Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/24/2008  (Read 28364 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/24/2008
« on: October 24, 2008, 02:35:15 PM »
The Price is Right - Oct. 24, 2008
Production #4475K - Taped Oct. 8, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: mixed
Handoff: Ekima

Models of the Day: Lanisha Cole, Rachel Reynolds and Brandi Sherwood
Guest Model of the Day: Ekima White
Wearing: Attitudes

1   Honda CMX250 Rebel Motorcycle (B)
4-BELINDA 7795 2-MARIVIC 1400 1-ANTHONY 2000 3-SCOTT *3100 ($3399)

Scott plays LET EM ROLL for a Ford F-150 (Std., V6, PLocks, RKE, Tilt, Console, AC)(R)($19,120)

Hot Pockets (2 pk)$2.49
Ester C Supplement (90)HIGHER9.99*
Campbell's Cream of Mushroom (15 oz)LOWER1.29*

THE ROLLS...

1.0 Cars & $5500Banks 0
2.2 Cars & $1500Banks 2
3.2 Cars & $500LOSS

Scott's jumping around like he's on his sixth espresso, but let's be real. Turning away $5500 turned out to be as bad a decision as the one that guy made two nights ago on DOND.

2   Jewelry Impressions White Gold/Diamond Necklance (E-in the Row)
+Belinda 2100 +Marivic 1400 +Anthony 1500 DARREN (OS) *1200 ($1245)

Darren from someplace in town plays SAFE CRACKERS for a trip to Nashville (Southwest; 6n @ Opryland)(R) and 2 Digital Cameras (L)($7658)

Numbers:0 7 8
Setting:7 8 0   OPEN   WIN!

Drew forgot to have Darren open ze safe. Oops. As the segment ended, he was apoligizing and holding his tie like a hangman's noose. Well, at least he was honest.

3   Pulaski Bravo Executive Desk (L)
+Belinda 2700 +Marivic *1600 +Anthony 1 SARA 2500 ($2399)

Marivic goes to a SWAP MEET

Justex Acropolis GMT Men's Watch (B)$750
(1) Oneida Frost Flatware750WIN!
(2) Horizon T83 Motorized Treadmill1299(Not Revealed)
(3) Lob-ster Elite Tennis Ball Machine1049(Not Revealed)

SHOWDOWN #1
$3,899Scott80 stay.80Through to Showcase Round
6,247Marivic10 + 40.50
8,903Darren40 + 75OV

4   2 Bronze Patio Heaters (R)
+Belinda *500 ROLAND 260 +Anthony 1500 Sara 600 ($518)

Belinda plays THAT'S TOO MUCH! for a Chevy Malibu Hybrid (Std., 2.4l, AT, Lights, PS)(B)($24,290)

$23,891 $25,120 $26,899 $28,020
LOSS

Two words that describe today's setup are as follows, and I quote: 1. "FORCED", 2. "LOSS".

5   highbrowfurniture.com Nelson Sunflower Clock (B)
ALLISON 500 Roland 400 +Anthony *501 Sara 300 ($1015)

Anthony plays MOST EXPENSIVE

Westley Allen Montan Day Bed/Loving Care Formfit (L)$1329
Jimmy Choo Women's Designer Shoes/Handbag (E)2580
Golden West Billiard Table (R)PICK3595WIN!

6   7 Paricon Sleds/Toboggans (L)
Allison 2000
Roland 1500
SHERRI 925
Sara 1000
OVERBID
($580)

Sherri plays RANGE GAME for a Pontiac G6 (Std., AirBag, Stereo, AC, Tilt, Alarm, OnStar, Start)(B&R)

Scale:$20,700-$21,300
Range:$20,889-$21,039
Price:$21,090   LOSS

SHOWDOWN #2
$518Belinda50 + 40.90Through to Showcase Round
580Sherri45 + 75OV
8,519Anthony35 + 20.55

SHOWCASE ROUND
Scott has the honor.

SC1-Scott (Samsung) 46" LCD HDTV (B)
(LG) Washer/Dryer (L)
Blue Water 19.7' Ski Boat (R)
BID$29,280
PRICE33,521
DIFF–4,241
TOTAL$37,420
SC2-Belinda Papa John's Pizza (52 pies - and a slice for the Peanut Gallery)(L)
Broyhill Affinity Dining Group (L)
Noritake Aria Dinnerware/Paris Stemware (R)
Beachcomber Hot Tub (E)
BID$19,000
PRICE18,554
DIFFOVER

Today's Pricing Games: 3 for 6
Total Winnings: $62,187

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

Offline allnewtpir

• In Contestant's Row
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/24/2008
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 02:38:29 PM »
First reply for any of these recaps. Without straying into the line of fire, I thought the Safe Crackers blooper was very funny, and at least Drew owned up to his goof.

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 02:42:41 PM »
First reply for any of these recaps. Without straying into the line of fire, I thought the Safe Crackers blooper was very funny, and at least Drew owned up to his goof.

I was hoping I wasn't the only one here who's not mad at Drew for his little Safe Crackers mistake (forgetting to tell Darren he had to open the safe to see if he won). Oh, and on a side note, it looks like I just celebrated my 700th post!

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 03:20:07 PM »
You know, today's show was probably the best show in the last 2 weeks. Minus a couple of small issues I had, it was pretty good.

Let 'Em Roll first!! That was surprising. I really expected Temptation or Card Game, until the camera's shot was of the green doors. Too bad Drew didn't come out of the audience. Maybe we'll have more oddball games get played first.

Range Game being played for a car was a surprise to me. I thought Secret X would be last.

Ok, I know some are going to crucify Drew for not having Darren open the safe. At least Drew admitted he screwed up. The whole situation was actually kinda funny. As long as he doesn't do it all the time, it's OK with me.

I knew I liked Ekima the moment I saw her. But I thought the point of this model search was to have them actually model stuff. Ekima was hardly on. She could have modeled the car in Range Game and definitely could have modeled one of the prizes in Swap Meet just like the old days when Holly, Dian, and Kathleen did them.

Speaking of Swap Meet, is the move of the first prize closer to Door #2 new, or was it that way last time it was played? I don't remember.

That's Too Much was pathetic. Not because of Belinda, but because the price was soooo close to the first price. Seemed like a forced loss, to me.

The showcases were actually pretty good today, for a change. I still see no point in showing Rich constantly, but in the first showcase it really worked. The second showcase was cool. I expect more food being brought in during future showcases, but where are the donuts? Just please, NO fried chicken.

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 03:23:14 PM »
Is it just me, or has Pocket Change had a long hiatus (probably a longer one than Plinko)?

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 03:25:39 PM »
When I heard Rich mention the price of the car in PG#1 I thought it was going to be Hole in One first.

I laughed at how Drew handled his mistake in Safe Crackers

Overall, pretty good show today, with a nice PG lineup.

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 03:30:03 PM »
So, the one time everybody before me actually forgives Drew, is the day I disagree!?  Go figure!

I thought Drew's handling of Safe Crackers was horrible.  A host might forget where the second punch in Punch-A-Bunch was, but how can you forget the most essential part of Safe Crackers?  You have to open the safe, Drew!  Besides, his reaction/response could have been a bit more professional.

Working full-time, I never get to watch the show on TV, but I always catch it on Innertube.  Lucky for me, I had the day off, so I had planned to watch it on TV.  But, for the first time in my life, I voluntarily quit watching the show (when Swap Meet came on).  I hope that someone realizes this "new direction" isn't going anywhere good.

Offline Pushover72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 03:31:12 PM »

I thought the point of this model search was to have them actually model stuff. Ekima was hardly on. She could have modeled the car in Range Game and definitely could have modeled one of the prizes in Swap Meet just like the old days when Holly, Dian, and Kathleen did them.

I felt the same way.  I think the producers didn't make enough of the model search...it almost flew under the radar.  And I'm sure they did it for publicity!!  However, the whole thing wasn't built up.  They should have had the guest models do far more than they did and emphasized the contest more during the show.

I won't put the blame on Drew for this one (he didn't really seem into it that much)...it was probably a Syd and Mikey idea and production.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 03:32:11 PM »
"Jack Ocean invented the ocean" is waaaay too corny for me, and SC1 overall was too similar to yesterday's for my liking. Why does the Peanut Gallery get a slice, they're wrong more often than right! Nice to see a triple car day...but with an extra car comes tough, tough setups. TTHARD goes record-setting distance (I doubt we'll ever see the right price first), and Rangey, admittedly, was over 2/3s of the scale (BTW, someone screwed up - Drew for saying the game or Bart for missing the game).

I didn't mind Safey this time. Other games he continually is having more trouble and that qualified as a blooper after the segment was done with.

B
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 03:37:50 PM »
A host might forget where the second punch in Punch-A-Bunch was, but how can you forget the most essential part of Safe Crackers?

I think a simple solution would be for Drew to not get the envelope unless the contestant loses. If the safe opens, we know the contestant has the correct combination, and there's no need to look in the envelope at that point. I know, a certain other host used to do it that way, but I don't recall him ever forgetting to open the safe.  :P

I dunno, I think forgetting to have the contestant open the safe is kind of like going to play basketball and not bringing your basketball. However, I'm sure that's happened to someone at some point too. At least Drew found some humor in his mistake and didn't say "Please don't change the channel."

Online C8

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 03:38:55 PM »
I'm surprised no one has mention's Drew's really awful hosting of Let 'Em Roll. I was cringing when he was laughing at the differences between prices of the grocery items. Yes, I know we all think it (and it was designed that way), but c'mon, you don't insult the game like that.

I didn't see the Safe Cracker's blunder as funny since I don't really see how he brought any enthusiasm to the party in the first place. His reveal lacked excitement and that's where the opening of the safe could have corrected that, but it being gone just totally ruined it for me.

And what was up with That's too Much today? The correct choice being the second one? WTF?! That was set up for the losses of all losses (although I could tell that since the prices started VERY high the choice would be toward the beginning).

OB 5 was bizarre. The stilted dialogue between Rich and Drew before the one bids is cringe worthy and just ruins the flow of the show.

I liked the first showcase theme *a lot*--with Rich's script getting lost--but Rachel acting like an idiot and referring to Jack Ocean--wow. That just RUINED it. Rachel is not that dumb and don't make her act like it! Not to mention her lines weren't funny to begin with.

Not a bad show (despite what I've said--I agree, its probably the best this week but that's not saying much), but not so great either.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 03:51:11 PM »
Well gang:

• At least Drew has the ability to laugh at himself for his own mistakes. Even if this were a large, large goof, he admitted he is human. BTW — shouldn't a stagehand or someone shout off-camera, "Hey, have the contestant open the safe?!" Even if you have to re-stage it and have the contestant attempt to open the safe — and it doesn't quite capture the excitement of the initial reveal — do that. At least you can cover up the blunder and, with good editing, make it appear that it never happened.

• We are through what various editors on here have dubbed the "Worst Week in Price History." Despite whether you agree or disagree with the commentary on this week's shows, have a good weekend and let's go into next week with the attitude that it can only get better (even if you disagree).

Now, if only our stock traders had the same attitude as I do ...

Brian

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 03:53:15 PM »
Model Search:  All the Model Search Finalists were pretty, and I thought they did a good job.  It's going to be hard to pick just one, but I'm leaning towards Ekima.
Let Em Roll:  Give up $5,500?  ARE YOU NUTS, SCOTT!?!? 8-O  I realize that the car was worth more, but I still think he's nuts for giving up that much money!
Safe Crackers:  Good job! :-)  Drew sorta forgot to let Darren open the safe, but hey, everybody makes mistakes, and at least Drew admitted that he made a mistake.
Swap Meet:  Nice! :-)
That's Too Much (which should be retired):  Talk about a cruel setup!  Today's setup had loss written all over it!
Most Expensive:  I've gotta admit I was a little unsure about whether Anthony was going to win when I saw the price of the handbag/shoes, but it turned out the pool table was the most expensive of the three prizes.  Nice job! :-)
Range Game:  Third game played for a car - cool! :-)  Too bad it wasn't won. :-(
Showcases:  I've got a few things to say here:  1) That was nice that everyone in the audience got a slice of Papa John's pizza. :-)  I've had their pizza before and it's really good.  

...it felt wrong not to have any pizza up on the Turntable for the contestants.
Drew said that he had a slice during the break, so maybe the contestants had a slice during the break too.

2) They should have all the rooms set up like they had the dining room set up in showcase 2.  And finally, 3) Nice to hear the models talking again.

I'll go with pretty good for this show.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 04:02:44 PM by Cartboy »
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 03:55:27 PM »
Um...what the...Let 'em Roll first?!  That was interesting...and yet somehow, it strikes me as wrong.  That doesn't seem like something Roger would ever have done on the daytime show.  John, do we know if this lineup was shuffled around?

Speaking of Let 'em Roll...Drew, don't make fun of the groceries, and don't make fun of the rules.  Just host the darn game.

The end of Safe Crackers was one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen on the show.  How the heck do you forget to have the contestant who's playing a game called "Safe Crackers" try to open the giant safe that he's just spent 45 seconds fiddling with?!

Did it seem wrong to anyone else to have the standalone prize in Swap Meet be a watch?

That's Too Much! was just mean.  There is no way Roger would ever have set it up that way.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say he'd have considered it cheating.  It's not like That's Too Much! is even a hard game to get a loss in -- if they need it not be be won, there are much fairer ways to go about it.

"As you can see, the range on the Range Game"...well, Drew, no, we actually can't, because Bart didn't get the board in the dang shot.

The first showcase was kind of an alright idea, although Brandi's spiel was way too long.  Actually, if all three speeches had been like Rachel's -- Rich loses his copy, so the Beauties are put on the spot and can't think of anything sensible -- it could have been pretty funny.

There was something that rubbed me the wrong way about the second showcase.  Giving everybody free pizza is nice, but...I dunno.  It seemed like it was taking attention away from the showcase itself, and it felt wrong not to have any pizza up on the Turntable for the contestants.

You know...I don't know a darn thing about any of the guest models this week.  Drew's antics overshadowed them.  Is there a way to cast a write-in vote for Janice?

Ok, I know some are going to crucify Drew for not having Darren open the safe. At least Drew admitted he screwed up. The whole situation was actually kinda funny. As long as he doesn't do it all the time, it's OK with me.

He is doing it all the time!  In 25 shows, he's already screwed up Cover Up (twice), Bullseye, and Safe Crackers.  That's more mistakes of that sort than Bob would make in a whole season!

Is it just me, or has Pocket Change had a long hiatus (probably a longer one than Plinko)?

It was probably on one of the purple wheel episodes.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline KingOfTheHill

• In the Audience
  • "I tell you what!"
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 03:56:21 PM »
I read a while back that one Showcase required an almost 45-minute stopdown, was today's Papa John's tie-in it?
"How now, gas man!"
-King of the Hill

MIKE JUDGE RULES!!!