Price and anything other than Pick-a-Number.

Switcheroo:  Tough luck here, although having five consecutive numbers made this quite tough.  Still, I found it pretty obvious that the lantern and the voice recorder were fairly expensive, so the car was likely to have a lower number.

Make Your Move:  This was a piece of cake.  The four possible prices for the tea set were $289, $940, $081, and $160.  Of these, $940 was the only one that made any sense whatsoever, which made the other two prices fall into place.

Side By Side:  I thought $3,348 looked too cheap.  Unfortunately, Susan and I were both wrong.

Showcase Showdown 1:  Thank you all for the Vegas Wheel explanation -- I'd have never figured that out on my own!  I agree that Drew should have said something about it to the viewers; I knew something was amiss when the beeps were out of sync.  I liked the font, though.

One Wrong Price:  The sofa looked like it was priced too high, although I can easily see how somebody would think the lawn mower was worth more than $980.

Pass the Buck:  Susan had some bad luck on the board.

Pick-a-Number:  I see they saved the worst game for last.  $7,500 was definitely the obvious choice.  Too bad Lauren didn't go with it.

Showcase Showdown 2:  Rodney came so close to winning... tough luck.

Showcases:  I managed to get my first money win on CSS by missing the first showcase by just $482! :-D  This is probably dead wrong, but I figured $10,000 for the dining room, $8,000 for the jukebox, and around $500-$1,000 for the dance lessons.  Unfortunately, my glory was short-lived, because I then immediately garfed the car.  As I said in the CSS thread, I need to realize that a Chrysler 300 is worth more than $20K. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 12:16:06 AM by TPIRSteven »

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2008, 01:46:47 AM »
This purple wheel must look really bad if it was worth bringing in the Vegas wheel for this one episode, with its off-timed beeping and all.

I was surprised, I actually thought Drew's opening act was pretty funny, especially the "Crowd! Crowd! Crowd!" bit. I can't say I liked his Switcheroo hosting job as much.

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2008, 01:47:54 AM »
That happened at the beginning of last season.

No kidding.  I guess I haven't noticed.  They must of done it a week or two into Season 36 because the header of this site still has the Barker era podium.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2008, 08:24:20 AM »
No kidding.  I guess I haven't noticed.  They must [have] done it a week or two into Season 36 because the header of this site still has the Barker era podium.

Not to my knowledge, they didn't.  The graphic on the G-R header was simply never changed that way.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2008, 08:25:14 AM »
Nick said:
If we get another show tomorrow that's been as hard to tolerate as the last two, I'm going to have to pull out some good old '80s Barker episodes this weekend in a serious way.  This show was very painful to watch, and it was largely because of Drew.  From his terrible entrance to ridiculous antics at the end of the first Showcase Showdown, he was all around just very intolerable today.

Uh, I've seen Pat Sajak do the same on "Wheel of Fortune" — celebrate excitedly with winning contestants. Why hold Drew to a different standard?

And while I'm thinking of it, pull out some of those old "Let's Make a Deal" tapes with Monty Hall. Did he dance around and act silly with exhuberant contestants? You betcha!

Brian

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2008, 08:30:28 AM »
temptation79ga said:
Drew, on the other hand, has started making a weird entrance almost daily. That's a little too much, "Hey, look at me" for my liking. It was fun for a day or so, but for me, it's kind of like when Drew would walk up and put his face right at the camera in the showcase showdown...it was funny the first time or two, but then it got old in a hurry.

So did it get old "in a hurry" when Gene Rayburn made "wierd" entrances every day on "Match Game 7x"/"Match Game PM"/"Match Game"?

Look, not to sound like a Drew fanatic — yes, I agree he has his faults — but let him be himself. It seems several people on here aren't so much critical of his hosting abilities as they are missing Bob and want Drew to "be Bob." That's not going to happen. Sure, Drew makes some mistakes (e.g., his well-intended "Switcheroo" strategy of making the car a priority), but he's having a good time and so are most of the contestants. Cut him a break.

Brian
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 08:32:47 AM by Briguy »

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2008, 08:34:39 AM »
SteveGavazzi said:
I think the lack of synched beeps is a big problem -- it's one of those things you don't realize the importance of until you see an episode where it doesn't happen.  It's too hard to follow the wheel when there's nothing to back up your perception of how fast it's going.

Uh, wasn't there a lack of synchronization with the Big Wheel beeps back in the mid-1970s, when it was first introduced? I thought I had seen them, but I could be mistaken.

Brian