Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR SPECIAL 11/14/2008  (Read 57909 times)

Offline pinball777

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR SPECIAL 11/14/2008
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 11:09:45 AM »
I noticed something else in that promo.....the quick shot at the begining, where the two models (I believe one of them was Rachel) were pushing Drew out from beind the big doors in a rowboat.....is it me, or is there a new "Barker Wall" to be introduced soon?

I'm looking at it and went frame by frame, it could be a new wall, but that thing is pretty big. It could be, or it could be used just for that opening as Drew is in a rowboat. At least we know check game will or has been won.

Back to the show, I liked it except I missed the first half. The only flaw with the contestant choices, if one side kept winning, it would ruin the show and have only navy or army or anyother branch only come on down.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 11:36:31 AM »
The promo is located here, with a link to view it in high quality.  And the thing behind it is one of the new prize backdrops.

I believe this is the first time in history that the TPIR host's entrance has not been accompanied by the main theme.

Overall, a very good show, and much more tolerable than daytime shows of late.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 11:50:27 AM »
I was disappointed in several ways with this show.  I expected much better for what they made into a primetime show.

That being said though, there were a couple of nice things, even historical.  This was the first time a first-run primetime episode of The Price Is Right was still divided into its usual ten segments.  Also, it's the first time since the series of military specials back in 2002 where the daytime consolation prize cue was used.

Because this was originally a daytime show, I was really hoping the opening wouldn't have been changed at all, making it the first time since 1986 a primetime Price Is Right had the same opening as the daytime Price Is Right; but unfortunately, my hopes were too high.  It was quite obvious the clip montage tacked onto the opening was added just for the primetime affair, which I don't understand why because it had nothing to do with the episode at all until the end where Rich segued it to the military audience.

The opening was especially a downer because the theme was not used anywhere during it.  That really took a lot of excitement out of the opening.

Yay for no car or cash game starting off the show!  I was very happy to see Switch?!.  It's too bad that's probably the last time we've seen that happen until purple wheel week.

With the way the contestant selection worked, I'm glad this didn't air as a regular daytime episode.  It did not feel like Price Is Right at all for the military groups to be in competition with each other like that.  Whoever's idea that was... it was a bad one.  Never make a competition out of the contestant selection again.

Also, I felt tacking the rankings of each person onto their calldown was a bit too much.  It made them unnecessarily long.

Further, it was nice to have the band, but was it really necessary for them to play into every commercial?  The theme was hardly heard in this show!

The Belgium trip in Freeze Frame had the dumbest plug for a trip I've ever seen.

Speaking of Freeze Frame, the split screen shot does not work in widescreen.  Something really needs to be fixed there.

"Stay in shape at home!" does not answer the question, "What's the next item up for bids?"

After Drew sent Samuel over to the truck he won in Card Game, why did he bother coming over to just toss the gift card envelope at him?  That didn't look very good at all.  He would have been better of having not tried to pass him the envelope that late in the game.

Drew was really off at the end of Race Game, which lead to a very awkward pause and delay before the theme kicked in.  There's really no reason why that should have happened.

The first Showcase looked promising at the start but quickly turned sour, and the second Showcase absolutely sucked yet again.  It's really too bad because I thought that with the military crowd and all the other effort that had been put into the various areas of the show, we might have had two decent Showcases.  Sad that it wasn't that way.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2008, 12:10:06 PM »
I saw regular people in the audience for the taping, but I'm guessing that they were told ahead of time that they have no chance to be called.  Does anybody know if the band was eligible?

Most of the One-Bids had "round" numbers, almost as if they were asking for someone to hit it on the head.

I was surprised at how difficult the grocery products were in LER.  I guess after Drew's last comment, Fingers decided to make it a bit harder to earn the three rolls.

I laughed when Brandi took out the two cubes after putting them in; she could have just put in one more.

What was up with the Belgium introduction?  Chocolate, and Jean-Claude Van Damme?

That range in Race Game was really pricey.  I thought the home theater system was the most expensive.

The contestants today were really good, and I was glad to see that each branch was properly represented.

The first showcase was normal!  It had a semi-theme! Looks to me like we are going to get a mixed bag from now on, with one Showcase and one Drewcase.

If you don't like to see negative comments about Drew's hosting, stop here.

He could privately root for the Marines, but the fact that he was outwardly saying that was unprofessional, in my opinion.

I assume that AAFES.com payed lots of money to be on the show, and the fact that Drew not only bungles the name in the beginning but he forgets to give the card to a couple of contestants is really unacceptable.  And the fact that he just tosses it into the car after he forgets.

He's continuing to push the contestants to the prizes after they win; it seems to work better when the contestants do it themselves, like Sgt Cruz.  

Drew didn't make it clear to SrA Callahan that had multiple chances in Race Game; nor did he demonstrate the jukebox and show him the way to pull the handle.

The one really positive thing Drew did was having this show in the first place.  It really was nice, but I thought it could have been a regular daytime show, unless you were going to up the prizes a bit more.  I know that this was to boost the ratings, but I would have rather seen them prepare an actual primetime show than to shove this one into the 9 PM slot.

And didn't the band leader look miserable being there?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 01:15:31 PM by Joe_Capitano »
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 12:13:10 PM »
I thought was a great addition to add the $1,000 gift certificate.  Something special to add to this special TPIR.  Although, I wish the plug for this was between Drew’s entrance and his throw to the first IUFB.

Switch?: I can’t believe Drew still tells the models to be careful when switching.  Maybe if one of us was to play Switch?, we should tell Drew not to say that.

Pre-IUFB #3:  Drew said since an Army member was on stage, so an Army member would come on down.  I know they guaranteed a member of each military branch would be able to come on down, but it just doesn’t seem right to replace an Army with an Army.  What if an Army was always on stage?   I believe there are 5 branches, and if Army always one, one branch wouldn’t be in Contestant’s Row.

IUFB #4:  Did Rich say “Stay in shape at home” (i.e. not even include the name of the IUFB in the introduction)?

Card Game: Drew made another not-so-good reveal.  Rather than trying to show anyone (other than him) the card, Drew should just read the ARP.  I did like it when Chad lifted up Brandi.

Squeeze Play:  I also said $9298.  Strange seeing the contestant remove the number instead of Drew.

Showcases: This host/announcer interaction has to stop.  Something that annoyed me more was when Rich asked Drew a question, Drew nodded, and Rich kept asking the question, or at least emphasizing it.

SC1:  My Bid: $25,315 / Diff: $10,929
SC2:  My Bid: $52,555 / Diff: $21,934

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 12:47:26 PM »
He could privately root for the Marines, but the fact that he was outwardly saying that was unprofessional, in my opinion.

No more than Barker having a soft spot for naval aviators. Drew is a former marine, afterall.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2008, 01:43:13 PM »
I saw regular people in the audience for the taping, but I'm guessing that they were told ahead of time that they have no chance to be called.  Does anybody know if the band was eligible?

The regulars in the audience were not regulars, per se. They allowed Disabled Veterans & servicemembers' family in the studio; they were probably not eligible, though.

And didn't the band leader look miserable being there?

Not really - he looked like a Marine doing his job.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 02:27:29 PM »
I noticed something else in that promo.....the quick shot at the begining, where the two models (I believe one of them was Rachel) were pushing Drew out from beind the big doors in a rowboat.....is it me, or is there a new "Barker Wall" to be introduced soon?

Not unless it's happened very recently -- last Friday's episode was taped last Monday.

Oh, and I agree with Nick -- that plug for the trip to Belgium was totally bizarre.  They really shouldn't try to make jokes out of those -- it just comes off as weird.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 02:45:40 PM »
The little clip of big wins (so far) this season may have looked like an obvious edit for primetime, but still a neat touch.

Rich's plug for the phone card after the 1st IUFB did look awkward. They should've let him do that before the showcase reveal.

I didn't notice the models pulling a rowboat with Drew in it in the new promo. Just another wild entrance. Whoopee-doo. :roll:

Choosing 24 instead of 9???!!!! :-o :-o :-o Outrageous and Unfair for those not picked.  :roll:

Now on to more positive things:

Switch?: No car or cash game first!!! That's a relief.  :-) I would've switched, too. Jacob and I thought alike.  :-D Good job.

Roll: WHAT??!!!  :-o :-o :-o Not expecting this one. Despite that, Great win for Deborah!!!!!

Freeze: Why should we give a hoot if Jean-Claude Van Damme comes from Belgium?  8-) $7362 was my choice. Too bad.

Card: Drew's reveal was kinda off but Brandon chose to stop at the right time and made me a little envious for doing something only I've been having daydreams about with my girl Brandi.  :-D :-D :-D :-D Good win.

Race: WHOA!!!! PERFECTO at its best!!!! Excellent!!!! :-D

Squeeze: Seeing Ashley pull the wrong number out was a nice touch and it brought her luck, too. Very good.  :-)

Showcases: While neither showcase didn't give us any brand of goofy humor (Thank God), The presentations of the prizes did seem a bit convoluted. Despite that, We got fairly decent and exciting showcases to boot. I bidded $71K on the Corvette showcase and around $28K on the Fusion showcase.

Since this was originally suppose to be a daytime show, I have to gite my daytime points.

A 4.25-star show.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 03:25:14 PM »
Looks like they had a great show last night! :-D  I didn't get to see it because I had to work, and I set up the VCR to record it, but I set it up for 8:00-9:00 p.m. instead of 9:00-10:00 p.m. (whoops!). :headbang:
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 04:33:57 PM »
That being said though, there were a couple of nice things, even historical.  This was the first time a first-run primetime episode of The Price Is Right was still divided into its usual ten segments.  Also, it's the first time since the series of military specials back in 2002 where the daytime consolation prize cue was used.
Wait...did you just say you were happy to see the show had more commercial breaks than it usually does in primetime?

Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 04:52:37 PM »
Wait...did you just say you were happy to see the show had more commercial breaks than it usually does in primetime?

Right you are.  TPIR's structure works best with a commercial break after every pricing game, after the Showcase Showdowns, and between the Showcase.  I don't like it when they lump pricing games into the same segment.  It makes the act too long, plus leads to longer individual commercial breaks; and that's no fun.  The only place of exception I like to see is no break between the last pricing game before a Showcase Showdown and the Showcase Showdown, but only because when they did this on the '86 specials, the transition was always done so neatly; and Bart would never recapture that as brilliantly as Marc Breslow did.

And I can't believe I neglected to mention the most historic event of last night's show.  It was the first time ever any primetime episode of The Price Is Right featured a ticket plug.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2008, 04:57:05 PM »
That's right- the ticket plug! Neat indeed for a primetime show. I have to add something to the plug discussion. I though it was neat that a phone number plug was given for ticket information, rather than the typical, "Go on CBS.com..." plug.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2008, 05:03:07 PM »
That's right- the ticket plug! Neat indeed for a primetime show.

Well, keep in mind that this was intended to be aired in daytime.  That being said, though, it doesn't really surprise me that they didn't edit it out considering the trouble they've been having in trying to fill audiences as of late.

I though it was neat that a phone number plug was given for ticket information, rather than the typical, "Go on CBS.com..." plug.

They starting doing that at some point last season.  Presently, it's in the late Wednesday tapings they do it in.
4. All prizes are good.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2008, 05:18:10 PM »
Checked the calandar: that is a Wedneday, so that makes sense.
I forgot that this show was originally to be aired Veteran's Day. I guess I jumped the gun a wee bit early! I was too excited...
Thanks for the corrections, Nick.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!