Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/03/2008  (Read 34231 times)

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/03/2008
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 03:57:09 PM »
5-digit Pushover:  Good job! :-)  I would've been pretty shocked if $16,175 would not have been right.
Hole In One:  How awful! :cry:  I'm glad Drew made the Inspiration Putt, though! :-)  I think this is the first time Drew's ever made the Inspiration Putt on daytime.  I saw him make one on a Million Dollar Spectatular once, but I don't remember ever seeing him make it on daytime.
Danger Price:  I can't believe Ryan picked the cookware over the crib! :headbang:
SCSD#1:  What a heartbreaker on the Bonus Spin! :cry:  I think that, on the Bonus Spin, if the Big Wheel doesn't make it all the way around at least once, the contestant should get one, and only one redo.  I'm also glad the regular Big Wheel is back. :-)  BTW, it didn't get interrupted here.  
Squeeze Play:  To obad! :-(
Cover Up:  I thought Renee had it when she covered up the 5 with the 2! :shocked:
1 Right Price:  Rats! :-(  I would've picked the TV.  I figured it would be more expensive than the clock.
SCSD#2:  Boy, Charlene spun herself right into the ground!  I wonder if she would've fallen on her second spin if Drew wouldn't have been standing behind her.  BTW, what happened to the lights? ???
Showcases:  That first showcase was interesting and it was nice to see Rich on camera! :-)

Definitely not the way to end the week, but it still could've been worse.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 04:01:24 PM by Cartboy »
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline PriceForever

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 04:57:28 PM »
I used to watch Price for 60 minutes of utter enjoyment and now I find myself watching and centering on all the things that annoy me.  so here goes...

The intros to the items that they bid on to get up on stage do NOT need those cutesy-wutsey intros.

I felt Drew did not bring any excitement to Cover-Up...escpeically at the very last number.  She lost and he doesn't handlle loses well as a host.

The first showcase, i guess from Drew's laughing and giggling , was supposed to be "wacky."  I can put up with one of these every so ofter, but, if this is the way showcases are going to become (as been hinted at from people who have been there) then I am very worried.  I never cared for the gimmick showcases when Bob was on either.  (still it's nice to see Rich on camera)

And is Rich beginning to go "over the top" with his description of the prizes?  He's slowly beginning to sound like a typical "gameshow" announcer that you would find  on a cheesy cable gameshow.

And, please, enough with the recapping of the prizes at the end of the showcase.  In a few weeks, that's going to become real tiresome.

There, I said it, and I hope next week I won't have anything  to center on except enjoying the show (But I don't think any of these things will go away)

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 05:25:13 PM »
Hole-In-One: Drew makes his first putt in the daytime!

SS #2: Where were the lights? Somebody forgot to plug them in!

Showcase #1: AWESOME. If you didn't find this funny, then you don't get it, you're not paying attention, or you have no sense of humor.

Question: Anybody know when the last time we had a showcase featuring the announcer was? I know Rich hasn't had any before, and Rod stopped appearing on camera in 2003, so it had to be before then...
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 05:46:51 PM »
But she also had a puny first spin ...

But the first spin counted, the bonus spin didn't. There is a distinction, historically speaking.

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 05:49:16 PM »
Push Over: I was about to lock in 17589, but 16175 seemed better.

One Bid 2: Oh, the potsy 420 bid...

hole in one: the only thing good was drews putt

Danger Price: From the start, I was repeating "crib". Too bad Ryan didn't pick it in the end.

Showcase Showdown 1: With Sheila's first weak spin, I said that it officially went around but not a full 360. I then said to spin it HARD, all the way around. Oh! by just a centimeter!

Squeeze Play: I knew not to pick the 9; I was more towards the 8.

Cover Up: Krikes!

One Bid 6: Krikes again!

1 Right Price: With a high price of $5999, it's gotta be the television, no question about it. "Krikey!"

Showcases: Oh, boy. This was a very unusual first Showcase. Still liked it.
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 05:50:05 PM »
I'm gonna rant and rave again about the lineup. I'm just tired of seeing boring ol' quick games permeate the lineups, yes I know timecuts have hurt it but still having Squeezy, Pushy, and 1 Right Price all put together in the same lineup just stinks--it just does. I am a firm believer that just because Hole-In One showed today didn't mean the SP game had to be eliminated.

These "el quicko" lineups are just frustrating to myself.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 05:55:26 PM »
J-Shea's added new clips.  Good, I need them at a time like this.

Drew's behaviour cannot be natural.  There's no way he's so moody to be elated with a contestant's win one segment then completely depressed at their loss in another.  It would seem to me that he's faking his emotions a lot of the time, which really isn't good to watch or a good quality for an MC.

Hole in One's flags first had the More or Less font on them today?

Also with Hole in One, it seems they've put new turf on the SP stand.  Looks nice.

The Shea's do like The Price Is Right, especially J. :)

I don't understand how Ryan managed to lose on quite simply one of the easiest final choices for Danger Price I've seen in a long time.  Did he honestly believe the crib could be only $512?

Guys, I really don't care if Rich was on camera for the first Showcase or not, the first Showcase absolutely blew.  That was easily the worst Showcase writing I've ever seen on the show.  They tried to come up with a plug for cash...  Lines were all over the place with little structure or organization.  The idea was fine, but it's execution and presentation format just didn't work at all.  It was not the kind of structure that was used for a Showcase's presentation at any time in the last thirty-six years.  It was cheesy, lame, unconnected, and makes me very concerned about what kind of have-effort Showcase themes they'll try to put out next thinking they're funny, or rather, funny in the opinion of one person.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 05:56:05 PM »
Of all the days I have to work, it just had to be on a day Rich appears in a SC skit!  Blasted store manager of mine, GRRR!  :-x
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 06:03:33 PM »
When was the last time two car games were played in the same half (not counting primetime specials, season premieres, or milestone episodes)?
Last Friday--September 26.  Safe Crackers was played for a car, and Any Number was also played in the same half.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 06:06:08 PM »
Push Over: I said $16,175 for the car as well.

Hole In One (or Two): FINALLY! Drew sinks his putt! Sheila's putts were just pitiful.  :evil:

Danger Price: Ryan's fate was sealed the moment he picked the cookware which resulted in a loss.

Squeeze Play: It was either $7596 (which was the right one) or $7896.

Cover Up: I thought it was a 2 there.  :evil:

One Right Price: I said the clock too.  :-?

Showcases: That first showcase was rather interesting there. Great seeing Rich on camera.  :biggrin:

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 06:38:19 PM »
Did anyone notice what was different about the opening titles: the "color" was an animated gradient!  (It's hard to explain - go back and watch it!) :)

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 06:41:55 PM »
Howie:

Three car days are not all that uncommon and since Pushover is not techncially a "car" game (see Dice, Cover, Card, etx.), this would definitely fall into the simple "three car day".  

Do you guys now think I was overstating my feelings about what I wrote on savethepriceisright.com?  If you liked today's SC#1, then you are gonna be overjoyed in the next weeks to come and will probably love the senseless pie fight.  If you didn't, well....the next four to six weeks might be tough on you.

I personally thought it was awful.  Rich and Drew being on camera simply for the sake of being on camera is just plain yucky.  It wasn't a skit, it wasn't themed, it was just 100% yuck.   And neither of them seemed remotely interested in what they were saying.  Yuck!

Don't get me wrong.  I've in the past pined for getting Rich involved with some SC themes, but not like this.

Offline Pushover72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 07:23:34 PM »
It was downright silly in the showcase to describe the cash.  I don't know if they were serious with the description of the money or whether they thought it was funny.  I thought it was unneccessary and took away from the plain old-fashioned thrill of seeing money as a prize.

That definitely must of been Drew's showcase.  He laughed at it a little too much like he was real proud of it.  I sort of felt (believe it or not) embarrassed for him.  It was a stupid showcase and he was laughing a little too hard and too much.

And I really resented that statement that because you drive a hybrid you can now feel you're better than others...I know it was meant to be a joke but I still found it kind of an elitist joke---lot of people won't get it and will take it at face value.

And I agree that Rich does sound a little different...especially when he says "a new carrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr."  He's a little off from his announcing---like he's TRYING to be extra upbeat.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 07:26:34 PM »
Pushover: I thought it was obvious $16,175 would be the right price, and fortunately, I was right.

Hole in 1 (or 2): Drew finally makes a putt in daytime and his 2nd total putt!  That was definitely a highlight of today’s show!  I hope that’s a sign of things to come in this game.

Squeeze Play: I would have removed the 8; it just didn’t look right.

Cover Up: I got an EXACTA, thanks to knowing that nowadays the fourth digit is almost always the lowest non-zero number.

One Right Price:  When I first saw the floor clock, I thought it said $6000 and thought to myself “Only $1 separating the two prizes?  Now that’s not nice”.  I went with the television and would have won the game.

Prior to the beginning of the 1st Showcase, it sounded like there was a voiceover after Drew introduced the two contestants.  Did anyone else hear that?

Showcase 1: We’ve dreamed about it, and it finally happened!  After all these years!  Rich is on camera during the Showcase!  As for the description that went along with the cash, I didn’t think it was necessary.  Also, I think it might have worked better if it was the 2nd showcase, since it was like they were out of prizes, which would more sense if it wasn’t the first one.  Other than that, it was a wonderful showcase.  Of course, this type of showcase shouldn’t happen often, but I didn’t mind watching it today.

SC1: My Bid: $26,115 / Diff: $7,173
SC2: My Bid: $21,440 / Diff: $19,936

Actually, I thought the worst showcase themes came during the latter Rod Roddy era.
Could you describe one of those showcases?

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 07:29:30 PM »
Joker, I'm guessing that Bri is talking about the endless word association showcases that were overly abundant for several years before Season 33.  And they were bad, but bad in a "really lame theme" sort of way.  This showcase was bad in a worse way.  Not sure how to better explain it.

Quote from: Nick
The idea [for the first showcase] was fine, but it's execution and presentation format just didn't work at all.  It was not the kind of structure that was used for a Showcase's presentation at any time in the last thirty-six years.

Exactly.  It was an idea that could've worked--there not being any prizes, and Rich having to scrounge around for anything in the back, or something--but the execution killed whatever potential was there.  And on a related note, the plug for the $1000 was painful.

It's really too bad, since I'm sure most of us have always wanted Rich to play a big role in a showcase.  Just not like this one.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 07:33:12 PM by Frank15 »