Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/27/2008  (Read 20251 times)

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/27/2008
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2008, 02:50:48 AM »
Quick Comments:

Nice to (temporarily) have the light border back.

Drew's hosting was pretty good today, except for that missed opportunity during the final Bonus Game prize.  I loved his comment when Angel tried to put the ball one line further than she was supposed to....it was almost Barkeresque.

Lucky 7 in the six-spot, and with a great win!  That setup was not friendly, and Whitney beat it with three bucks to spare.  That'd be a Dobstopper--if the Dob were still there...

Showcase #1 wasn't all that bad (FAR superior to the "Fried Chicken" debacle of last week).  Still could have used a bit less of Drew, though.

Showcase #2: Rich talking about the coffee as something he needs but the everything else was something presented to the contestant...that kind of inconsistency in presentation is annoying.  Great jib cam shot of Whitney through the roof of the Smart Car during the ending though (and very necessary in order to keep a camera on her during the credits, as all her friends really crowded around her on stage).
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2008, 09:16:26 AM »
Looking at Nick's post about recommendations and suggestions Drew should follow in hosting future editions of TPiR, I'm not sure if he'd construe it as constructive criticism or take it as ... well, something that would cause him to have a nervous breakdown.

Nervous breakdown... don't even go there.  That's too funny of an inside joke to me.

I'm getting this growing sense that some posters believe Drew wants to incorporate inane comedy, and that given the chance he would repeat the words "fried chicken" ad naseum non-stop for the whole hour and hope that the audience would be ROTFL as time goes by in the "act." I'd certainly agree that if that's the case, with Nick's post in mind, he'd resign as host and allow CBS to hire someone else.

No, if he could have that, then he'd stay right where he is, because that's what hosting The Price Is Right is all about to Drew Carey.

I don't know. I've never had an all-negative job review in my life, or any memo that even resembles something that negative (sorry Nick, I don't know how else to say it). I don't know if anyone else on here has. I'm just glad I'm not Drew reading this

The thing is mine or anybody else's remarks about the many negative points of Drew's hosting should not be regarded as a "negative review."  These are problems he's exhibited repeatedly and despite numerous remarks here, he still refuses to correct his bad behaviour.

BTW — If the setups of the room prize packages are that bad, then it is a directorial and stage manager problem, and not something that Drew necessarily has control over. Direct all problems to them.

That's not necessarily the case.  I believe I read somewhere here that Drew was the one responsible for the green screens, not Bart.

Also, if Drew apparently thinks those small prizes are that bad, I'd wonder what he'd say if he were hosting a show like "Concentration," where small prizes were the norm? I get the growing sense here, too, that he thinks that a prize has to be worth a certain dollar amount to be worth anything.

Yes, Drew has this notion that everybody coming to The Price Is Right is greedy to win big prizes and isn't satisfied winning just a few small prizes or nothing at all.  Drew himself may only be interested in big prizes, but he needs to understand that being a contestant on The Price Is Right, or really any game show, is more about the experience--having a fun, good time playing a great game--than winning prizes.  That's how shows like What's my Line? were so successful for many years.  It's not about the prizes.  Sure, the prizes are great, and they're a nice reward for playing a game well; but it's like the old board game mentality.  Who plays a board game with friends and gets all sore if they don't win?  Only sore losers.  Any real player plays to win but has fun either way whether they win or lose.

Nick said:
I think you meant to say, "Yes, not only did it not make for a good script, it didn't make for good television period" — unless I'm grossly misunderstanding you, to which I would then apologize.

You got it right.  That's what I meant to say.  Man, I really wish we could still edit posts at any time.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2008, 10:49:41 AM »
Quote from: Nick
The thing is mine or anybody else's remarks about the many negative points of Drew's hosting should not be regarded as a "negative review."  These are problems he's exhibited repeatedly and despite numerous remarks here, he still refuses to correct his bad behaviour.

I don't dispute that. It's just that some people are so sensitive to the slightest criticism that even constructive or legitimate critiques are regarded as cruel and mean-spirited. If that's how Drew sees comments on this board critiquing his hosting style, etc., that's his problem.

Quote from: Nick
No, if he could have that, then he'd stay right where he is, because that's what hosting The Price Is Right is all about to Drew Carey.

If Drew regards TPiR as a slapstick comedy fest, then I agree — he's come to the wrong ballpark. As I've said in earlier posts, there's nothing wrong with good comedy (and even then, to a point) in showcases. But they need to be done coherently. If you want to do word association, which seems to be the theme of some of the recent showcases, do a salute to "Password" and write connections that make sense (and if that one is done, no "doe" "knob" joke, please).

Brian
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 03:11:21 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline ThereseW

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2008, 11:02:15 AM »
A Smart Car!   Coime on Price Is Right!  Give away a real car!   How awful it would be to go and be a contestant and get offered a little car like that.  I don't care if there is a waiting list.  This is a gameshow and can do better than a tiny car like that.  It couldn't be because of cost.  I believe smart cars are not cheap.

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2008, 02:45:04 PM »
I didn't mind seeing a Smart Car. I'd rather win a Smart Car then a showcase with a living room and a piano. If it was a Pricing Game prize, I MIGHT be a bit disappointed, but it was a showcase prize. The contestant even said that her step dad wanted a Smart Car, so she wasn't disappointed.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 03:11:48 PM by Joe_Capitano »
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2008, 02:47:54 PM »
They might be "cute," but I don't know how anything that is between the size of a roller skate and a Ford Festiva isn't considered a death trap.

Lots of advances were made in automotive safety since the Ford Festiva left the market in 1993.  The Smart is safer than a Festiva because it has a roll cage built into its body, has front and side airbags, and if there's an accident involved, the Smart actually activates the crumple zones of the other vehicle(s) involved and the steering column collapses away from the driver, the seat belts also are designed to control the restraint on the occupants so that they don't get hurt, but are protected at the same time.  The Festiva had none of those features and is more of a death trap than a Smart.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 02:51:49 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."