Author Topic: Fremantle's changes  (Read 15106 times)

Offline PriceForever

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Fremantle's changes
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 01:05:37 AM »
I wish we could sit down with Drew and tell him how he's ruining the show with his selfish unfunny antics.

However, that's Sid and Mikey's job...but I don't think they're going to do it.  Is it because they like what Drew's been doing to the show or are Sid and Mikey afraid to talk to Drew?

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 09:30:27 AM »
The showcases are no longer about the contestant seeing great prizes and adding them up.  Now it is about Drew's sophomoric jokes and distractions from Rich that do not help the contestant bid on their showcases.

Seeing as how the point of the show is to keep people watching the commercials, it's hardly surprising they've taken the word 'showcase' from a noun to a verb and done things that'll actually make them interesting and (gasp!) worth watching, as opposed to flicking channels and getting a head-start on Sportscenter or whatever.  Usually, when watching the Showcase, I would hear 'blah blah blah...spa...blah blah blah...Australia...blah blah...Ford Focus'.  How, exactly, is that going to bring in more viewers than 'THE MODELS CAN TALK!  Oh, and here's a Focus, by the way."?

Unless you're afraid that millions of viewers will die from choking caused by chuckling at a lame joke.  Then I understand.

I guess I just don't understand the rally of 'ratings are falling, so I really really wish they'd stop doing things that might increase ratings'.  (Note that this is not a blanket statement...I'm just as peeved about what happened to Three Strikes as the rest of you guys, for example.)
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 10:50:55 AM »
The thing is, to me anyway, they're not doing things to increase the ratings. Sure, the showcases of later years could be pepped up, and I think the show realized that, but the way they're going about it now, just...no thanks. I'll take a "common word theme" anytime over what we've seen in the last couple of weeks.

I understand they're making an effort to increase ratings, but they're trying too hard in most cases, and I just think the end result is pretty bad.

Offline tpir08

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 01:03:31 PM »
I have 2 ways to look at this.
1, Maybe they are really trying to get a younger audience by making all of these changes for new people who don't know the show.  It is also drews 2nd year, maybe S38(if there is one) will be better.

2, This may have been said before, but if the show is cancelled, GSN could pick up rights to ALL episodes of price (Excluding the fur episodes) and show them and we will have almost 35 years for people to watch.  I know there wouldn't be new eps but I haven't seen many from 72-mid 90's and late 90's to now, so they would be new to me.

I am not trying to flame anyone for their comments as your opinions are your opinions.  I am just stating what I think and I apologize if I have offended anyone.
<-- Click here to begin!

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 01:16:41 PM »
It is also drews 2nd year, maybe S38(if there is one) will be better.

Personally, I think we're well past the point where we can say "Oh, Drew's new at this, he's only been on the job X number of months."

Offline supergoten

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 02:01:14 PM »
Personally i'm liking the new showcases, they seem to be better than just plain old "here's a living room set!" I mean which is more memorable, the Price is Right train or THE MODELS CAN TALK! I prefer the second one.

The light box, well now that it's gone it is a little strange but actually I've hated it all season because it looked too messed up on my TV. So that's one change I've hated for a while, while everyone else seemed to like it in HD.

Offline bingocaller1

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 02:25:01 PM »
My feelings are if it is not broke don't fix it! But I guess we just have to live with it!

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 02:34:44 PM »
I mean which is more memorable, the Price is Right train or THE MODELS CAN TALK! I prefer the second one.

Definitely, the train. They're all prizes brought in on a train (a theme going on here, the prizes are all on flat cars, being pulled by an engine, rolling into a depot etc.)...and the models...well, they can talk...we knew that, and the prizes...just kind of thrown together with poor writing.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 02:47:57 PM »
You simply can't make a cake without breaking a few eggs. Are all the changes good or even neccesary? Certainly not, but anyone who expected the show to remain a carbon copy of Barker's last 5+ year, was an overly hopeful fool. If it had; with only the replacement of Drew, people would have said he was trying to ape Bob's performance, and there would have been even more howls of disapproval. Quite simply, they are trying to find what works and what doesn't. The only way they can do that, is to put it out there and get the audiences reaction. We are all well aware from comments Bob made over the years, that the audience does response to what happens on the show. Barker, as excutive producer, did listen to the audience. Did he heed every opinion they put forth? Quite unlikely.
The producers of the show are attempting to wrap Price around Drew's style and talents. That's not necessary you claim? Yes it is, because Drew is not Bob Barker. There will never be another Bob Barker, because his style of hosting has long since disappeared from the tv screen. Face it, Barker is the last of his generation, professionally, and that is that.
So if you want to let your displeasure be known; write a letter to CBS, or the producers and tell them. Are they going to listen? If they are professionals, of course they will take into account the opinion of their audience, but that certainly does not guarantee a change.  Meanwhile, coming in to this forum, stamping your feet and huffing and puffing great billows of smoke, (which is what a lot of people seem to do, because they think their opinion is the only correct one) is nothing more than chest thumping and that certainly gets nothing done.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 02:57:39 PM »
The producers of the show are attempting to wrap Price around Drew's style and talents. That's not necessary you claim? Yes it is, because Drew is not Bob Barker.

And this is exactly why the changes won't work and aren't working. The show hasn't ever been about the host. It's about the contestants. The show should never be changed to fit who's hosting. Right now, they're attempting to form Price is Right to Drew Carey rather than him changing (which could be accomplished with minimal effort on his part).

Meanwhile, coming in to this forum, stamping your feet and huffing and puffing great billows of smoke, (which is what a lot of people seem to do, because they think their opinion is the only correct one) is nothing more than chest thumping and that certainly gets nothing done.

But certainly, people are allowed to give their opinions and tell us why they like those changes or if the changes frustrate them. People who like the changes might find it exasperating from time to time, but it isn't fair for them to expect those who dislike the changes to just go write to CBS and not say anything here.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 03:02:50 PM by temptation1979ga »

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 03:08:44 PM »
Yet having Drew conform to a style and format that Bob honed to a fine edge is also a mistake. I still say anyone dropped into the middle of that show, and is expected to do things exactly the way Bob did it, is a huge blunder. Drew does not simply have that style of hosting that you would have found back in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Anyone who tries to do it that way, is simply not going to be believable, because it would be a comparsion to Bob's style.
Is replacing Drew a solution? I have to say no, because some of the names I have seen tossed around here as possible hosts; after Barker annouced his retirement, I felt were either cheap imitations of Bob, or simply just cheesy perfomers.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 03:17:06 PM »
I mean which is more memorable, the Price is Right train or THE MODELS CAN TALK! I prefer the second one.

You chose a bad example. The Train, Port o' Price, Department Store, and Bank are some of the most memorable showcases. I do get what you are saying, though.
Signatures are overrated.

Offline Scott5114

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2008, 03:26:02 PM »
From what I've seen of clips of Tom Kennedy's TPIR, it's entirely possible to take Barker-era TPIR, put in a new host, and come out with a product that was pretty excellent. In fact, I think the only person who doesn't like Tom Kennedy TPIR might be Tom Kennedy.

Offline jzion12345

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 03:45:11 PM »
From what I've seen of clips of Tom Kennedy's TPIR, it's entirely possible to take Barker-era TPIR, put in a new host, and come out with a product that was pretty excellent. In fact, I think the only person who doesn't like Tom Kennedy TPIR might be Tom Kennedy.

Well...I have to agree with you and disagree at the same time. Both Bob Barker and Tom Kennedy were from the same era, and had the same type of training. They both were game show hosts for trade, and not comedians. Frankly, Tom Kennedy worked because he was a perfect fit for the show. Drew Carrey is not a perfect fit for the Bob Barker era format and writing of TPiR. Frankly, I thought that Drew did a fine job last year at hosting TPiR, but this year, with all the changes, is just dreadful. TPiR is not TPiR we all knew. Tailoring the show to Drew is not the way to keep a 37 year old show alive. I'll be interested to see how Countdown goes with their new hosts this season, and whether they "tailor" the show to their talents. The same way TPiR is beloved in this country, Countdown is in the UK. It will sure be interesting.

Offline KingOfTheHill

• In the Audience
  • "I tell you what!"
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 03:56:03 PM »
The statement that Bob is the last of his generation is an unfortunate truth, and it's made worse by what came after.  Look at what Bob was--serious and professional, the man in control and everyone on both sides of the camera knew it.  He always came across like he knew everything there was to know and so there were times when something would happen, and you just knew he was going to say something funny--and when he said it you just laughed all the harder because you saw it coming (I did at any rate).  Bob would say something, and if no one laughed, he'd make a quick sarcastic remark so people would laugh, and then move on.  It was quick and efficient and you never felt lost.  He was the World's Greatest Master of Ceremonies, and that's simply that.

Then comes Drew.  Loose, light, and almost too comical for his own good.  He doesn't really feel onscreen like he's in control so much as he's just along for the ride without being able to influence anything.  He just seems like his only focus is getting the laugh.  Bob wouldn't force a laugh like Drew does, and if there wasn't a good laughable moment he'd just move on.  Drew seems like he's actively trying to get a laugh at every turn, and the whole humor bit with him has gotten old.  Think about how it is when you've got someone you don't really know who's always trying to make you laugh, but you persistently don't get the joke and eventually you just nod and say "yes" without really caring--it seems like that's where we are with Drew now.  I'm not saying it's a hopeless situation, but it's far from ideal.

In any case, part of it is just the jarring shock between the two.  At first Drew was a lot shakier, he spoke way too fast, he was always toying with his jacket pocket, he fumbled the rules (and still does!), and only dropped a witty remark every now and then (although the running gag with the Oreo bags was pretty funny, as was the bit where he kept going "WHAT?" while Rich was describing the hearing aid--to say nothing of "QUIET SHE'S PUTTING!").  Some things didn't work quite as well, such as "OH MIGHTY SOUND EFFECTS LADY" or the whole Ezekiel Barker thing (I didn't particularly care for that at least, not after the 3rd or 4th time anyway; and I still have mixed feelings about the remarks about the quill pen from Check Game being around since the 1800s).  The point is, it at least seemed to flow better.  Now all of a sudden everything seems geared, officially or not, towards making people laugh.  They still get a good one every now and again--the thing with Rich inhaling helium during the Showcase was good, but only because he did it again during his signoff which was unexpected--but for the most part it's detracting from what we tune in to see.  Or at least, what I tune in to see.
"How now, gas man!"
-King of the Hill

MIKE JUDGE RULES!!!