Author Topic: No wonder the ratings are down...  (Read 8243 times)

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: No wonder the ratings are down...
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2008, 01:18:29 PM »
...And THAT'S why I despise Bob Barker, as well as responding to your comment.

You should never despise responding to another's comment. As far as Bob goes he was the face of the Price is Right for many years. Yes, Dennis, Tom and Doug and Bill hosted other versions but they sure were not identitified or as engrained in the minds of people with the show as Bob was.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2008, 05:11:01 PM »
Actually I did want to remind everyone too since we are now getting into the other Price hosts that failed,  Bob Barker replaced James on the 70's nighttime episodes in order to get ratings up. Audiences didn't buy it. I'm only saying that, even though Bob is the king of game shows, to remind everyone that he has had a couple of failed attempts at game shows. It took it awhile but Truth or Consequences failed after I believe an 18 year run with Barker, then that short-lived Simon Says, and as I mentioned the nighttime Price is Right.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2008, 05:40:41 PM »
...failed attempts at game shows. It took it awhile but Truth or Consequences failed after I believe an 18 year run with Barker

I don't think "failed" is the right word to use for any show that runs almost two decades. Sure, it was cancelled, but I don't see any way that ToC should be included in a list of "failed attempts at game shows."

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2008, 05:54:47 PM »
Even Mark Goodson agreed that as popular as any game show is, eventually, it begins to suffer from "viewer fatigue."

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2008, 06:27:59 PM »
Despise him or not, he made the show a success.  More than anyone else, Bob is the host who deserves to be remembered when people think of Price.

AMEN!!!!!!!

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2008, 08:18:40 PM »
I don't think "failed" is the right word to use for any show that runs almost two decades. Sure, it was cancelled, but I don't see any way that ToC should be included in a list of "failed attempts at game shows."

Actually once I read your post, I noticed how dumb my statement sounded. You have a point though. I should've said it more like times change and the viewers over time just lost interest. I even wonder what will happen to show's like Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy.

I have to be honest, I can actually see Drew being a good choice for Wheel of Fortune. He reminds me a little of Pat when it comes to humor. I don't know really of many who could replace Vanna other than Rachel Reynolds. Rachel always seems so cheery. 
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2008, 09:17:15 AM »
You should never despise responding to another's comment. As far as Bob goes he was the face of the Price is Right for many years. Yes, Dennis, Tom and Doug and Bill hosted other versions but they sure were not identified or as engrained in the minds of people with the show as Bob was.

One, Bill Cullen's version lasted nine years and, until about 1974, was identified as the host of Price. Everybody who watched NBC or ABC knew him!

Two, Dennis James would NOT have lasted five years if not for the fans!

Three, Tom Kennedy was given bad time slots, not to mention having to go up against Wheel Of Fortune and Jeopardy!

Four, Doug Davidson was just given a bad format, since apparently the old half-hour format wasn't going to work.

Actually I did want to remind everyone too since we are now getting into the other Price hosts that failed,  Bob Barker replaced James on the 70's nighttime episodes in order to get ratings up. Audiences didn't buy it.

Uh...huh. Dennis' contract EXPIRED in 1977, and besides that the downfall in ratings was due to the industry moving towards five-a-week shows.

I'm only saying that, even though Bob is the king of game shows, to remind everyone that he has had a couple of failed attempts at game shows. It took it awhile but around the time Truth Or Consequences ended he had that short-lived Simon Says and as I mentioned The Nighttime Price is Right.

Firstly, what about End Of The Rainbow, The Family Game (Chuck Barris), and That's My Line, huh? Three shows that failed horribly, and Bob certainly doesn't want to remember THOSE.

Second, Simon Says was an UNSOLD PILOT!

Third, as I mentioned before, Nighttime Price wasn't a failure as it lasted eight years (although the last one had only 27 episodes), three with Bob. As I said, the reason it vanished was because no stations were wanting to air a once-weekly show, now that programs such as Family Feud and The Hollywood Squares were beginning to air daily.

...And the first Syndicated series to air five-a-week? The Big Payoff, in 1962.
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.