Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/09/2008  (Read 20689 times)

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/09/2008
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 06:10:51 PM »
Our CBS affiliate interviewed Stacie on today's noon news about her appearance. She, like many others before her, misidentified the final contest as "The Showcase Showdown" (referring to the fact that she didn't make it there).
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline uncleplinko

• 9/22/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • Travis Schario dot Net
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 06:16:40 PM »
You know what, I've been holding off for long enough.  It's time for me to jump on this bandwagon of sorts.

I have heard so many of you complaining that the Showcases make no sense.  OK, I will grant you that, but who's to say that they HAVE TO make sense?  Sure, Pirates on a Snowmobile isn't the most sensible (I was looking for a ski boat, honestly), but it's just prizes.  If you want something to make sense, watch CNN.

Also,
The show should not have a "party-like" atmosphere.  Sure, it should be a cheery, happy place, but not a party, because that conjures up images of disorganization and lack of control, which isn't what they should want with a game show yet it's becoming increasingly more evident on the show; and just before the Showcases?

Alright, I'm gonna throw some things out that aren't going to make me any more popular than I'm already not.  I'm sure some of you have been to a party or two in your lives.  Aren't some of the best parties you went to the most "organized"?  For instance:  Birthday parties, Christmas parties, office parties, Tailgate parties...I could go on.

To be short:  Is "The Price is Right" supposed to be a party-like atmosphere?

<Lewis Black>  YES!!  </Lewis Black>

Being in studio is fun and awesome, and what they are trying to do is send that party-like atmosphere thru the TV and into people's homes.  They want you, the viewer, to have just as much fun as the people in studio are.

I'm finished for now.
New, updated site for the OU Game Show Club:  http://www.ougsas.org/

My Lewis Black Moment:  If it hadn't had been for "The Price is Right," I would have never graduated college!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 08:05:07 PM »
The second showcase didn't really work today.  I'm not even sure what was happening there...it was like they were looking for an excuse to stick pirates into the show somehow, regardless of whether or not it made sense.

On the other hand, the first showcase actually worked very well.  There was a theme that was clearly stated at the outset, and it was followed up upon very well.  The only problem I had with it, not surprisingly, was the summary at the end -- the presentation should have ended with something like, "And this showcase, in which I just won $100 from Drew Carey, can be yours if the price is right!"  (And actually, now that I've read some people's comments, I think there might also have been a bit too much focus on Drew during it...I realize that half that point was a bet between him and Rich, but I honestly have no idea what the first prize was.)

Speaking of the Showcase...that music sting at the beginning of it was really awkward and totally unnecessary.  It needs to not happen again.

I still don't like the idea of somebody getting $500 for losing Barker's Marker$.  Then again, given what's been happening with 3 Strikes lately, who's to say we'll ever even see it again?  (I certainly hope we do, though -- and with the proper rules restored.)

Incidentally, I thought it was interesting how Drew actually mentioned the title "Barker's Marker$."

It is the thought of the current producers that it helps emphasize a "party-like" atmosphere.

Well, it failed.  The only good thing about it was that it cut off far enough before the actual start of the Showcase that you could kind of pretend it didn't happen.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 08:08:22 PM »
Don't worry, Drew... at least I got your joke about Stacie, and I thought it was funny. :lol:

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: It's up to Frank
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline ThereseW

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 08:14:52 PM »
I thought Drew was pretty good today.  He was up for most of the show and he looked like he was having a good time.

I guess I have to agree with some of the people here, the 2nd showcase was strange.  I didn't like it at all.

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 08:29:40 PM »
The show should not have a "party-like" atmosphere.

Wait, we're talking about The Price is Right, right?
Signatures are overrated.

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 08:38:58 PM »
The second showcase didn't really work today.  I'm not even sure what was happening there...

Me, neither. Kinda wasted Shane's appearance as one scurvy pirate. "R." Captain Jack Sparrow she's not, but can you imagine her coming to the door in that getup three weeks hence with a big ol' bowl of Snicker bars (or whatever she giveth out)? "R." Scare those little hobgoblins one good, matey.

But seriously, these last few days have proven the worth of good writing. You can't beat that.

I still don't like the idea of somebody getting $500 for losing Barker's Marker$.

Agreed, especially since I have to remember that for the recaps. I'm going to be shorting people all season if this keeps up. The only consolation prizes I want to see are the ones that go to the leftovers in the Row.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 09:41:58 PM »
I'm kinda' surprised no one's said anything about the "contestants not appearing on stage" plug today.  That was absolutely atrocious.  Instead of focusing on the three contestants who didn't make it up on stage, the main focus seemed to be the audience members doing stupid things for the camera.  Instead of a classy goodbye to the unfortunate three contestants, we got a classless pan of "look at me!  I'm on camera!  Watch me do this!"  I really hope that isn't going to continue.

The music at the beginning of the showcase didn't bother me nearly as much as the contestants' not appearing on stage plug, but I didn't like it, either.

The pirate showcase would have been a lot better had Rich only used his piratey voice for the funny in-between bits.  It felt wrong that he was using the piratey voice for the prize descriptions.  Those really need to be read more clearly than that.

On another note, I actually did like the tongue twister showcase today!  That was nice!  The end was a little awkward, but more the most part, it worked!  That seems to be the exception lately, but I'll take what I can get.

The Make Your Mark change... terrible.  Nothing more I can really add to that which wasn't already discussed, though.

Quote from: heelsrule1988
BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: It's up to Frank

Anna.  I'm surprised you had trouble today, heely.  Seemed pretty easy today.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 10:02:37 PM »
Switch?:  Good job! :-)
Gas Money:  Man, I thought Tarin had it! 8-O
5-digit Squeeze Play:  Too bad! :-(
SCSD#1:  Again, nothing on the bonus spin!  Are we ever going to see a $25,000 winner on the Big Wheel!?  >:(
Make Your Mark:  I figured Austin should've moved the marker and that the pool table was not $1,589.
Now... Or Then:  Good job, although I can't believe she said "then" for the Steam Fresh Corn. ???  Steam Fresh Corn, or any of the Steam Fresh varieties for that matter, weren't even around back then!!  I see they're finally using a different year for then, but why was the sign up so high?  I always thought it was attached to the board.
Money Game:  No car won on this game either.  Boo Hiss! :-(
Showcases:  Rich sure did a great job reading those tongue twisters (nice to see Rich on camera again, too!)! :-)  I thought the pirate showcase was pretty funny myself.

For this episode, I'll say it was okay again.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 10:06:16 PM by Cartboy »
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline The Square

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 10:19:23 PM »
I found the wrong prices in Gas Money so obviously created to make the game a decision just between two prices.

The first two times it was played, there was only one reasonable price on the board, though it makes sense for the first playing, since it always looks good for the first playing to be a win. I don't see too many contestants stopping after their second pick regardless, since the lure of a 2/3 chance of more money is too tempting. If the last three remaining prices are all reasonable and the contestant picks the pink slip on their third turn, then you get that "loss on the second prize in Golden Road" vibe, so I can understand why they'd want it to go to an all-or-nothing decision.

Why didn't they zoom in on Tarin's picks in Gas Money? It was less dramatic to just show the whole board. And also, I wanted to see the truck picture a little more closely.

I know the Make Your Mark change has been beaten to death already. But in this case, if I was in that position, I would have spent the money. I'd lose the guaranteed $500, but those were three prizes I wouldn't mind having, and I sure wouldn't be able to get any of them for only $500. But the greed of the guaranteed money sets in, and it just encourages people to lose the game, so I guess that's more desirable to the show now.

Now or Then just makes me feel old. 1999 doesn't seem like it was that long ago until I think about it.

It's a good thing Donna didn't get 65 cents on her second spin, or Drew would have been celebrating her score of $1.10.

I'm indifferent to the shot of the audience before the showcases. It doesn't add to the show at all, but it doesn't take anything away, other than the five seconds it takes to shoot the audience.

The first showcase was a good example of how to include Rich in a showcase. It had a coherent theme that they stuck to all the way through the end and it got him on camera. If they can keep that up, then I'd be happy.

But then... that was a bold move, doing a pirate showcase where none of the prizes had a single thing to do with pirates at all. It didn't make a single bit of sense. Rich's voice was amusing enough, but I'll bet the reaction of most of the viewers was "What? Pirates and... a snowmobile? Huh?" They couldn't have at least offered a boat???

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2008, 11:09:16 PM »
Anna.  I'm surprised you had trouble today, heely.  Seemed pretty easy today.
Well, she wasn't the only good contestant in my opinion, so I couldn't decide on just one.

Offline TPIRSteven

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2008, 11:23:44 PM »
Switch:  I thought this was an easy setup, perhaps the easiest of the day.

Gas Money:  I knew that Tarin was in trouble as soon as she picked $17,379 for the F150.  I thought it was $21,825, but I was also wrong.   :-(

Squeeze Play:  This game is tough when played for a five-digit prize.  That 1 was screaming, "Pick me!" and fooled both Anna and myself.

Make Your Mark:  I don't really care either way about the $500 rule.  I thought Austin was right in leaving the marker alone despite it being against the odds, as there was no way in my mind that the pool table was $3,399.

Money Game:  Sigh.  I was hoping for a SP-Car game, like Pathfinder, which is long overdue this season.  Instead, we get treated to another typical playing of Money Game, and it was lost to boot.

Now or Then:  Apparently, Catherine doesn't know the 4-2 rule.  It didn't matter, though, as she still came up with a nice win.

Showcases:  I must admit that the first showcase is easily the best of the three that we've seen so far featuring Rich Fields (in my opinion).  It had appropriate music and a "$100 bet" theme that was absent from Tuesday's showcase.  Rich did a good job, too, other than the fact that he was talking so fast that I didn't understand everything he said.  The absolute worst part of this showcase for me was the fact that I overbid on it in CSS, costing myself a DSW on the snowmobile. :evil:

The pirate showcase was another good idea that just didn't work quite as well in execution.  Rich's pirate voice really distracted me from the prize descriptions -- By the end of it, I had nearly forgotten what the first prize was until Rich mentioned it in the recap.  (It couldn't have been too bad, though, as I did ultimately DSW it.)

Speaking of which, am I the only one here that doesn't mind hearing the prize recaps?  I know people complain that they are redundant, which they are, but do they really take anything away from the show?  I think the worst thing they do is use up five seconds of air time.

Offline rcbought

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 11:27:59 PM »
You know, I have to disagree about Drew and Money Game.  I think it would be darn near impossible to create excitement with a person who looks like a deer in headlights on the stage like Donna was today.

Maybe in Make your Mark instead of giving out the 500 at the start they could maybe give it out after the game.  Like for example if you think that 1300 is the right price and it is. you will win all 3 prizes and 500 dollars cash.  However if you think that 3300 is the right price I will let you move it and if you are right you will win all 3 prizes.  I don't know just a thought.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2008, 12:26:02 AM »
An okay show today.  I don't care for Make Your Mark's new rules, but they're not quite so bad.  Nice to see Gas Money again, but it was kinda sad to see it lost like that.

Today's first Showcase with Rich betting Drew $100 that he could read the tongue-twisters was very well done, in my opinion. It was very nice to see and entertaining. The pirate Showcase...not so much. I was expecting a boat, not a snowmobile...  As for the music before the Showcases...it seemed very weird and out of place. Maybe if there were a different cue, but the MDS ones seem to fit with the MDS better, in my opinion.

OVERALL: 3/5.

"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2008, 04:27:04 AM »
Good show today.  Still some hot and cold moments from Drew, but for the most part, he was entertaining.

Did Austin give two different explanations for the Band-Aid on his head?  Drew's comments were kind of funny, but for some reason, Austin struck me as a bit on the annoying side.

I don't like Move Your Mark's rule of keeping the $500 unless you move the mark.  Why was this rule implemented?  It would have nothing to do with time.  This seems to be change just for the sake of change.

I liked the Tongue Twisters joke and Rich's $100 bet with Drew.  The Pirate Showcase was a bit overdone.  Rich should have used normal voice inflection for the prize descriptions.

Big fan of Gas Money! Although it was lost today.  That last choice is really suspenseful and nerve-wracking!  Drew did well with this game today.  Money Game was mediocre.

Joe