Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR SPECIAL 11/14/2008  (Read 57907 times)

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR SPECIAL 11/14/2008
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2008, 07:02:56 PM »
Samuel picking Brandi up out of the truck was great. Definitely a unique way to celebrate. :lol:

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Samuel
SHOW GRADE: 3

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2008, 09:09:50 PM »
I'm kind of surprised that no one here has pointed it out, but apparently there are some upset people over at the cbs.com Price forum board. They are accusing CBS and Price of forgetting the US Coast Guard. Is anyone able to shed some light as to why this might have happened?
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2008, 09:14:15 PM »
Because their little stunt of all-inclusive in One Bids would not have worked if they had the fifth branch?  Because it would have required Stan to interview another potential six contestants?  I have no idea.  I didn't even notice the Coast Guard wasn't involved.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 11:06:02 PM by Joe_Capitano »
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2008, 09:18:21 PM »
I didn't even notice the Coast Guard wasn't involved.

A lot of people don't even know the Coast Guard is considered the part of the "Armed Services".

As I pointed out over at the CBS forum, I think the real reason the Coast Guard was not involved was because the audience was coordinated through the Department of Defense's "Entertainment Media Division". CG is not part of the DoD, they're a part of DHS (Department of Homeland Security).
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline The Square

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2008, 09:53:16 PM »
I think I heard Rich say "Morning, Drew" at the beginning of the show. Kind of funny since the show ended up airing at night.

If they knew the next contestant was coming from the Army, then why was the camera pointed at the Marines when Rich called the name?

I liked that the colored strips around the doors were only changing between red, white and blue for this episode.

But overall, this is why I've scaled back on watching the show. I watched last Friday's show to see if anything had improved and tonight's show because it was special enough to air at night, but the thing that gets to me is that I can see the classic Price is Right buried in there. For every little thing that I see that reminds me of what makes the show special, there's something like the introduction of the home gym or the beginning of the Belgium description that drive home the fact that somebody there who's calling the shots, whether it's Drew or Syd or whoever, doesn't understand what does and doesn't work on this show, and they're trying to do all of these things. I'm sure that they think that they're improving the show with these changes, but so many of them just come off as random and confusing. Nobody at home truly thought that the first showcase was going to end with just the dining room and the video games. Why call so much attention to it? By doing so, they've simultaneously insulted themselves for looking like they forgot to end the showcase with something "good" and insulted the intelligence of the viewers for supposedly not realizing that there would be another prize in the showcase.

I feel the frustration of the people who might be considered to have a constantly negative opinion of the show. I can see what isn't working, and I believe that if they got rid of those things that aren't working, then the show would return to being the show that I used to love escaping to. But it's just no fun to watch the show even once a week and seeing the wasted potential.

I hate being such a downer. To end on a positive note, I'll say that I liked that they were saluting the military and I can even see what they were trying to go for by always having a person from each of the four branches in Contestants Row. Although the branch that wins the show is the branch that wins the showcase, not the branch that gets the most contestants onstage.  Having the band there was great, and I liked that the band played the appropriate music depending on which branch had a contestant onstage. I don't know that this felt like a nighttime episode, since it wasn't intended to be one, but overall, it did feel like a very special daytime episode.

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2008, 03:24:35 AM »
Best show of the year!!!  Lots of great wins, and the showcases were pretty decent too.  The only things that bothered me were the Belgium trip description and the home gym intro.  They were a little awkward for my taste.  All in all, very nice show.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2008, 09:42:50 AM »
CG is not part of the DoD, they're a part of DHS (Department of Homeland Security).
Huh.  I did not know that.  Were they a part of the DoD before 9/11 and the creation of the Homeland Security department?

(The more you know.)
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2008, 12:02:42 PM »
Nope! Before 9/11 and the creation of the DHS they were a part of... get this... the Department of the Treasury.

That was one of the biggest arguments for creating DHS, actually.
I'm a gif.

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2008, 12:24:41 PM »
Drew was really off at the end of Race Game, which lead to a very awkward pause and delay before the theme kicked in.  There's really no reason why that should have happened.

You can't blame Drew for that. The jukebox and the prices list were set up way too close to each other, leading to one of the most awkward reveals I've ever seen in Race Game.

One thing you can blame Drew for, however, was that Card Game reveal. That was a unique way, but it just did not work.

Other than that, I thought Drew did an excellent job and that this was one of the best shows this season.
Signatures are overrated.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2008, 12:42:05 PM »
You can't blame Drew for that. The jukebox and the prices list were set up way too close to each other, leading to one of the most awkward reveals I've ever seen in Race Game.

Drew should have made sure that the prices stand was not so close to the jukebox.  I don't think that's expecting too much of him to do that.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2008, 12:42:32 PM »
Drew should have made sure that the prices stand was not so close to the jukebox.  I don't think that's expecting too much of him to do that.

Drew shouldn't have to do that. He's the host, not the producer.
Signatures are overrated.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2008, 12:53:58 PM »
Drew shouldn't have to do that. He's the host, not the producer.

You honesty think that just because Drew may not be the producer, he shouldn't have to move the stand out of the way when he's standing right there?  You really think the job should be placed on somebody else just because they carry a certain title?

Besides, Drew may not be the producer, but we have seen how in his place he's been affecting the show when he really shouldn't have the rights.
4. All prizes are good.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2008, 12:55:38 PM »
You honesty think that just because Drew may not be the producer, he shouldn't have to move the stand out of the way when he's standing right there?

Seriously, Nick? You're just stretching things now to fit your narrow point of view.

The stand was placed there by the stage hands. He may or may not know if its a mistake, or a change in direction, and may be reluctant to move the stand because of that. So, you work around it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 12:59:48 PM by mrbrown2195 »
I'm a gif.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2008, 01:45:41 PM »
Seriously, Nick? You're just stretching things now to fit your narrow point of view.

I do not have a narrow point of view, and I am not stretching things to fit anything.  I asked a sensible question.

The stand was placed there by the stage hands. He may or may not know if its a mistake, or a change in direction, and may be reluctant to move the stand because of that. So, you work around it.

I would hope that with the length of time Drew's been hosting the show now, he would know where the props need to be placed in Race Game, and that the path of the contestant must be clear of the price tags stand.  He should have no hesitation about moving it when it's clearly in the way as it was.
4. All prizes are good.

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2008, 02:18:15 PM »

Sort of reminds me of the time in which the Double Prices prop was in the middle of the stage and the prize was behind door number 2. They worked around that.

Also, I believe Carlos has a clip of a 1994 playing of Race Game in which the prop was not in place at first, but was moved into position during the description of the prizes.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 02:20:39 PM by wink87 »