Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/07/2008  (Read 44983 times)

Offline AndyL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • Andy's MovieZone
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/07/2008
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 05:22:04 PM »
Well, I guess I have to join the camp of those who thought Showcase 2 was very funny.  I was eating my lunch during it, and almost choked on said lunch from laughing so hard.  I guess you could say I've always been a fan of the Showcases that tried to do something new and different, and Rich certainly was a good sport to go along with it.  My only recommendation would have been for Rich to say, "This Showcase will test my ability to describe the prizes in different ways."  But, people, that's the thing about comedy.  Some people, like me, respond to the comic ideas like we've seen last week and this, and some don't.  It doesn't mean this person's right and that person's wrong.  It's all a matter of taste:-).
"Oh la la la la, hey, banana
  Don't you step on its skin
  Oh la la la la, hey, banana
  Womble up de rubbish and put it in de bin!"

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 05:24:21 PM »
This episode would have been remarkably different if Bob had hosted it.  I saw in it the potential for it to be a really fantastic show if Bob was hosting, but Drew and everything associated with him made this undeniably the worst episode of The Price Is Right that I have ever seen in nineteen years of watching the show.

First, Drew's entrance:  he already pulled the "running in" gag before, and it wasn't even funny the first time.  How many more times is he going to try this ridiculous gag?  Next, he was way too excited with Hector, then too bummed out after two losses that he was being maniacal by Eazy az 1 2 3 with promising Mark he could play the piano at the end of the show (which in and of itself was neat, but the circumstances that brought it about were less than desirable).

If there was one light amongst this darkness today, it was seeing Lucky $even fifth.  I know Roger began breaking it out of the first half last season, but having missed most of last season, it was a real treat for me to see it in the second half.

Wow, HI LO had a tough setup.  I don't know if anybody would have picked the marinade before the Gold Bond.

Speaking of the Gold Bond, what was with the bizarre pan upwards Bart did on the Gold Bond?

I do not understand why Drew proclaims any spin on 50¢ or higher to be a "risky move."  Yes, numbers alone, the odds are stacked against you, but it is very unusual that anybody wins with such a low score.  Heck, I'd advise spinning on 65¢, but at the very least, Drew should not make it sound like there's a big risk of going with such low first spins.

It did not feel like watching The Price Is Right during the Showcases.  The first Showcase was undeniably the worst rhyming gag they ever tried to pull.  I would have easily settled for a "prizes revealed as we have fun with whatever word" Showcase before enduing something like that again.

Now, the second Showcase... I plead with people, look aside from the fact that Rich appeared on camera in the Showcase to see all the flaws that was with this Showcase, if you can even call it that.  For thirty-six years, Showcases were always done as narratives.  That was the first element lacking from this, so it didn't fit the Showcase format.  Unlike the other Rich appearance Showcase, this didn't even have any type of a loose narrative attached to it.  None whatsoever was present.  Second, because of this, they had to resort to on-screen graphics to explain what the heck was going on, but no reason was ever given to why it was going on.  Even a starter of, "This Showcase features me, Rich Fields, describing prizes in the most challenging ways."  A statement like that alone would have made a world of difference.  Third, the antics took away from what Showcases are really about:  prizes.  How many of you really had your attention focused on the prizes during the descriptions?  More than likely, your eyes were geared towards the window with Rich.  Antonia herself had to ask about the second prize again.  Fourth, the entire execution was just plain terrible.  Again, you have a great idea, but the way it was done was asinine.  Having Rich describe prizes under challenging conditions could be made into a great Showcase, but in one breath, on his head, and sucking helium of all things, were not ways to make it work.  All it made me say was, "This is too weird."  Lastly, underneath all that, there was... nothing.  Exactly that.  No cues or anything were played, adding increasingly more to the awkwardness of this entire debacle.  I had seen the clip and knew this atrocity was coming, but I did not expect it to be this soon.  If they've kooked up this garbage now, what else is waiting in the can?  I honestly may turn off the show if they ever do such a atrocious display ever again.  This is why we, at the very least, need Roger back with the show.

And on top of all of that, Rich signing off on helium also sounded atrocious.

I do not want people slamming me of being extremely negative on Drew or anybody else since I have said nearly nothing positive about this episode.  Guys, stop defending Drew and look what's happening to the show.  It's being cut from its thirty-six year old roots slowly, and it's been a very painful process to someone who has had this show near and dear to him his entire life.  This isn't a matter of whether or not you think change to the show is good or not.  This is a matter of the show not being what it has been for thirty-six years.  Today's second Showcase was hardly comparable to something of the Wolpert era.  There is a far cry between the creative Showcases of the '70s and what they're trying to do now, and I wish people would stop making it sound like the same thing because it simply is not.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Millionaire81

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 05:27:16 PM »
To all of you who hated the Rich showcase...I've just ordered a HoverRound for all of you. 

C'mon...quit being such fuddy-duddies.  Have fun and lighten-up.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 05:29:46 PM »
All I have to say is "amen, Nick." You hit the nail on the head. I'm watching "The Price is Right" but as i'm watching it doesn't feel like "The Price is Right".

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 05:36:56 PM »
C'mon...quit being such fuddy-duddies.  Have fun and lighten-up.

It's not about whether the showcase was funny or not.  I agree it was funny.  I laughed seeing Rich trying all those crazy things.

But Roger always said that the Price is Right is a delicate show and must be handled that way.  And when we cross over into the absurd, that's when the show begins to lose me.

Where was the structure?  Where was the introduction?  Where was the music?  What we were handed was a Showcase formatted out of pure laziness and a desire for Drew to try some slapstick.

Sure, it was funny.  Yes, we saw Rich on camera.  And yes, prizes were awarded.  

But this is not a SHOWCASE.  This is......comedy.  There's a whole network devoted to that, and only one hour for Price.  Give us back our showcases.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 05:47:51 PM »
I don't know what's happened between the end of last season and the beginning of this one...

Now, c'mon... think about it!

Offline whewfan

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 06:07:48 PM »
I've been a LFAT of TPIR since I was three... and I LOVED the Rich Fields showcase.
I think we need to look at this season with an open mind. Drew's input into the showcases, for me, adds an element that's been lacking in the last few years of the Barker era of TPIR... unpredictabilty.

I do agree that the first Rich Fields' showcase was awkward, but this is the first time that the host has had ANY involvement with the showcase skits.

I think TPIR's best moments are when unexpected things happen.

Besides, there were some great TPIR showcases from the Barker era that were pure slapstick and fun...

The April Fools ep. when Holly was dounced with a bucket of water when she was clearly expecting confetti.

There was another April Fools ep when virtually every prize was being destroyed and mocked.

And there were others too, of course.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2008, 06:13:06 PM »
Those are hardly comparable incidents.  A model being doused with a bucket of water unexpectedly is a is a single element of surprise and unexpectancy, but it doesn't carry great effect upon what the Showcase itself is.  Your second example also doesn't pass because you're dealing with something that was entirely a joke and not a real Showcase.  Today's second Showcase was intended to be funny, but it was not a joke.  It was a real Showcase.

Further, citing two April Fools Showcases aren't helping your case either, because you're dealing with instances that were particularly out of the ordinary.  Today's second Showcase, while out of the ordinary from what we've known for thirty-six years, was clearly not designed to be "not normal."  On the contrary, it is becoming quite acceptable.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 07:14:06 PM by Joe_Capitano »
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008, 06:24:04 PM »
Now, c'mon... think about it!
I'm well aware of the whole Roger thing. I meant what happened specifically with Drew's progress (the stuff that only Drew can control, like his mood and not mumbling, pulling at his pockets, constantly poking his tie down in his jacket, etc).  It just disappeared.

Offline jhgis

• Outside in Line
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2008, 06:24:24 PM »
I usually don't even respond to these boards. I read them everyday and I watch the same show as you do. We need to all give Drew, Rich, Fingers, etal a break. I know they are trying to give thier best to the show in the time constraints that CBS has given them. I also have one other annoucement. Bob Barker is retired and is never coming back. Rod Roddy and Johnny Olsen are not coming back either. Janice, Holly, Diane and Roger ane also not coming back. We need to have fun when we watch someone win a nice prize and play our favorite game. I know Drew and Fingers probably read this blog everyday and we need to give them a break. Daytime Television as a whole has changed. It is not all Drew's fault that the ratings have slipped. Why watch the show on CBS at 11AM when you can watch it on the internet on demand by 7PM. I have loved the show sincce day 1 and I still do. I don't agree with everything but it is not the end of the world. We need to be happy that Price is still with us and support it as much as we can.  Drew has done a stellar job in hosting and I hope CBS keeps him around. and I have approved this message.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 07:13:40 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2008, 06:25:34 PM »
Triple Play: Boy did Hector really blow it on the very first one.

Flip Flop: I would've flopped. Kylie unfortunately did the opposite.

Easy As 1-2-3: I would put in that order as well.

SCSD #1: I wanted Hector to win.

Double Prices: Knew that trip to Bangkok was $8243.

Lucky Seven: Antonia why did you had to take my advise and say 4?!  :evil: Lol.

Hi-Lo: I would pick the lotion, the Aspercreme gel, and the Ester-C.

Showcases: I know a lot of you guys would completely disagree with me on this but I thought that second showcase was quite hilarious. Seeing Rich not only on camera again but seeing him do those many tricks while still maintaining his top notch announcing skills. It was also quite funny that Rich did the sign off in helium there. It was also really entertaining seeing Mark play the piano. Boy did Kylie really garfed big time on her showcase. I would win too had I bid $15,000. Yet Antonia had a great bid there.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2008, 06:27:03 PM »
I know Drew and Fingers probably read this blog everyday and we need to give them a break.

If I worked on the show and I came here every day to read what people thought, I'd appreciate hearing their honest thoughts and opinions. That's what people here are giving.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2008, 06:32:41 PM »
Do you think that the production staff, Drew, Fingers, etc., read the Golden Road thread? Or do they dismiss it for whatever reason?

My sense is I think they appreciate our honest thoughts and opinions, but that's just me, as a longtime TPiR fan who has seen far worse, speaking.

Brian
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 07:12:57 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2008, 06:39:16 PM »
This wasn't the first time that TPIR has used "sillier" type showcase skits featuring any of the announcers of the show. If anything, I think they're bringing an element back from an older era.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2008, 06:43:57 PM »
Do you think that the production staff, Drew, Fingers, etc., read the Golden Road thread? Or do they dismiss it for whatever reason?

I think most definitely people associated directly with the show at least browse around here from time to time. We have many lurkers on this board, and I would be willing to bet that somewhere in that group of people are some who work with the show. I know we're like "superfans" compared to the average tv audience out there, but I'm sure they are at least interested to see what we think from time to time.