Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/02/2008  (Read 39878 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/02/2008
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2008, 07:36:54 PM »
SteveGavazzi said:
Uh, wasn't there a lack of synchronization with the Big Wheel beeps back in the mid-1970s, when it was first introduced? I thought I had seen them, but I could be mistaken.

Brian

No...I used to think so, too, but having seen a number of shows from that era, I'm pretty sure it's a result of online uploads where all of the audio is out of synch with the video.  It's also possible that the colors that trigger the beeper were just aligned differently -- they seem to show up at different times than we're used to, but they still clearly each correspond to the wheel moving to a different space, which is never true on shows where the sounds are being controlled from the booth.

It's been awhile since the clip has appeared on one of his flashback specials (I think it appeared on one of the 20th anniversary week shows from 1991); I think the clip said the show from which it was taken aired in 1973. But it was where Bob greeted a young woman on stage over by the Giant Price Tag, he interviewed her, and she wanted to get a kiss from him.

Bob more than obliged ... and the woman was thrilled! Though dignified, the female contestant reacted like she had won a big prize.

Brian

I've never understood how everyone gets this out of that clip...as far as I've ever been able to make out, the contestant was groping Bob.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline The Square

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2008, 09:00:25 PM »
I think that after eight episodes of a mostly silver colored wheel with large silver Pricedown dollar signs on the sides and a bright score display, people are going to notice that this wasn't the same wheel. It didn't look as small as I expected it to, though.

As far as Drew's entrances go, I have to admit that's one area where he is being himself, which is of course what Bob's advice was to whoever would be his successor. It's in Drew's style to take something that he probably views as boring and repetitive, like coming through the doors, and doing goofy things to make it more entertaining. And if he can keep it from getting over the top, or trying too hard, then I don't mind if he puts his own little twist on it. Especially if it keeps him in a good mood, because when Drew's in a bad mood, it really shows on TV and brings the whole show down.

Of course, since making different entrances is a way of doing the show in his own style, which is what a good host should do, it then becomes a question of whether a host of Drew's style is the right fit for The Price is Right. But that's a discussion for a completely different type of thread.

Offline Pushover72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2008, 10:51:01 PM »
I Especially if it keeps him in a good mood, because when Drew's in a bad mood, it really shows on TV and brings the whole show down.

Which constantly amazes me because he is suppossed to be a professional (and they are paying him a lot of money!).  When he does that he acts more like a spoiled child.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2008, 02:52:32 AM »
It's a good thing they only used the Vegas wheel for one episode.  The beeps were off, the numbers looked weird, the scoreboard was hard to read, and it obviously looked much smaller than the actual wheel.  And from what it looked like on my TV, the arrow from Lauren's 1st spin in SCSD #2 seemed to have landed right in the middle between 45 and 70.  But really, was it that necessary to shell out a lot of money to transfer the wheel for one episode?  Couldn't they have just stuck with the purple wheel for one more episode?  Honestly, I can't imagine the purple wheel being that bad to warrant an action like this. (Maybe it is, but I'm trying to be in a positive mood.)

On a sad note, though, barring a Christmas episode being rerun from last year, this will probably be the last time we see the wheel as it was for the past 20 years.

I thought the opening was hilarious!  Hopefully Drew won't go too over the top, though.

Wow, Switcheroo was awful!  Drew definitely needs to encourage the contestant to get the small prizes right because that eliminates choices for the car.

Make Your Move was great!  That was really the only logical placement for all three of the prizes.

Technically, Rodney wins since Drew said "If the lawn mower is anything but $900, you win." :lol: :D

That was cool the contestant actually got to pass the buck this time.  I hope the contestant gets to do it more often.  At least Susan walked away with something.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2008, 02:27:46 PM »
You know, I just took a look at this show on InnerTube...and that spin everybody's worried over never went to 70.  The pointer never left the peg until the contestant grabbed the wheel to take her second spin, which makes it a totally legit 45.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.