Author Topic: Buy or Sell?  (Read 16262 times)

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
Re: Buy or Sell?
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2008, 07:01:58 PM »
Might the reason for retirement simply be because the game is too similar to More or Less? 

This is what I would think.  More or Less does the same thing as Buy or Sell, only infinitely easier to understand.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2008, 07:05:10 PM »
So without any evidence presented to you, you still blamed Drew for the game being retired - is that a correct assessment of your logic? 

Well, gee, thanks to the guy's big mouth, 3 Strikes's life is up in the air too.  The guy may never have said anything on air, but off air he might have.  Drew's certainly been good at getting his way when he doesn't like certain games.

More or Less does the same thing as Buy or Sell, only infinitely easier to understand.

No, More or Less is different from Buy or Sell in concept.  You still have the essential element of higher or lower in both games, but in Buy or Sell, you only need to come out ahead in the differences between the given price and the real price.  In More or Less, you have to be exactly right on all of your guesses, or you will not win the game.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 07:06:56 PM by Nick »
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline pinball777

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2008, 07:10:55 PM »
This truly sucks. I loved the game as a kid even though I never understood the concept. I don't see why they would retire it. I thought this game really couldn't be retired.

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2008, 07:14:53 PM »
 :headbang: Another game gone, huh? :cry:

Buy or Sell 1992-2008

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2008, 07:16:17 PM »
As I said in a previous post, Buy or Sell had not been added to the rotation for Season 37 even before Roger was dismissed.  

I believe there were some discussions last year amongst certain staff members that Buy or Sell was one of those games that was not particularly well liked amongst the staff.

According to a source at CBS, Buy or Sell has not been seen around the building since Season 36.
John

Online mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2008, 07:25:03 PM »
Thank you, John, for the clarification as to the circumstances surrounding Buy or Sell's retirement.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Enzo Aquarius

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2008, 07:29:48 PM »
Aww man, I thought it was a nice multi-prize game to be played every so often. Too bad. :cry:
CSS 2008/2009 Note-Worthy Stats - 1 QSW - 5 DSW - 23 Top-5 Wins - Top One-Day Winnings: $204,648
CSS 2007/2008 Note-Worthy Stats - 9 DSW - 37 Top-5 Wins - 3 EXACTAS! - Top One-Day Winnings: $83,874. 

A Proud Member of Team GRRR!

Offline greg

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2008, 07:47:46 PM »
I'm sort oif indifferent...I desperately hate for any game to be retired, but I never really liked this game.  There was something about the explanation given,  as to how to play, that made it seem way harder than it actually was.  I hate to see it go, but it was kind of bland.  Bob always seemed to rush through it like he never really liked it either. 

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2008, 07:52:46 PM »
I believe there were some discussions last year amongst certain staff members that Buy or Sell was one of those games that was not particularly well liked amongst the staff.

That just doesn't sit right with me, somehow...I mean, I don't think we've had a retirement explanation that simple since they got rid of Give or Keep 18 years ago, and that game had even been retired once already, back in 1978.  I'm sure there were other games they didn't all like, either, but they generally didn't go retiring them without there being some larger, more pressing reason.

I wonder if it's possible that one of the "certain staff members" was Drew.  After all, he certainly seems to be vocal when he doesn't like something.  Heck, maybe Roger even foresaw the problems coming down the pipe with 3 Strikes and figured he had bigger problems than Buy or Sell to worry about.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline left4thehouse

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2008, 08:20:37 PM »
Buy or Sell to me had the "Give or Keep Plus" vibe to it. It is head scratching to see it go, instead of Make Your Mark. Let's hope the others are safer than we expect.

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2008, 08:23:54 PM »
Buy or Sell to me had the "Give or Keep Plus" vibe to it. It is head scratching to see it go, instead of Make Your Mark. Let's hope the others are safer than we expect.

Who said anything about it going instead of anything else?

The way I understood John's post, Buy or Sell was retired before Roger was fired.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2008, 08:50:04 PM »
I wonder if it's possible that one of the "certain staff members" was Drew.  After all, he certainly seems to be vocal when he doesn't like something.

I don't have any background information like many of the members around here, but Buy or Sell was only played 4 times last season.  

I don't think that really gives him enough time to form a strong opinion one way or another.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2008, 08:53:22 PM »
I don't think that really gives him enough time to form a strong opinion one way or another.

On the contrary, considering Drew, for him to form an opinion about a game after one playing seems perfectly believable to me.

I'm with Steve in that I believe "certain staff members" is simply Drew.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2008, 09:11:59 PM »
I was looking at Buy or Sell's frequency in the years that it has been on the show and here's what I found:

With the exception of its inaugural season, Season 20, for the first six years, the game was played at least 10 times a year.  Starting in Season 27, it took a huge nosedive in frequency, being played, on average, only about 7 times a year from that season onwards.  Probably the addition of One Wrong Price and Clearance Sale to the rotation that year caused the game to be sent to the back burner for frequency.

Although, one can't rule out Drew's responsibility for this.  After all, on the first time they played ½ Off under his watch, the $500 bonuses were added, and John said that was at Drew's request.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2008, 09:18:47 PM »
It's hard not to think Drew had a part in this. He mouthed off ON THE AIR about 3 Strikes and what happens? It's now in limbo. There's not telling what Drew has said behind the scenes, off the air. I have a feeling he said something and that's what led to BOS being retired.