Author Topic: November 10, 2008 taping, I need information, clarification, and your help.  (Read 5482 times)

Offline swdke1161

• Outside in Line
First, this form is great, good questions and helpful people replying.  I am glad I discovered this site, and hoping I too can get help and information.

I will be in LA on November 10, and interested in attending a taping of TPIR.  I found a website which seems to be the official TPIR website where I can request tickets on line.  Seemed simple enough, but as I researched on the internet, I read that people get to the studio as early as 5 am, if not earlier for a 1 pm taping.  As for me, I am not sure I am able to do that.  Most of what I read seemed to be old information, dated more than a year or two ago.  So I wonder, is it still necessary to get there that early?

Then, I noticed other ticket sites such as Hollywood Tickets and TVTix, which from what I read, seem to be group tickets, and allows you to attend a taping, without having to get there at 5 am.  Are these sites or tickets really legitimate?

Anyhow, I went ahead and printed online tickets for the 10th of November.  The ticket time states 10:00 am, I assume this is for the 1 pm taping.  However, the ticket does state "Arrival Time 10:00 AM", but printed below on the ticket, under "Special "Instructions," it states "9 am arrival tapes at 1 pm; 12 pm arrival tapes at 4 pm."  My question here is, what's with the 9 am arrival, my ticket clearly states "10:00 am".

Also, the website states no need to arrive ealier, early arrival seems to be discouraged, but also indicates don't be late.  So, with my ticket stating 10:00 am as arrival time, can I really arrive just before 10 am and still get in, or do I really need to get there ealier?  I guess what I am asking is, what time do I really need to be there?

So, if the taping is at 1 pm, what time do I get out?  I am one of those people who when on vacation, likes to cram in as much as possible.  With that, I am hoping to get tickets to either the Tonight Show, or the Jimmy Kimmel show.  I don't know if I'll get tickets to these two other shows, but if I could do the TPIR and one of these late night shows, I'd like to do so.  However, the Tonight Show seems to have a 3 pm arrival time.  So, I was wondering, if I am able to get Tongiht Show tickets, will I be out of TPIR in time to make it to the Tonight Show?  I understand that sometimes those attending the 1 pm TPIR may get lucky to stay for the 4 pm taping.  I am all for that if I don't get tickets for the Tonight Show or Jimmy Kimmel show.  Anyhow, if I get lucky to attend the 1 pm taping, what time can I expect to be out of the studio?

Oh, one more question.  With Hollywood Tickets, if these are considered group tickets, is there a special line for such group tickets?  Or is there a sign or something designating where group ticket holders are to go?

I know I asked a lot of questions, I look forward to our answers and help, and appreciate taking your time to help.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 09:43:12 AM by swdke1161 »

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
First question...did you get your tickets from cbs.com or through Hollywood/TVTix?  If the latter (which it looks like it is), I might not be of as much assistance because I've never gone that route.

Rest assured...both sites are completely legitimate.  Basically, what Hollywood/TVTix does is hands out special group tickets that mean you don't have to show up at 5am or whatever and you're guaranteed a seat.  The trade-off is that seats in the studio are determined by order of arrival...the people that get there first get seated in the best seats up front, and groups are usually seater further back/to the sides. 

That said...lines are well down.  The only time you ever needed to show up that early was in the last months of Bob Barker's run...once he announced his retirement, everyone wanted to see him.  Under Carey, the lines aren't nearly as long. 

The only thing showing up that early gets you is a better seat to see the show.  (Well, that and the comraderie of spending time with other people doing the same thing as you, which is honestly my favorite part of going.)  If you show up at 5am, you'd probably be somewhere around #30 or 40 in line, which would land you in the third/fourth row, roughly.  You'd probably be able to show up at 9-10am with a CBS ticket and get in just fine...but the Hollywood/TVTix ticket guarantees that, so from what you've described, you should have no problems.

Can't answer you on the 9:00/10:00 thing, since I have no idea about that myself.  Sorry.  Judging by the fact that you need to show up 4 hours early for the 4pm, I'd use the same guideline for the 1pm and get there at 9:00 anyway.  (Processing everyone in the audience as potential contestants takes time.) 

If all goes well...a 1pm taping should end slightly after 2pm.  They don't kid when they say they're the fastest-moving show on television.  It only takes them about as long as a commercial break to roll off the props from one act and roll the next act's prizes/props into place.  However...take that with a grain of salt.  Delays can and often do show up, and with changes instituted this season (namely, the guy who's been producing/running the show since 1984 and working on it since Day One in 1972 has been fired), they might not be running quite as strict a ship as they used to be.

If the reports that I'm hearing about seat-fillers are accurate, and nothing changes between now and then, you should be able to get into the 4pm taping after seeing the 1pm taping if that interests you.  They never asked to see another ticket from me last time I went, but I'd consider printing a 4pm ticket from CBS and keeping that in your pocket just in case.  Just keep this in mind if you choose to:  If, after the taping, you hear 'a special announcement' from Rich:   DON'T stand around to hear it.  Head for the door as quickly as possible while everyone else's head is turned, so you're ready if he announces there's more room for the 4pm.

One last thing...if you can't get in to see the Tonight Show or Jimmy Kimmel, I would like to point out that Craig Ferguson tapes the Late Late Show in the same building as The Price is Right.  That might work out a little bit better for your schedule than trying to run all over LA.  (I honestly have no idea where anything else is in LA or what kind of traffic you'd run into.)
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
One last thing...if you can't get in to see the Tonight Show or Jimmy Kimmel, I would like to point out that Craig Ferguson tapes the Late Late Show in the same building as The Price is Right.  That might work out a little bit better for your schedule than trying to run all over LA.  (I honestly have no idea where anything else is in LA or what kind of traffic you'd run into.)

I'll second the idea of seeing Craig Ferguson.  I saw him last time out, and they use the same lines and bench area as price, and he tapes one floor up.  I had a great time.  I think I got there at 3pm for a 4pm taping, was out in an hour, and zipped over to Dodger Stadium afterwards.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline Levius

• In the Audience
  • Look out! Oh, its just a duck!
I just walked out of a taping slightly less than 2 hours ago, so let me chime in with some updated information.  A friend and I attended the 1pm taping on 10/8/08 and we go in line at 4:30am and received order of arrivals numbers 0017 and 0018.  We went back for processing at 9:50am and recieved priority numbers 017 and 018, which is what I expected.  We attended the taping, and at the end, Rich announced there were 80 more available seats for the 4pm taping.  Walked back outside, met the page at the corner of the building where Stan was conducting interviews for the 4pm taping, and received priority numbers 291 and 292.  Re-interviewed with Stan our group was last) and seriously jogged through security and right into the studio.

Then today, 10/12/08, my friend and I decided we wanted front row (as if 2nd row center isn't good enough!) and went out to get in line at 2:30am.  Guess what....priority numbers 029 and 030 (which due to 6 reserved spots in 2nd row center, landed us in 3rd row center.

We got our tickets at CBS.com, and actually both of us found the experience of being up early and in line half of the fun.  If you decided to come early, I'd suggest bringing a chair and definitely dress warmly.

Offline swdke1161

• Outside in Line
First question...did you get your tickets from cbs.com or through Hollywood/TVTix? 

Actually, I booked twice, once what appears to be the official CBS site where I can request tickets online, then I later discovered Hollywood tickets, and booked there too.  The Hollywood Tickets seem tempting to keep as it appears they are guaranteed, and I don't have to be there till 10 pm, although I realize my seats will not be in the best area.  I know I need to cancel one or the other, which do I keep?  Or, should I keep both, show up at 9 am to use the CBS ticket to hopefully get a better seat, and if the line is long, and I worry about being there too late for the CBS tickets, then use the Hollywood Tickets as a back up at 10 am since they are guaranteed?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I'd like to reivew or clarify.  It seems that arriving early, like at 5 am, is not really necessary anymore, unless you want a seat up front.  I am curious about the "Up front seating."  On TV, the seating area looks huge.  Yet, I read that the whole area is actually very small.  So, if I were to be in a poor seat, compared to "front row" such as a side seat or back row, is it really that bad?

To clarify again, with the tickets from the CBS website, you have to get there early, but not if you have tickets from Hollywood Tickets?  Yes/No?

Maybe if I summed up my criteria, it might help to advise me on what I need to do.  First, I'd love to see TPIR, and for my schedule, the 1 pm taping is best.  However, I don't want to be there at 5 am, I'd rather get there at 10 pm.  The date I want to go is Monday, November 10.  I am not concerned with sitting up front, (well it would be nice) I am just looking to be fortunate enough to simply get in and see the taping.  I'd be thrilled just to get in.  Last, I would like to see the Tonight Show, which needs me to be there at 3 pm, if I can get tickets, which I am still waiting to see if I do get tickets.  However, I do have tickets to the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, which I understand fortunately also tapes at CBS which woujld be very convenient.  This show's admission is at 3:30 pm.  Still, if I can get tickets to the Tonight Show, that would be my preference, therefore, I would need to be out of the studio of TPIR from the 1 pm taping as soon as possible.  So with that, should I keep my CBS tickets, or go with the Hollywood Tickets, and if I get there, say around 9:30 am, will I get in, and last, will I be out by 2 pm?

I sincerely appreciate your time and help, thank you.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 01:18:19 PM by swdke1161 »

Offline swdke1161

• Outside in Line
Also, is there a seperate line for those with CBS tickets vs. Group tickets from Hollywood Tickets or TVTix?

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
Correct me if I am wrong, but I'd like to reivew or clarify.  It seems that arriving early, like at 5 am, is not really necessary anymore, unless you want a seat up front.  I am curious about the "Up front seating."  On TV, the seating area looks huge.  Yet, I read that the whole area is actually very small.  So, if I were to be in a poor seat, compared to "front row" such as a side seat or back row, is it really that bad?

The entire middle section (which holds between 1/2 and 2/3ds the total audience) is great.  The problem with the side sections is that you can't quite see everything from them...if you're on the side nearest the turntable, you might have a hard time seeing the action that takes place on the turntable (I think; I've yet to actually be put in that section) and if you're on the other side, you can't see much of anything behind Door #3.  However, outside of prizes (which you can see on the monitor), nothing important actually happens behind that door, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

So, to make my answer as short as possible...no, it's not particularly bad at all.

To clarify again, with the tickets from the CBS website, you have to get there early, but not if you have tickets from Hollywood Tickets?  Yes/No?

Correct.

So with that, should I keep my CBS tickets, or go with the Hollywood Tickets, and if I get there, say around 9:30 am, will I get in, and last, will I be out by 2 pm?

I would not count on getting out exactly at the crack of 2, but if all goes well, 2:10-2:20 seems about right.  (Then again, I've never exactly checked my watch after a taping...too excited after seeing the show to care, you know?)  Of course, any delays that might come up would push that back even further, but there's a good chance everything will run smoothly.

It would take something going really wrong to miss out on the 3:30 deadline for Ferguson.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
I hate to burst your bubble, but the 3PM arrival for Leno is similar to Price.  They tell you that's the arrival time, when in fact many people begin forming a line much earlier.

Additionally, Price tapings have been running quite late recently.  I understand there was even a rehearsal that took upwards of two hours.

You have little to no chance of leaving a Price taping to make The Tonight Show all the way up in Burbank on the same day.

I do hope you enjoy your trip and please come back to report it to us!  :)
John

Offline swdke1161

• Outside in Line
I hate to burst your bubble, but the 3PM arrival for Leno is similar to Price.  They tell you that's the arrival time, when in fact many people begin forming a line much earlier.

Thanks for the info, I had been wondering about that.  Any idea how early people do arrive for the Tonight Show?  Same queston for the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson which tapes at CBS.  Thanks, I appreciate the heads up.

Offline strongbad

• Taking a Bonus Spin

Additionally, Price tapings have been running quite late recently.  I understand there was even a rehearsal that took upwards of two hours.

You have little to no chance of leaving a Price taping to make The Tonight Show all the way up in Burbank on the same day.

I do hope you enjoy your trip and please come back to report it to us!  :)

My experience was a little different.  I thought it was MUCH easier to get into Leno than it was TPIR.  There certainly wasn't hours of waiting just to get in.  We went over to the NBC Studios Box Office to get Leno tickets, arrived about 7am and they started distributing them around 8am.  They then told us to come back to the studios around the 3pm time frame, and had to wait about an hour before getting into the studio. 

But to answer one of the poster's original questions, going to TPIR and then Leno on the same day is extremelly unlikely given the timing schedules and locations of each. 

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
Here's what you need to know about Hollywood/TVTix and this is gospel as I havce seen these tickets "in action" many times since they started using them for D.C. tapings.

In a sense, they are like groups tickets in that you do not have to be there at the crack of dawn to use them.  CBS Guest Relations allows for the guarantee of so many of each of those tickets to get into the studio each day.  Example:  Regardless of how many CBS ticket holders there are in line at 6:00 A.M., when they start issuing actual Priority Numbers on the tickets at 8:00 A.M., they will see that type of ticket and turn to a page oin their clipboard for that ticket and give it its own Priority number based upon how many of those tickets they held out of the normal line.

Now here's the kicker:  Regardless of where/when you got in line that morning, all CBS priority numbered ticket holders are sat before those tickets. 

So in a sense, they are like group tickets, but only up to a certain point.  So if you are going to the show with those tickets make sure you arrive early enough to get ahead of anyone else who might show up with those tickets.

And lemme second what John said and add this:  Even if you had enough time to get up to Burbank, you would probably be too tired to do anything else but a second show at 7800 anyway.