Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/29/2008  (Read 16156 times)

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/29/2008
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 06:55:01 PM »
Range Game: I had this slight feeling it might be 7999 or 8099. Plus, I predicted the right price would be below the range. Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

One Bid 2: 6000 on flatwear? Okay.

Gas Money: "Throw that last card away; doesn't matter anyways." I actually whined at the fact that Kim could've won the full ten grand.

Most Expensive: That gas grill price weakened my strong belief that the bar was the most expensive a little bit.

Grocery Game: Methinks yet another contestant who thinks the Gold Bond Lotion is around four dollars and loses because of it...

2 For the Price of 1: I wanted to say 4 for the last number. I think some of the members of the audience was saying 4, but methinks he went along with his group who signaled 8.

One Bid 6: Nancy reminded me of Douglas Hall (Sounds like where I used to live on campus a few years ago) Friday: So close on some of the bidding but not enough to make it on stage.

Bonus Game: Every time a car is offered as a bonus, I say "Man, what a bonus!" Boy, Cynthia's miss of the model car really brought in the drama, especially showing just the three windows she had control of. Although I must admit it was kinda shotty the way the board was shot in the end.
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 07:31:23 PM »
Well, I have to commend Bart for zooming out to reveal the Range Game prop when Drew acknowledged the game.  I know of one or two times last season that Bart didn't do that, despite Drew acknowledging the game.

Well, we have our first foreign car day of Season 37, for a Honda Civic and Accord!  Since we saw that Mini Cooper in a showcase near the end of last season, I wonder if we will see foreign cars other than Hondas appear on the show.

I know that it stinks that Kim should have gone on and won the car and $10,000 in Gas Money, but $8,000 is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

It's great to see Most Expensive's pylons for the first time this season.  I missed them after seeing that the first playing this season, for 3 cars, they were MIA.

I was not expecting 2 For the Price of 1 and Bonus Game to show up so soon.  It's never a good idea to ask for the first number for free in 2 For 1, but Jason was so close to pulling a miracle win.

It's great to see Bonus Game last and for a car to boot!  It would have been such a heartbreaker if the bonus was in the fourth window, but thankfully it wasn't.

I should note, that the reveal for Bonus Game looked horrible in SD.  The picture had the fourth window practically out of the shot, and I heard some viewers saw the bonus on the third window, even though it was unlit.

Weird, we have no themed showcases.  I wonder when was the last time that ever happened on the show.

It appears they have changed the lines for the Range Game split screen shot.  I like these new, slimmer lines more preferably than the old thicker lines, considering the split screen shot used to use thinner lines.

Sometime last season, I don't know the exact date, Bart introduced the thin lines for the Range Game split-screen.  Also, instead of having the audience reaction shot in the bottom part of the left hand-side, the prize with the model is shown.

Speaking of Grocery Game, when did they change the price tags to use the More or Less font?  It looks really bad.

This is actually the first time the cards in Grocery Game have been printed with the More or Less font.

When's the last time Bonus was played last? When's the last time Bonus was played last and for a car? That was awesome.

February 9, 2006 was the last time Bonus Game was played sixth.  February 23, 2004 was the last time Bonus Game was played for a car and was also played sixth. 
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 09:00:19 PM »
I think I see now why this show was taped out of order -- they didn't want to do any Gas Money episodes before the game's actual first episode was taped.

Drew was light-years better today than he was on any show last week.  He did a great job hosting Gas Money, even building up the final reveal (yeah, he kinda ended up blowing it...but hey, people drop stuff).  He did have a few bad moments -- he was sorta "blah" at the end of Grocery Game, and he didn't host most of Bonus Game very well (although I have to give him credit, because at the end, he again did a really good job of building up the reveal) -- but really, if he'd host at least this well every day, the show would probably be doing much better than it is right now.  He clearly can do it...I just hope he does.

I was right about Gas Money -- Drew did a much more Bob-esque job of hosting it today, and all of a sudden, it really seemed exciting.

I see there are still echoes of Roger floating around...they've changed Grocery Game's prices to the More or Less font. :)

This might sound really stupid, but Bonus Game is more interesting to me nowadays when it isn't played for a car.  They just do it too often anymore.

Whoda thunk that Bonus Game would be the third small prize pricing game played this season?! It showed up on the second week of the season, and before games like Pathfinder, Five Price Tags, Cliff Hangers and Secret "X"! Shocking!

Well, there is still today's show before this one (which is really tomorrow's).  But still, yeah, pretty cool.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline fp2008

• In the Audience
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 09:28:13 PM »
Range Game: Tough loss for Eliott. Who else thinks the range should be increased? It's not the 1970s anymore. It always bad to see close losses like these.

One Bid #2: $6000 for flatware!! What was she thinking?! She probably meant $600 but who knows. Margaret just seemed distracted and out of place which is probably why she didn't make it out of CR.

Gas Money: Kim would've won the car had she played on and $10,000. But she won $8000 at least. Not bad.

Most Expensive: I was thinking the bar as well.

Grocery Game: I take it Daniel's never watched the show since he's never seen this before. I also noticed that the price tags for the groceries are now using the Kingpin font.

Bonus Game: Cynthia gets to play Bonus Game for a car. It seems that every time this game has been played for a car ever since Drew took over. Not complaining but something that often happened when Bob hosted.

Showcase 1:$20,190
Showcase 2:$38,000

Offline TPIRSteven

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 10:32:46 PM »
One Bid 1:  Am I the only one who gets annoyed when the last contestant bids way over everybody else?  I mean, the highest bid was $1,000 and Elliott went all the way up to $2,500!  If the elliptical trainer had been just $100 less, Elliott would have lost when something like $1,001 or even $1,100 would win easily.

Range Game:  I think we can blame the "Range Game syndrome" in the peanut gallery for this loss.  I would have placed the range between $8,020 and $8,170, winning by just a hair.

One Bid 2:  :wotc:

Gas Money:  This was an incredibly easy setup; it's too bad that Kim decided to bail out.  Still, $8,000 is a nice chunk of change, and I can understand her fear of losing it.

Most Expensive:  I picked the bar as well.

Grocery Game:  No!  Not the lotion!  I would have likely won in the end with two sauces.

2 for the Price of 1:  This was a tough setup; the last two numbers were pretty much 50-50 guesses.  I still can't figure out why so many people ask for the first number in this game...

Bonus Game:  Played for a car, and it was won!  I was hoping for Cynthia to run the board, but she still came out with a nice win, anyway.

Showcases:  Nice win by Brianna!  9 contestants out of ten wouldn't have had a chance at beating her with that FRTS.

Overall, a pretty good show in my opinion.  It was definitely much better than the loss marathons that we had late last week.  All six games were quite winnable, with 2 for the Price of 1 being the most difficult in my opinion.

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 10:54:52 PM »
Game #7 (#6,928)

Showcase #1
Living Room - $6,068
Buy.com - $1,000
Snowmobiles - $14,598

Showcase #2
Frames - $140
Trip to Paris - $11,251
Trailer for Spider-Pigs - $25,382

Total show prize value:  $142,567 (26 prizes)

Your Modeling Scorecard for September 30, 2008
Daily Records
High:  $77,034 (Gabrielle Tuite, 2004)
Low:  $15,896 (Brandi Sherwood, 2002)

Rachel Reynolds
September 30
Total dollars:  $39,927
($13,921 won, $26,006 lost)
Total prizes:  8 (6-2)
Cars, Trips: 0, 0

After 6 shows
Total dollars:  $411,500
($177,988 won, $233,512 lost)
Total prizes:  54 (34-20)
Cars, Trips: 5, 7 (2-3, 4-3)

Brandi Sherwood
September 30
Total dollars:  $60,980
($14,337 won, $46,643 lost)
Total prizes:  9 (4-5)
Cars, Trips: 1, 2

After 6 shows
Total dollars:  $369,711
($144,639 won, $225,072 lost)
Total prizes:  48 (29-19)
Cars, Trips: 7, 9 (3-4, 4-5)

Tamiko Nash
September 30
Total dollars:  $39,169
($27,778 won, $11,391 lost)
Total prizes:  7 (5-2)
Cars, Trips: 1, 1

After 6 shows
Total dollars:  $555,968
($167,047 won, $388,921 lost)
Total prizes:  49 (33-16)
Cars, Trips: 11, 4 (3-8, 2-2)

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 10:58:26 PM »
Range Game:  Maaan!  Missed it by only $26! :-(
Gas Money:  Doh!!  Should've went for it! :headbang:
Most Expensive:  Good job!
Grocery Game:  Too bad! :-(  Daniel should've went for 2 of the pasta sauce instead of 1 of the Gold Bond lotion.
2 For The Price Of 1:  I thought he had it! 8-O  I think he should've taken the last number for his free number.
Bonus Game:  Bonus Game last and for a car!  And it was won!  Awesome! :-D  :-D

An okay show overall, IMHO.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 12:21:48 AM »
Gas Money was twenty times better today then last week.  I still feel that on the last card, Drew should flip over the top one and look for the "CAR".

Of course it's easy to say now she should have gone for it, but she wasn't sure.  An $8000 bailout is more then many contestants win.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 08:53:41 AM »
Monster lineup today.   Bonus comes completely out of nowhere.

From two playings, Gas Money looks like a fairly quick game, and a game that could be made "hurry-up".  It'll probably see fairly frequent play (hopefully...it's a fun game with a fun set).
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 10:13:27 AM »
Range: I missed it by $12!!!  :-o  :oops:

IUFB #2: WHAT THE HECK???!!! :-o :-o :-o

GAS Money: Drew's explanation of this game last week did seem dismal unlike he explained it on this one. That's the excitement fuel I really love!! Oh, Kim!!! YOU'VE HAD IT!!! Heck, I probably would've done the same thing. $8K is better than nothing at all, though.

Most: Great minds think alike!! Got this one, too!!  :-) Great to see the backdrops back, too!!

Grocery: Gold Bond Lotion??!! Boy, was that the kill!!! The "MoL" font on the little cards is out of touch.

2 for 1: I also would've went with the third digit for the freebie. Too bad.

Bonus: SIXTH??!!!  :-o ...and for a CAR, too!!! 8-O Drew did seem a bit out of it at times. Cynthia was a BLAST!!! I had a gut feeling the model car would be more, But the heck with it. A very well-deserved win!!!  :-)

Showcases: Well, I just had no doubts that Brianna would take this one after we get another round of "A  :frts: on Steroids".

A 3.25-star show.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 05:43:13 PM »
Awful bailout in Gas Money. $18,395 was so obvious... it should have been won.

I'm glad Margaret didn't get on stage. Her constant one-upping of Nancy was getting ridiculous... you'd think Margaret hated her or something.

I thought it was funny how everyone was just chilling on Brianna's new furniture during the credits. :lol:

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Cynthia
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 10:01:31 AM »
I forgot to mention this, but the dining room presentation in Grocery Game was probably the worst presentation of a room I have ever seen.  There was only one backdrop used, and the pieces of furniture were on two separate carpet platforms instead of just one.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2008, 01:47:46 AM »
One-Bid #2: $6000!? Anybody got a surfboard for Margaret? :lol:

Gas Money: I was thinking $20,161 for the car, so I got a little worried when Drew revealed the $20K card.  $8000 is nothing to sneeze at, though.

Grocery Game: The moment he said one Gold Bond, I knew he had lost.

Bonus Game: Wow, for a car!  And the only car game of the 2nd half!  I thought for sure Roger had put the bonus with the turntable or model car.  But luckily, he didn't, and Nancy won!
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline martink

• In the Audience
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2008, 09:16:08 AM »
I thought they stopped putting foriegn cars on the show in the early 90's

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2008, 10:20:06 AM »
They did, but starting with the MDS that aired on 3/14/2008, foreign cars came back to the show.  On the MDS's, two Jaguars (The XK and XF), three Minis (the Cooper, Cooper S Convertible, and Clubman S), and one Porsche (the Cayman) were offered.

The foreign cars came back to the daytime show on May 7, 2008.  The ones offered were Hondas (Civic, Accord sedan/coupe, and Element) with one Mini Cooper offered towards the end of last season.