Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 11/06/2008  (Read 20766 times)

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 11/06/2008
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 05:38:40 PM »
I didn't think that plug for the cash was ever going to end.  Really, how much do they need to describe cash?!

Ebony and Cynthia were a lot of fun, so exciting about all.  Made for a great 1-2 punch at the start of the show!

The That's Too Much win was also awesome, mostly since Melody won by going against the loudly protesting audience.  Just gotta' love when that happens :).

Quote from: catdogwheel
I have to admit, I don't mind the alakazaam anymore, but drew should stop asking people to hold his hand when doing this because a contestant could think that Drew is gay. And I don't mean to sound rude, but someone could think that.

Sometimes it's better not to share your thoughts with the board.  You do mean to sound rude.  Otherwise you wouldn't have said it, and you shouldn't have said it, regardless of your intentions.

Seriously, let's drop this subject.  You too, Teddy.  It's completely inappropriate here.  Think before you post.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 05:46:47 PM »
Somebody really wasn't paying attention when putting together the small prizes in ½ Off.  There's making it easy, and there's making it too easy like it was today.  How would anybody using their brain have missed any of those half off prices?

Yeah, so, who really liked to see Drew shuffle around like an idiot during Flip Flop?  Can he not at least assume some authority and press the reveal button on the prop himself?

Speaking of Flip Flop, did anybody catch that the right price slipped down a bit after it was revealed?

Wow, Drew totally sucked Pocket ¢hange.  The entire envelope-checking process was so disorganised.  It hardly seemed like anybody was paying any attention to what was going on.

I ought to start watching contestants' eyes when they play pricing games for trips that are placed behind door number three.  See how soon they reveal the before announcing it, and see if there's any change in reaction on their face.

So, Drew advises contestants to listen to the audience, but rags on them that the contestant was better to not listen to them as what happened in That's too Much!... Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

I cannot believe Drew had the ignorance to say that the Showcases are "always good."  He knows how much we hate them under his writing.  He knows he's butchered that part of the show.  He knows people don't like it, but he's still so friggin' stuck up in arrogance to try to tease us by lying saying they're good.  Stop it, please.  Just stop it.  Save us all the trouble, Drew.

Okay, who besides me called it that the vehicle at the end of the first Showcase was not going to be a Chevrolet Monte Carlo?  Drew, your writing sucks.  Stop writing Showcases, please.  You know you've screwed up this part of the show royally.  Why can you not admit you just can't do it right and let Stan and Adam have the writing duties back?

I don't know if this is the first time it's been done (doubt it), but seriously, offering cash in a showcase seems like an awful idea.

They've offered cash in Showcases on occasion for years.  I've never seen anything bad about it.  Now, plugging the cash, that I have a big problem with.

When did Rich stop doing the Play at Home plugs?

Unless I've missed something, today was the first day.

I'll bet I know what Nick is going to say next: "Drew, don't ever say [alakazam] again in 1/2 Off!"

Why should I?  You just did for me.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 05:48:43 PM by Nick »
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 05:59:19 PM »
I have to go along with those who dislike the contestant going over to the car after one is won in a pricing game. I know it's not an earthshaking thing, but it looks better to me if the host and contestant remain in the same shot going to commercial.

I thought the plug for the cash in the Showcase was overdone. Just say "X dollars in cash!" and leave it at that. Going into a long winded spiel is unnecessary.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 06:05:39 PM »
I have to go along with those who dislike the contestant going over to the car after one is won in a pricing game. I know it's not an earthshaking thing, but it looks better to me if the host and contestant remain in the same shot going to commercial.

I wholeheartedly occur.  I used the whole "face shots" argument the other day, but really, it simply looks better for the contestant to be sent off towards the producers' table when going to commercial.

I thought the plug for the cash in the Showcase was overdone. Just say "X dollars in cash!" and leave it at that. Going into a long winded spiel is unnecessary.

Absolutely, but of course, Drew thinks plugging cash in an arrogant manner is funny.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 06:12:15 PM »
I still think it would be best to just let the contestant do whatever the contestant wants to do, be it jump in place, run randomly about the stage, or run over to the car.  I don't think they should be stopped from running over to the car--people did that in Bob's day too, let's remember--but I also agree that they should not be actively encouraged to run over, either.  Just let the contestant react without any prompting.  That's what I'd like to see.

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 06:15:05 PM »
I cannot believe Drew had the ignorance to say that the Showcases are "always good."  He knows how much we hate them under his writing.  He knows he's butchered that part of the show.  He knows people don't like it, but he's still so friggin' stuck up in arrogance to try to tease us by lying saying they're good.  Stop it, please.  Just stop it.  Save us all the trouble, Drew.

How do you figure? Today's show was taped back in early September, before we knew how bad the showcases had become and before we could respond to them by posting our disdain on this board. Assuming Drew has seen any of this, why would you say that he should know the majority of us don't like them when the show was taped before anything was said?

Online mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 06:15:49 PM »
I still think it would be best to just let the contestant do whatever the contestant wants to do, be it jump in place, run randomly about the stage, or run over to the car..

Amen!

I would have to agree about prompting the contestant though... that sounds like something you'd see on a cheesy game show hosted by Chuck Woolery. I wonder why the prompting started - its definitely a new thing for Drew. He certainly didn't prompt people last season to go run over to their car, and he didn't start doing it this season until a couple of weeks ago.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2008, 06:39:40 PM »
Well....at least today wasn't as bad as yesterday.

That setup for 1/2 as far as the SP's goes reminded me of that easy setup from Bonus Game a couple weeks back.

Well, Drew's handling of Pocket Change still stinks and I really don't expect him to improve in this department in the near future.

Knowing what we know now about the showcases I guess its safe to say that Drew's statement then of the showcases "always being good" was utterly and completely false. It's quite the opposite-they're pretty much always bad.

Why in the world did they go on about the $2000 in the Showcase? That was the most pointless rambling i've heard.

The highlight of the show was Melody's win in That's Too Much. Take that audience. :P Why is it when TTM is played earlier in the show a win doesn't feel as special as when it is played last?

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2008, 06:57:58 PM »
Okay, who besides me called it that the vehicle at the end of the first Showcase was not going to be a Chevrolet Monte Carlo?

(Raises hand and waves it around like an idiot) I did!  :roll:

And that's because GM stopped manufacturing the Chevrolet Monte Carlo after 2007.

Brian

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2008, 07:42:52 PM »
One-Bid #1:  Yay!  Half-Off cue! :P

Half:  I can't believe that Cynthia called the pedometer "the ear thing".

Pocket:  Yay!  This game finally showed up!  Picking 5 for the third number was dumb, and it cost him the car.  Had he not done that, the car would've been worth only $1.00.

Pappy:  Yay!  Temptation cue! :P

My showcase bids:
Trip/Jeep--$32,207
Room/HHR--$27,307
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline 88JRFAN

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 08:14:13 PM »
i have an interesting question. does half off still give $500 bonuses for a correct guess on the small prizes
HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!

Online Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 08:19:12 PM »
Yes, and remember Drew started that.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 11:04:16 PM by Joe_Capitano »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline 88JRFAN

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 08:24:06 PM »
thanx wayoshi. i havent watched TPiR in a while. and i thought they didnt offer the $500 bonus anymore
HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 10:06:35 PM »
1/2 Off:  Great job! :-D  Cynthia sure was a fun contestant.  On the first set of prizes (the fondue pot & the wireless headphones), I was like "There's no way in heck that fondue pot's $300!"
Flip Flop:  Good job! :-)  I thought flip flop on that one too.  Ebony was a fun contestant too.
Pocket Change:  Man, one less mistake and Philip would've had it! :-(
Double Prices:  Too bad! :-(
Pick A Pair:  Good job! :-)
That's Too Much:  Way to not listen to the peanut gallery, Melody! :-)  I think seeing a happy contestant at a car they just won is a nice scene to go to commercial with, Drew telling them to or not.
Showcases:  Cars in both showcases - cool! :-)  As for the plug for the cash - WE GET IT ALREADY!!!  MOVE ON!!!

Good show overall, IMHO. :-)
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 10:13:19 PM »
How do you figure? Today's show was taped back in early September, before we knew how bad the showcases had become and before we could respond to them by posting our disdain on this board. Assuming Drew has seen any of this, why would you say that he should know the majority of us don't like them when the show was taped before anything was said?

Hmmm... good point.  I didn't even think to check the tapedate.  I thought we were to the point where shows aired were taped after the first shows of the season were aired.  I'm guessing then the comment may have been spurred from some naysayers in audiences or even staff.  That or Drew may actually be aware that his Showcases suck.  Drew wouldn't have come out saying that the Showcases were "always good" if he didn't have a reason to think people weren't liking them.
4. All prizes are good.