Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/17/2008  (Read 22558 times)

Offline baklava724

• Outside in Line
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/17/2008
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2008, 12:44:54 AM »
Maybe I misheard, but I could've sworn on the reveal in Magic #, I heard Drew say the first prize had to be less than the Magic # for the contestant to win.

That would be correct -- the first (assuming you mean the lower priced) prize's price should be less than the Magic Number.  That would make the M# higher than the price of the prize (and hopefully lower than the price of the higher priced prize).

Offline ardjark

• Outside in Line
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2008, 12:56:16 AM »
Anybody else notice that in 10 Chances the blue price graphic for the car was incorrect?  It showed 17,880 instead of 17,980.

I say we call for a congressional investigation.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2008, 01:20:54 AM »
Actually, it was correct.  It's hard to see sometimes the difference between 6s, 8s, and 9s in Ten Chances.  It was one of the games we recommended a font change on!  :)

« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 02:06:57 AM by Joe_Capitano »
John

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2008, 01:22:22 AM »
That would be correct -- the first (assuming you mean the lower priced) prize's price should be less than the Magic Number.  That would make the M# higher than the price of the prize (and hopefully lower than the price of the higher priced prize).

Thanks for pointing that out. What I said and what I meant to say are two totally different things. I actually thought "I'll probably bungle what I'm trying to say" as I was typing that sentence. Ta-daaah!

Offline ardjark

• Outside in Line
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2008, 01:35:40 AM »
Actually, it was correct.  It's hard to see sometimes the difference between 6s, 8s, and 9s in Ten Chances.  It was one of the games we recommended a font change on!  :)

Wow, guess I need a bigger TV... or glasses.  I humbly withdraw my complaint *slinks out of room, hat in hands*

Offline BobJacobsenVer1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2008, 01:36:14 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and say James was the best contestant so far this year. He was so much fun, he was someone you could really get behind, Drew was talking about him, his hobby etc... he got the game and it was first time this year when he won the car, I jumped in excitement... way to go James!

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2008, 05:46:30 PM »
Nick wrote:
John is enough evidence for me.

This post was in regard to a question I had posed (and replied back to Nick's original answer) about his suspicion that Drew Carey is writing the Showcase scripts. I understand that John is site administrator and pretty reliable with his facts, but in the case of who is writing the scripts for the show, all it is is speculation.

Hate to sound like Wikipedia here, but unless someone can link me to a reliable source stating that Drew Carey is definitely writing these Showcase scripts that seem to be so terrible lately, I will not believe it.

Brian

Offline The Square

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2008, 06:13:43 PM »
James was a memorable contestant, because Drew prompted him about his train hobby and James offered that interesting statement about his wife letting him keep his trains in the living room if she can store her dolls underneath. Those are the kinds of things that make the contestants interesting, and the kinds of things I hope Drew can draw out of contestants more in the future.

In fact, that whole segment was going well until Drew started talking about how long Ten Chances takes. The reason that Drew finds Ten Chances to be long and frustrating is because he makes it long and frustrating. This playing is another example of why. After James chose reasonable but incorrect prices the first four times for the guitar, instead of offering any words of encouragement, Drew's spirit dropped right along with James when James said that he was stuck. Especially with a likable guy like James who has a clear chance of winning because he's ending all of his guesses with 0, that's when the host needs to say, "Don't get discouraged. Take a look at what you've written. We know those are wrong, but you're narrowing it down. You can get that guitar. Go to it!" Instead, Drew has already given up by pointing out that oh well, it's a nice cereal dispenser that James won.

Online mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2008, 08:57:34 PM »
In fact, that whole segment was going well until Drew started talking about how long Ten Chances takes. The reason that Drew finds Ten Chances to be long and frustrating is because he makes it long and frustrating.

It was long and frustrating under Bob too. Unless they actually start buzzing people out like Bob used to threaten, it will continue to be long and frustrating, but still very enjoyable.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Superfan

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2008, 09:16:48 PM »
That's not true.  It was never long and boring when Bob hosted because I have seen it in person. I also saw Drew host in person.  My friends were there earlier this year and it took more than 15 minutes to play the 10 chances game.  It was so boring everyone in the audience was not interested.  That's not the game's fault it's the host fault.  Bob knows how to make it work out because my wife's favoriate game is that one!  Drew just needs to make them play the game and go faster and maybe he won't not hate the long games.  Did I read somewhere here that Drew hates 3 strikes game too because its long?

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2008, 09:17:48 PM »
My friends were there earlier this year and it took more than 15 minutes to play the 10 chances game. 

Why?

John

Online mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2008, 09:50:53 PM »
That's not true.  It was never long and boring when Bob hosted because I have seen it in person.

I didn't say it was long and boring - I said long and frustrating (≠ boring); which it most certainly is; I've seen it in person too, with Bob, and its incredibly frustrating to watch contestants who have no clue what they're doing write out absolutely ridiculous prices over and over again.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2008, 12:17:33 AM »
Nick wrote:
This post was in regard to a question I had posed (and replied back to Nick's original answer) about his suspicion that Drew Carey is writing the Showcase scripts. I understand that John is site administrator and pretty reliable with his facts, but in the case of who is writing the scripts for the show, all it is is speculation.

Hate to sound like Wikipedia here, but unless someone can link me to a reliable source stating that Drew Carey is definitely writing these Showcase scripts that seem to be so terrible lately, I will not believe it.

Brian

Okay, Brian.  If you want to treat it like Wikipedia, I'll answer you exactly as I would if we were over there.

To be blunt, we know more about the show than anybody else.  If we're telling you that Drew is writing the showcases, you can be damn sure we heard it from somebody who'd be in a position to know.  Frankly, I'm insulted that you'd even entertain the notion that we might be lying to you.

Guess what?  Drew's writing the showcases.

You don't have to believe us if you don't want to -- but if you don't, you're gonna be wrong.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline PriceForever

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2008, 01:49:09 AM »
  It was never long and boring when Bob hosted because I have seen it in person.

There is a subtle difference playing these games with Bob than it is with Drew.  Have you noticed when you watch the show that you never hear Drew say "hurry up" or "time's a-wasting" or "this is only a hour show and make up your mind."  Drew never, never, never, tells a contestant that they HAVE to make a decision.  He just stands there (classic example is Money Game!).  Bob seemed to hurry the contestant along if they took too long, which he had to do all the time during Ten Chances.  I have never been to a Drew taping with ten chances but I bet he just stands there and lets them take forever.  THAT"S why the unedited versions of ten chances takes ten minutes!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2008, 03:30:16 AM »
That's a very good point, PriceForever.  Ten Chances has always had its share of slow contestants, but at least in times past, if you were getting frustrated with them, you knew Bob was getting frustrated right along with you -- and somehow, that made the whole thing more watchable.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.