Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/20/2008  (Read 37110 times)

Offline jj09

• In Contestant's Row
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/20/2008
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2008, 03:29:31 PM »
I have learned that they have removed several rows of seats from the audience.  This will no longer allow 325(ish) people in the studio.  There has been trouble obtaining audiences.

Gee, I wonder why?  :-D

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2008, 03:55:36 PM »
All i was thinking and saying is that you hope that someone would have before the showcase or after apologized for the showcase...
Had it been two white fianlsts...
I would have just thought it a bad idea by that sense of it...as a ill tought out showcase plot device...
But,to have two African American contestants in the showcase...
The bit made me feel queasy and uncomfortable with it knowing what fried chicken means when used around African Americans in certain contexts...
That`s all i was pointing out there.

Offline spunker88

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2008, 04:10:24 PM »
With school and everything i never get to watch price, so i went to watch it on cbs.com today and was shocked by the differences.

The show is getting a little too foolish.

"Whos Price is it Anyway?" would be a good name for it.
Picture: 1978 Showcase Dedicated to the Dob

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2008, 06:23:25 PM »
#1.  In my opinion, Rich's blooper HAD to have been staged.  There is NO WAY that Bart had time to look at Drew's camera monitor, and then tell his Technical Director to take the camera on Drew.  It was too fast of a camera cut. 

Not necessarily; when Rich flubbed last season, they didn't cut to Drew (though you could hear his laughing), but in the blooper reel published on YouTube and CBS.com, the flub clearly features a cut to Drew laughing on camera, which was not in the original broadcast.

Of course, they could've just taken a generic shot of Drew laughing, but I really doubt they'd do that for the blooper reel.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Umandsf

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2008, 07:29:05 PM »
El Cheapo: wins!

Rich's flub: wins!

Fried chicken: rather silly, but I found myself laughing at it's ridiculousness. Just don't do it too much or I'll grow old of it.

Offline FredtheOne26

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2008, 07:49:12 PM »
I enjoy the fried chickens :) it was great !!! Very pleasant to watch the price is right at work when I do the inventory of my restaurant :)
The Positive guy ! I hate negativity

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2008, 08:33:31 PM »
What can we do to save this show? Today's episode was the worst thing I have ever seen. I used to really like Drew, now I can't stand him. We can't just sit around and watch this great show die. ...

I DVR's today's show like I always try to do (Tuesday) but was so disgusted by the events of the Showcases in Monday's show, that now when I watch it's like, "Please can we have a show without something so stupid as to be repulsive?"  If Monday's Showcases are any indication of what's to come, I may stop watching altogether unless the quality of the Showcase writing improves.  Roger needs to be reinstated big time!

Joe
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 04:48:47 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
I have learned that they have removed several rows of seats from the audience.  This will no longer allow 325(ish) people in the studio.  There has been trouble obtaining audiences.

The official # from CBS G.R. when I called today is 315.

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2008, 03:24:36 AM »
As soon as I finished watching this episode, I knew there would be several pages on the recap thread....

Opening:  Wow, the light border is gone that quickly. 8-O  I thought it'd be a while before that happened.  After being used to seeing the border at the top of the show for so long, the opening seems naked without it.  It wasn't bad, just weird.

OB#1:  I like the new outer shell on the clam, but the inside is a bit busy with the lights and such.

OWP:  I've never seen a multi-prize game where the price matters offer just one trip before, except 2 For 1 (which works well for that).  That was awkward.  I thought for sure that would be the evil setup that tricked Michael until I saw the skin cream with the fake over $2000.  Well, I would've won, but that skin cream duped him.

Calldown #2:  Drew asks for an IUFB, and Rich segues beautifully through the flub.  As Elaine came down, I noticed the curtains around the missing chairs on the right side of the audience...played it back just to make sure.

Money Game:  Elaine made very short work of the game today, quickly picking from the "first half" numbers and then going straight to El Cheapo.  A LFAT perhaps?  I wonder why Bart didn't get a closeup of the first number as it was revealed.  And speaking of reveals, Drew didn't seem very enthused about this game today.

Calldown #3:  Twice in a row, Drew?  Seriously?

The green screen finally makes its appearance.  Honestly, it didn't look bad at all--at least for me as a home viewer watching on the net.  The reaction from Zeke as the in-studio contestant...exactly what we were afraid of.  :roll:

Shell Game:  Yay for Shelly!!  Those SP's were really interesting today (and all electronic gadgets, too) with the rollaway alarm clock making me chuckle.  Drew really botched what could have been an exciting reveal here.  With a slight delay in hearing the *ding* sound effect, methinks the crew thought Drew would handle that differently.

CoG:  So much for this game's winning streak...back to its old ways.  I still don't see how contestants can see two possible prices, one ending with "95", and not choose it.   :roll:

The studio audience shot after this game was kinda nice.  It made me think fondly of the old mid-show bumper and how much I miss it.

OB#5:  Rich mixes up his copy again!  Although this time, it just seemed kinda weird and not as fun as the one last season.  Staged?...I don't think so, but I unfortunately wouldn't discount the possibility.

Line 'Em Up:  What a heartbreaking loss.  I'd have been down to last number on the first try, and won on the second.

Pick A Pair:  Tony goes for the obvious pair and wins it.  The show uses Campbell's Soup as a GP occasionally, but this is the first time in recent memory that I can recall it being used as a fee plug from the company.

The audience shots after 5th & 6th games didn't seem necessary.  Granted, that's time that we probably would've seen Drew and the contestant talking onstage anyway, but I'd rather see that time reallocated elsewhere.

Showcases:  At least Stan is using music cues other than the MDS sting to start this segment.  I still haven't heard one that I think fits though.  (Although I'd rather this little bit were scrapped altogether...)

Showcase #1:  I, too, thought a reference would be made to Fingers Greco.  I also thought that Drew would have another random response for each of Rich's questions.  This could have been put together so much better, as has already been stated, but I didn't think it was overly bad.  At least Rich eating chicken at the end closed-out the theme in the wrap-up.  However, the continued references to fried chicken after the skit was done were clearly unnecessary.

Showcase #2:  This one was just abysmal.  :-(  I thought there would be a theme wrapped around snow- or winter-related prizes. The line about "fake snow" made me chuckle.  But then it turned to a satire on missing out on the first/"better" showcase.  That wasn't called for at all...

Showcase Reveal:  I will give Drew credit in that his showcase reveals have somewhat improved over last season.

This show was just plain weird.  Many flubs, too many changes, and I'm really starting to lose faith that the showcase writer(s) will ever return to any semblance of the classic showcase narrative formula.  I've tried to stay optimistic through all this, but today's show was the first time that I've ever seriously doubted the future of the show...  As a LFAT, it pains me to say that.
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2008, 03:24:49 PM »

The audience shots after 5th & 6th games didn't seem necessary.  Granted, that's time that we probably would've seen Drew and the contestant talking onstage anyway, but I'd rather see that time reallocated elsewhere.

You know, in a sense the show is going back to how it once was with this. I say that because, years ago they used to do this same thing after some games if you look back.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2008, 03:38:26 PM »
The official # from CBS G.R. when I called today is 315.
Whoohoo!  My chances of getting called if I ever make it back to the studio just went up by 0.0879%! 

Best news I've heard all day, I tell you what.

All i was thinking and saying is that you hope that someone would have before the showcase or after apologized for the showcase...
Had it been two white fianlsts...
Keep in mind that the Showcases are written without any regard to who will actually be competing for them.  They had no way of knowing who would be there.  This also explains why SC2 came off as incredibly awkward as it did...that line they took only even begins to work if the Top Winner passed the first showcase.

Yeah...I came up with about eight different things I hated about today's show, most of which I won't mention right now because I don't have all day.  But I'll say this much...what the #*$&*& is the point of a Model Search if we don't get to know anything about the models outside of where they're from and what they look like?  Did the producers forget this quickly that they can, in fact, talk?
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2008, 09:15:20 PM »
Well, remember, Army -- if the shows were airing in order, they wouldn't have started talking until next week. :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:34:42 PM by Joe_Capitano »
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2008, 12:31:34 AM »
Opening-Well, the light box is gone.  As someone who watches the show in SD, I didn't really mind the edges of the light border being cut off (if that was even one of the reasons for discontinuing it).  Now, the opening feels naked without it.  Also, seeing the lightbox in years past always made me feel that the show is a "party."  Today, it lost some of that party feeling.

One Wrong Price-The perfume was way too expensive to be right.

Money Game-Yay, El Cheapo was the correct choice!

Shell Game-Wow, that reveal was horrible.  With only one shell unchipped, I expected Drew to build up by revealing the chipped shells first.  Revealing the unchipped shell first, especially without saying anything, just felt really awkward and looked really weird.

One-Bid #5-This "blooper" didn't seem as real as last year's piano one.  What with Rich's seemingly unrealistic tone and the almost immediate cut to Drew laughing it up, it looked like it was staged, at least to me anyway.  I would have believed it to be real if the stereo system was the prize in the game coming up, but to be so far ahead in the script made it seem planned.

Pick-a-Pair-One of the easiest setups I've ever seen.

Showcases-Wow, cars in both!  I've been waiting to see what people have meant by fried chicken.  I personally thought Drew's responses of fried chicken were funny during showcase #1.  However, when he kept doing it after that showcase, I felt that was going too far, especially going into commercial.  The presentation of the car in that showcase was awkward also, especially with the noticable pause between Rich speaking and "fried chicken."

Wow, I haven't been to KFC in awhile; I might go there sometime next week. :D
All Hail Sinfonia!