Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 11/26/2008  (Read 65682 times)

Offline sportsbrain09

• Outside in Line
    • My YouTube page
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 11/26/2008
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2008, 11:51:45 AM »
Drew is still Drew, I thought he was going to nuts after watching his reaction to the Clock Game loss. I still believe that game is winnable, by the way.

The soap opera showcase featuring Y&R actors was the best showcase I've seen all year. The prizes weren't randomly thrown together (cameras and computers almost go hand-in-hand) and flowed with the theme. A pregnant Rich in a dress was a little over the top, but I still laughed up a storm.

However, I do agree that they're overusing Rich. Not even Rod or Johnny had to be in a showcase every day. I think the next step for the production staff is to treat Rich like someone SHOULD treat alcohol: as a resource that can be enjoyed in moderation.

Some poor choices by contestants really mucked up yesterday's show. What can you do? They're certainly not selected based on their knowledge of prices of prizes alone, lol.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2008, 01:42:31 PM »
I agree...the show is over-doing the use of Rich.  He just comes off as a goofy guy that's trying to be funny but is embarrassingly not funny.  He seems to have no shame anymore.   He has lost all the class that he used to have with being associated with TPIR and I miss the Rich I used to only hear, but at least I imagined him to be a more dignified and classy person.
So for 5 years, everyone has complained about Rod being not shown, and announcers not being shown on TV.  And, now, Rich is being shown too much?

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2008, 02:32:37 PM »
No, he's being involved in Showcases too much, which a case really shouldn't exist except Drew has yet to put Rich in a Showcase portraying him a positive way.  Every time it has happened, it's always done in a way that makes Rich look stupid.  Further, this was not the kind of announcer exposure most of us were wanting regained.  It's watching the announcer call the last name of the day, which I don't understand why it hasn't been reinstated.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 12:18:15 AM by Joe_Capitano »
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline uion1715

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2008, 02:42:36 PM »
I'm really guessing on this, but I think it's because Fremantle (Dismantle) won't let the staff to it...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 12:18:34 AM by Joe_Capitano »
Maybe changes "were" bad...

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2008, 02:44:08 PM »
Why wouldn't they?  It's apparently not a salary issue for Rich to be shown on camera anymore.  Why not take a step of making a good change by bringing back something that used to be a mark on the show?  I'll bet nobody's ever thought to do it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 12:18:50 AM by Joe_Capitano »
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2008, 02:45:17 PM »
Maybe Bart has some aversion to reinstating the practice?
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2008, 04:11:18 PM »
I wish Drew would understand that Cliff Hangers losses -- especially obvious ones -- are fun.  Frankly, Kimberly didn't deserve to win that car after making such a horrendous bid.

Yay!  Take Two!

Is it just me, or have there been a lot of really bad Stack the Deck players lately?  Not that it was an easy setup -- but jeez, why would you ask for the first number?!

Speaking of Stack the Deck...how did they get that bottle of Purex?  I don't think they even sell that size anymore -- all the laundry detergents are supposed to be going to concentrated sizes.

Drew referring to one of the models as "Vanna" really rubbed me the wrong way.  The Barker's Beauties predate Vanna White by a good decade -- hell, when she was just a lowly participant in Contestants' Row, Janice had already been doing her thing for eight years!

Laura probably would have won Clock Game if she hadn't gotten all flustered around $2,000 -- she was playing fairly well up to that point.  (Of course, Forrest also makes a good point, noting that Drew just doesn't host it very well.)

The soap opera showcase was actually good -- although it bugged me a little that outside of participating in that skit, there was no reason for Greg Rikaart and Emily O'Brien to be there.

[The thing in 2 for the Price of 1] honestly looked like it was a green screen to me. The image looked too real...

With all due respect, that really has nothing to do with how a green screen works.  Heck, if they wanted to, they could show the trip skins on the green screens.

By real I meant it look like something an artist couldn't have done.

They probably just printed a screencap of a video.

I thought today's TPIR was THE most poorly executed show of the 37th season. I'm glad I didn't watch it, because I felt the contestants made way too many mistakes. Drew Carey really oughta remind the contestants to keep their mistakes to a minimum, and maybe they'll win something really good.

1.)  If you didn't watch the show, you have no business talking about how well or poorly it was executed.

2.)  Your comments about reminding contestants not to make mistakes are as asinine this year as they were last year.

So for 5 years, everyone has complained about Rod being not shown, and announcers not being shown on TV.  And, now, Rich is being shown too much?

I don't think the problem is that he's being shown too much...I think it's that every time he is shown, he ends up making an ass of himself.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Drewfan2008

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2008, 05:36:21 PM »
Edith's shirt was nice, but there's something about making a deal of remembering Bill Cullen yet forgetting Dennis James and Tom Kennedy that makes the effort seem unimpressive.
Any mention of Bill Cullen on Price is a plus to me.

Offline WhammyPower788

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • I'm on a horse.
    • Game Show Videos
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2008, 07:43:00 AM »
Are we SURE that wasn't a green screen?

I do believe the camera zoomed in on the model just before the transition to full-screen graphics.  I believe that would then imply trip skin, but if you (or anyone else) can get a screencap of that, we'll know for sure.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 01:38:05 PM by Joe_Capitano »
Visit GameShowVideos.com for lots of game show clips!

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2008, 12:39:53 PM »
I don't think the problem is that [Rich] is being shown too much...I think it's that every time he is shown, he ends up making an ass of himself.

I could post quite a few things for the "Joe Plinkos do notice" file from that statement. I've had several people say something along the lines of Rich being such a handsome man and how they always wished he was on camera more than just the last few seconds of the show when Bob was hosting, but now, they feel sorry for him because he's always shown doing something idiotic, and they'd much rather see 'handsome, normal' Rich than him doing something stupid.

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2008, 01:47:24 PM »
(Regarding the trip display) ... but if you (or anyone else) can get a screencap of that, we'll know for sure.

Go to Wayoshi's original post on page 2 of this thread. (In fact, you had quoted it, but we don't quote images here).

It is definitely a "skin," though not in the traditional sense of a painted background. And, if that were greenscreen, neither camera would not be zooming in on anything - or shouldn't be, absent a camera switch.

Offline jfresh23

• In the Audience
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2008, 11:59:09 PM »
what date todays show was on?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2008, 03:27:13 AM »
Um...today? :?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 11:46:37 AM by Joe_Capitano »
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2008, 10:39:02 AM »
Steve, I feel he was wondering about the original airdate and/or taping date of Friday's show. I don't know this, but I bet you would.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2008, 11:49:27 AM »
For that he can refer to the list on cbs.com. This is the recap thread.