Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 11/05/2008  (Read 32756 times)

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 11/05/2008
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2008, 10:24:36 AM »
Do you really want everyone around here to see Drew the way you do?... some here feel that Drew's hosting abilities are part of what is causing the show to be on thin ice right now.

There's more than Drew's hosting inability that's put the show on thin ice, and more that's come from Drew himself that people want to realise.

But as mrbrown has said, there are ways to express your dissatisfaction with the show, and saying "Drew, please stop doing (insert item here)" all the time in the recap thread is really not the way to do it.  People will more than likely just pass you buy or not take you seriously.

No, I have reason to believe that the show's staff reads this board, maybe even Drew himself, so if I direct my statements towards him, maybe he'll read him.

Steve put it best.  The show's a joke now, and we need to do absolutely everything we can to save it.  We may be the show's only hope for survival, and I know it's hard to wrap around the reality of those words, but like it or not, that's what we've come to.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2008, 11:21:42 AM »
Perhaps that's where the direct mail campaign comes in. This way: 1. the message comes in loud and clear; and 2. In case Drew, et al., laugh this board off as a bunch of fanatics who hope we get over ourselves. They (meaning TPiR's staffers, Fremantle, CBS, Drew, etc.) need to make sure they take us seriously.

Can someone provide us with addresses, or a link therein?

Brian
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 02:41:54 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline TheHYPO

• In the Audience
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2008, 11:38:43 AM »
Without evaluating the Kings showcase any further (no comment on it, except to say I would have done without the fighting), had this showcase been won:

• Donate the hockey equipment to charity, a local orphanage, a youth organization ... do something with it if you don't like hockey. At least it will bring a smile to some kid's face.

Was there actually EQUIPMENT? I thought it was just Personalized jerseys which lots of people wear around town for all sports (or get it personalized for a friend or child or whatever. I didn't see any sticks or pads or helmets in the prize package they showed; though Drew said Equipment in his sum-up, he often just says the wrong thing.

As for Switzerland, no one said you have to go to the hockey tournament in switzerland. A trip to switzerland is a trip to switzerland which is a fine prize on any other day. As for the boat... I would say I'd rather have a trip to switzerland, and sell a boat for the money,  than the bedroom set and snowmobile that he ended up with. I have never liked/wanted to win a "room" showcase. What are the odds that the style of furniture offered will end up being something the contestant likes, needs, or will even fit in their X-room. It can also be very hard to price, since furniture can vary in price vastly depending on quality.

ETA: I too was surprised there wasn't a "We talked it over and David gets $3000 too" after the break. Drew said "you get this gift". Even if it's not what he meant, that's what he said. He also didn't say before the first pick that he could lose it for a Lose Everything. Standards and Practices would usually be all over that.

Also, I liked the Kings 'case. I've seen hockey players do commercials before and the guys were very personable an enthusiastic in this compared to other instances. I think the fight sucked, but only because the fight sucked, not because of the idea. The guys were laughing and obviously fake fighting.
a) The player introducing the boat should have been starting to say something when attacked, not just standing there
b) They should have "fought"-pushed him offstage to the left or something and left the boat out in the open.
c) They should have introduced the fourth guy at some point. What was he there for? Also, in the preview videos, there are shots of the four guys at the IUFB podiums. Wonder what that was for.

EDIT: Actually, in retrospect, I agree with another poster that they should have played "shell game cheater" style and put the 3 back on the board, and played the game as-is. allowed David the knowledge of one free space to do with as he pleased (skip it to look for the car, pick it right away, or probably the best strategy, pick it as his last pick or second pick if he found the car in his first pick). That would have been the fairest way to do things, but obviously that's with some fore-thought, and Drew (or someone who he talked to during the car reveal) obviously had to make a quick decision there.

MOD NOTE: Merged consecutive posts. - JC
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 02:44:00 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline SteveEllis

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2008, 12:05:32 PM »

ETA: I too was surprised there wasn't a "We talked it over and David gets $3000 too" after the break. Drew said "you get this gift". Even if it's not what he meant, that's what he said. He also didn't say before the first pick that he could lose it for a Lose Everything. Standards and Practices would usually be all over that.

What is ETA?
15. Messages posted express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of the administrators and moderations of this site.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2008, 12:16:54 PM »
Quote from: The HYPO
Was there actually EQUIPMENT? I thought it was just Personalized jerseys which lots of people wear around town for all sports (or get it personalized for a friend or child or whatever. I didn't see any sticks or pads or helmets in the prize package they showed; though Drew said Equipment in his sum-up, he often just says the wrong thing.

My point was, donate it to charity. There are people out there who would appreciate that as a gift.

Quote from: The HYPO

Which is exactly my point. Drew essentially said, "You get $3,000," and didn't state it could be lost by an errant pick on the Pass the Buck board. That's where the legal ramifications could come in had the game ended on a negative note (i.e., the last pick was "Lose Everything"); the contestant (David) was told he got $3,000, and if Drew is a man of his honor, David should get that cash in addition to the car and the $5,000 he won.

Brian
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 02:45:50 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline TheHYPO

• In the Audience
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2008, 12:18:54 PM »
Wow, I agree with Nick on something? :P

Quote from:  Briguy
Y'know, if I were David and had wound up a loser with my three proper picks and lost out on the $3,000 "gift" that should have been mine, I would be filing a lawsuit against Freemantle, CBS and Drew Carey (as the show's primary face; and yes, I'd throw the Drew T-shirt out too), demanding my winnings on the grounds I just gave.

You would have absolutely no case.

That's not entirely true... but with freemantle's/CBS's legal teams, you would have a hell of a battle on your hands. Drew said "That is a gift", and said nothing about lose-everything taking it away. There would be a good legal argument for a case, but it wouldn't really be a cost-effective case to bring.

What is ETA?

It means "Edited to add" - often used just to point out that this is part of an edit, so you're not crazy if you didn't se it the first time you read the post :)

Into the ground, where they'll find a nice pink Cancellation Slip - the first time a variation will get one since 1995, when the Doug Davidson version was given one.

But they only find the pink cancellation slip if the choose all the cards with the wrong ratings on them. Oo. I love Ad Money.

MOD NOTE: Merged consecutive posts ...and it's FREMANTLE, Hypo. Paper, pen, corner. Start writing. - JC
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 02:48:24 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2008, 12:50:55 PM »
You would have absolutely no case.

That's not entirely true... but with freemantle's/CBS's legal teams, you would have a hell of a battle on your hands. Drew said "That is a gift", and said nothing about lose-everything taking it away. There would be a good legal argument for a case, but it wouldn't really be a cost-effective case to bring.

Costs aside, it's the principle of the matter.

Brian

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2008, 03:30:59 PM »
I did not see Pass The Buck's actual game-play,

But in my view, if there is a prop mix up before game-play begins that reveals a money amount, the contestant gets that money amount because of a "production error." And a lesson is learned to be more careful in rehearsals and game preparation for the next playing. 

This is similar to at least once when Punchboard had a missing slip of paper that was not in the hole when the game was prepared.  Bob gave the contestant the $10,000 maximum grand prize and said, "There is one less hole puncher on this show."  Bob and Roger were perfectionists about how this show ran and was prepared.  Now we are seeing more evidence in "The Odd Couple's" Oscar Madison  scenario where games and prizes are often discombobled, Drew is rougher on the props than he should be, Showcases have little to no theme or organization, and the writing has become a 5tth grade slapstick hack job.

What's unfortunate, is that no one seems to know at the BBS what this new direction is supposed to mean or even the circumstances of why Roger was dismissed.  But whatever Fremantle is doing or trying to do, it is alienating Price's loyal fan-base more than doing anything to help the show.

Joe

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2008, 03:41:41 PM »
Bob and Roger were perfectionists about how this show ran and was prepared.  Now we are seeing more evidence in "The Odd Couple's" Oscar Madison  scenario where games and prizes are often discombobled, Drew is rougher on the props than he should be, Showcases have little to no theme or organization, and the writing has become a 5tth grade slapstick hack job.

What's unfortunate, is that no one seems to know at the BBS what this new direction is supposed to mean or even the circumstances of why Roger was dismissed.  But whatever Fremantle is doing or trying to do, it is alienating Price's loyal fan-base more than doing anything to help the show.

The writing aside, the slipshod production is my biggest beef with the show right now, moreso than anything Drew is or is not doing.

Brian

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2008, 09:27:54 AM »
Cover: The 6 would've been my choice for the fourth digit and I think I' would've won this one, too.  :D Too bad for Sandy.  :-(

Danger: When it came down to the Clock and the Computer. I would've probably made a "Shot-in-the-Dark" guess and said the clock, too.  :-( Darn.

MYM: Somebody spray the audience.  :headbang:

Bonkers: Russell was an excellent player but when he went "Higher" on the first digit. It didn't look good. Seeing a "7" behind one of the cards after it fell did look odd. But no complaints about that.

PTB: David should've got the $3K automatically. That's all I got to say about that. But I'm sure he's happy with his car and $5K.

1RP: I had a hunch that Arcade Game would be more than $3019. Good job.  :-)

Showcases: "How would you like a punch in your face?"  :-o :-o :-o :-o How would he like my foot kicking out his teeth?  :-P I'm not a hockey fan and I don't care about how funny some said it was. This showcase had STUPID written all over it.  :headbang:

A 1.50-star show. (My lowest ranked score, yet.)

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2008, 12:04:21 AM »
Cover Up-Well, Sandy sure got more turns than your average contestant who plays this game.  It's a shame she couldn't get a win, though.  That 1 was a tough choice for the last digit.  I would've never guessed it.

Make Your Move-I had no idea the motorcycle was that expensive.  Thought Tony had it.

Pass the Buck-I believe that was uncalled for to take David's $3000 away.  If they were going to give it to him, they should have given it to him for him to keep, regardless of the outcome in the game.  Didn't really matter, though, since he ended up winning a car and money anyway.

Showcases-Okay, I've been willing to give the showcases a chance, but that first showcase was utter crap.  I don't care if the hockey players were trying to get into character, you don't ask a contestant, "How would you like a punch in the face?"  That was absolutely uncalled for.  And that fight made no sense whatsoever.  Worst showcase ever, in my opinion.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline TheHYPO

• In the Audience
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2008, 10:56:17 AM »
But in my view, if there is a prop mix up before game-play begins that reveals a money amount, the contestant gets that money amount because of a "production error." And a lesson is learned to be more careful in rehearsals and game preparation for the next playing. 

This is similar to at least once when Punchboard had a missing slip of paper that was not in the hole when the game was prepared.  Bob gave the contestant the $10,000 maximum grand prize and said, "There is one less hole puncher on this show."

I have to disagree.

In the case of PunchABunch, the contestant said (via punch), I want hole number 12 (or whatever). AFTER having made their choice, it is revealed that there is nothing in there. First of all, there may be no way for the show to know what slip was SUPPOSED to be in there (I doubt the staff write down a list of slip locations - they probably just shuffle the slips randomly and then stuff them from one side of the board to the other), as well as any replacement of slips looking like a potential game-rigging situation unless you showed every other slip to prove there were proper numbers (in Pass the Buck, it's only 6 spaces to show, which they usually DO (don't they?) but Drew didn't in this case - probably because the car was won.

I still think this is far more like the lady who picked up the shell in shell game. Bob chided her for having seen what was under there (even if that was her own fault, and this was the show's), but let play continue with her fully aware of the space. He even let her be dishonest and not put the ball by that shell when she tried to play honestly. To me, the show screwed up purely in the concealment factor here. They didn't put two $3,000 on the board or leave an empty space behind one of the numbers. Thus, if they covered the $3,000 back up, and played the game normally, the contestant would be at an advantage already, knowing a safe space, and could do with it what he wanted. There is no specific reason to advantage him even more by giving him free money and changing the way the game is played.

The situation to me is more like, if, in PunchAbunch, a hole was punched, but no slip was showing. All you do in my opinion is say "oops" and say that if they want to punch that slot, they can choose to do so. Similarly, if a hole was somehow punched, and you could see $1,000 sticking out of the hole, I would say that they have the option to make that slot any of their earned punches (best choice being the last as a safety net), or they can skip that hole if they want all four punches to try and find $10,000. I don't see any reason to change the rules to give them a free irrevocable hole when the game can still be played "fairly" with just a bit less suspense.

The issue is fairness (and the appearance to the audience of fairness). If I punch a hole and nothing is back there, that is unfair because who knows what should have been in that hole, and the contestant can claim that any substitute value is less than what "should" have been in the hole without showing the audience every other slip, which would be stupid to do on TV. Whereas if I know what's in a hole, it's still fair for me to make four punches with EXTRA information available to me of what's in one of the holes I could choose (or looking another way, knowing one of the holes where $10,000 isn't). If the slip showing happened to be a $50 slip, there would be no arguement. It's merely a reveal to the contestant one hole that has the worst possible option and no contestant would WANT to take that as one of their punches right? Same should apply to any higher value slip. You can take it as a punch it if you want, but you don't have to. Similarly, in Pass the Buck, I think you play the normal game with the added knowledge of what's under the 3. That's already an advantage for the contestant, which is the exact advantage they gained from the show's error. No reason to add extra advantage of gift money, one less space to make 3 picks from.

Offline TheHYPO

• In the Audience
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2008, 11:00:32 AM »
Showcases-Okay, I've been willing to give the showcases a chance, but that first showcase was utter crap.  I don't care if the hockey players were trying to get into character, you don't ask a contestant, "How would you like a punch in the face?"  That was absolutely uncalled for.  And that fight made no sense whatsoever.  Worst showcase ever, in my opinion.

I'm going to go out on a limb and presume that this was scripted for the guy. Let's not blame the player (or the sport) for the show's writing, shall we? ;)  That said, I had no issue with that line. Maybe a little crass, but come on people, did you really think he was being serious?

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2008, 12:31:04 PM »
In the case of PunchABunch...I doubt the staff write down a list of slip locations - they probably just shuffle the slips randomly and then stuff them from one side of the board to the other...

The backstage staff knows where the $5,000 and $10,000 (and now, $25,000) slips are located so they are prepared for the bells and flashing lights during a win.

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2008, 02:16:39 PM »
Game #39 (#6,960)

Showcase #1
LA Kings VIP Package - $2,000
Trip to Zurich ($6,350) with tickets ($1,300) - $7,650 total
Reinell - $19,670

Showcase #2
Wireless Reading Device - $359
Bedroom - $9,137
Snowmobile - $7,999

Total show prize value:  $122,575 (24 prizes)

Your Modeling Scorecard for November 12, 2008
Daily Records
High:  $93,216 (Nikki Ziering, 2001)
Low:  $13,424 (Rachel Reynolds, 2003)

Rachel Reynolds
November 12
Total dollars:  $49,252
($15,517 won, $33,735 lost)
Total prizes:  8 (5-3)
Cars, Trips:  0, 0

After 31 shows
Total dollars:  $1,831,741