Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/04/2008  (Read 14254 times)

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/04/2008
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 05:03:40 PM »
Brian may have been peer pressured into a stupid bid (which Drew I guess forgot there was a bid twice as much as that), but he ended up being Youtube-worthy with great gameplay, and I doubt he was going to go 420, 777, and/or -69, so I'm not going to rant on him that bad.

Meanwhile...what a great show! 6135 - 960 = $5175, 6135 - 690 = $5445. For a spa, both look reasonable, so that was an understandable loss. Closest SC difference in the Drew era, I think, too.

A :)
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 06:12:58 PM »
I wish a lot of you wouldn't rag on That's Too Much. It's one of the best car games on the show and yes it is challenging, but shouldn't playing for a car be challenging. Nice win btw.

Well the infamous Party Tyme Karaoke machine reared its head in Safe Crackers today. It's amazing how many contestants it has fooled over the years with that price.

What in the world was Brian thinking when he bid $1,000,000? :oldlol:

However, Brian made up for that with that awesome come from behind win in Pathfinder. Speaking of Pathfinder it certainly was nice to see it again today.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 07:27:02 PM »
I really thought that only Joseph from May 20, 2008's show could only make an insanely stupid 7-digit bid, but we had Brian today.  I really was put off by the way he said "put it up here!" to his sportstype display.

Also, Bob did some historical inaccuracies during his tenure, and I think Drew had his first today when he called the $1 million bid "the highest bid ever" on The Price is Right, when Joseph on 5/20/08 bid $2 million.  Drew handled it very well and had fun with it today, doing the second Dr. Evil impersonation in his tenure as host.

What amazes me though is Brian eventually got on stage, won his game, $11,000 on the wheel, and eventually took home over $69,000 in prizes, which I think is this season's record so far.  But I sure as heck wasn't rooting for him after what he did in the first bidding round.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 07:35:43 PM »
What amazes me though is Brian eventually got on stage, won his game, $11,000 on the wheel, and eventually took home over $69,000 in prizes, which I think is this season's record so far.  But I sure as heck wasn't rooting for him after what he did in the first bidding round.
Taylor won $79,897 on 11/3.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 10:24:13 PM »
I'd like to root for a pastor, but I couldn't bring myself to do it after the guy bid a million dollars. There's just no place for that kind of nonsense.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Tiffany
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 10:50:38 PM »
Drew's hosting in Pathfinder today was some of the best I've ever seen from him.  He even got a Barker-esque crack in -- "I'm sorry, you lose because you moved off the number."  If he could be like this all the time, the show would be fine.  (...well, okay, if he could be like that all the time and he brought Roger back.)

Speaking of Roger, I can't believe what he was doing with these lineups...he had Bonkers and Safe Crackers two weeks in a row, and Clearance Sale three times in seven weeks!  (Of course, the second Clearance Sale ended up not getting played -- but that's beside the point.)

Yay!  Splendido!! :)  It's been way too long since we've heard that.

Screw the Dodge Journey in the second showcase -- I want that miniature Plinko board. :)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 11:11:34 PM »
OK, before I get plastered, I have amended my statement on Brian. All comments to me regarding the original have been removed.

But, I still say he was a showoff, and that is agreed upon by most here.

Onward.

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 12:15:28 AM »
One thing I really wish Drew wouldn't have done was made the million-dollar bid out to be a good thing. During the first Showcase Showdown, he said something like "Brian's having such a good day today, he won a car, he bid a million dollars..." When the other million-dollar bidder (Joseph) made his bid, he simply moved right along and called little attention to it. Of course, that was during the Roger era, and this is in the post-Roger era, so I probably shouldn't expect much.

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2008, 01:55:07 AM »
I really doubt that he was making it out to be good. I got the vibe that he was basically saying "Even though he bid $1000000, he won a car" kinda like making fun of him but not in a obvious way.  And you really shouldn't blame it due to producers. If Bob was hosting I'm pretty sure he would have gave attention to it like he did sometimes did. Sorry to edit, but this forum's rules don't allow YouTube links to be posted in this section.

And that was a 4-digit bid. Just imagine what he would of done if a contestant bid $1000000 lol.

***Oh and another thing, mark this episode down as having another person saying no to Drew when asked if they want to say hi to anyone when spinning the wheel lol.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 03:14:52 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline The Square

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 02:54:42 AM »
Less than five minutes into the show, and I'm already angry. At least with the last jerk, Drew pretty much ignored his $2,000,000 bid. But here, Drew gives the guy all the attention he was craving by making a big deal out of the $1,000,000 bid. That's right, ladies and gentlemen! If you come on The Price is Right and act like a disrespectful moron, Drew Carey will give you lots of camera time on the teevee!

And he's a pastor? I cannot believe that. At least with the college-aged kids, it's not out of character, but you're an adult male with a supposedly respectable job. Show even the tiniest shred of dignity.

That was the first time I've ever wanted to see Pathfinder lost. That was one of the rare times I didn't want to see the wheel land on a dollar, or on money in the bonus spin. I know it's not the show's fault that those things happened anyway, but that made this one of my least favorite episodes of The Price is Right. And the fact that this ruined one of the last episodes before all of the changes took place makes it all even more infuriating.

Offline santast

• Outside in Line
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 04:09:17 AM »
Dear JoeCaptiano=Moderator,

Im a Pastor.  Neither I nor and the other 30 or so fellow pastors I spoke to-emailed were offended by your description of "that excuse of a contestant" during One Bid #1.  It is no room in Studio 33 for "an excuse of a mature-grown man" like him.   I erased the DVR because I was so angry, waiting to read it in your recaps.   He needed to have his hind parts booted out of Studio 33 after that insane bid.   Many people would give "their 1st born" to get a chance to have just one chance to bid in Contestants Row and he soiled on that privilege.

Nice to see "Thats Way Too Hard"won.

Disgusted Today
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 04:13:07 AM by santast »

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
What bugged me more than Brian's million dollar bid was that Drew kept bringing it up again and again, giving him the kind of "YouTube attention" was was vying for.

Drew was very promising in Pathfinder.  I wish he had been the same though Safe Crackers and not waved in front of the camera like he did.

Words just cannot describe how awesome it was to see Switch? played for two trips with trip skins.  It looked infinitely better than using green screens.

I really wish Drew had forced Tiffany to actually say "that's too much" properly in That's too Much!, but he handled it quite nicely anyway.

Speaking of That's too Much!, that's how you set up the game:  with the correct price being at least the fourth one in, not stopping at the third.

Another couple of dang good Showcases.  I just can't seem to find a succinct way to say it was just so awesome to see normal, tame, well-scripted Showcases.

Man, I almost don't want this week of shows to come to an end.  It's so good, and we have to go back to absolute garbage Monday...
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2008, 04:51:34 PM »
I was debating with myself all throughout the last 24 hours whether I wanted to make a post in this thread or not.  I decided that I have to post if I want to get everything off my chest.

OK... once Brian confidently shouted out a $1,000,000 bid, my jaw hit the floor and I responded, "Oh God, not another one of these major-league asshats."  Next thing that crossed my mind:  This is gonna be another Alan Smithee Episode®, another episode that will be tagged "NOT FOR RERUN", another episode from which I'll have to disassociate myself.

By the time I had thrown half of my belongings at the TV, he arrogantly declared for the folks in the booth to "put it up there [on the bid display]!"  I yelled out several names toward him that I will not repeat in this post.

So then he actually won his way on stage in the second segment.  And what did he tell Drew that he does for a living?  He's a pastor!  Now I'm thoroughly pissed because no real pastor (at least not the pastors at any of my churches) would display such asshattery as he did in the first segment.

Ultimately, he redeemed himself a little bit when he won Pathfinder, won $1,000 on the Adrian Peterson Wheel, and won his showcase.  The operative words there were "a little bit".  Regardless of his big wins, I still think he's an asshat.

Now, for comments not involving Brian:

How on Earth was Switch won?  I thought Santa Fe was always outrageously expensive.  Or at least always more expensive than trips to Seattle.  Seattle was on Dob-oids®.

Well, we've had "That's Too Hard!", "That's Too Pink!", and "That's Never Won!"  It appears as though our new nickname for That's Too Much! is "That Might Be Too Much, Maybe".

Yay!  Splendido was actually played! :P

My showcase bids:
Splendido--$23,107
Car--$25,807
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline supergoten

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 06:45:06 PM »
Seeing the episode yesterday sent me off into a rant to my mom about how stupid contestants who don't care about the show, and just want to look silly on TV, making ridiculous bids when there are people who actually dream to be on the show, and he took that away from someone.

Imagine how shocked I was when he won the next round.

But sorry, I could not cheer for him because he made me so mad in the first game.

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2008, 01:04:08 PM »
IUFB #1: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: I thought to myself "Oh My God!!! Another Joseph!!!"  :evil:

Clearance: Very nice.

Pathfinder: OH NO!! He's up onstage and he's a PASTOR???!!!! 8-O 8-O 8-O 8-O For what church?? The first united Insipidist of Dumbville?? (I know I sounded harsh, I had to get it off my chest) I was just dumbfounded when he won the car.

Safe: $960 was the way I went. If only Rachel went the same. Too bad.

SCSD #1: I've heard the slogan "The Lord works in Mysterious Ways", but this way really left me aghast.  :shocked:

Switch?: Gee, that Seattle trip sure shot the inflation gun to a neverending surface. Good win.

TTM: Tiffany and I stopped at the right time and also gave us a possibilty of a new name.  :-D :lol: Good job.

NowThen: Very nice.

Showcases: The 2nd showcase may have not been award-winning but well-acted and fitted. Does the mini-Plinko board go with it?  :lol: :-D Close results, too. I'm still aghast.  :rollold: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

A 2.75-star show.