Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/14/2008  (Read 18024 times)

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/14/2008
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2008, 02:36:17 AM »
Opening:  Drew didn't go over the top today with the door gag.  Yay!

Most Expensive: This one almost fooled me.  That table with 2 chairs didn't look that pricey.

It's In The Bag:  Bernadine was a riot to watch and so excited to be there.  It was hard not to root for her, and it's too bad she didn't go all the way.  Drew really must have been feeding off her energy, cause I don't think I've seen that much energy from Drew all season (if not for several months).  It was almost too energetic and fast, like he was on something during this segment.  Despite that, Drew hosted this segment very well.

Card Game:  Amanda's first card was the only one needed.  I'm really starting to think the revised opening bid is not only for time, but to possibly create more overbids in this game.  Drew's reveal was probably one of the best he's done in this game. 

SCSD #1:  Drew mentions again that he "has to ask" if Bernadine was going to spin again.  However, he doesn't ask if Amanda wants to spin again to break her tie with Bernadine.  In my opinion, the 'mandatory' question prompt should occur in the latter case.  Today it wasn't a big deal, cause with 75 cents Amanda would likely have taken the spinoff option if asked.  If it were a number like 55, though, Amanda may have wanted to spin again. 

Secret X:  A SP game, and I called this one too.  Kudos to Nancy for picking the bottom square with her second X...although there this time, that bottom row seemed to burn a lot of players last season.

Cover Up: Minor flubbing in the reveals by Drew, but not too bad.  I'd have nailed that last number by the third try.  (1, 4, and 6 seem to be the more frequent final numbers when the paint/fabric protection is involved.  I didn't realize certain makes typically end with certain numbers in these instances.)

Bargain Bar:  It felt like "hurry up offense" was in effect, but without any particular reason why.  Drew skips the Barker reference yet again...I wonder if the new executive producers are asking him not to mention Bob.  The game itself was a crapshoot, as furniture items like wine cabinets have a tendency to be deceptively priced.

Showcase intro:  The music cue today was a little better...at least it didn't sound as out of place as the MDS cue Stan's been using.

Showcase 1:  I agree with Frank, this showcase may have worked better presented second.  This is solely based on the fact that Rich specifically addressed Nancy (as top winner) by name, when either of them may have been potential bidders.

Train Depot Showcase:  They tinkered with the wording a bit here, but not nearly as badly as the last Port-O-Price showcase.  It was cool to see the train drive in today (it doesn't take that much more time to do this, so I'm not sure why they stopped).  Shane drove a bit too far for that snowmobile platform to fit in the depot window at the end.

Ending:  Bernadine's reaction was priceless!!  I don't think I've ever seen a contestant win a showcase and be in a state of utter shock for so long after the reveal.  Even when moving towards the 'prize parade', it look like she stopped and almost fainted before her group picked her up and carried her halfway across stage.

Today was a really great show to watch.  With 3 winners and 1 bailout, that's about the highest amount of winning we've seen thus far this season.  Drew was on top of his game today, despite some really minor flubs.  He was very energetic on this show, and hosted very well.  One thing I've noticed lately is that he's been getting better and adding a bit more suspense with price reveals.  This was evident in a couple of the bidding rounds today, in Card Game, and has been improving in the showcase reveals as of late.  These are the kinds of things that he really needs to keep doing in order to hone his skills as TPiR emcee.  With this kind of energy and enthusiasm for the games and the dramatic points in the games and the show overall, minor glitches along the way are much more forgivable because he's keeping the viewers engaged to the action and not the mechanics of the show.  Keep it up, Drew!
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2008, 08:10:50 PM »
Most Expensive-Great win to start the day.

It's in the Bag-WOW, Drew's hosting during this game was really great!  BOO, audience!  She could've won $16K and you wanted her to stop!

Card Game-Wow, that was a cheap Pontiac Vibe.  I thought she should have gone a little farther.

Secret X-That's 3 wins...Can we get a 4th?

Cover Up-GAAH, not yet!  I really thought Jessica won.

Barker's Bargain Bar-Wow, 17 shows and the best so far that's aired is a 3 for 6.  Better luck tomorrow, I guess.

Showcases-It looked for a second that Bernadine was gonna faint.  She was a really great contestant.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2008, 10:11:13 PM »
Game #27 (#6,948)

Showcase #1
Vtech phones - $380
Trip to Cancun - $5,175
Hi Lo Trailer - $24,373

Showcase #2
Pinball Machine - $5,595
Sofa - $2,199
Snowmobile - $7,999

*One of the Stage Managers added them up and knocked it down $1 due to rounding.

Total show prize value:  $127,563 (28 prizes)

Your Modeling Scorecard for October 28, 2008
Daily Records
High:  $70,283 (Gabrielle Tuite, 2004)
Low:  $18,636 (Shane Stirling, 2003)

Rachel Reynolds
October 28
Total:  $53,750
($29,669 won, $24,081 lost)
Total prizes:  8 (6-2)
Cars, Trips: 1, 0

After 16 shows
Total dollars:  $986,055