Author Topic: Not just a TV...a COLOR TV!  (Read 4876 times)

Offline bob_barker_86

• In the Audience
Not just a TV...a COLOR TV!
« on: August 14, 2006, 11:51:29 AM »
Now, in the year 2006, do they still need to specify that a television being given away is a "color" TV?  I can understand that being specified before about 1988, but honestly, we speak of TVs today as being HDTV or SDTV, or Digital vs. NTSC, not color or black-and-white.

I like keeping the 70s elements of TPIR, but that is one thing that needs to change.

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
Re: Not just a TV...a COLOR TV!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 12:44:34 PM »
Not really anymore.  I don't think they sell black-and-white TVs anymore.
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 01:20:10 PM »

GoldenBulldog wrote:
I don't think they sell black-and-white TVs anymore.

You think wrong.  They're still sold.  You can't find them everywhere, but they're out there.

Therefore, because they still exist, the plug should be left alone.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 04:29:36 PM »
But couldn't you use that same analogy to claim they still need to mention the cars' power steering, power brakes, etc.?

I just like the phrase "color TV".

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 04:33:40 PM »
Really, it's not needed, but there's no reason to take it away. The word "color" takes what, 1 second to say?

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 04:35:23 PM »
Yeah... unless a TV is specifically mentioned to be black and white nowadays, it's color.  Guess it's just something they do because they always have.  It was probably more important to mention than when the show first started, especially since back then they didn't show images on the TV.

But yeah, I've actually seen a black and white TV at Wal*Mart last year.  Around $45 for a 5-inch, or close to 5-inch, portable black and white TV.  Mostly just caught my interest slightly because I'd hardly ever seen black and white TVs.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 04:50:12 PM »
I think the original poster was referring to the labels on games like Switch?, Shopping Spree, etc., that say "COLOR TV" as opposed to just "TV" or maybe "TELEVISION".

I would guess that part of the reason is that they already have the "COLOR TV" cards in storage from years ago, so it's cheaper to reuse them than to print new ones.

(Have they used a television in Credit Card or Magic # since the font change?)
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline bob_barker_86

• In the Audience
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 06:51:11 PM »

MSTieScott wrote:
I think the original poster was referring to the labels on games like Switch?, Shopping Spree, etc., that say "COLOR TV" as opposed to just "TV" or maybe "TELEVISION".

I would guess that part of the reason is that they already have the "COLOR TV" cards in storage from years ago, so it's cheaper to reuse them than to print new ones.

(Have they used a television in Credit Card or Magic # since the font change?)

I was actually referring to the copy Rich reads during the IUFB.  This morning's repeat had him state "a color TV!".

Offline bob_barker_86

• In the Audience
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 06:54:53 PM »

Punchboard91 wrote:
Really, it's not needed, but there's no reason to take it away. The word "color" takes what, 1 second to say?

Of course it's not a waste of time to say it, but it's an insult to the intelligence of some viewers who KNOW that a TV being given away will be not only in colour, but probably have a digital tuner and HDTV capability.

Offline CrimsonViper

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 07:42:41 PM »
bob_barker_86 wrote:
Of course it's not a waste of time to say it, but it's an insult to the intelligence of some viewers who KNOW that a TV being given away will be not only in colour, but probably have a digital tuner and HDTV capability.

Well, since no one has sued The Price is Right for supposedly criticizing the audience's intelligence by mentioning "Color TV", no one cares!

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 09:00:49 PM »

bob_barker_86 wrote:

Are you *serious*?  I honestly doubt anyone watching the show is insulted by the proper description of a prize.  

What would you have Rich say for a standard television anyway?  You've surely noticed that each prize has some adjective attached to it.  "A beautiful area rug.  A lovely dinette set.    A useful storage building."  It has a rhythm to it.  "It's a TV" would be rather boring.  

Now, I've been through 2 of your threads and each has been critical of the show.  Is there anything you like in them?

Offline timay789

• In the Audience
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 09:50:05 PM »
I mean it's like saying that a car is "new"..."It's a new car!!" Rich doesn't have to say that, we all know the car is new,  it just has a great ring to it. These scripts are written to have a rhythm to them, I would think, and saying "a color TV" does sound more rhythmic than just "a TV" as CaseyGv has already alluded to. Too nit picky!

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 01:01:12 AM »

Punchboard91 wrote:
The word "color" takes what, 1 second to say?

One second?  One second!?

THAT'S TOO MUCH!!!!!

sorry... I couldn't resist...  :oops:
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline bob_barker_86

• In the Audience
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 04:29:08 PM »
Geez, this thread didn't create the discussion I was expecting.  I was hoping this would be a lighter topic, but it's a lot more controversial than I expected.  My TPIR friends away from this site thought the "colour" reference was dumb too.