Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/03/2008  (Read 34039 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/03/2008
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2008, 09:04:18 PM »
This was easily the best show of the season thus far, and possibly the best show since Bob retired.  Drew was really on top of his game and never gave off a vibe of not caring.  This was made even better by the fact that only one game was won -- Drew acted appropriately disappointed for each of the other contestants, but he never let it bring the whole show down.  The whole episode felt...well, like something out of the Barker era.  There were still a few things that weren't all that great, but they were all "we need Roger back" issues that weren't related to Drew's hosting.  If he can keep giving performances like this on a daily basis, there may still be some hope for The Price Is Right.

There's been a lot of badly written showcases lately.  Today's first showcase was not one of them.  The whole thing was carried off beautifully, and I loved how they actually gave Rich prize copy for the $1,000.  (I do have to wonder, though, why they didn't end it with some version of, "and this showcase can be yours if the price is right.")  Actually, the whole Showcase today was good -- I'm still not a fan of the summaries, but they at least fit in a little better today than usual, and again, Drew did some of his best hosting of that segment ever.

Tom did bring up a good point while we were discussing the show tonight, though:  If they're going to do a whole presentation centered around running out of prizes...shouldn't it be in the second showcase?

This was easily the worst playing of Hole in One I've ever seen.  Never mind the pricing -- the putting itself was atrocious.  I'm not trying to knock Sheila or anything -- I mean, she seemed like a nice person, and some people (myself included) just can't golf -- but really, once she'd taken her first putt, you knew there was no way she was going to win.

Speaking of Sheila, her bonus spin was one of the most painful things I've seen in a long time.  It looked for all the world like she was going to win $11,000.

Did anyone notice what was different about the opening titles: the "color" was an animated gradient!  (It's hard to explain - go back and watch it!) :)

I noticed that, too -- sorta neat, and I'm glad to see somebody confirm that this is the first time they've done it.

Do you guys now think I was overstating my feelings about what I wrote on savethepriceisright.com?  If you liked today's SC#1, then you are gonna be overjoyed in the next weeks to come and will probably love the senseless pie fight.  If you didn't, well....the next four to six weeks might be tough on you.

I personally thought it was awful.  Rich and Drew being on camera simply for the sake of being on camera is just plain yucky.  It wasn't a skit, it wasn't themed, it was just 100% yuck.   And neither of them seemed remotely interested in what they were saying.  Yuck!

Honest to God, I enjoyed it...but at the same time, I'm not sure I want to see this kind of thing repeatedly.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline woohookitty

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2008, 09:10:45 PM »
Actually, I thought the worst showcase themes came during the latter Rod Roddy era. At least they were better during Season 36 ... haven't seen too many from Season 37, so I can't really comment on that. The best showcases, hands down, came during the Johnny Olson era.

Great point. I think that the showcases started going downhill when they stopped having the time to do any real theme. 90 seconds or 2 minutes just isn't enough time to do anything substantial. I mean you watch the early TPiRs and they would literally have 5-6 prize showcases with full skits (look at the 2 showcases Roger was involved in on YT). I don't think it's the copy or anything else. The worst enemy on TPiR has been time more than anything else. It's why the showcases are shorter. It's why they are editing out overbids. It's why we have more quickies played for a car than ever before. It's why games like 3 Strikes (and I bet eventually 10 Chances) are getting shortened. Has nothing to do with Drew or Fingers or Stan or anything else. It's lack of time.

Offline The Square

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2008, 09:12:10 PM »
I miss the way Bob would build up the second car when two games in a row were played for cars. Drew mentioned that it was the second car of the day after the car was described, but it didn't have the same impact.

Pushover for a car was pretty easy, but Hole in One was incredibly hard. I don't think anybody would have been able to putt anywhere other than that first line.

Danger Price shouldn't have been lost that way. Either the shoes or the cookware was $512, but once Ryan got the shoes out of the way, I thought he won.

I love the idea of putting the camera on Rich during the showcase, but that was confusing. As JokerFan pointed out, why were they talking about there being no prizes if the second showcase was full of prizes? If there weren't any prizes, why was the trailer just sitting there waiting for Rich to point at it? Why did we see Drew's reaction after Japan was shown, but not either of the contestant's?

I'm confused about the second showcase too. It didn't feel like the showcases that used to be on the show recently, so I assume it was written by Drew. But if Drew wrote the second showcase, then that means he was laughing at his own joke at the end.

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2008, 09:35:31 PM »
If you liked today's SC#1, then you are gonna be overjoyed in the next weeks to come and will probably love the senseless pie fight.  If you didn't, well....the next four to six weeks might be tough on you.

Glad to know I'll be enjoying Price for weeks to come!
Signatures are overrated.

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2008, 10:05:41 PM »
Gosh it is been a LONG time since I've commented in a Recap thread.

I'm with Steve...I enjoyed the first Showcase.  Although, I think it would have been better if it was the 2nd SC.  Running out of SC ideas...I guess after 37 years that is a great possiblity.   I thought the prize copy of $1000 was pretty funny, it was just about to get over the top when they ended it.    It did need the "if the price is right" ending though.  I also think it would have been better with a car (perhaps a corvette) instead of a trailer, but it was what it was.

Once in a while, this is OK, but if they did it daily, I think I'd get sick of it really quick.

That bonus spin was the most painful thing I've seen since the Million Dollar spin.

I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2008, 10:07:11 PM »
The intros to the items that they bid on to get up on stage do NOT need those cutesy-wutsey intros.

Maybe it's me, but does anyone else not mind these? For the most part, they really don't bother me that much.

It was an idea that could've worked--there not being any prizes, and Rich having to scrounge around for anything in the back, or something--but the execution killed whatever potential was there.

I can sort of agree with this. Not that I didn't like the showcase mind you, but it could have been made even better if Rich really was scrounging around by his podium, and he found things related to the prizes (maybe some change to represent cash, a kimono or something for Japan, etc).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 10:11:27 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2008, 10:28:41 PM »
Tom did bring up a good point while we were discussing the show tonight, though:  If they're going to do a whole presentation centered around running out of prizes...shouldn't it be in the second showcase?

I have to agree (and the little lady agreed too) - it would've made more sense if they did it as the second showcase... but nevertheless, it went off beautifully.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2008, 10:43:03 PM »
Maybe it's me, but does anyone else not mind [the new IUFB intros]? For the most part, they really don't bother me that much.

It kinda depends...how annoying they are is inversely proportional to how natural Rich is able to make them sound.  As I said the other day..."For the athlete in the family..." for some sporting equipment isn't all that bad, but "Break out the barbecue sauce, Drew!" for a grill is just ridiculous.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline TPIRSteven

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2008, 11:17:44 PM »
Push Over:  A great win, as everybody (including the crowd, Sharon, and myself) got it right!

Hole in One:  Tough luck with the grocery items, and Sheila didn't help herself any by missing the putts so badly.  At least Drew made the inspiration putt!   :-)

Danger Price:  I can't believe Ryan chose the cookware over the crib!  Not to say that I'd have done better; I thought the shoes were $512.

Showcase Showdown 1:  I was afraid that Sheila would bomb her bonus spin after she struggled to get it around the first time.

Squeeze Play:  I said remove the 5, Charlene picked the 9, and both of us were wrong.

Cover Up:  Renee failed to use any kind of strategy.  The first, second, and last numbers were all dead obvious, so she should have easily been able to guarantee herself 3-4 chances if she had played it properly.  It turns out that the lowest choice for the 4th number won again!

One Bid 6:  Wow!  Two perfect bids in one show! :)

One Right Price:  I actually found this to be a tricky setup.  I knew the TV was expensive, but I also knew the clock was big bucks, as well.

Showcases:  My first reaction to SC1 was "You've got to be kidding me!"  I know some people have spoken out that they think otherwise, and I respect their opinions, but I just found the whole execution of this idea to be a big train wreck.  I agree that the idea of being short on prizes could have worked brilliantly if executed correctly, but this was not the way to do it.  I found it to be more cheesy than funny, and it didn't "flow" well at all -- there was absolutely no continuity linking the prizes together.

We had what I would call an up and down show today.  It started off on a high note with a car win in Push Over, but quickly sank to the dumps with five straight losses after that.  Drew's inspiration putt was another plus, but Sheila's puny bonus spin was another "ugh" moment.  A couple of perfect bids in Contestant's Row helped bring the show up a notch, but the second showcase sent it right down the tubes in my opinion.

Offline Sean2499

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2008, 11:27:20 PM »
that was a good episode it's gets a number 1 from me. :biggrin:

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2008, 11:28:31 PM »
Did anyone notice what was different about the opening titles: the "color" was an animated gradient!  (It's hard to explain - go back and watch it!) :)

Yeah, I picked up on that right away.  I can't believe they felt the need to mess even with the opening titles.  They're already too animated now as it is with them spinning off the screen now as well as spinning on.  The text doesn't need any added animation, in my opinion.

Exactly.

Could you not have said, "Nick is exactly right"? :oldlol:

It was an idea that could've worked--there not being any prizes, and Rich having to scrounge around for anything in the back, or something--but the execution killed whatever potential was there.  And on a related note, the plug for the $1000 was painful.

It's really too bad, since I'm sure most of us have always wanted Rich to play a big role in a showcase.  Just not like this one.

You've hit the nail on the head again, Frank.  Watching this didn't really feel like watching a Showcase.  Again, I'll emphasise that I had no problem with the idea.  It was the way it was presented.  I have a hard time calling this a Showcase because it truly didn't have the format of a Showcase like we knew for thirty-six years.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 11:30:08 PM by Nick »
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline bduddy

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2008, 12:43:15 AM »
Can someone please explain ~the~ showcase? I'm really curious now, given that about half the topic seems to love it and the other hates it...

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2008, 12:47:23 AM »
Go see it for yourself - it was posted in the Video Collection.

Long story short - the theme was Rich had to scrounge up some prizes for the showcase because the show ran out of 'em, and Drew kept asking him for more prizes.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 12:57:37 AM by mrbrown2195 »
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline bduddy

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2008, 12:58:27 AM »
Thanks-wow, you guys are fast! I think I have to agree with what a couple others have said - the idea was good, certainly not an insult to TPiR as some seem to think, but the execution was a little lacking. The cash plug was funny, though, and if you didn't like it I'm not sure you're really getting it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 02:26:08 AM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2008, 03:02:19 AM »
Pushover: Wow, for a car at that!  A great win to start out the day.

Hole in One: Woo, 3 car day!  Hurray, Drew made his inspiration putt!  Maybe Sheila needs to take some lessons from him. :lol:

Danger Price: You mean to tell me that Ryan thought that really expensive-looking cradle was $512?? :headbang:
Doesn't shock me that much, though, especially after that 420 bid.

SCSD #1: Man, today was apparently not Sheila's day.  First, she couldn't manage to sink a putt.  Then, she misses extra money by mere millimeters!  That was just painful to watch.

Showcases: I thought the first showcase was great, except for one problem: it should have been the 2nd showcase!  Other than that, I'd have to say it was one of the best ones I've seen this season.
All Hail Sinfonia!