Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 11/26/2008  (Read 65917 times)

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 11/26/2008
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 04:34:04 PM »
I didn't see any of the show today up until the showcases (I slept in).  

SC2 - Standard.  I still don't like the recaps, but I'm not gonna cry over it.

SC1 - Incredible showcase until Rich came out with the whole pregnant thing.  I knew he was going to be in a dress sometime this season, but this was just too weird for me.  If Rich is going to be in a dress, he should go all out with a wig and makeup and etc.  THAT could be funny.  Also this showcase started abruptly.  I would have been better if Rich stared out with something like, "This showcase features prizes revealed as we visit with 'The Young and the Restless.'"

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 04:35:30 PM »

its been a really good week in my opinion :-)

Yep pretty good.

Just wish there were more winners today! If there were than this would probably have been the best episode this season.

Offline Enzo Aquarius

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 04:40:51 PM »
A great show! I caught the last half, but from what I saw, it was very good.

Stack the Deck - Choosing the 1st digit ruined her chances of winning. Don't listen to the Peanut Gallery!

Side-By-Side - Woohoo! Bill Cullen acknowledgement! Amazing contestant who got us the only win of the episode, although the game reveal was sudden, the overall playing of it and the contestant herself made it a great segment.

Clock Game - She got pretty flustered near the end, and I think it reflected on Drew as well. If Drew bolted in when she started going higher in the last few seconds, she probably would've got it, or got confused.  :lol:

Showcase 1 - This was an amazing showcase. Although the plot confused me at first, it made sense overall and was a great parody of themes shown in soaps. The prizes were also added into the storyline well, especially the car. I laughed when Rich came out pregnant (he must've had quadruplets in there.   :hammer: ). Although some say this part wasn't the best, I think it reflects the major plot twists that can occur in a soap opera.

Overall, from what I've seen, this was an amazing show, despite it being a one-win episode. It was the chemistry, the great line-up, and that amazing showcase at the end that made it work well.

CSS 2008/2009 Note-Worthy Stats - 1 QSW - 5 DSW - 23 Top-5 Wins - Top One-Day Winnings: $204,648
CSS 2007/2008 Note-Worthy Stats - 9 DSW - 37 Top-5 Wins - 3 EXACTAS! - Top One-Day Winnings: $83,874. 

A Proud Member of Team GRRR!

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 04:53:39 PM »
I know some will knock the ending of the first Showcase, but hey, Rich had fun coming out and revealing the "pregnant man." And ... egad, the models can act AS WELL AS speak. Give it time, and we might see more of these "act it out" showcases ... so long as they are reasonably well put together.

As an aside, this is one day I really wanted to see a double showcase winner. I mean, a new Chevrolet Impala, a bedroom set and a hovercraft all won as a single prize package would really kick butt!

Parody of the day has to do with Clock Game.

Edith ... hey Edith! (yays, Awch-ee!), youse forgot one simple rule in Clock Game! (What's that, Awch-ee?) Well, youse don't repeat none of them prices you already said. That cost you them skiis for the Little Goil and the Meathead! They'd been bugging me for ski equipment, but I's ain't gonna buy them none because the Meathead won't work! (Aw! I tried the best I can. At least that nice man who hosted was real nice even though I lost.) Whoop-dee-doo! I'm sure that Nick fella will say something about that, and I'm afraid I can't shuts him up because he always gonna refute me (That's rebut me, Awchee!) Whatever, Edith!

Brian

Offline mikebev25

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 04:54:50 PM »
Great show today. Great lineup. Great showcases.

A few notes:

It was particularly nice to see 241 and Take 2 again, along with Cliffy for a car.

Ah yes, no car/cash game first once again. Don't get me wrong, those games first aren't all bad, I just don't want to see them there every day.

Tough setup on Take 2 IMO.

Drew really needs to loosen up in Clock Game, but that second price was one of the Bullseye I type.

Stack the Deck: Never pick the first number! To me, the GP portion on that seemed easier than usual today, but I could see where someone may go off.

I would have lost SBS.

I think a better second half order would have been Clock 4th, Stack 5th, and SBS 6th. Better flow that way IMO.

The Hovercraft showcase was quite a bit more than I thought.

Oh almost forgot, great to hear the Bill Cullen reference.
Retired Games that should be brought back:
Barker's Bargain Bar, Buy or Sell, Superball!, Super Saver, Split Decision, Give or Keep, Hurdles, Penny Ante, Walk of Fame

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 04:57:26 PM »
Edith ... hey Edith! (yays, Awch-ee!), youse forgot one simple rule in Clock Game! (What's that, Awch-ee?) Well, youse don't repeat none of them prices you already said. That cost you them skiis for the Little Goil and the Meathead! They'd ... Whatever, Edith!

lol that was great  :-D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 07:37:18 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 04:59:34 PM »
Edith ... hey Edith!
That was Laura.

Also, are we SURE that wasn't a green screen?
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 05:03:03 PM »
The more times I see Clock Game, the more I think Drew causes the contestants to lose some of the time.  He is not calm and cool.   His voice changes make the contestants more nervous.  This has to be fixed or we can probably add Clock Game to the "endangered" list

SC1 - I have mixed feelings on this.  It was so different than the traditional SC that is was good in a way.   However, I don't want to be watching "acting" in the SC every day.  If they do this every day, it is going to get old very quick.  

Rich in a dress???   Anyone else have a bad feeling about this Valentine's Day show now?   I have a terrible picture of Drew in a cupid costume.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 05:07:12 PM »
That was Laura.

Also, are we SURE that wasn't a green screen?
See pic above.

I forgot to say that in my review. They are getting better with the green screens (but I still want to see the skins back).

Don't know who mistaken it with a skin in the thread but yeah it was a green screen.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 06:16:10 PM by temptation1979ga »

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 05:24:15 PM »
Whoo hoo no car/cash game for a THIRD day in a row!!! As I said yesterday I thought that was an impossibility now.

2 For the Price of One isn't a bad way to start a show.

I said yesterday's lineup was the best thus far, today's came pretty close. I mean you have Cliffy as the only car game of the 1st half (and that being a non-car/sp game!), Take Two right behind it, Side by Side 5TH instead of 6TH and Clock Game LAST. How cool is that.

Speaking of Clock Game, well, all I can say Drew did not help things in any way, shape or form here.

Showcases: ...**sigh**

I'm going to close by saying  that at least we still get good lineups every once in a while like today's.

Offline SolairWright

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 05:27:34 PM »
2 for the Price of 1: She should have gone on my instincts. $650 instead of $390 was the price.

Cliff Hangers: I laughed hysterically when the poor mountain climber fell off. $45 should've been the price.

Take Two: Again, contestant should've gone with my instincts.

Stack: Never ask for the first number...always go 2, 3, 4.

Side: I thought for sure I'd see "SORRY $7985" light up. That was a nice surprise.

Clock Game: She missed the second prize by $1. I heard 14 at the VERY last possible second.

Showcases: The first showcase was odd, but funny.

I'm going to give this show an 8/10. Horrible strategy on "Stack" decked her and Cliff Hangers' would have been won had she said $45. 2for1 and Take Two had evil price setups.
"A friend is one who has the same enemies as you have." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 05:39:27 PM »
HAPPY THANKSGIVING, YOU TURKEYS!!!
(belatedly to Nick, since he already had his fill of turkey 6 weeks ago)

Man, I would really love to make a comment on this...

241:  Holy crap!  An art card for a trip!  I thought those things were extinct.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but this may be the first time that a contestant has changed a price in this game.

Cliffy:  Always great to see this game played for a car.  Not so great to see when what should be a forced win turns into the epic fail of the year.  I thought Kimberly had this game in the bag after nailing the bobbing cooler... but then she comes off with a dumb guess of $25 on the last prize.

T2:  Yay!  Take Two! :P

Stacky:  Nakita, Nakita, Nakita... why did you pick the first number as a free digit?  That was dumber than... well, saying that a Mustang is $29,000.

One-Bid #5:  WHOO Bill Cullen reference!

Sidey:  Take that, Peanut Gallery!

Clocky:  Well, Laura played it great... but she screwed herself when she didn't wait for Drew to say "LOWER" after she said $1,915.

Odd second-half lineup today--Stacky 4th, Sidey 5th, Clocky 6th.

SC #1:  Now that was a great showcase!  It made me cry... it made me laugh... it had Rich Fields in drag and preggie!  Definite candidate for "Showcase of the Year".

My showcase bids:
Car--$25,507
Room/hovercraft--$21,007
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Steve_Bier

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 06:04:45 PM »
Can't really add any more than what's already been added........great show for once!!!!! And showcase # 1 made me laugh so hard, I scared my dog!!! Beautiful job!

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2008, 06:09:01 PM »
I don't care whether or not you know the "ascending order" price trick in Cliff Hangers.  $25 was a really lousy guess for the lantern.  She'd have won if she tought out her guess a little more.  Since she could miss it by $23, she'd have won if the price was anywhere from $2 to $48.  Why waste the lower range like that?  That lantern was not going to be $2.  And yes, I know she didn't think about that, and I know most contestants probably don't, but they're no reason they shouldn't.

Laura played Clock Game decently.  I'd hardly say "great."  Just better than everyone else since the rule change.  Her jumping straight to $1915 inexplicably was not her only questionable play, though.  Least she could've realistically won.

I really liked the Young and the Restless showcase.  Probably would've been cooler if they'd chosen a couple of more iconic characters--guess they wanted to shoot younger than Victor and Nikki--but it was genuinely funny, and well written.  Seemed similar to the kind of silliness of the actual classic showcases of decades passed by.  I could've done without pregnant Rich at the end, though.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2008, 06:22:48 PM »
HAPPY THANKSGIVING, YOU TURKEYS!!!  (belatedly to Nick, since he already had his fill of turkey 6 weeks ago)

Heh, thanks, it's amazing... I was pretty much off this board for a year, yet I'm still quite recognised for whatever reason, or maybe it's because I'm vocal about how much I'm against the changes of the show.  Anyhoo...

The sight of the trip skin in 2 for the Price of 1 was beauty to my eyes.  How I long for them to be used in full scale again.  At least next week we'll see them, though I'd really like it if the show would simply dump the green screens.  I'm sure Bart himself would have to admit directing with that trip skin in 2 for the Price of 1 today was easier than any time using a green screen in any game.

I really wish Drew wouldn't dance around while the mountain climber climbs the mountain in Cliff Hangers, especially if it's because he's "so sure" of a win.  He handled that loss and toss to commercial very poorly.

Anybody else catch the jump in the theme during the ticket plug?

Drew has to stop letting contestants change their mind based on every whim of the audience.  First Jane in 2 for the Price of 1 then Nakita in Stack the Deck.  Thankfully neither case affected the outcome of the game.  If contestants can't decide for themselves, then they plainly just don't make for good contestants.

Edith's shirt was nice, but there's something about making a deal of remembering Bill Cullen yet forgetting Dennis James and Tom Kennedy that makes the effort seem unimpressive.

Drew totally shouldn't have been allowed to get away with the hinting he gave Laura in Clock Game.  It was simply unfair as he pretty much implied to her she had to bid one dollar lower.  Simply not proper at all.  The host isn't allowed to help the contestant win.  He must remain neutral, and Drew just plain didn't.

The first Showcase was written even worse than the soap opera those two characters came from.  An introduction would have helped it greatly, but the whole theme being based around who was describing the prizes was just plain dumb, and Rich... gosh, I did not need to see that.  That was absolutely asinine.

I'm glad we're done for the week, and especially when we're on our way to the big purple wheel of salvation.  It's going to be the best week of the season by far.  Bring it on.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.