Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/28/2008  (Read 18039 times)

Offline SuperBall85

• In Contestant's Row
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/28/2008
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2008, 09:23:28 PM »
SuperBall85's Price Positives:

+ Cool to see Plinko so close to its previous playing after the "Great Plinko Drought" of Early October.
+ Karen was an awesome One Away contestant today, her pleas to the Sound Effects Lady were hilarious.
+ Woo! Check-Out--and for a car! I love Check-Out because its a purely price-skill-based game (although a strategy if you feel your over/under can be used too).
+ And Safe Crackers for a car too! And, with Drew not only having the correct reveal--but insisting on it!
+ The Showcases were fine today, and its always cool to see video arcade games as the prize! Karen certainly looked liked she was happy to get it.

Other Notes:

- Wow, I have to comment on that playing on Check-Out. I cringed when she guessed $6 for the Toaster Strudels. I thought she was going to make it up, but nope, not even close.
- Anyone notice the point where Catherine nearly came on stage? It wasn't shown (except that she wasn't there), and had a couple of cut-betweens.

Offline KingOfTheHill

• In the Audience
  • "I tell you what!"
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2008, 09:39:34 PM »
Did anyone else notice that Drew kept telling her to "dial in" the price?  Chalk one up for the "Carey"-isms board.

Also I could swear that when this game was won we'd hear the sound of the safe door opening when the contestant pulled it open.  Am I making that up?  if not, when did they stop doing it?
"How now, gas man!"
-King of the Hill

MIKE JUDGE RULES!!!

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2008, 09:51:08 PM »
Something similar happened the last time the game was played.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 12:14:01 AM by Joe_Capitano »
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2008, 09:59:08 PM »
Compared to last week's abominations, this show was pretty dang good.

I like how Drew acknowledged that over $10,000 was up for grabs in Barker's Bargain Bar.  I also kind of liked how he said that the trip to Savannah had to be more than $6,071 in order for Jeffrey to win, an interesting twist on the reveal.

I haven't watched last Thursday's show yet, but for the first time since I didn't watch the show on a frequent basis, I actually jumped for joy when I saw Plinko.

I do agree with Nick and hope that this little malfunction won't convince the staff to replace the one-bid displays with something like plasma screens.

It was such a shame that Karen lost One Away, she really put enthusiasm into asking the "almighty sound effects lady."

Wow, we only had one regular car game and two non car games each played for one!

I know Drew asked Jeremy to let go of the lever in Coming or Going, but I'm actually surprised that they let his guess stand since he could have easily moved the price to the "Coming" side.

Check-Out was sure exciting at the end.  I know it made for a rather painful loss to everyone, but it got so exciting when she was less than $2 away from one end of the win range after the fourth item.

I don't know why, but I felt that the cars offered in Check-Out and Safe Crackers should have been switched around since Check-Out was arguably more difficult than Safe Crackers today.

I swear when Rich said "A Safe Crackers prize package worth..." at that part of the Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour theme, it instantly reminded me of how Super Ball!! was announced.  Also, this was a pretty long playing of that cue, and it was great that they used it.

The first showcase had some theme to it, prizes being broken, but it all came apart at the convertible.

I loved it when Rich didn't go through a prize recap at the end of showcase #2.  I found it amusing to see Karen jump into her new arcade game, but found it odd that when everyone else was waving at the camera, Drew and someone from Karen's group were busy looking at the board games.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2008, 10:31:39 PM »
Barker's Bargain Bar:  Good job! :-)
Plinko:  It would've been nice if Ashley would've hit the $10,000 slot at least once.  She released her first two chips way too far right.
One Away:  What a tough loss! :-(  I figured Karen wasn't going to win when she changed the 8 to a 6, though, but she sure did a good job asking the "Mighty Sound Effects Lady" how many numbers she had right!
Coming or Going:  Nice! :-)  When I saw that Jeremy was playing for a brass bed, I thought for sure he was going to be playing Check Game.
Check Out:  Boy, I thought her total was going to be way higher than the actual total. :-o  I wonder if they had the right prices on the trash bags and the Cajun Injector.  They seemed awful high to me, but I've been known to be wrong before.
Safe Crackers:  Safe Crackers played 6th, for a car, and it was won - tres cool! :-D  And Drew remembered to let the contestant open the safe this time! :-)
Showcases:  Catherine sure pulled a :gotc:!  Her bid probably wasn't even the price of the Chrysler Sebring Convertable alone!

Pretty good show overall, IMHO.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 10:36:09 PM by Cartboy »
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2008, 10:43:14 PM »
First time I have (or maybe second at most) read the spoiler thread without seeing the show first.  I like to hear what kind of show we had, a characteristic that would never have crossed my mind during the Barker era.  Too bad that the characteristics of this good show, don't figure to stay around too long.

Joe

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2008, 11:11:26 PM »
I can be the same way at times. Sometimes I do it just so I can see what games were played before I watch the recording on my DVR.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2008, 11:12:50 PM »
There is no way that was a green screen.

Really? If I recall correctly, it was designed like the other green screens (the name of the locale plastered on the corner of the picture, "above" the picture/screen), and it seemed as though the model presenting it had a "halo" effect going on.

My memory could be fuzzy though and I only save 5 episodes at a time on the TiVo, so it's already gone.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:16:02 PM by mrbrown2195 »
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2008, 11:44:40 PM »
The exact same image was shown on it from two completely different camera angles.  It was definitely a skin.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 12:14:33 AM by Joe_Capitano »
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline TPIRSteven

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2008, 12:50:17 AM »
Barker's Bargain Bar:  This is almost always tough with two trips, but I usually say, "When in doubt, go for the one that has a lower bargain price."  It worked today.

Plinko:  Ashley had tough luck with the chips, but at least she didn't get any zeros.

One Away:  This was probably the easiest setup of the day, as $16,825 and $16,845 were the only two prices that made any sense.  Karen still managed to spoil it by changing the 8 to a 6.  She definitely earns one of these:
:headbang:

Coming or Going:  I was surprised to see this come up; I was almost confident Grocery Game would pop up here.  As for the playing, at least it wasn't a dead-giveaway $X,X95 setup.  Still, the $6,798 was screaming, "Pick me!"

Check Out:  Here's were our grocery item game comes in, and it's for a car!  Unfortunately, it was an evil setup with some tough prizes.  The trash bags and the marinade were more expensive than they looked, and the average contestant would never guess that the Gold Bond was $9.12 (even though we all know that it is).  I had the last two prices exactly right, but the Downy would have done me in.

Safe Crackers:  The car took me by complete surprise!  I wasn't not surprised to see another car offered, but I was shocked to see it offered in Safe Crackers after one was already offered in Check Out.  Kathy definitely threw us some curve balls today.

Showcases:  Probably the best showcases we've seen in a while.  I actually got a few laughs out of the first one, for the first time in a long time.  It certainly beats the groaners ([cough] fried chicken [cough]) that have been prevalent recently.  Oh, and I can't forget to bring this out in tribute to Catherine:
:gotc:

Overall, I'd say we had another solid show today.  The showcases were a plus, and we had another good pricing game lineup.  I would have liked to see a typical car game played in the second half though (Dice Game?).

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2008, 04:50:42 AM »
WOW!!!!

Drew was BRILLIANT during Check Out!  His explanations were caring, natural, and reminiscent of the Barker era.  Safe Crackers he was good in as well.  Now why can't he maintain that level all the time?  This is the way he should be hosting!  Today's show felt like The Price is Right and not "Gilligan's Island With Games."

Joe

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2008, 10:08:48 AM »
BBB: Leaving out Drew's comments on the trip skins was a good move. Another one is Drew saying "You have a chance to win over $10K. Good start. :-)

Plinko: No $10K, But still OK.

One Away: Karen has so much compassion in her asking "The old mighty sound effects lady" how many numbers she had right. When she changed the third digit, I feared the worse. :cry:

CoG: A BRASS BED ON STEROIDS!!! :-o :-o :-o $6,798 was the way to go.

Check-Out: FOR A CAR??!!! :-o :-o :-o Where does Angela shop??!!! $6 for Toaster Strudel??!! :headbang: I mean the setuo was evil, indeed. :evil:

Safe: FOR ANOTHER CAR??!!! 8-O 8-O 8-O I rally feared the worse when Catherine sat the safe at 540. Boy, was i wrong!! :oops: Loved her winning reaction, too. Great job.  :-)

Showcases: Well, the first one didn't quite look terrible. It was kinda funny. The second one without the bloody recap was a"breath of fresh air". Catherine, you pulled a BIG  :gotc:!!!!!

A 3.50-star show.

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2008, 10:36:44 PM »
Game #32 (#6,953)

Showcase #1
Stemware - $504
Baby Grand Piano - $13,195
Chrysler Sebring - $27,475

Showcase #2
Game Table - $4,759
Board Games - $403
Arcade Game - $6,995
Trip to St. Croix - $6,732

Total show prize value:  $192,030 (25 prizes)

Your Modeling Scorecard for November 4, 2008, which will be Rachel's birthday, and she will be 28.
Daily Records
High:  $84,799 (Rebecca Mary, 2005)
Low:  $14,250 (Gwennie Osborne, 2005, same episode as Rebecca's record)

Rachel Reynolds
November 4
Total dollars:  $82,713
($38,393 won, $44,320 lost)
Total prizes:  8 (6-2)
Cars, Trips: 3, 2

After 25 shows
Total dollars:  $1,511,047...she's averaging $60,441.88 per episode, which is awesome!
($712,014 won, $799,033 lost)
Total prizes:  215 (137-78)
Cars, Trips: 30, 21 (10-20, 15-6)

Brandi Sherwood
November 4
Total dollars:  $29,404
($16,170 won, $13,234 lost)
Total prizes:  9 (7-2)
Cars, Trips: 0, 1

After 19 shows
Total dollars:  $819,336
($381,771 won, $437,565 lost)
Total prizes:  144 (93-51)
Cars, Trips: 17, 13 (8-9, 5-8)

Lanisha Cole
November 4
Total dollars:  $38,240
($22,001 won, $16,239 lost)
Total prizes:  9 (7-2)
Cars, Trips: 1, 1

After 16 shows
Total dollars:  $692,194
($338,902 won, $353,292 lost)
Total prizes:  130 (86-44)
Cars, Trips: 12, 10 (3-9, 5-5)

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2008, 01:53:46 AM »
Quick Comments:

BBB: Drew's hosting was very good here, with some Barkeresque quality.  I liked his acknowledgment of the total trip value in the beginning.

One Away: Karen asked the sound effects lady so nicely.  It's a shame that she didn't change the 2 to a 4.

Check Out: For a car!! I cringed when Angela said $6 for the pastries.  The whole way I thought she was going to be over the ARP, and it turned out she was under by almost $6.  I guess I'd forgotten about the price of some of those items that were used last season.  Drew's explanation of the game was very clear (although I didn't need to hear it repeated so much) and he hosted this well.

Safe:  Another car, introduced with one of my all-time favorite music cues.  Good win by Catherine. 

Two non-car games back to back in the second half?!? Wow, what a lineup!!  I do agree with whoever said that the cars offered for these two games probably should have been switched.

Interesting...all three contestants in SCSD #2 were wearing red.

Showcase #1:  This wasn't that bad of a theme, until it was abandoned for the car reveal.  The elephant crushing the piano was random yet really funny at the same time.  But oh Catherine, your bid didn't even cover the cost of the car.

I really liked Karen, and was glad she won her showcase.

This was a great show; the audience had good energy, and Drew did a good job today.  I hope there are more episodes like this one in the future...
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).