Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 11/05/2008  (Read 32751 times)

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 11/05/2008
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2008, 12:07:20 AM »
[
My God.  This show has become a joke.

Agreed. Though I would say it's more along the lines of a bad joke.

Why was the treadmill being modeled by the giant mountain climber?  And why did they think it was a good idea to accompany it with On the Franches Mountains?  And why do I get a sinking feeling we haven't seen the last of that stupid thing?  It was sort of funny once, but if they keep using it, it's just going to get annoying -- an attempt to liven up a part of the proceedings that was only boring in Drew's mind to begin with.

If they really feel the need to use the mountain climber more they oughta just play Cliff Hangers. That's sooooo much more fun than seeing an annoying giant mountain climber.  

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2008, 12:17:33 AM »
If they get the idea that giant Hans is a good running gag, I fully expect the big doors to open one day and see it standing there, then Drew pops out from behind it. As I've mentioned elsewhere, things like giant Hans are funny if used occasionally, but can easily be overused and become tiresome.

And to clarify, I would NOT want to see super sized Hans used in the manner I described above. Take note, any TPIR staffers who might be reading this.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 12:26:45 AM by Hag »
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline TPIRSteven

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2008, 01:07:55 AM »
Cover Up:  Another particularly evil setup today. :-o  I would have also lost, mainly because I wouldn't have ever guessed 6 for the fourth number.

Danger Price:  I agree with Fireball -- the Big Banana Remix should have been used here for the cue.  I was thinking the clock was $1,535 all along.

One Bid 3:  Yay!  The Cliffhangers mountain climber appears again!

Make Your Move:  I think it would have been only appropriate to play Cliffhangers here, especially when you consider that today's lineup lacked a small-prize game.  But I'll take MYM, which is a favorite of mine.  Tony nearly had this won, but the peanut gallery talked him out of it. :-(

Showcase Showdown 1:  Methinks the crowd got a bit too eager with the boos during Sandy's first spin.

Bonkers:  Russell knows how to play this game, earning six chances, but unfortunately all of them were wrong!  He came very close to winning early, but then he started making less logical choices.  I claim that the best way to play this game is to have something in your mind for the first number and leave it alone, limiting the number of possible choices to eight.  Then you will have time to try the vast majority of these combinations.  In this case, I would have left the first number lower for each try, as there was no way in my mind that the piano was more than $8,000.

Pass the Buck:  I didn't know how they'd handle the $3,000 glitch in the beginning of the game.  I agree that it probably would have been best to just give David the $3,000 no matter what.  I'm just glad David ended up winning in the end, making a good haul with the car and $5,000.

1 Right Price:  I'm shocked that the basketball game was that much! 8-O  I would have won this, but for the wrong reason -- I thought the game was less than $3,019.

Showcases:  It was neat to see a change of pace with the LA Kings showcase, but once again, the execution killed it.  The antics were not funny, and I found the threat on David to be borderline offensive.  As for the price, woah!  I thought Reinell boats were cheap!  Chalk up another garf for me!

My showcase bids:
Hockey/Boat:  $23,022 (Diff: ~$6,000) -- I can't figure out what the last two digits were in the price.  I thought Drew said it was $29,322, but Joe says it's $29,320.  In addition, the BuddyTom has $29,332 in the CSS thread.
Room/Snowmobile:  $16,427 (Diff: $1,068)

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2008, 01:09:25 AM »
"Hi David, I'm Kyle Calder of the L.A. Kings." (other players run in and start fighting randomly) "It's a new boat!"

That might have been the most (unintentionally) funny one yet. I think Steve said it best...
This show has become a joke.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2008, 03:24:41 AM »
I think you guys missed the "tie in" of the Kings showcase:  Two things that have turned to "Suck" without the "one" than made 'em great.

Do you really want everyone around here to see Drew the way you do?  I mean, sure I do like Drew as a host, but at the same time, I can see where he does need a lot of work, such as his entrances, game reveals, or writing copy for Rich, but it's perfectly all right for someone to like Drew.

For the most part, we agree the show is in danger, and some here feel that Drew's hosting abilities are part of what is causing the show to be on thin ice right now.  But as mrbrown has said, there are ways to express your dissatisfaction with the show, and saying "Drew, please stop doing (insert item here)" all the time in the recap thread is really not the way to do it.  People will more than likely just pass you buy or not take you seriously.

Yet again someone recommends what someone should say or write.  I'd be willing to be a bucket of fried chicken against a slice of pizza that he absolutely positively no longer reads the posts on this site.   But let's be fair to you.  Why don't you give us an example of how you can express your dissatisfaction in a message to him about what is making you unhappy.  Should we just not post anything at all?  Should we as some people have recommended just go away to our corner and cry?

I for one will still fight until the fighting is done.  Until someone from the show's production staff, Fremantle, or CBS posts a release that says "Get over yourself, we ain't going back and the way it is now is the way it shall be" I will continue to believe that the more negative reponses that are posted here, posted elsewhere or mailed to any and all interested parties, it will eventually work its way into the minds of the decision makers that the mission to attract a larger viewing audience is unaccomplished and failing fast.

Feel free, as some of you did, post messages that say you actually liked the Kings showcase.  You are the audience they are trying to reach with these changes.  But do me a favor and do a quick head count on this site of the "likers" to the "dislikers".  What did Fremantle give up to get those "likers"?

I guarantee it's at least 2:1 against you.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 03:35:31 AM by FPGWillyT »

Offline Scott5114

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2008, 04:58:53 AM »
(what, pray tell, does the boat have to do with hockey, unless you use it to sail to Switzerland).

I'd like to see someone try that. Switzerland is landlocked. :P

Quote from: heelsrule1988
Please. As a hockey fan, I was proud to see such a great sport shown to people that may not be familiar with it.

Oh, I'm sure that a certain governor has made the United States quite aware of hockey. I've heard that there are even moms involved in it.

Can someone post a screenshot of Giant Hans? I've never heard of this prop before.

Offline SteveEllis

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2008, 07:31:36 AM »
Pass The Buck: I heard Drew say that the #3 fell off because of the wind of the curtain rising.  Maybe they could set the number board farther back from the curtain?  Or raise the curtain more slowly?

Here is how I would handle it:
  either: point out to the contestant that the #3 space is revealed.
               tell him that he has to start out with $0 dollars, that he has 3 picks, and he can pick #3 IF he WANTS to,            or he can NOT pick #3.  It's up to him.

OR:        He still has 3 picks.  He can pick any 3 he wants, OTHER THAN the #3 spot.  And he gets to keep the $3000 plus anything else he picks.  This way anything he picks, he earned, including a LOSE.  BUT his getting a LOSE would not negate the $3000, he would just lose what he got in the main game.  Can someone here paraphrase this post?  Can someone here paraphrase this post?  Please?  With my aspergers it is hard for me to speak or write in english.  I think it was unfair that Drew said he could keep the $3000, then take it back when the contestant picked the #4 (LOSE)

This is comparable to a price being revealed in Grand Game.  Does anyone here remember how they handled Grand Game when a grocery item price was revealed?  I believe this prop has malfunctioned MORE THAN once.

In this case, If the contestant WANTS this price, she can TAKE it, but it only counts as taken if she calls for it.  It's like an ACE; can count as a 1 or 11, whichever she chooses.  So in Grand Game, if the accidentally revealed price is higher than target, that's one thing.  If lower, that's another.  Would the show given her an automatic $10,000 in this scenario?  NO.  Unless I'm mistaken.
15. Messages posted express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of the administrators and moderations of this site.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2008, 08:48:13 AM »
Cover Up:  What a tough loss! :-(
Danger Price:  Too bad! :-(  I would've thought the clock over the computer too.
Make Your Move:  Rats!  I thought it would be red, yellow, green from left to right.  Tony shoulda left it when he had it that way instead of listening to the peanut gallery. :headbang:
Bonkers:  Too bad! :-(  At least Russell wasn't looking at the peanut gallery for advice. :-)
Pass The Buck:  Nice! :-)  I agree that David should've gotten to keep the $3,000 no matter what.
1 Right Price:  Good job! :-)
Showcases:  That was neat having the L.A. Kings in the first showcase.  The way the yhad the bedroom set up in the second showcase is the way they should set up all the rooms all the time.

An okay show overall, IMHO.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2008, 09:00:47 AM »
Quote from: Nick
When I say spoiled, I refer to the game being in a state where it cannot be played.  If the car was revealed, there would have been nothing they could have done to play the game since the car was completely given away.  Under today's circumstances, the game could and did proceed fairly inhibited.

Yes, but with improved odds of winning the car. Remember, it would not be fair to the next contestant who gets to play "Pass the Buck" and doesn't have a space revealed because someone dropped the ball.

There are no grounds.
Again, yes there are. I understood Drew to tell the contestant, in essence, "You get $3,000," which if I were in David's shoes, would lead me to believe I won $3,000 and would get to keep it ... without doing a thing since the space was revealed through the show's fault. If David had lost everything at game's end, I'd go on those grounds. Again, this is something we'll have to disagree on.

I guess I can identify with the old geezer who years ago insisted that he was a millionaire through Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes ... because the mailing had the faces of Dick Clark and Ed McMahon on the front annoucing in bold print that he had won ... even if it said he really didn't in small print. Unless I missed something, the taking away of the $3,000 after David had: 1. been told he would get it, and 2. uncovered a "Lose Everything" space is just like the small print disclaimer on the PCS envelope (which the poor old man didn't notice and/or couldn't make out because of his eyesight). Simply put, you said I won a given prize and I'm holding you to your word. Beyond that, I think such a discussion would require an attorney trained in contest law.

I think you should.  If you did, you would see how he's ruining the show too.
What? And ruin the enjoyment of the gameplay? I am certainly not defending Drew, but unless something is totally amiss or I notice something that needs comment, I don't think I'm qualified to make such judgements against Mr. Carey, warranted or not. Even if I were qualified, I personally would want to make sure I'm stating my criticisms the right way. You and several others on this board are way better at critiquing Drew than I am.  However, I will say Drew should have handled the "Pass the Buck" situation better ... even if that means, at the very least, asking to have tape stopped and going over to Fingers or Syd and asking how to handle things now that one of the answers is revealed.

I refuse to comment here on the Syd/Roger relationship. I think there are other threads where I can weigh in on this further.

Quote from: SteveEllis
In this case, If the contestant WANTS this price, she can TAKE it, but it only counts as taken if she calls for it.  It's like an ACE; can count as a 1 or 11, whichever she chooses.  ...  Unless I'm mistaken.

The 1/11 rule for aces is an established rule in Blackjack, and is irrelevant to any exposed answers in TPiR's games as I see appropriately handling a given situation. In the Grand Game case, I'd simply — and I've said this before, so here goes — stop tape, get six new products out and a new target price, give Rich the new copy ... and after checking the game to make sure everything is in place immediately before the Giant Price Tag goes up, proceed as normal. Other game shows do this when a mistake is made; for instance, "Family Feud" years ago, before they switched to the computerized board, several times had to stop tape to load a new question (because an answer was exposed or incorrectly revealed). Same with "Wheel of Fortune," as incorrect letters get turned, meaning the puzzle is thrown out.

The showcases were genuinely awful today, and the production values were horrible. There was absolutely no excuse for the revealed space on Pass the Buck, and equally on the number that was visible on Bonkers (and yes, you could definitely see a number, I believe it was a 7 or a 2) - if Roger was still around, the $3K would've been awarded on PTB and I think we might've even had a technical win in Bonkers for "potentially confusing the contestant" (even though he obviously was not confused).

The Bonkers game prop malfunction happened after the game was over ... no technical win here.

I'd say the writing was, well, bad for the first showcase. A hockey showcase is not bad, as I stated earlier. But now thinking about the "punch in the face" quip, I wouldn't have. Just have the L.A. Kings players introduce the prizes normally, and things will be fine. An appropriate skit leading to the brawl and an appropriate prize (such as removed from the building and sent to ... X-destination) would have worked.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 02:39:25 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2008, 09:20:25 AM »
Yet again someone recommends what someone should say or write.  I'd be willing to be a bucket of fried chicken against a slice of pizza that he absolutely positively no...

Okay Willy, you do have a point.  I should let people write what they want to write, even if I disagree with them.  It's just that I am a bit put off when some people tell those who like the way the show is going to try and see how the show has been flushed down the toilet recently.  Also, now that I think about it, maybe the only way to reach out to Drew is "Drew, please stop...", but I personally am not going to type that in my posts, I choose not do.  If there are other people who wish to do that, be my guest.

I should respect those who are fighting to make the show return to the way it should be and if I have nothing nice to say about it, then I should keep my mouth shut.  I apologize to those whom I have offended with that post.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2008, 09:26:21 AM »
I for one will still fight until the fighting is done.  Until someone from the show's production staff, Fremantle, or CBS posts a release that says "Get over yourself, we ain't going back and the way it is now is the way it shall be" I will continue to believe that the more negative reponses that are posted here, posted elsewhere or mailed to any and all interested parties, it will eventually work its way into the minds of the decision makers that the mission to attract a larger viewing audience is unaccomplished and failing fast.

Damn straight.  Somewhere deep, deep beneath this mess that Drew Carey is now putting on the air every morning still faintly beats the heart of The Fabulous, 60-Minute Price Is Right, and I refuse to believe that it can't still be resuscitated and brought back to its glory if we can pound it into his head hard enough that this "new direction" isn't working.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2008, 09:34:26 AM »
(See above)

The mailing letters en masse to Fremantle (there, I got it right), CBS, Drew Carey thing might just work. Now, I challenge some of us to actually do it. Even if there is a news release saying they refuse to revert to the "old days."

Brian
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 02:40:37 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline ntpir

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2008, 09:46:32 AM »
from SteveGavazzi: Damn straight.  Somewhere deep, deep beneath this mess that Drew Carey is now putting on the air every morning still faintly beats the heart of The Fabulous, 60-Minute Price Is Right, and I refuse to believe that it can't still be resuscitated and brought back to its glory if we can pound it into his head hard enough that this "new direction" isn't working.

I want to believe this too, but it is getting harder and harder to do so...I'm about ready to call it for me and I have loved this show since 1982...Come on Drew...please stop this insanity. I know I'll be writing to Fremantle and CBS.

Lol...on a lighter note, I believe Mr. Barker couldn't have said it better himself, "You know you've ruined my show..." I'm sure you can all guess that reference. :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 09:48:41 AM by ntpir »

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2008, 10:00:20 AM »
The Bonkers game prop malfunction happened after the game was over ... no technical win here.

I'm not referring to the number falling out of its holder when Drew did the reveal - that would not be cause for a technical win.

What I am referring to is the number that fell out was plainly visible, even in standard definition, before the reveal was done - it was sticking at least half way out of its holder for crying out loud. It may have not been the correct number (it looked as though they're printed with different numbers on both sides), but it was a number nonetheless, and we've had technical wins for a lot less confusing things (i.e. the lights malfunctioning last year)
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline SteveEllis

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2008, 10:14:51 AM »
Briguy, ok I'm sorry I made that point about the ace.  My bad.  Still, you did not reply to my post.  I wrote that either he could start the game with zero and pick up to 3 cards.  Anyway Drew should not have said what he did about the number board, in my opinion.  If I was the host, I would ask the producer whether we tell the contestant he MAY or HAS TO take the 3 space.  I think they should have made the contestant help the producers make a decision.  I think that there are two acceptable solutions to this problem: Say that he automatically wins the $3000 and he can NOT lose it.  And he can't PICK it.  He just HAS the 3K.  

Or the other acceptable solution:  The interested parties can rule that the #3 spot IS pickable, but the contestant can pick it or not.

They should not have taken the 3000 away from him when he got the LOSE.  The show handled this wrong, I think.  In fact, I think they should have given him $8,000 and the car.  The maximum possible, when the game ended because I think the show was incompetent.  Sorry but that's what I feel.

Brigruy, you wrote that they should stop tape this playing.  I disagree, because of what I said in both this post and my older post.  If you stopped tape, you'd be wasting time.  My ways would save time.

And I stand by my comment about Grand Game.  The revealed price is either above or less than the target.  The revealed space in Grand Game should be played appropriately.  Whichever way would work out better.

As I write this, the thing is telling me that someone has posted while I am typing this. I will look at that post after I post this one.

Now, about that accidental reveal today in Pass The Buck.  What I already said, but they need to be careful.  This has happened before.

15. Messages posted express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of the administrators and moderations of this site.