Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/24/2008  (Read 28345 times)

Offline BVanceVR

• In the Audience
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/24/2008
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2008, 01:08:43 AM »
Quote from: SteveGavazzi
After he's screwed up a pricing game for the fourth time in 25 shows...maybe some of us just don't feel like forgiving him anymore.

I think we should start to worry when he screws up a game like Double Prices!   :oldlol:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 02:43:50 AM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2008, 01:16:37 AM »
After seeing him forget to have a contestant open the giant safe they were standing in front of, I'm not entirely convinced that won't happen.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 02:44:10 AM by Joe_Capitano »
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline plinkowin2010

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2008, 02:00:59 AM »
Are they going to go back to having four models on the show or still just have three?

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2008, 02:44:59 AM »
No. Three from a pool of approximately nine, until further notice - though, whomever wins this silly "model search" will probably share the stage with three of the regulars when she returns in a couple of weeks (airing in January).

Now, can we please stop looking for new bodies?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 02:48:10 AM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2008, 03:53:39 AM »
With regard to the post above, what is TVC?  (This was about the comment about the pizza being a marketing ploy.)

Joe

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2008, 09:27:22 AM »
Now that they mentioned the Papa John's pizza, I now wish I was there for that. At least it's not fried chicken! :-)

It's going to be hard choosing a new model, and I don't even know who to go with. I like the regular rotation as is, and whoever gets added will have a tough act to follow. Then again, every model that came after Janice, Dian, Holly and, to a lesser extent, Anitra has always had a tough act to follow, but each has held her own.

As for the rest of the show, that Safe Crackers screwup was another one of Drew's that didn't have to happen, That's Too Much! was just downright evil, and the end is typical Price: one contestant winning because the other one went over. Well, I suppose things can get worse, but let's hope that the next few weeks aren't so. To those who think that this is the worst week ever inhistory, I have just two words for you: "Fried Chicken." As much as I like it, it really has no business on the show.

Offline PaladinTornado

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2008, 10:29:00 AM »
With regard to the post above, what is TVC?  (This was about the comment about the pizza being a marketing ploy.)

Joe

Television City

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2008, 10:40:13 AM »
Spare me the "live on tape" arguments. This is a professional product, not an amateurishly produced show created and produced by college and/or high school students... Next time Drew or somebody screws up like that, stop the tape if you have to and reproduce it. Take pride in your product and get it right!

The problem is that it costs money, and the show's already spending more on studio time than it used to since tapings are taking longer.  There's only so much money they have to spend, so getting everything right the first time really helps.

Game shows have always had a history of being done in one take with limited stopdowns, being produced in almost real time.  Somebody threw out that rule, and they really shouldn't have because quality doesn't come from the product looking as if it was taped perfectly.  It comes from being taped as close to real time as possible without mistakes.  Then you get the feeling as if you are right there in the studio as it is all happening right before you.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline jhuhn

• In the Audience
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2008, 11:31:16 AM »
If Let 'Em Roll was played first, shouldn't Drew be entering through the audience, I mean the pricing game would've obstructed his stage entrance, unless they have the show's fastest stage crew to set up the game during the first item up for bids.

Offline Drewfan2008

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2008, 01:53:08 PM »
I don't care if Drew tried to make his mistake of blowing the Safe Cracker's reveal funny.  That was a mistake he should not have made.  Period.  It's not even excusable because if he had his focus on the contestant, his mind would not have been wandering to make him thing about ending the game already.
I have to address this. Does anyone ever come on a message board and make a big deal out of Chuck Woolery when he makes a mistake on Lingo. He has made several mistakes on all of his shows, but he does what Drew did. Laugh it off and make fun of yourself. And Chuck is a legend because of this. He was a great host and there will be a special place for him in Game Show Heaven, but just because he makes mistakes does not mean he is a bad host.

Some of you people act like Bob never made a mistake in his last few years hosting. You act like he was perfect. Host's make mistakes, and the best thing for them to do is to laugh it off. Look in the camera and admit you made a mistake. It's what makes them real people. Their not actors on comedy show. They are Game Show hosts on Game Shows. That's what some people here need to grasp.

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2008, 02:20:03 PM »
A mistake might mean forgetting to ask for a contestant instead of the next onebid, not recalling the new rule change in Check Game, forgetting that One Right Price has two prizes instead of three. 

I don't understand how you can forget to open the safe in Safe Crackers... unless you're just not that into hosting the show.  That isn't something obscure to know, that is the basic element of Safe Crackers!  I've never hosted a TV show, so I can't speak from experience, but Drew has got to get with the program (so to speak!).

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2008, 02:29:07 PM »
Chuck never insulted his own show while in the middle of hosting it, either.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2008, 02:31:05 PM »
Nick said:
The problem is that it costs money, and the show's already spending more on studio time than it used to since tapings are taking longer.  There's only so much money they have to spend, so getting everything right the first time really helps.

Game shows have always had a history of being done in one take with limited stopdowns, being produced in almost real time.  Somebody threw out that rule, and they really shouldn't have because quality doesn't come from the product looking as if it was taped perfectly.  It comes from being taped as close to real time as possible without mistakes.  Then you get the feeling as if you are right there in the studio as it is all happening right before you.

To a point, I agree. Of course you want to get it right the first time and have a "live, as you are there" feeling. As I see it, it is the job of both the producer and director to make sure everyone, from Drew on down to the last guy on the ladder, understands this needs to be the finished product. Perhaps a staff meeting and a friendly reminder from Syd and Fingers, et al., would do the trick.

Still, I'd think you want to take pride in your finished product and make sure those glaring mistakes (i.e., in this case, the blown Safe Crackers reveal) don't show up in the finished product. I'd have rather spent a few hundred bucks on taping day on a stopdown and get it right than have the finished product air as it did and have everyone on here angry at what they saw, and risk alienating and/or losing viewers who are concerned about the apparent increased frequency of Mr. Carey's gaffes.

Then, after the taping is done, it is everyone's job (Drew and everyone else) to make sure something such as the blown Safe Crackers reveal never happens again.

SteveGavazzi said:
After he's screwed up a pricing game for the fourth time in 25 shows...maybe some of us just don't feel like forgiving him anymore.

Then perhaps Fingers or Syd should have taken Drew aside the first time and counseled him on his mistake. While Drew should take some of the blame for his mistakes, the director should share some responsibility.

Brian

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2008, 02:49:34 PM »
Roll: FIRST??!!! :-o :-o :-o :-o 1st time in daytime!!! The pricing portion is what hels make the game work, Drew. QUIT BASHING IT!!! Scott, Taking the $5500 would've been the wise thing. I would've done it and now you have to settle for a meagher $500.

Safe: For once, Drew admits a mistake!!! Good win, though.

Swap: Good win.

TTM: EVIL with a BIG E!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Most The "Shoes and Handbag on Steroids" didn't get me. Went with Pool Table, too. Good job.  :-)

Range: I probably would've stopped it between $20,935-$21,085...OUCH!!!! :oops: :-( Too bad.

Showcases: The one thing I disliked about showcase #1 was dumbing Rachel. Rachel is a very respectable and sweet woman. How dare those writers (and/or/just Drew) even think about makling her look stupid?  :roll: :evil: I would expect that on Dian but not Rachel. :-P Pizza in the second showcase looked like a good treat, But it looked also a bit convoluted (Heck, I never even had any Papa John's in my life). I don't know if it's just another attempt at winning the audience or just a nice thing. Who knows?

A 2.75-star show.

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2008, 02:53:54 PM »
Chuck never insulted his own show while in the middle of hosting it, either.

...Maybe I'm wrong here, but on the 3/23/1990 Finale of Scrabble, Chuck quipped two things which may be considered insulting his show -

1) "You know...maybe it's ME that's cancelled and the show's all right!" (said before paying a cash bonus to a contestant)
2) "I kept telling them, "Look, find somebody else to do it" - look what happened to WHEEL!" (said just after the above, once he got back to his podium)

...Okay, so that was him making fun of himself...I think. ANYWAY!

Showcases: The one thing I disliked about showcase #1 was dumbing Rachel. Rachel is a very respectable and sweet woman. How dare those writers (and/or/just Drew) even think about making her look stupid?  :roll: :evil: I would expect that on Dian but not Rachel. :-P

I think the "dumbing" was more used for HOLLY, not Dian. After all, most of the time Dian was placed in outfits that made the males go berserk (the "June Bride" on the Vanna White episode, for instance).

Also, could someone post a clip of that Safe Crackers playing? I missed it and want to see just how bad it was.
-Daniel
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.