Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/09/2008  (Read 20680 times)

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/09/2008
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2008, 05:49:35 AM »
This is what was discussed about music intros being used into the Showcases.  It is the thought of the current producers that it helps emphasize a "party-like" atmosphere.  This will continue.

I thought you said in the other thread that the music wasn't anything that was used on the show before? Was I mistaken?

Offline dm

• Walking the Golden Road
    • My website
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2008, 06:40:01 AM »
Me, neither. Kinda wasted Shane's appearance as one scurvy pirate. "R." Captain Jack Sparrow she's not, but can you imagine her coming to the door in that getup three weeks hence with a big ol' bowl of Snicker bars (or whatever she giveth out)? "R." Scare those little hobgoblins one good, matey. ...
Those showcases were much better when it was "Pirates and their treasure" which was a regular recurring showcase. Part of me is happy to see Rich and Drew doing bits now in the showcases but don't you think it distracts the contestants a little? It's so easy to think, "What would Roger have done" or "Would Roger ever have allowed this"? Clearly, the new regime is in power.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 01:28:05 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline anynumber76

• In the Audience
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2008, 01:08:29 PM »
I have to agree with some of you that I actually liked the tongue-twister showcase.  Rich is a great announcer and this goes to show how talented he really is.  I agree that the showcase could have used a closing that was more appropriate to the tongue-twister theme, but all in all, it was pretty good.

I'm kinda' surprised no one's said anything about the "contestants not appearing on stage" plug today.  That was absolutely atrocious.

I agree totally, Frank.  I thought the same thing you did.  This just opens the door for other people in the front row to do the same thing.  Maybe a tighter shot on the contestants would alleviate the belief of the people in row 1 that they can be seen on camera during the plug.

Also, if I'm ever a contestant on TPIR, I want to play Make Your Mark.  Even if I lose, I'm guaranteed a $500 payout.  I still don't understand this rule change and how it makes the game any better.  Personally, I don't like this game anyway, but the guaranteed $500 for a loser makes it worse.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 01:20:30 PM by anynumber76 »

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2008, 01:49:40 AM »
Well, after 3 playings of Gas Money, we've now seen all possible scenarios: a win, a bailout, and now a loss.  Toss-up between $19K and $21K for me.

After seeing one playing of the new rule change in Make Your Mark, I don't like it at all.  I honestly don't see that many contestants switching the marker, since they know they'll have a guaranteed prize if they don't.  It looked quite obvious that the pool table marker should have been moved, but it looked like Austin would rather have kept the $500 than win three prizes.  It rewards you even if you do something wrong, which is not the theme of the show (The Price is Right).

I'm guessing the other Then product, if there was one up on the board, was the V8, since it's normally $3.15.  I found it kind of odd because, in the past few years, the "then" products are ones they don't normally use everyday on the show.  This could make the game a bit harder.  Also, it's gonna be odd when 2000 is used as the "Then."  Even though 2000 was 8 years ago, it doesn't seem like a "then" date as 1999 does.

I really liked the tongue-twister showcase.  Couldn't have been done any better, in my opinion.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Online whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2008, 11:29:59 AM »
Game #19 (#6,940)

Now or Then
The "then" date?  That was the month I became an uncle.  The day?  December 1, 1999 (my niece's birth episode is #1283K, even though #1284K aired that day).  I was also in high school during the "then" date.

Showcase #1
Washer & Dryer - $3,398
Spa - $5,175
Trailer - $25,382

Showcase #2
Karaoke Machine - $1,000
One of my very own deluxe espresso machines - $7,290
Snowmobile - $7,999

Total show prize value:  $144,760 (22 prizes)

Your Modeling Scorecard for October 16, 2008
Daily Records
High:  $90,823 (Rachel Reynolds, 2007)
Low:  $14,581 (Brandi Sherwood, 2003)

Rachel Reynolds
October 16
Total:  $56,964
($11,655 won, $45,309 lost)
Total prizes:  8 (3-5)
Cars, Trips: 1, 1

After 11 shows
Total dollars:  $789,747
($377,239 won, $412,508 lost)
Total prizes:  104 (63-41)
Cars, Trips: 13, 11 (5-8, 7-4)

Lanisha Cole
October 16
Total dollars:  $41,468
($38,069 won, $3,399 lost)
Total prizes:  6 (5-1)
Cars, Trips: 0, 0

After 3 shows
Total dollars:  $120,358
($67,207 won, $53,151 lost)
Total prizes:  23 (18-5)
Cars, Trips: 1, 2 (0-1, 0-2)

Shane Stirling
October 16
Total dollars:  $43,327
($4,914 won, $38,413 lost)
Total prizes:  7 (3-4)
Cars, Trips: 1, 0

After 1 show
Total dollars:  $43,327
($4,914 won, $38,413 lost)
Total prizes:  7 (3-4)
Cars, Trips: 1, 0 (0-1, 0-0)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 11:36:01 AM by whinbaby »

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2008, 12:57:59 PM »
Such a shame that Gas Money was lost, but that is what I love the most about the game.  The risk of thousands of dollars to try and win a car and $10,000 in cash.

Now, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but in the previous playings of Gas Money, was the pink slip detailed as the one in this show?  Today, it said the word TRUCK on a background that said "Certificate of Title" and a rendering of a truck, when on the first playing it looked like it was just the word CAR on a plain pink background.

I laughed at how Anna was mauling Drew when she came up on stage, and how Drew threw to Rich in a dog's voice.

I liked how Drew acknowledged Make Your Mark was once called Barker's Marker$ until last year.

About the rule change in Make Your Mark, I don't think it was necessary, but I can live with the $500 consolation.  Also, is this the first time in the Drew Carey era where someone got a perfect bid and played Make Your Mark soon after, resulting them having to put the $500 wad to double duty?

I will agree with that it will feel strange that pretty soon, we will see Now or Then dates in the 2000's.  But I guess it shows how the times are constantly changing.

I liked that tongue twister showcase, although I think it could have done better without the $100 bet between him and Drew.  Also, I do agree that Rich should describe prizes in a normal voice, in regards to the pirate showcase.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2008, 12:00:32 AM »
Switch?: Good move.

Gas Money: $19,120 just had to be it. But Tarin didn't go that way.  :-(

Squeeze: I had a hunch that 4 would be it.

Mark: Like many others said, Just letting a contestant keep $500 even when they lose is just a bad idea.

Money: 65 would've been one of my choices. Too bad.

NowThen: Very nice.

Showcases: The 1st showcase did seem pretty fine with me. The 2nd was kind of convoluted, but OK.

A 3-star show.

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2008, 03:03:23 AM »
Just watched this episode (I'm a few days behind).  Comments....

Drew had great build-ups in Gas Money on this show--too bad we didn't see more of the same in Money Game.  Hey...don't these two games conflict (or do they care about that anymore)?

I know it has been discussed at length already, but the rule change with the $500 in Barker's Markers Make Your Mark just doesn't feel right.

I can understand them wanting to have a "party-like" atmosphere feeling on the show, but I think using a shot of the audience and a bumper music cue only when coming into the showcase round just seems really odd and out of place.  Either they should use it for all commercial bumpers (not something I'd advocate for) or none of them.  (Although, this could be a good place to do a full audience sweep with the jib cam...)  If TPTB wish this to remain, however, Stan should find a "party" cue other than the MDS cue used today (the MDS cue works so much better in nighttime, where more of it is used in the opening). 

The tongue twister showcase was definitely much better executed than the other showcases we've seen featuring Rich on camera.  He did extremely well in reading those also.  I agree that the ending line should have been Rich stating he won the $100 from Drew.  I also think Drew should have been shown on camera a little less, as the focus was drawn away from the contestants.  One thing not mentioned: the music cue used during this showcase was unfamiliar to me, and I like it for a semi-goofy

The pirate showcase was just awkward.  It really just seemed as if they were forcing pirates into the showcase theme.  And Rich really should've read the prize plugs in a normal voice...although without a good theme to the showcase, this didn't really matter that much.
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).