Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 11/05/2008  (Read 32761 times)

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 11/05/2008
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 04:46:10 PM »
There's really no other way I can put this:  today's show sucked.

I'd like to develop your talent of being able to put things into few words. :)

That deal with the balloon Drew...amateurish.  Make a mention at the top of the act, then carry on the show.

Yes, I knew there was something I neglected to comment.  That was quite annoying.  I was questioning just how long he was going to keep that up.  Much too long, he did.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
Danger:  Boo... Fortune Hunter cue.

One-Bid #3:  Yay!  Life-sized Hans returns! :-D

MYMove:  Thanks a lot, audience.

One-Bid #4:  Balloon Drew hosting this segment was way too weird for me.  Amusing, but weird.

Bonky:  Russell played the game right.  It's just too bad his guesses weren't.  I had no idea that the number cards in this game were double-sided.  When Drew pulled out the stuck card and I saw that it had a 7 on, I thought the producers screwed up by putting a $7,000 price in a setup where the first wrong digit was 7.

Bucky:  Somehow, the stagehands should've caught that cover #3 was not on the board.  This might produce an interesting conference among the people at S&P.  But I don't think David minds not having the $3,000 "gift".  He ultimately won eight times that.

My showcase bids:
Hockey/boat--$30,007
Room/snowmobile--$15,107
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 05:02:39 PM »
I'm a hockey fan, and I would have liked to win the trip to the Worlds in Switzerland, but I didn't really care for the hockey showcase. Asking a contestant if he wants a punch in the face sounded dumb, and it reinforces the negative stereotype that hockey is all about fighting. Same with the players wrestling around the boat like a bunch of guys after high school lets out for the day. I know they did it that way because that's the way a lot of people see hockey, and that's too bad. At least they didn't have all the players eating fried chicken.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 05:06:46 PM »
And also, Drew, for cryin' out loud, stop recapping the prizes in the Showcases.  It's bad enough that you write that in the copy, but for you to go over what the prizes were yet again after that... it's way too repetitious, and if the contestants aren't paying attention to what's in the Showcase, then tell them to simply listen up to Rich's announcements and stop looking to the audience.

FWIW, it might be a good idea for Rich or somebody to tell the audience this before the cameras start rolling for the day.

Something like, "It is always a good idea to listen to the showcase copy and look at the items being offered, and not look at the audience at all. Pretend the audience doesn't exist. We know you're nervous and are always looking for advice from your entourage, but the more you pay attention to the showcases when they are being presented, the easier it is for everyone."

Brian

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 05:25:04 PM »
The announcer did say something like that when I attended. Rod told us to make up our own minds and not continually be looking in the audience and not paying attention. He added that no one wants to see the backs of contestants' heads asking for advice.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 05:29:47 PM »
Now, as far as the Pass the Buck situation, Joe pointed out the unfairness of taking away the $3,000 Drew "gave" to David; but I wasn't upset because David shouldn't have been given the $3,000 to begin with.  They could have worked it to a lesser-fair advantage but forcing him to have to actually choose the space if he wanted to get the money, knowing it was a safe pick, but taking away from a chance to find the car; but really, unless the number flew off the board seconds before it was revealed, I think they should have just stuck it back on there.  Heck, they could have stuck it back on during the car plug.  I'll bet there wasn't enough attention paid to the board to have noticed that there was a space already revealed.

Sorry, Nick, I disagree. The space is already revealed, and IMO that spoils the game. The fault was the show's, for either: 1. Failing to properly secure the game piece on the board, or 2. Not noticing the piece's absence before the giant price tag was raised. In this instance, since both points were ignored and they decided not to stop tape when this gaffe was noticed (late), David should have been given the benefit of the doubt and told the $3,000 was his, regardless of anything else that happened in the game.

It's no different than, say, in a classroom when a student accidentally (or intentionally) blurts out the answer on a test. Even though everyone does their own work, it is not fair to those who did or did not study to not be given credit for that answer. They now know the answer. As much as the teacher would hate to, I think he/she would be honorbound to award credit to the students ... except of course for the offender who would be immediately removed from the room and given a zero on the test.

Y'know, if I were David and had wound up a loser with my three proper picks and lost out on the $3,000 "gift" that should have been mine, I would be filing a lawsuit against Freemantle, CBS and Drew Carey (as the show's primary face; and yes, I'd throw the Drew T-shirt out too), demanding my winnings on the grounds I just gave.

Brian
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 05:33:46 PM by Briguy »

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 05:45:34 PM »
Now, as far as the Pass the Buck situation, Joe pointed out the unfairness of taking away the $3,000 Drew "gave" to David; but I wasn't upset because David shouldn't have been given the $3,000 to begin with.  They could have worked it to a lesser-fair advantage but forcing him to have to actually choose the space if he wanted to get the money, knowing it was a safe pick, but taking away from a chance to find the car;  ...

Wow, I agree with Nick on something? :P

You are 100% correct in this statement. It's not like they made him use up one of his picks if he wanted it. Even though he lost it anyway, David got the better end of the bargain. Heck, the fact that the cover fell off may have indirectly lead him to picking the car!

Quote from: Briguy
Y'know, if I were David and had wound up a loser with my three proper picks and lost out on the $3,000 "gift" that should have been mine, I would be filing a lawsuit against Freemantle, CBS and Drew Carey (as the show's primary face; and yes, I'd throw the Drew T-shirt out too), demanding my winnings on the grounds I just gave.

You would have absolutely no case.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 08:22:04 PM by Joe_Capitano »
Signatures are overrated.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 05:46:08 PM »
Sorry, Nick, I disagree. The space is already revealed, and IMO that spoils the game.

No, the game would have been spoiled if the car space had been revealed.  There wouldn't have been much they could have done about that.

The fault was the show's, for either: 1. Failing to properly secure the game piece on the board, or 2. Not noticing the piece's absence before the giant price tag was raised. In this instance, since both points were ignored and they decided not to stop tape when this gaffe was noticed (late)

This begs the question... does somebody still check the games right before the act begins just like Roger did?

It's no different than, say, in a classroom when a student accidentally (or intentionally) blurts out the answer on a test. Even though everyone does their own work, it is not fair to those who did or did not study to not be given credit for that answer. They now know the answer. As much as the teacher would hate to, I think he/she would be honorbound to award credit to the students ... except of course for the offender who would be immediately removed from the room and given a zero on the test.

Is that how things worked at your school?  Can't say I agree with that method.  If the answer is blurted, then the question should be thrown out, but that's getting off topic.

Yes, because you worked so hard to get that $3,000. :rollold:
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 06:01:56 PM »
The pass the buck thing...
If this was me...producing the show...i would have walked out on stage and polietly asked Drew for the mic.
Apologized to the contesant,fans in the studio and and home,for the mess,revealed where the car and five grand were anyway and said on the air i`m sorry and i quit.
End of story.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 06:02:20 PM »
Regarding my post saying the game being spoiled because the $3,000 space was revealed, Nick replied:
No, the game would have been spoiled if the car space had been revealed.  There wouldn't have been much they could have done about that.

Sure, the game definitely would have been spoiled had a car been revealed. But, even with one of the lesser prizes revealed, I still consider this "spoiling" the game; though not the most desirable prize, $3,000 is still a prize — and one not to be scoffed at. It would also have been spoiled if one of the other two money cards ... and definitely if either one of the Lose Everything cards were revealed (because you know where one of the undesirable cards are, and even though it would improve one contestant's odds of winning, it would be unfair to the next person who played the game).

Regarding my post about neglecting and failing to act when the prize space was uncovered, Nick replied:
This begs the question... does somebody still check the games right before the act begins just like Roger did?

Gee, what a great idea that is! Actually checking the game before it is brought out to be played, and then right before the Giant Price Tag goes up to reveal the set. Sarcasm aside, it is clear somebody dropped the ball here, and luckily the liability was limited to what David actually won. It could have been very, very costly, and the fingers could have been pointed at several people.

Long story short — If the producer/director doesn't check the games now as they were before, Standards and Practices will (or they had better, at least).

Regarding my example of the test cheater at school, Nick replied:
Is that how things worked at your school?  Can't say I agree with that method.  If the answer is blurted, then the question should be thrown out, but that's getting off topic.

Actually, no ... but to say anything more, you're right, that would be getting off-topic.

Regarding my comment about David possibly having grounds for legal action had the game outcome been different, Nick replied:

Yes, because you worked so hard to get that $3,000.  :roll:

See arguments above.

Look, I think all of us realize things happen beyond our control. Sets malfunction, answers are blurted out, the list goes on. Had today's Pass the Buck incident been isolated, I would not be going on about this nor defending my position so fiercely (sorry, Nick). But these goofs are beginning to happen too often now. Someone had better get some direction on things on TPiR ... and fast! Before something really bad happens.

Brian
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 06:09:36 PM by Briguy »

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 06:12:56 PM »
Sure, the game definitely would have been spoiled had a car been revealed. But, even with one of the lesser prizes revealed, I still consider this "spoiling" the game; though not the most desirable prize, $3,000 is still a prize — and one not to be scoffed at. It would also have been spoiled if one of the other two money cards ... and definitely if either one of the Lose Everything cards were revealed (because you know where one of the undesirable cards are, and even though it would improve one contestant's odds of winning, it would be unfair to the next person who played the game).

While all these things would affect the outcome of the game, I still wouldn't consider it "spoiled" because you still have to play the game in order to win the main prize.

Long story short — If the producer/director doesn't check the games now as they were before, Standards and Practices will (or they had better, at least).

They may still check them, but do they still check them right before taping resumes?  They could fly over it before the show starts saying, "Okay, that looks in order" only to miss an error coming out on air such as what happened today.

Regarding my comment about David possibly having grounds for legal action had the game outcome been different.  See arguments above.

As Todd said, you wouldn't have a case.

Look, I think all of us realize things happen beyond our control. Sets malfunction, answers are blurted out, the list goes on. But these goofs are beginning to happen too often now. Someone had better get some direction on things on TPiR ... and fast!

If they want direction and an end to goofs, all they have to do is rehire Roger.  Simple solution... you'd think they'd do it, but nope, they're insistent on running this show their own way, which is into the ground.
4. All prizes are good.

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 06:39:04 PM »
If they want direction and an end to goofs, all they have to do is rehire Roger. Simple, (and) you'd think they'd do it, but nope - they're insistent on running this show their own way, which is into the ground.

Into the ground, where they'll find a nice pink Cancellation Slip - the first time a variation will get one since 1995, when the Doug Davidson version was given one.
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline jj09

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 06:49:11 PM »
There's really no other way I can put this:  today's show sucked.

- Drew's entrance.  Not there the first time: funny.  Not there the 23rd time: fail.
- That deal with the balloon Drew...amateurish.  Make a mention at the top of the act, then carry on the show.
- The deal with Pass The Buck....he should have gotten the $3K regardless.
- As expected, the Drewcases sucked.

Approves, especially on the entrance and that god awful showcases.

Please tell me somebody has been to a taping and that they have fixed the showcase situation?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 08:23:15 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 07:14:19 PM »
I also did not agree with the situation in which David was not automatically given the $3,000 in Pass the Buck. The thing that confuses me is, if the car happened to be the one that was revealed already, would they have automatically given him the car or not since that is the main prize in the game?

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 07:20:11 PM »
While all these things would affect the outcome of the game, I still wouldn't consider it "spoiled" because you still have to play the game in order to win the main prize.

I guess "spoiling" the game is all a matter of how you see things. Someone might agree with you, in that the game is only spoiled if the answer leading to the most desirable prize (the car) is revealed. I say, even with the less-desirable prize (the $3,000 cash prize) revealed, it still gave David an advantage ... and he still "got something for nothing." He had fewer numbers to choose from and thus a better chance of winning. P.S., don't go into a spiel about odds; I've got a splitting headache as it is and don't want to go that far. Let's just say we both see things differently on this point.

They may still check them, but do they still check them right before taping resumes?  They could fly over it before the show starts saying, "Okay, that looks in order" only to miss an error coming out on air such as what happened today.

Checking the game prop right before taping resumes is EXACTLY what should have happened. Apparently, either: 1. This did not happen, or 2. It is still Freemantle policy to inspect props immediately before the Giant Price Tag goes up and someone really, really, REALLY dropped the ball. Sorry for the caps, but I this cannot be stressed enough that a game prop failure - as what happened here - could one day lead to liability.

As Todd said, you wouldn't have a case.

On what grounds?

If they want direction and an end to goofs, all they have to do is rehire Roger.  Simple solution... you'd think they'd do it, but nope, they're insistent on running this show their own way, which is into the ground.

Then why doesn't somebody swallow their pride and do the right thing then? I realize Roger won't be around forever, and we may never know the whole story surrounding the circumstances of his departure, but if things are going this badly - IMO, I didn't think it was that bad of a show, save for some of the shoddy production values - but I only look at things from a game standpoint and - unless it is something really noticable - I try not to focus on Drew Carey or his hosting qualities.

Brian

MOD NOTE: Brian, it's spelled FREMANTLE. With Two 'E's. Here's paper and a pen. Go sit in the corner and start writing that 10,000 times. - JC
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 08:27:14 PM by Joe_Capitano »