Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/16/2008  (Read 241158 times)

Offline ThunderE6

• Outside in Line
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/16/2008
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2008, 04:07:27 PM »
...I guess my point is that if they don't want audience members to help the contestants, then the entire show should be run like Clock Game.

After what you did on this episode, you just might have advanced that idea forward by a lot of spaces...and I really couldn't argue with it after today, either.

I don't have a problem with an amalgamation of audience members yelling out suggestions. I do have an issue with one person having the prices memorized and yelling out the exact answers.

I'm hoping the production staff learns from this and works harder on getting new items that people can't memorize.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2008, 04:08:25 PM »
I'd really like to see a normal entrance even just once.  Rolling a garbage can out the doors?  How the heck is that even supposed to be funny?

Wow, I can't believe Zachary actually had all of the products priced correctly in It's in the Bag.  There's no way I would have thought the marinade was $5.99.

The reveal of Swap Meet was abysmal.  It looked like Double Prices was coming, and the somewhat-random interjection of a single line from Drew after the first prize before revealing the other three prizes was quite pathetially planned.

I have no idea if we're ever going to see a bit with the sound effects operator after today's playing of One Away if the new method seen is permanent.  While I hate "oh mighty sound effects lady," there is as heck is a lot more dang excitement when you've got all five numbers right than Drew's new way would be.

What an easy setup for Pick-a-Number.  I'm a bit surprised Julie almost lost.

You know, if the three from the Row could have done an actually half-decent job modeling those prizes, instead of leaning all over them like Joseph did with the pool table, it might have been something great; but it was so badly planned, unrehearsed most likely, that it didn't work.

Way to totally butcher the Every Trip in the House Showcase.  From a stupid setup to the wrong cue playing to corny ramp-ups before three of the four trip descriptions, it was pathetic.  I want my old Every Trip in the House back with the trip skins.

Drew has convulsions after a Lucky $even win like Taylor's.  He was all over the place with David's Any Number win at the top of the show, and he made a scene over Sharon's win in One Away; but how... just how could he let pass what could have been the most exciting moment in the history of The Price Is Right pass with such disinterest and monotony as he did?  Words cannot describe just how pathetically he handled the reveal of the only perfect Showcase bid in daytime Price Is Right history.  It blew.  Whatever excitement that was there was sapped away.  I just do not understand how he could have done that with zero emotion when lesser things happen and it looks like he's going to have a heart attack.  After this incident, I should never have to explain again why Drew is a bad host of The Price Is Right.  This should speak for itself.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2008, 04:08:48 PM »
This is why the producers of the show need to be especially careful when choosing prizes for showcases.  Looking at the prizes in this exacta showcase, they are items that have been used several times before, without variation.  For these prizes, perhaps adding the cues for the pool table or some CD's or some extra to the trailer can keep this sort of thing from occurring.  This is done regularly with the options on cars, though even the options offered on cars seem to have less variety than in the past.

This situation smells a little bad, but there doesn't seem to be anything the contestant did wrong.

As for the reveal.  I am sure Drew knew the situation, and had his own thoughts on what happened.  But in entertainment, there's never really an excuse for letting up, and that's what he did with his weak reveal.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 04:11:37 PM by sideshowPA »
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2008, 04:09:09 PM »
I guess my point is that if they don't want audience members to help the contestants, then the entire show should be run like Clock Game.

We had a long discussion about this several months ago after Voltron ended up on stage with two Showcase winners whom he helped, and was subsequently banned from sitting close enough to the front of the studio that the contestants would be able to listen to him.

I have no idea why Terry apparently chose to listen to you as opposed to one of the other screaming people in the audience. I don't even know why Terry apparently heard you as opposed to one of the others. Unless you and Terry knew each other, and unless you were describing your price-memorization skills to everyone within earshot in the line, and that included Terry, I don't think there's a problem.

On the other hand, I can see how network S&P might need to make absolutely certain that he didn't have some kind of illegitimate help (like being yelled at by a friend in the audience with a written list of prices in his lap). And after all, the show is supposed to be about how good the people on stage are at pricing items, not how good they are at picking which audience member to listen to, or about how good the 300+ people sitting there who weren't chosen at contestants are at memorization and yelling.

John

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2008, 04:09:14 PM »
Here's another thought.  If they don't want the potential contestants memorizing prices and using that to their advantage, then STOP USING THE SAME PRIZES OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again!!

Use a prize once, or twice, or even three times, but they've offered that trailer so many times now, even Joe Plinko knows its exact price!!
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline MrDeePay

• In the Audience
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2008, 04:12:06 PM »
So, this is the first episode I actually saw with my own two since the premiere week seeing as I'm too lazy to reconfigure my Adblock plus so I can see it on CBS' website without disabling the addon, and I thought the episode was OK, other than two problems already touched upon.

1.) Drew's intro at the beginning with the trash can.  I found that to be really dumb.
2.) Drew's monotone reaction to the EXACTA in the showcase. I feel that was just a blown opportunity for obvious reason.

On a different note, I really liked the One Away playing today and seeing the CNOA being able to be on stage.  I thought it was a nice touch for a showcase.

Offline ThunderE6

• Outside in Line
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2008, 04:12:15 PM »
Mr. Barker was NEVER EVER so monotone when I helped someone win a showcase.  And last time I checked, the audience helping a contestant, WHICH HE MORE OFTEN THAN NOT ENCOURAGES, has ALWAYS been a part of this show.

There's a big difference between helping and giving the answers.

I know that you've been a staunch defender of The Way Things Used To Be, but CAPS on CERTAIN PARTS of your POST don't help advance your AGENDA.

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2008, 04:14:01 PM »
What I'd really like to know is whether someone called Drew over to discuss things with him. If I were Fingers, I'd be telling him something along these lines:

"OK, Drew. All those times Barker referred to something as an "historic monent" pale in comparison to what's about to go down. We've been discussing this for a while, and it seems legit. So here's what you do. Reveal Sharon's showcase price first, then when you reveal the price of Terry's showcase I want you to sell it. Seriously Sell It. Like it were the most exciting win this show has ever seen. What happens next hasn't been seen in 35 years on this show. This is huge. In fact, this might make or break your future on Price, it's that huge. I'm serious. Now, go out there and give it all you got."

How many moments from the Barker era have been repeated over and over on clip shows and the like? This qualifies as one of them - except that it's missing the one thing it truly needed - excitement from the host. I'm very disappointed.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2008, 04:15:24 PM »
And with all due respect to Voltron, he was SPECIFICALLY TOLD BY THE PRODUCERS DO NOT HELP CONTESTANTS BY SHOUTING UP PRICES.  It was the day he was told he went into that studio and said "Well if I "finger" up numbers that's fine".

Ted did not solicit people in line to look to him.  He was just as wrong as he was right.  And bottom the show could have handled this situation much much better than it did.

Over the years there have been numerous occasions where an ARP was a round # like $17,700.  That's way more of a gamble for someone to nail an EXACTA than anything else.  And maybe if someone else actually put today's showcases together, there wouldn't have been this room for a possible EXACTA.  

Offline ThunderE6

• Outside in Line
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2008, 04:15:56 PM »
Joe, I can't argue with that.

Even though it smelled rotten, they had to play it out.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2008, 04:17:35 PM »
There was a very long stopdown between the showcases and the reveal, and lots of conversations going on all over the stage between groups of people.  I really don't think they knew how to proceed, since this wasn't like somebody bidding $17500 and being on the nose. ...
Well well well, I can't believe I missed this before...

This explains everything. There is a decent chance that Sharon told Terry to listen to YOU, Ted, or, at least, you were a good source of help. And Sharon would have gone right back to YOU, Ted, and cleaned house. I assume you gave help to Sharon too (nice job there too).

Again, I do not defend Drew, but this is probably why his inconsistency shows up again here - the worry of rigging.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 05:42:45 PM by Joe_Capitano »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2008, 04:18:37 PM »
If I were Fingers, I'd be telling him something along these lines: <snippity>
Yeah, I bet Fingers didn't say a word...other than "reveal Sharon's first".

Any Number was really fun today...especially after the contestant interaction before it.  That was good.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline dh027

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2008, 04:22:53 PM »
  After this incident, I should never have to explain again why Drew is a bad host of The Price Is Right.  This should speak for itself.

Amen, Brother Nick!  I think the garbage can from the open would have done a better job with the showcase reveal.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2008, 04:24:36 PM »
Even though a win like today's is a rare feat, in the rules it says the contestant just wins both showcases.  The show just won't hand out over $50,000 just because of today's event.

Now hold on there. This is a rare feat. Drew's hosting performance in the reveal notwithstanding (I haven't seen it yet, so I can't comment on that), there MUST be some reward for hitting the ARP right on the nose. I once thought $1 million, but that would be really blowing the budget ... so $50,000 is enough.

Call it luck, call it pricing knowledge ... it's a feat that deserves extra reward rather than simply "everything in both showcases." That should be — and should have been all along — in the rules (as an unstated rule, certainly, but a rule just the same). It's no different than Superball!!, when a contestant won $3,000 for perfect play.

Just my two cents worth ...

Brian

Offline greg

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2008, 04:25:51 PM »
I learned something new today.  I would have never imagined they would blacklist people from the audience for shouting out good bids......Drew always goes out of his way to encourage audience participation.
Exciting games today.  One Away had a very good win.  As did Any Number.
  Terrible loss in It's In The Bag & Switch?
  I loved seeing Swap Meet even though it was sort of bland.
The showcases were very well done today.  VERY exciting win!  :-D :-D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 04:34:08 PM by greg »