Author Topic: One-Prize Game That Should've Been Played for a Car  (Read 5157 times)

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: One-Prize Game That Should've Been Played for a Car
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 02:15:28 PM »
Well regardless of why it was retired (and yeah, you're right, I just checked the FAQ), Bonkers has never seemed to confuse anybody. LOL
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 02:18:31 PM »
As I recall, isn't Coming or Going designed to house a fifth number should they ever decide to play it for a car?

Whether it is or isn't, It would not work because depending on the choice of prices it would make it a cake walk. For Example you are playing for a Ford Focus priced at either $16,345 or $54,361. But now if the choices were $16,341 or $14,361 then it would work.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 03:53:10 PM »
Well regardless of why it was retired (and yeah, you're right, I just checked the FAQ), Bonkers has never seemed to confuse anybody. LOL

I think why Split Decision was confusing is because how Bob would reset the numbers after each guess, and the contestant probably forgot what combinations he/she used earlier or tried to concentrate on both the car and smaller prize.  I think it would have made the game easier to understand if Bob said to concentrate on the smaller prize or he didn't push the incorrect numbers back up. 

With Bonkers, the contestant is moving constantly and knows whether he/she is right or wrong with a hit of the button and can figure out their mistakes easier than Split Decision.  Also, Split Decision required the host to say the guesses the contestant made and ask if they were correct or not.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 04:06:42 PM »
With Bonkers, the contestant is moving constantly and knows whether he/she is right or wrong with a hit of the button and can figure out their mistakes easier than Split Decision.  Also, Split Decision required the host to say the guesses the contestant made and ask if they were correct or not.

Same goes for Race Game, since you also run back and forth and pull a lever to see how many you have right, followed by either a buzzer (which tells you to go back and change something) or the winning bells (which go off when all four are right).

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 02:12:48 AM »
Some of the quickie games could be interesting...Side By Side-is it 23,189 or 18,923?

Well, that doesn't work out quite right...  Try $23,918 vs. $18,923.  Given this kind of setup though, it would be interesting to see played for a car.  Similar to using Coming or Going or Flip Flop for a car, the digits in the price would have to be just right to give two fairly equal options to the contestant.
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).

Offline mbetush

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 03:58:21 AM »
i hate myself for saying this.....but Joker for a car might have made sense.  It's similar to the classic 5 price tags in so much that playing the sp portion of the game perfectly does not guarantee a win.  However, some pricing knowledge is beneficial when picking the tags in 5PT, and joker is a crapshoot.
Anxiously awaiting another MDS since 2009.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 12:07:42 PM »
Some of the quickie games could be interesting...Side By Side-is it 23,189 or 18,923?
Well, that doesn't work out quite right...  Try $23,918 vs. $18,923.

Or don't.  Greg's setup works just fine; it's yours that doesn't.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline BobJacobsenVer1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 12:04:15 AM »
Same goes for Race Game, since you also run back and forth and pull a lever to see how many you have right, followed by either a buzzer (which tells you to go back and change something) or the winning bells (which go off when all four are right).

Wow, Race game for 4 cars... That would rock for a visual lol... if it would be even possible.. lol

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2008, 04:32:57 PM »
Well, that doesn't work out quite right...  Try $23,918 vs. $18,923.

Or don't.  Greg's setup works just fine; it's yours that doesn't.

I must've been confusing it with another game or something.  It just looked weird when I read it before...probably something to do with seeing a comma in a Side by Side price...
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).