Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/10/2008  (Read 34369 times)

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/10/2008
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2008, 09:02:09 PM »
I have to be honest, I respect everyone's opinions, but some of you have overreacted for far too long. I for one thought today's show was really good. Even today's showcase was really good. I don't know why some of you were ridiculing Rich for using a phony accent. It was nice for a change to hear him be goofy in a showcase. Johnny Olson did showcases like that now and then. Drew was on his A game for the majority of the show. I too thought saw a few moments when someone needed a good smack in the back of the head cough**Isabella**cough.  BTW, if she thought that car was $70,000+, then my dad and I have a couple of used cars we would like to offer her. ;) She was cute, but not the sharpest knife in the drawer. As far as More or Less went, his guess was as good as mine. I said "Less" on the mower, but it looked really expensive. Even the other three would've been a shot in the dark for me. And you know it is nice to see one rarely played game get played, but seeing two today was twice as nice. Probably the only other weird thng about today, besides Isabella's bidding skills, was the intro cues coming into the sixth segment, showcase, and showcase reveals. They weren't bad however!
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2008, 09:29:55 PM »
I don't know why some of you were ridiculing Rich for using a phony accent. It was nice for a change to hear him be goofy in a showcase. Johnny Olson did showcases like that now and then.

Yes, but the prize copy should be read with a standard voice.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2008, 09:52:06 PM »
Drew needs to never, ever, ever say things in order to compensate for what he perceives as a lack of excitement on the show; that, more than anything else he does, causes the show to seem like it isn't exciting.  He does this fairly frequently, but it seemed especially prolific today when coming out of breaks for some reason.

Speaking of coming out of breaks...why was Drew in the audience at the start of Act 5?  It wasn't necessarily bad (although the music preceding it was), but it didn't make a lot of sense.

Oddly enough, though, the audience shot at the start of the second part of the Showcase seemed pretty harmless...maybe because there wasn't any music with it.

Check-Out was won!  Yay!  Not only that, but assuming it wasn't played on any of the purple wheel episodes, it's now been won three times in a row!

I'm not sure what to make of the second showcase.  It was funny, but something still seemed really off about it.

The IUFB intros have really got to stop.  Half of them today were completely retarded.  In all seriousness, they should just have Rich dub over all the ones they haven't aired yet with, "It's a new (whatever the prize is)."

Oh...and Drew really needs to stop acting so ridiculous during his entrances.  This is at least the fourth time in the first 20 shows that he hasn't been behind the doors when they opened.  It was kinda funny the first time, but it's completely worn out its welcome now.

Same here. But this was a very entertaining show. Say what you want, but I like this new spin. It makes it fun to have us expect the unexpected.

I only like the unexpected when it doesn't end up sucking.  Bob and Roger knew how to pull this off masterfully.  Syd, Mike, and Drew do not.

I've been pretty quiet about how I feel about the new version of TPIR, but I'm pretty fed up with people Drew bashing.  There is one simple solution if you don't like Drew and the direction Dismantle has taken the show.....DONT WATCH.

You know what I'm sick of?  People telling me I should stop watching my favorite show and that I should stop complaining about the ridiculous changes that are occurring on it.  Frankly, without Roger, we're the only people who have any hope of positively influencing things there, and I'll be damned if I'm going to just give up on that.

Yes, but the prize copy should be read with a standard voice.

I'm not sure how I feel about this...I mean, I've heard Johnny read an entire showcase as a Swedish chef.  There was something wrong with showcase #2 today, but I don't think this was it.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2008, 09:57:59 PM »
You know what I'm sick of?  People telling me I should stop watching my favorite show and that I should stop complaining about the ridiculous changes that are occurring on it.  Frankly, without Roger, we're the only people who have any hope of positively influencing things there, and I'll be damned if I'm going to just give up on that.

I can understand this, however, just because you and some others see it a certain way doesn't mean everyone will. Some are gonna like the changes, and some aren't, that's just how it is, like it or not.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2008, 10:01:07 PM »
And that's their right.  I'm not disputing that.  But it's also our right to continue watching the show and criticizing what's wrong with it instead of just throwing in the towel, and I'm starting to get tired of people trying to tell us otherwise.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 02:37:47 AM by Joe_Capitano »
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2008, 10:11:43 PM »
To me what was wrong with the second showcase was that like with the pirate showcase the other day, it seemed like they were just trying to force a showcase about a prospector onto the show and didn't really care if it made sense.  It was a decent showcase and sort of funny, but it also didn't work that well and felt like another random showcase just for the sake of having costumes and voices.  And I agree that he should do the copies in a standard voice.  The copies are just to describe the prize, they're not part of the story in the showcase itself.

I also didn't like that part in the first showcase with Rich making a big deal about coolers being the third prize.  Who would think coolers would be the last prize?  It shouldn't have been brought into attention like it was.

Drew's throw to Rich for another contestant in the audience was kind of cool just for the novelty of it, but it was not that necessary and IMO seemed too informal.  

The bumpers they've been using recently would be nice for MDSs but they don't fit in daytime.

Did anyone else think Isabella thought she said $1,000 for the cocktail ring?  It seemed like she was mad at Drew for taking $10,000 as her bid and then she looked mad again when the winner was announced because she would've won with $1,000.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2008, 10:23:57 PM »
I kind of wondered if she meant that too. It didn't look like she was trying to be like some contestants just wanting to get in a ha-ha from the audience. Although Drew technically did give her a chance to correct herself when he said "$10,000?". But she never did speak up either time to get her bid changed. She even said it herself that she blew it before Drew revealed her showcase ARP.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 02:38:57 AM by Joe_Capitano »
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2008, 10:35:10 PM »
You know what I'm sick of?  People telling me I should stop watching my favorite show and that I should stop complaining about the ridiculous changes that are occurring on it.  Frankly, without Roger, we're the only people who have any hope of positively influencing things there, and I'll be damned if I'm going to just give up on that.

I wholeheartedly concur with Steve and feel the same way myself.

I'm not sure how I feel about this...I mean, I've heard Johnny read an entire showcase as a Swedish chef.  There was something wrong with showcase #2 today, but I don't think this was it.

I'd have to hear it in order to properly judge it, but the thing with Rich, I have to honestly say, is that words of his tied with an accent can become quite difficult to understand.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2008, 10:49:30 PM »
I've love to know just how much pull you think a fringe group of fanatical fans has on the production values of the show.  Clearly, those in charge have decided to do whatever they want to do without any concern for the traditionalists in the fan base, in hopes of improving ratings, and dismissed the one real force behind keeping things status quo. 

Offline MannyCav

• Walking the Golden Road
  • My forum signature vanished. PM if you have info.
    • Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions>—This is my Play-Asia affiliate link for video game shopping.
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2008, 10:53:32 PM »
They (more properly stated we, golden-road.net) have friends in some pretty high places, with connections with other people in high places. There's also letter/email writing campaigns. All we can do beyond that is hope it's enough. They saved Star Trek back in the day, they saved Jericho, and perhaps we can save TPIR from... whatever it is we're trying to save it from. :D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 02:38:33 AM by Joe_Capitano »
b]*This signature has been removed by an anonymous admin without sending me a full copy of the signature, pointing out what was in rules violation, or an explanation or message to me of any kind. Answers to this mystery would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.*[/b]

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2008, 10:54:57 PM »
I've love to know just how much pull you think a fringe group of fanatical fans has on the production values of the show.

Last season, it was this "fringe" group that got the road back in Golden Road.  That, combined with the many other things that have happened with the show as a result of this group, is some mighty good testament that they know who we are and hear us.

Clearly, those in charge have decided to do whatever they want to do without any concern for the traditionalists in the fan base, in hopes of improving ratings, and dismissed the one real force behind keeping things status quo. 

As much as they can ignore what we say, they still know we're here; and I believe they know that, despite their contrary actions, the traditionalists are correct.
4. All prizes are good.

Offline PriceForever

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2008, 11:17:55 PM »

I'm not sure what to make of the second showcase.  It was funny, but something still seemed really off about it.

I tell you one thing that was wrong about that showcase and the pirate showcase...having the models dressed up as men...very creepy.  The models should have been female pirates and a female prospector. 

Creepy, man, creepy!

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2008, 11:27:26 PM »
I'm gonna do this in quick, point form...

- I'm too am getting sick of Drew's wacky entrances.
- Overall, I was pretty impressed with Drew's hosting - he's DEFINITELY improving
- What was with Drew in the audience?! The music they played before it totally sucked and was NOT TPiR at all. I think I wouldn't been OK with it if it was just Drew in the audience without the music.
- I find Pick-a-Number is being played A LOT. Not necessarily just this season, but in the last two... I thought it was a "fill-in" game for one that broke just before taping. Good news about it is that Drew didn't nearly break it! He was gentle! Alhtough, if he pulled on the game and threw it through the ceiling, I wouldn't be THAT upset....
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~

Online mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2008, 12:11:03 AM »
Last season, it was this "fringe" group that got the road back in Golden Road.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Roger already bring the dots back before we ever saw they were gone?

I believe the first playing with the dots back was in November - and those shows were in the can long before we could've ever complained (specifically, the November 26th episode where the dots returned was taped on October 11th, while S36 premiered October 15th).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 12:15:51 AM by mrbrown2195 »
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2008, 12:46:34 AM »
- What was with Drew in the audience?! The music they played before it totally sucked and was NOT TPiR at all. I think I wouldn't been OK with it if it was just Drew in the audience without the music.

I replayed it back and I wonder if Drew was dancing with someone because I saw beads in his hand, or someone simply could've just gave them to him.