Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/24/2008  (Read 28346 times)

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/24/2008
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2008, 03:05:41 PM »
Also, could someone post a clip of that Safe Crackers playing? I missed it and want to see just how bad it was.

Just type "Drew's mishap" into youtube and it will be the first result.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2008, 04:36:13 PM »
...Maybe I'm wrong here, but on the 3/23/1990 Finale of Scrabble, Chuck quipped two things which may be considered insulting his show -

The last "act" on the last NBC episode of The Gong Show was Chuck Barris singing "Take This Job and Shove It."

John

Offline Scott5114

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2008, 05:22:15 PM »
I'm not sure if you all noticed, but the theme of the showcase was that Rich had lost his copy so the models were using Wikipedia articles as substitutes. (Wikipedia confirmed that they were genuine articles.) I'm pretty sure that Rachel's 'article' was intended to be a parody of a vandalized article.

I don't know what's up with Drew wanting to skip the pricing portion of LER. If it had no pricing portion, it wouldn't be a pricing game, and would have no business being on TPIR. It'd just be Yahtzee.

I'll forgive Drew over the Safe Crackers thing, because he realized he made a mistake. He probably won't do that again.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2008, 05:36:26 PM »
Quote from: SteveGavazzi
Chuck never insulted his own show while in the middle of hosting it, either.

Ahem ...

CLICK HERE and scroll to the bottom

FWIW, nobody's trying to show you up, and perhaps you don't consider them insults. I'm just posting Mr. Mandel's opinion to give a different view.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 07:22:48 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2008, 06:29:35 PM »
Huh.  So I had a couple of minutes tonight, so I went onto CBS.com and watched the Showcases.

All I can say is that they did an excellent job ripping the text straight out of Wikipedia.  (Go to this article, and fire up the showcase.)
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2008, 09:01:43 PM »
Well they did acknowledge the definition came from Wikipedia.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2008, 09:14:40 PM »
Yes, but was Drew that uncreative with the writing that he had to take the text directly as it was written?  And Wikipedia of all possible internet sources?  Why not something with a bit more credibility?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 11:35:06 PM by Joe_Capitano »
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline FredtheOne26

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2008, 10:59:25 PM »
Next time, talk to Drew to have a source like you... you're the greatest man on earth ...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 11:35:27 PM by Joe_Capitano »
The Positive guy ! I hate negativity

Offline PriceForever

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2008, 11:30:02 PM »
Yes, but was Drew that uncreative with the writing that he had to take the text directly as it was written?  And Wikipedia of all possible internet sources?  Why not something with a bit more credibility?

Well, my theory is that Drew thought that merely the ACT of using Wikipedia was funny.

And the Jack Ocean joke...how awfully lame...does he really have the humor level of a 12-year old?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2008, 11:37:35 PM »
Next time, talk to Drew to have a source like you... you're the greatest man on earth ...

You know, dude, if you're gonna insult him (and you really shouldn't be), you could at least put enough effort into it for it not to make you sound ridiculous.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline sportsbrain09

• Outside in Line
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2008, 01:06:15 AM »
I wonder if there's going to be a running theme with the models this year. We had a showcase earlier this year where they were excited about the fact they could talk, which didn't amount to much.

This time around, they actually introduced the prizes, although I agree that Rachel's script was strange to say the least. Drew could do us a favor and knock off the stereotypes associated with blonds; Rachel attended LSU, after all. In any case, I hope we get to see some more model interaction throughout the season. I doubt we'll see anything reminiscent of Bob's chats with his marquis three because of time constraints, but it's nice to see more involvement.

I was surprised to see the entire audience get a slice of pizza. When is the last time the audience got a treat during a taping? I don't recall anything like that during the Barker era. My guess is the contestants had their share during the break.

I interpreted Drew's comments on "Yahtzee" as a joke on the glaring gap in the groceries' prices. You'd have to be a complete fool not to get them all right. I would've stopped with $5,500, but the contestant suffered from "Deal or No Deal Syndrome."

Drew admitting his Safe Crackers goof was funny. I had the cameras right at $780. On that note, I'd wish they'd liven up Safe Crackers and mess around with the price a bit instead of having the first two numbers one digit from each other. Maybe a number other than zero? I just don't find a lot of fun with the current setup.

I missed the car on Range Game, thinking it was cheaper than it actually was.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 01:08:18 AM by sportsbrain09 »

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2008, 01:34:20 AM »
Let 'em Roll-What an odd way to start the show.  I would've thought for sure this would've required an audience entrance.  As far as gameplay goes, that wasn't a very good move giving up $5500.  I would've bailed.

Safe Crackers-It genuinely looked like Drew forgot to let the contestant open the safe, just like last season when he forgot to make the contestant insert the credit card and Credit Card.  Somehow, I knew this was going to happen, too, since I saw Drew grab the envelope at the start of the game.

That's Too Much-That was a bit mean to put the stopping price so early.  I'm actually surprised Belinda didn't stop at the first price.  This makes me wonder if the new people will actually make the first price the stopping price.

Range Game-Woo, 3 car day!

Showcases-That was really nice to offer everyone in the audience a slice of pizza, but it looked a bit weird to not give the contestants in the showcase any.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2008, 06:31:12 AM »
Showcases-That was really nice to offer everyone in the audience a slice of pizza, but it looked a bit weird to not give the contestants in the showcase any.

Yet again proof that the contestants are the last thing on Drew's mimd.

And in response to every other mention above about certain people here calling Drew out on the Safe Crackers mistake is over the top on our part, understand that we KNOW Bob made mistakes over the years, and that no one is perfect.  The issue I think we have is that Drew seems to not care that he made the mistake.  The Shell Game snafu, the Safe Crackers snafu all point to the idea I have mentioned many many times.  Drew seems INDIFFERENT to the show in its entirety.  Tell me honestly you can't translate his "making fun" of his Safe Crackers blunder to "Oh well, S*** happens".

Also, I could care less what other host made what other mistake on what other game show.  Last time I checked this was the "Talk Is Right" forum where THIS show is discussed, so if you really want to start comparing Drew to other game show hosts you're gonna find yourself "drawing dead" to the river. 

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2008, 11:14:35 AM »
Last time I checked this was the "Talk Is Right" forum

No, it's not :-D

FWIW, I totally agree with you Willy on the handling on the Safe Crackers blunder.  It kind of surprised me that so many were so forgiving on that issue.  I have been rather accepting of what has been happening lately in 33, but this is one issue that immediately raised a red flag for me.

Offline RatGnawedCheez

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2008, 03:03:36 PM »
I have to address this. Does anyone ever come on a message board and make a big deal out of Chuck Woolery when he makes a mistake on Lingo. He has made several mistakes on all of his shows, but he does what Drew did.  ...

Touche.  The way Drew handled that mistake reminded me very much of how Chuck has handled his gaffes over the years.  And believe me, that's a good thing.  I will agree, though, that the way he handled Let 'Em Roll just wasn't right.

/let's re-crap the scores!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 06:20:15 PM by Joe_Capitano »