Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/20/2008  (Read 37120 times)

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/20/2008
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2008, 06:19:03 PM »
Let`s see here...two African American contestants...and jokes about Fried Chicken....
Think CBS and Fremantle now have thier reason to oust Vinnage...ASAP.

I don't think racism has anything to do with this.
Signatures are overrated.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2008, 06:40:06 PM »
Opening:  No lightbox?! 

One-Bid #1:  Ooooh... flashy new clammy.

1WP:  Yay!  Half-Off cue! :P  What the... a trip to Utah?!  Is that a first for this show?  And I also can't believe that they offered a trip with two non-trips.  That trip was just so... out-of-place.

Money:  El Cheapo was just screaming "PICK ME!"  And Elaine didn't waste any time picking it, either.

Shelly:  Yay!  Shell Game! :P  What the hell kind of an alarm clock was that?  You hit snooze and it rolls away?  That scuba mask/digital camera combo looks pretty cool, though.  Why didn't I think of that one?

One-Bid #4:  Did Rich actually say "Woohoo!"?

Coggy:  How was that lost?

One-Bid #5:  Wow, a karaoke system that looks like a washer and dryer!  Must be manufactured by the same people who make the digital piano that looks like a refrigerator.  :oldlol:

One-Bid #6:  Wow, a washer and dryer that looks like a karaoke system! :oldlol:

SC #1:  WHOO Rich on camera!  Might make me look over my frustration of this showcase having absolutely no theme.  Oh, good, Rich actually did have a bucket of fried chicken, so at least there was a point in Drew constantly answering "fried chicken".

SC #2:  "You know what goes great when there's big snow falling all around you?"  Fried chicken!  It's fried chicken, dammit! :P

You know, Bob would never allow all of these fried chicken references.

My showcase bids:
Fried chicken Equinox--$25,507
Fried chicken Chrysler--$32,707

I'm glad that we didn't have a drinking game in chat where we take a drink each time "fried chicken" was mentioned today.  All of us would be too snockered to play CSS.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline rob01234

• In the Audience
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 06:41:55 PM »
If the reason for the light border's removal has to do with 4:3 vs. 16:9 (and it DOES look weird on a standard-format screen with the sides cut off), isn't it possible to reproduce it "virtually" so that it shows up properly in either format?

Why not just letterbox the opening sequence with the light border and once the light border zooms out, switch to HD?
Never Forget: Superball!!!

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2008, 06:53:26 PM »
And yet no one mentions the change to the "stage in the back".

And the border being gone I can almost guarantee has nothing to do with 16:9 4:3 issues.  It's gone because someone wanted it that way.  "You're living in the past" I'm sure was the reasoning.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2008, 06:57:14 PM »

Are you referring to the new carpet or whatever it is back there? I did notice that...it had black around the TPiR logo.  I kinda liked that platform better plain white.

I noticed that Rich also got a new/repainted podium, too...it appeared to be green with a G-T asterisk on it.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2008, 07:00:14 PM »
Yes I am, and it wasn't there when I was there.  It was a white carpet with the logo.  Assuming they ever let me back in there, I'm stealing it. 

And yes Rich's podium has a new look and is actually one of the only change I actually thought was neat.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 08:31:13 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2008, 07:02:43 PM »
The opening looks better in SD without the light border, and I am not upset that it has been removed because the thing looked hideous.  If it was the former light border being discontinued, then I'd be picking a beef right now; but since it is not, all is relatively neutral on that change.

That was the weirdest setup of prizes in One Wrong Price that I have ever seen.

How does Drew manage to forget to ask Rich for the next contestant twice in a row?  I'm quite surprised that they didn't do a pick-up on that... although I shouldn't be because Drew probably found it "funny."  Props to Rich though for being on top of things and segueing properly both times.

Yup, Zeke's reaction to the green screen was pretty much what I was expecting out of these lifeless trip reveals, and this is one place where toning down the excitement isn't a good thing.

Well, Drew couldn't have killed the excitement out of Shell Game fast enough.  Has he always been this pathetic with the shell reveals?

I'm having quite a hard time finding Rich's flub on the fifth One Bid legitimate.  There was a part of that episode that seemed like it was planned.  I suppose it could have been a genuine mistake, but how would Rich have managed to get so far off from the right page of his script?

Instead of seeming-haphazardly placed shots of the audience while going to commercial, how's about still bumper shots of the contestant instead?  Hey, if they've got the time for them, they might as well.

If there's one praising thing I can say about Drew today it was that there was no "wanna' say ‘hi’ to anybody?" junk during either of the Showcase Showdowns.  They flowed so much better without the constant shoutouts.

I'm not quite sure which was worse:  the first Showcase with poor writing inclusive of "fried chicken," or the second Showcase in ridicule of every "better" first Showcase there ever was.  Either way, both of them were extremely unpleasant to watch.

There were probably more negative things that I wanted to remark about with this episode, but I decided to watch one of the half hour shows from the DVD release after this episode because I was so disgusted with the terrible production, and that good episode from '75 has hopefully made me forget about some of the atrocities of this episode.  It seems each time I think things cannot get worse with a certain aspect of the show, it gets worse, and if those already-destroyed elements of the show are to get even worse along with even more destruction of the sanctity of the show, then I honestly do not know how I, and certain others of us who are holding on dear to the show grieving every day it gets worse, will manage to continue watching.

In the name of all that is precious, rehire Roger, Syd.

Yeah, I don't understand why they're putting black back there, as if to draw attention to that empty space in the audience area; but it does highlight the logo, which may help remind people that, yes, despite how bad it's being produced, this is The Price Is Right.

And the border being gone I can almost guarantee has nothing to do with 16:9 4:3 issues.  It's gone because someone wanted it that way.  "You're living in the past" I'm sure was the reasoning.

I'll believe it was part of the reason, but it seems logical to assume aspect ratio issues were a part of that too.  Really, I understand that a change like this should bother me, but honestly, the border was so garish that it makes the whole opening look much better without it.

Don't think I'm falling away from you, Willy.  I feel the way you do about nearly everything that's happened and is yet to come.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 07:08:06 PM by Nick »
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline djsquare

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • tpirmodels.com
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2008, 07:08:50 PM »
I'm 17 finally!Apparantly I'm the only one who thinks that these silly showcases are good.

Bingo!

Online mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2008, 07:15:09 PM »

Does this "suggest" they are going to go to a black floor?
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Pushover72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2008, 07:16:37 PM »
I, too, though Rich's flub was on purpose.  It didn't feel  100% spontaneious..methinks it was a feeble attempt to add a clip to the show's blooper reel!

I am really getting surprised that no one in the CBS programming department is saying anything about these bad showcases.  Usually, I thought, networks have a say as to what is acually produced and put on their network.  The people at CBS should be ashamed that they did not find these below network standards.  They are written as if by an amateur and do not deserved  to be on CBS (maybe they would be OK on some cable station---no, not even there!)

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
Does this "suggest" they are going to go to a black floor?

That depends upon what you mean by "going to a black floor", because there's another change no one has caught onto yet, or at least where I've seen.  If I were you, I'd go find a S35 clip to watch where you get a good shot of the floor under Row 1 and then watch a recent DCTPiR.

Offline djsquare

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • tpirmodels.com
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2008, 07:22:09 PM »
I don't think racism has anything to do with this.

Especially since Manuela is colombian... not african-american!

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »
I wonder if whoever wins this Model Search will be replacing Gwendolyn Osbourne later this season.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2008, 07:23:44 PM »
I liked it better when Rich said the "It's a new upright piano" line last year. In Shell Game, should the host remove the shells one at a time instead of two at the same time? To borrow an old line from Bob, at least the guy knew that the damn thing wasn't there! And Drew made sure of it when he removed the one shell that didn't have the ball.

Fried chicken after the Showcases? What were they thinking??? Of all the shows to eat it on, they choose to do it here, where everyone believes in the whole spaying and neutering business?! Have they lost their freakin' minds???

And where did that light border go??? I loved seeing it at the opening of every show for the past few months.

Oh well...Meanwhile, I'm busy prepping screenshots for my HYO shows...  :-P

Offline dh027

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2008, 07:24:12 PM »
And yes Rich's podium has a new look and is actually one of the only change I actually thought was neat.

I noticed it during the open today.  It is pastel green on the front with a yellow G-T asterisk on it. You can see it when the jib pans over to Zeke's group as he's called.