Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 11/26/2008  (Read 65905 times)

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 11/26/2008
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2008, 06:28:25 PM »
the whole theme being based around who was describing the prizes
How in the world was that the theme? It was a parody on how crazy plot twists can be in soap operas, with the prizes interrupting (the music cues signaling that). They talking about that "voice in the air" is another part of that, adding to the ludicrousness.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2008, 06:30:35 PM »
Edith's shirt was nice, but there's something about making a deal of remembering Bill Cullen yet forgetting Dennis James and Tom Kennedy that makes the effort seem unimpressive.

Perhaps she never heard of or never saw the nighttime show?
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2008, 06:42:09 PM »
How in the world was that the theme? It was a parody on how crazy plot twists can be in soap operas, with the prizes interrupting (the music cues signaling that). They talking about that "voice in the air" is another part of that, adding to the ludicrousness.

Well, it was the only sort of theme I could pick out of it, as it was the only thing that lead between the prizes.  I didn't find it much better than any of Drew's "I know what you, the contestant, is thinking" Showcases.

Perhaps she never heard of or never saw the nighttime show?

I doubt she ever saw the Cullen versions when they originally aired.  She didn't look aged enough to have been around during their existence.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2008, 06:51:55 PM »
Maybe she watched them with her parents when she was a kid???
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 07:46:17 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
I said she didn't look aged enough to have been around during their existence.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 07:44:07 PM by Joe_Capitano »
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2008, 06:58:14 PM »
I'm just saying that she doesn't have to currently be 80+ years old to have seen them when they aired. She looked like she was in her 50's.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 07:44:22 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2008, 07:00:25 PM »
True, but she didn't appear to me to have even been aged enough that she could have seen them very young at the end of the run.  Maybe she saw it since their cancellations, but that doesn't explain how she overlooked the James and Kennedy versions.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 07:44:36 PM by Joe_Capitano »
4. All prizes are good.

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2008, 07:03:48 PM »

MOD NOTE: How the moderator feels with all the unnecessary quoting. Watch it, boys. - JC

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 07:45:53 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2008, 07:42:34 PM »
...are we SURE that wasn't a green screen?

Most definitely. If they were greenscreening it the camera shots, both near and far, would have remained stationary.

Heh, thanks, it's amazing... I was pretty much off this board for a year, yet I'm still quite recognised for whatever reason, or maybe it's because I'm vocal about how much I'm against the changes of the show.  Anyhoo..

I remembered you're Canadian, hence the six week reference. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 07:55:44 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2008, 07:58:06 PM »
It honestly looked like it was a green screen to me. The image looked too real...

Offline saturn93

• In the Audience
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2008, 08:06:36 PM »
Today sure was an interesting way to go to the long weekend.  It had a bit of everything.

Couple of tough losses.  If only Kimberly had the first one exactly right.

Nice tribute to the three generations of TPIR hosts by Edith.  I'm only 33 and have seen the Cullen version a few times on GSN.

Now, to Showcase 1.  This was actually one that I liked.  When they had that the Y&R stars were going to be on the show, I thought "probably like last week...walk-on, taken from studio to make-up room, etc."  However, it was actually fun.  I think I am the only one who ever thought about it, but I like the cold open, meaning that the beginning of the showcase did not start with Rich talking (see the couple of times earlier in the year when the models were talking).  It was nice to hear all involved (for Amber, I'm sure it was her first time speaking on the show).   Also, for probably the first time this year, I was actually laughing with Drew after the showcase ended.  Rich (actually walking with a microphone instead of by his podium with the headphones on during the showcase) with the dress on was the icing on the cake.  Usually after the reveal, I fast-forward the end to the very end, but I had to stay with it to laugh at Rich again.

Showcase 2...Actually normal with no frills.

Now, after the NFL, college football, Thanksgiving, and the long weekend...bring in the purple wheel.  However, I have the feeling that today's SC1 was a treat, but next week, we will be back to the weird unsensical showcases that we know and love...or despise.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2008, 08:11:49 PM »
Quote from: Nick
Edith's shirt was nice, but there's something about making a deal of remembering Bill Cullen yet forgetting Dennis James and Tom Kennedy that makes the effort seem unimpressive.

Might as well have complained about forgetting Doug Davidson too.  Dennis James and Tom Kennedy were relatively unimportant to The Price is Right.  Bill Cullen and Bob Barker were not.  I fail to see the problem.

...actually, considering the first showcase, mentioning Doug Davidson would've been appropriate :oldlol:!

Offline Enzo Aquarius

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2008, 08:29:26 PM »
True, but she didn't appear to me to have even been aged enough that she could have seen them very young at the end of the run.  Maybe she saw it since their cancellations, but that doesn't explain how she overlooked the James and Kennedy versions.

It's just a shirt, and not everybody's perfect, she's Human afterall. Her shirt, her rules. :-P If she wanted to be perfect, she would've also put every single person involved in TPiR since it started from day 1. In all honesty, that would be a pretty dang amazing feat. :hammer:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 08:31:12 PM by Enzo Aquarius »
CSS 2008/2009 Note-Worthy Stats - 1 QSW - 5 DSW - 23 Top-5 Wins - Top One-Day Winnings: $204,648
CSS 2007/2008 Note-Worthy Stats - 9 DSW - 37 Top-5 Wins - 3 EXACTAS! - Top One-Day Winnings: $83,874. 

A Proud Member of Team GRRR!

Offline uion1715

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2008, 08:50:02 PM »

The first Showcase was written even worse than the soap opera those two characters came from.  An introduction would have helped it greatly, but the whole theme being based around who was describing the prizes was just plain dumb, and Rich... gosh, I did not need to see that.  That was absolutely asinine.

In the chat, we said "Nick will going to complain about showcase # 1" and it well... was true...

Hey, Nick, BTW, Don't you notice that this is parody of the soap opera?

EDIT: Bill Cullen was important to The Price is Right... (Well, because without Bill, we wouldn't even have The Price is Right we have right now!) but not Tom Kennedy and Dennis James (Yes, I do love both hosts but they didn't affect the history of the show whatsoever)...

and if a contestant have to mention every host... I believe you will criticise he/she because he/she didn't mention "Dob" and "Fingers..."

Drew totally shouldn't have been allowed to get away with the hinting he gave Laura in Clock Game.  It was simply unfair as he pretty much implied to her she had to bid one dollar lower.  Simply not proper at all.  The host isn't allowed to help the contestant win.  He must remain neutral, and Drew just plain didn't.

Well, Drew didn't said "lower" right away when she said something like "1915" so I guess that evens it up  :-)

Drew has to stop letting contestants change their mind based on every whim of the audience.  First Jane in 2 for the Price of 1 then Nakita in Stack the Deck.  Thankfully neither case affected the outcome of the game.  If contestants can't decide for themselves, then they plainly just don't make for good contestants.

When is the last time I agreed with Nick? Well... I'll say Nick, you're so right on this one.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 08:56:10 PM by uion1715 »
Maybe changes "were" bad...

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2008, 09:36:20 PM »
It honestly looked like it was a green screen to me. The image looked too real...

Um, since when does a green screen look real?  The outlines of the models always look digitized when they're being chroma-keyed. 

A real picture of a trip in the studio looks the most real because it is...  "real."

(No disrespect meant Bgamer90, I'm just being a little sarcastic)   ;)

Contestant - May 2, 2003 and played One Right Price - Won trips to Montreal and Mazatlan!