Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/06/2008  (Read 22804 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/06/2008
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 08:48:04 PM »
You know, Coming or Going would be a lot more fun if Drew would host it more like Bob did.  Sliding aspect aside, the game's name seems kind of meaningless without the whole "Prove that you know whether you're coming or going" line.

Today's Grocery Game showcased a very important aspect of The Price Is Right that I'm worried the people running it now might not understand -- the prizes aren't always as important as the show itself.  The win wasn't awesome because Christine won a boat; it was awesome because she won Grocery Game.

I'd like to see the original version of the second showcase -- the one that was written without a retarded introduction for the mirror.

I wonder if the Caddy in the Showcase was subbed in after they messed with last week's 3 Strikes.

Drew had his A game today.

You're kidding, right?  He was iffy to bad today.

Sheila's running off the Turntable after winning Check Game brought a thought to my mind:  what would happen if a contestant spontaneously ran over to a trip green screen?  How would they display that?  I'll bet they never thought of that too.

I'll bet they're still discovering reasons why that prop was a bad idea.  (I'm not talking about any incidents that I know of -- it's just that as I watch episodes now, I keep finding more and more situations where that stupid thing is going to cause problems.)

I never, ever want to hear Drew say, "It's your birthday!" again.

Yeah...that got annoying after a while, especially when he said it again after the third IUFB.

Drew did not ask Scott to cut the cards in Card Game.  I'll take that as a good thing since after he lets contestants cut the cards, he explains that he doesn't understand why.

You know, Bob was doing something similar for a while around Season 27, but not surprisingly, it worked better:  "Someone wrote to me that it doesn't matter if the contestants cut the cards, because I just spread them out on the table, anyway...and I suppose they're right, but we like to make it look like we're doing something honest."
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 08:56:30 PM »
Not an overly spectacular show.  I guess what bugged me the most is the showcases. It seems we had yet another "show everyone why you're so much better than they are" type showcase. That just gives off a bad vibe to me and changes the whole mood of the show.

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 08:58:31 PM »
You're kidding, right?  He was iffy to bad today.

You've got to be kidding me! He had little to no mumbling, had excitement the entire show, and he was just flat out awesome.
Signatures are overrated.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 09:05:50 PM »
Can't say I understand that sentiment at all...Drew did the beginning of Temptation ass-backwards and acted like a goof for the rest of the game, stumbled most of the way through Card Game, and was just kinda there during Coming or Going and 1 Right Price.  I'm not really sure how that translates to "flat out awesome."
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 11:07:14 PM by Joe_Capitano »
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 09:12:45 PM »
On Bob referencing the pointlessness of cutting the cards, one I really liked was when he mentioned somebody's letter and went into a long-winded explanation of why it was unnecessary. As soon as he was done, he said "Cut the cards, Irene." He may have even told her to cut them a second time, but I might have imagined that.

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 09:16:36 PM »
Game #16 (#6,937)

Showcase #1
Kitchen Appliances - $2,597
Dining Room - $7,584
Trip to Auckland - $9,785

Showcase #2
Broyhill Mirror - $463
Computer - $2,879
Cadillac CTS V6 - $47,986

Total show prize value:  $153,087 (23 prizes)

Your Modeling Scorecard for October 13, 2008
Daily Records
High:  $87,858 (Brandi Sherwood, 2004)
Low:  $9,157 (Shane Stirling, 2006)

Rachel Reynolds
October 13
Total dollars:
$91,844*
***NEW OCTOBER 13 RECORD***
($69,044 won, $22,800 lost)
Total prizes:  11 (9-2)
Cars, Trips: 2, 0

After 11 shows
Total dollars:  $732,783
($365,584 won, $367,199 lost)
Total prizes:  96 (60-36)
Cars, Trips: 12, 10 (5-7, 6-4)

Brandi Sherwood
October 13
Total dollars:  $16,729
($6,946 won, $9,783 lost)
Total prizes:  6 (4-2)
Cars, Trips: 0, 0

After 11 shows
Total dollars:  $572,826
($220,027 won, $352,799 lost)
Total prizes:  91 (55-36)
Cars, Trips: 11, 10 (4-7, 4-6)

Tamiko Nash
October 13
Total dollars:  $49,659
($13,787 won, $35,872 lost)
Total prizes:  9 (6-3)
Cars, Trips: 1, 2

After 11 shows
Total dollars:  $785,355
($223,244 won, $562,111 lost)
Total prizes:  85 (53-32)
Cars, Trips: 16, 10 (4-12, 5-5)

Offline Pushover72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 09:18:24 PM »
It seems we had yet another "show everyone why you're so much better than they are" type showcase. That just gives off a bad vibe to me and changes the whole mood of the show.

If Drew is writing the showcases, this sort of lets you into his mind how he perceives life.   

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »
I highly doubt that. Drew Carey has always been known as unselfish and a giving person.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 11:07:48 PM by Joe_Capitano »
Signatures are overrated.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 10:42:22 PM »
Check Game:  First win with the new range! :-) Cool! 8)
Temptation:  Good thing she walked! :-)
Coming Or Going:  Good job! :-)  Coming Or Going has a perfect record thus far this season, if I'm not mistaken - cool! 8)
Card Game:  Rats! :-(  Shoulda made the ace $5,000.
1 Right Price:  Too bad! :-(
Grocery Game:  AWESOME! :-D  :-D  I think this is the first time someone's ever won Grocery Game with only one item with Drew Carey, but I'm not 100% sure.

Good show overall, IMHO. :-)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:44:20 PM by Cartboy »
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline TPIRSteven

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 10:48:56 PM »
Check Game:  Sheila had it won all along, both before and after she changed the price.  Also, for the first time in ages, I had it won, as well!

Temptation:  I was wondering if Drew was going to ever remember to reveal the first number.  It's a good thing Reena took the gifts, as her price was messed up badly.  I had it at $23,495 -- does anybody know for sure what the last number was?  I know I had the first four right, but the 5th number didn't make it on screen.

Coming or Going:  Both prices looked good, but luckily both Joe and I picked right.

Showcase Showdown 1:  I cracked up when Reena said, "I think I'm going to spin again!" the way she did.  Her facial expression when she hit 10 cents for the second time was also priceless!

Card Game:  I figured that Scott was way too high.  I would have made the ace $6,600, and I also would have been too high.

1 Right Price:  Tough setup today; I thought the TV would be closer to $3,000, so I also went with the sofa.  (Cue losing horns)

Grocery Game:  Beautiful!  This has to have been the best playing of this game that I have seen in a very long time!  I know it is considered risky to go for it all with one item, but this one was a dead giveaway if you knew that the salsa was $2.99.

Showcases:  Sheila gets a :gotc:, but manages to win, anyway!  She made quite a haul with a trip to Washington, DC and a Cadillac!

My Showcase Bids:
Room/Trip:  $20,000 (Painful  :wsd:)
Cadillac:  $39,225 (Diff: $12,103)  (Not quite as bad as Sheila, but still a GOTC.)

It was one of those days when I am glad I was busy and couldn't make it to CSS.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:50:36 PM by TPIRSteven »

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2008, 12:16:25 AM »
Check: Sheila becomes winner #1 under new rule. Excellent and much-deserving win!!! :-)

Temptation: Even I knew Reena's guess for the price just wasn't it. She chose wise to bail out. Has Drew been listening to too much 50 Cent or something?  :D

CoG: Good minds think alike!!  :-D

Card: When you're dealing with a Dodge Nitro, You just know that around $21K was the way to stop but Scott went a bit too far.

1RP: That sofa just couldn't have been $3K.

Grocery: AMAZING!!! I was simply amazed by Christine's good luck in this awesome playing!!! :-)

Showcases: The theme of the second showcase was just inappropriate. Despite that,the  Sheila took it all despite her :gotc:.

Drew was also a lot better in this show today. One of the best so far this season.

A 4.25-star show.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2008, 12:42:02 AM »
Great to see the first Check Game win with the new range. Also, I loved seeing Grocery Game won on the very first shot. This was the best playing in years, ranking up there with that contestant from many years ago who bought 35 candy bars (at 20¢ each) and hit $7 right on the nose! Speaking of which, has anybody ever managed to get exactly $20 or $21 worth of products in the Grocery Game?

Offline The Square

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2008, 02:02:50 AM »
I highly doubt that. Drew Carey has always been known as unselfish and a giving person.
Who also isn't shy about talking about how much money he has.

Before the second item up for bids, Drew said that he wished we were there to see the first game. I think most of the viewers were there to see the first game.

I wish we would have known why Reena winning after just the second item up for bids was such a big deal. It seems like there was an inside joke during the commercial that we missed, the way Drew was jumping around with her before the car was even revealed.

The way Drew phrased the question in Temptation, he implied that Reena had to change at least one of the numbers in her price. He never stated that she could leave the price alone. In this case, that was fine, since she had three of the numbers wrong, but he needs to be careful in the future.

I'm surprised that Reena took the gifts, as most of their value came from that overpriced blender. I'd speculate that there was something in there that she really liked, but it's obvious that she was only listening to her parents as to what decision to make.

I'll go easy on Drew for this, since the time constraints rarely allow this to happen, but it was interesting to see him kill time before the second Showcase Showdown after Grocery Game was won so quickly. He had time to chat with the first two contestants, but by the time he reached Jesse, he had to direct him to the wheel because he had already used up all of his filler time. Like I said, since it's a skill he rarely needs to use, I won't fault him for it, but it would have looked better if he had interviewed the contestants a little more equally.

Offline SamTheSham

• In the Audience
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2008, 03:25:13 AM »
I really am surprised no one mentioned this. 

During Card Game, when Drew went for the price tag and dropped it, I could have sworn he said "Sh*t!"

I had to rewind the tape to make sure I heard it correctly.

Am I totally insane, or did anyone else hear it?

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2008, 04:52:27 AM »
The way Drew phrased the question in Temptation, he implied that Reena had to change at least one of the numbers in her price. He never stated that she could leave the price alone. In this case, that was fine, since she had three of the numbers wrong, but he needs to be careful in the future.

About that, did anyone else think there could have been potential for a technical win here, had Reena went for the car? I say that because when she changed the last number to a zero, Drew never stopped to ask her if she was ok with the rest. He just went right on with the prize offering. Had she went for the car, he may have had to give it to her anyway, since he never offered her any more changes.