Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/16/2008  (Read 241163 times)

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/16/2008
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2008, 04:29:13 PM »
Amen, Brother Nick!  I think the garbage can from the open would have done a better job with the showcase reveal.

Yeah, it would have showed more enthusiasm than what Drew showed that's for sure.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2008, 04:29:44 PM »
Isn't this the same Drew Carey that almost had a seizure after an exciting Lucky Seven win earlier in the season?
This is also the same Drew Carey that got excited over a contestant breaking the Plinko record on December 25, 2007.

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2008, 04:31:14 PM »
Quote from: Joe_Capitano
(As to what Fingers might have said.) "We've been discussing this for a while, and it seems legit."

I'm not going to disagree with you, Joe.  I think you are right.  I'm just going to play Devil's Advocate.

IF Drew thought that maybe there was something fishy about this win, at least it would explain WHY he was so unenthusiastic. 

During that 45 minute stopdown, maybe they did go and look at the tape and found Ted and his bid suggestion.  Maybe they discussed it with S&P, and decided there was nothing they could do but go along with the win.  After all, Ted did nothing wrong.  That doesn't mean that they were happy about it.  In the producers' eyes, this Exacta may be considered "tainted".    [/Devil's Advocate]

Again, I do think Drew blew it.  I think there is nothing wrong with what Ted did, and I think this should have been one of the most exciting moments in TPIR history.

Instead, it will go down as one of the most disappointing moments - not for the bid, but for the reveal.

By the way, Congratulations Ted (and I mean that sincerely) on a very good bid!!  Congrats to Terry for listening!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 04:33:09 PM by Ton80 »
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2008, 04:32:41 PM »
Ton80 echos my sentiments down to the letter.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2008, 04:34:06 PM »
I remember in a 1990 episode in which Ted was in the audience, the first item up for bids on the show, he shouted out a price and it turned out to be exactly right. He's definetly a LFAT. There's no reason why he shouldn't have helped the contestant win.

I think the audience has been helping contestants since the early days of the show as well.

Offline djryan

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2008, 04:34:30 PM »
Not sure if I'm welcome at Studio 33 anymore, but I'm sure I'll find out one of these days...

Well, if they didn't let you back, that would be ridiculous!  I mean, paying attention to prices that well, it shows you're a big fan of the show.  For years, participants in the audience always help out contestants, so because someone knows prices better than others would be  disqualified to be in the audience???...STUPID!!!  It's called beating TPIR at their own game!!

Look at Michael Larson on Press Your Luck...he memorized the board pattern to rake in over $110,000.  Did he cheat, NO!  He beat PYL at their own game!!
COME ON DOWN!

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2008, 04:39:51 PM »
What I'd really like to know is whether someone called Drew over to discuss things with him. If I were Fingers, I'd be telling him something along these lines:  ...

Well, I just saw a clip of the DSW "perfect bid" on YouTube. Yeah, it did lack excitement. But I also, after reading Joe's comment above, now wonder the same thing he is ... did the producers specifically call Drew over to talk about this event?

See, this is what I'm talking about with the $50,000 bonus. And there's more ... much more that could have been done. What about confetti and balloons dropping from the ceiling? Yeah, it would be too obvious to stop tape and put all this up in between the Showcase presentation and the ARP reveal, but still there has to be something to really make this exciting to the home AND studio audiences. Draw the celebration out ... invite the audience to storm the stage and celebrate with the contestant ... DO SOMETHING to make it a big, big, BIG deal!

So even if we get a run-of-the-mill showcase reveal like we did from Drew, something can make up for it.

Yeah, we wonder, if only Bob were here ... and the list goes on (Pat Sajak, Geoff Edwards, etc.). You get the point.

Brian

Offline Roland

• In the Audience
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2008, 04:40:48 PM »
It probably would've been nice if Drew was more enthusiastic about the exact showcase bid. However, I still think seeing somebody get the showcase bid exactlt right was very exciting even if Drew wasn't. We probably might never see another TPIR phenomenon like this again.

Offline Ted

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2008, 04:42:12 PM »
And for the record, Terry was listening to me when he switched those prices.  Here's a case where knowing too much about the prices caused me to be wrong.  All the exercise equipment (as of September 22nd) had prices that ended in "0", "5", or "9" and the computers typically have wonky prices that end in odd numbers (like "44").  That was what my decision was based on, plus knowing that the computer prices are all over the place. 

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2008, 04:53:55 PM »
It was two bikes, though - so while $1822 is indeed a weird price for each, that rule overrided the one you're referring to.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 05:44:38 PM by Joe_Capitano »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2008, 04:59:07 PM »
Forgive me if this may appear obvious:

Taping was stopped for a while during the Showcase because of Terry's EXACTA.  There was discussion with S&P.  There was the idea that it was possible that Terry might have cheated.  Why was there this idea?  An EXACTA was bound to happen--it's been about 36 1/2 years since TPIR began.  In fact, twice when I played along, I had an EXACTA and I knew, at most, one prize (if any).  Did this same thing happen whenever Check Out is played perfectly?  Or when Check Game is played perfectly?  Or when Dice Game was played perfectly?  (Okay, the last one might be an exception, since there is a lot of luck involved.)  Did this happen in the 70s nighttime show when this also happened?

I hope this doesn't mean it will be excluded from possible episodes to rerun during breaks.

It also amazed me to see that Drew, who (according to us) put too much excitement in Taylor's Lucky $even win, put no excitemement in Terry's perfect bid.

Today was an exciting show, historic too, only the 2nd time in the history of TPIR that a contestant got the showcase on the nose.
It should also be noted that the last time was on the nighttime show, not the Bob/Drew era of the show.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2008, 05:00:05 PM »
This is why the producers of the show need to be especially careful when choosing prizes for showcases.  Looking at the prizes in this exacta showcase, they are items that have been used several times before, without variation.

I've honestly never seen a showcase that was begging for an exacta as much as this one.  The VocoPro we've seen lots, the Golden West pool table has been used as an IUFB for quite some time now, and the Hi Lo trailer has pretty much been the same price too.  You can't put those three items together without throwing in something that people haven't necessarily nailed the price of.

Replacing the pool table with a computer might have worked.  Having a trip at the end would be a good showcase, assuming it was a fairly expensive one.  A car at the end would be fine, too.

But whoever thought up this showcase just got a sharp reminder that price hunters are out there, and they aren't going to get lazy.

We know the prices.  We know the prizes.  We will take CBS for all of it if given the opportunity.

Nice job, Ted, with the exacta.  You've proven that you are an LFAT time and time again.  I only hope that this doesn't mean automatic banishment to the last row.

Voltaire has said it's a cold and lonely place...
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Drewfan2008

« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2008, 05:01:02 PM »
Reading everything that actually went down at the studio that day, I am not as angry with Drew as I was earlier.

Offline Grammar-Nazi

• Beware my red pen....
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2008, 05:06:48 PM »
I don't put the blame on Drew for the reveal, I place it on the producers who should have told him how significant this was. Though Drew himself should have realized that, even if he thought the win was tainted, the average viewers at home have no idea this is the fact, and this is all about showmanship.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle." Garrison Keillor

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2008, 05:11:06 PM »
You know why Drew was monotonous at the end? Because he realized SOMEONE ELSE helped him get that EXACTA. Someone else had those prices (well-done, random audience member) memorized. ...

This is certainly a possibility.  But how do we KNOW this?  How can we be sure that this wasn't just a monotone Drew?  I would almost hold a meeting on whether or not Drew should remain host after such a horrible reveal.  I would ask him if he still cares about the show, and if his perceptions have changed in a negative way in the last year?  It sure sounds like they have.

Joe
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 05:45:21 PM by Joe_Capitano »