Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/16/2008  (Read 241170 times)

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/16/2008
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 03:46:30 PM »
We don't ask Drew Carey to be like Bob Barker.  We just ask him to care about his job, and the contestants.  Everything he does takes attention away from them, and brings it onto himself.  With that said he has shown excitement on the show before, but not during one of, it not THE most, exciting moment in the show's history?  There's more to this that what is on the surface.  I look forward to reading the replies of people who might be in the know more so than myself.

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 03:47:14 PM »
Not sure if I'm welcome at Studio 33 anymore, but I'm sure I'll find out one of these days...

Ted, I personally feel for you; the same thing happened to Voltaire recently and I think Willy too.  I didn't hear a thing about my giving contestants assistance in SC's or pricing games; HOWEVER...I share a personal responsibility for helping a contestant named Summer win "Switch?" on the show that aired on April 11 (last season), because I was in the front row that day.  Also Ted, I know you had this tendency to cause contestants to lose their pricing games (Susan losing Check Game in the early '90s comes to my mind :P), but wow--you're THAT good in pricing!  Maybe you oughta join us for the next Overbidders Anonymous meeting as a guest speaker!  :mrgreen:

As for today's show itself, I took the day off thinking that there would be no CSS; man, I must've missed a helluva good day.  The players on stage would've PWNED us all today, but I did catch the reveal of Terry's exacta myself.  Come on Drew--you were MUCH BETTER last year when I was there; I hope somebody gripes at you for blowing one of the greatest moments in TPIR history!  :-x

OVERALL SHOW GRADE:  Incomplete/Stuff of Legends

(I'm grading this show in two parts:  the PG's, which get an "Incomplete," and the exacta itself, which automatically gets filed into the "Stuff of Legends")
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 03:53:03 PM by GoldenBulldog »
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline ThunderE6

• Outside in Line
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 03:48:38 PM »
You know why Drew was monotonous at the end? Because he realized SOMEONE ELSE helped him get that EXACTA. Someone else had those prices (well-done, random audience member) memorized...

That's exactly the way that I feel, too. Robbed.

At first, I smelled a rigging on that number. Now that I know that some person memorized the prices on all of the items and yelled it out to the contestants... well, I'm not sure what to think.

That fact sure did take the fun out of what I saw today.

Offline jzion12345

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 03:48:58 PM »
Well, as I've mentioned elsewhere, before hiring someone for a show of this magnitude, CBS should have not just looked for someone with good hosting skills (which it turns out he doesn't have anymore). but also looked for someone who understood the history of the show well enough to understand why moments like this make the show special. I'm sorry, but Drew just does not get it at all!

I decided to go to Youtube and watch a bunch of the DSWs from the Drew era, including the other one from this season. As much as those are great moments, they do not come to the magnitude of an exact bid, which has happened ONCE in the history of Price, over all the versions, daytime or syndicated (not including TNPiR '94 which used the Range Game bonus round). I noticed that in all the other DSWs, there was definitely more excitement in Drew's voice than normal. He seemed to get the fact that it was a big moment, and got excited. Today...was a huge moment, and Drew blew it! I'm sorry, but where did the Drew from last season go? Oh yeah...he had Roger to help then. Not to blame this on the loss of Roger, but I don't think he would have allowed this to happen like that.

That being said, I have lost whatever respect for Drew as a game show host I had. It's only been 3 months worth of season 37, and Drew has alienated most of the hardcore Barker fans who liked his performance from last season. At least he has the talent for something.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 03:49:34 PM »
I thought Drew's entrances on vehicles or prizes were bad, but throwing a CBS trash can out in front is probably at the bottom of the barrel.

That corny equation used as the intro for the boat in the first bidding round was just plain stupid.

Pretty amazing comeback in Any Number, it looked like David was going to win the piggy bank or the iPod package, but he came back and won the car on the last possible pick.

I still find it unbelievable that Drew still calls It's in the Bag "In the Bag" more often than not.  I know he is capable of calling the game by its proper name, as evidenced by one of the MDS's last year and a couple of times last season as well, I wonder if he just forgets to call it "IT'S in the Bag" or he just doesn't make the effort.

Hard to believe it has been almost one year to the date we have had our last $16,000 win in It's in the Bag, but the crowd managed to make Zachary stop too early when he could have won it all.  That's why I love $16,000 wins so much in the game, there are only a handful of people going against the whim of the audience to bail at $8,000 and go for broke.  The reaction from everyone is always exciting when the full win happens.

Swap Meet just doesn't feel the same when we see the prize and podium before Rich describes it.  Today, we just saw Bart shoot Drew and the contestant as if they were walking to door #2 to play Double Prices and Side By Side, and we only got a hair of the prize stand holding the coffee maker (at least for those, such as myself, who were watching the show in 16:9).

Sharon was fun to watch coming on down and it was so awesome for her to win One Away by playing it perfectly.

The first showcase was kind of good, with the models taking the day off and having the contestants still in the Row come up and model the prizes, although they could have done something like "Your showcase takes a look as we have some of today's contestants model the prizes!" or something.  But otherwise, it was pretty good, may not be up there with yesterday's "Villain" showcase but it was far better than the Fried Chicken, L.A. Kings, or Pie Fight.

Well, way to kill the Every Trip in the House showcase.  I mean, it was good that they built a house to hold all the green screens, but they could have had the mini trip skins and stage them the way they have been doing it for the last several years when doing the showcase.  The way the copy had Rich say what each destination was famous for was just unnecessary.  Although I do like how Rich didn't recap the prizes offered at the end.

Could Drew have been any mellower than he was during the reveal?  I mean, I would think he would get excited about Sharon's $494 difference and then build up the excitement for Terry's reveal.  But he had that usual "I just wanna get this out of the way" attitude and showed no enthusiasm and mumbled about it happening back in the '70's.  I mean, Drew seemed very excited when Sharon won One Away by playing it perfectly and when David won at the last possible moment on Any Number, so why couldn't he have given the showcase reveal the same treatment?  Arguably one of the most exciting wins in TPIR history was shot down because of Drew's reveal.

Drew really needs to get his act together, I was very impressed by his performance last season, but now he just took it and flushed it down the toilet and is starting to remind me of how Louie Anderson looked like he was bored out of his mind on his final years on Family Feud.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 03:51:17 PM »
Today's show? BEST show of the year. Bar none. Despite (or in spite) of that awful entrance made by Drew.

All I can say about that showcase win is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. I never EVER thought i'd see that. Poor Sharon made an amazing bid as well but what can you say about Terry's? Truly amazing. That's something we may never ever see again. The bad part about it was that Drew put no enthusiasm whatsover into that reveal. Shame, shame, shame. Drew, be EXCITED about it. He about hyperventilated today in Any # and yet when we get a bid like Terry's he show's no excitement?

Speaking of the showcases--that first one was a-w-e-s-o-m-e. If only Drew would put this much effort into every showcase.

Sharon did outstanding today as well--we cannot lose sight that she did have that awesome 5 horn One Away win. If only One Away had been played last---that would have made things much better?

No one has mentioned Zachary's heartbreak in It's In the Bag yet. That hurt. Yeah he won $2k, but knowing if he'd gone on he'd have won the whole enchilada made it that much more painful in my opinion.

Offline Ted

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 03:56:04 PM »
That's exactly the way that I feel, too. Robbed.

At first, I smelled a rigging on that number. Now that I know that some person memorized the prices on all of the items and yelled it out to the contestants... well, I'm not sure what to think.

That fact sure did take the fun out of what I saw today.

The show IS, after all, an audience participation show.  Don't get me wrong, I memorize prices for my own benefit, should I be chosen as a contestant, but if not, then I'm just one of the people in the crowd shouting out what he or she thinks.  As Rod Roddy used to say in his warmup, "Pick out the right one out of three hundred screaming people and you win in contestant's row."  For the record, I did try to get Terry to bid $23,500, as that would have still yielded a double showcase win and would not have caused any suspicions on anybody's part, but he went with the first bid I gave him instead.  :-).

I guess my point is that if they don't want audience members to help the contestants, then the entire show should be run like Clock Game.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 04:10:08 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 04:00:14 PM »
(see above quote)
Also, Willy said there was a 45-minute stopdown between bidding & reveal - because the entire staff felt that way, too, but they couldn't re-do the SCs or anything like that. While I, again, absolutely agree Drew SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST feigned joy if he was feeling it was illegitimate, I honestly think this is a plausible theory that's going to prove itself true - not cheating, but suspicions of it and a definite person who knew these prices by heart.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 04:10:34 PM by Joe_Capitano »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline holein1isawesome

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 04:01:44 PM »
Who else here thinks that he should get $56,437 in cash? *Raises hand*.  :oldlol::biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2008, 04:01:54 PM »
You know why Drew was monotonous at the end? Because he realized SOMEONE ELSE helped him get that EXACTA.

Mr. Barker was NEVER EVER so monotone when I helped someone win a showcase.  And last time I checked, the audience helping a contestant, WHICH HE MORE OFTEN THAN NOT ENCOURAGES, has ALWAYS been a part of this show.

Also, Willy said there was a 45-minute stopdown between bidding & reveal - because the entire staff felt that way, too, but they couldn't re-do the SCs or anything like that. While I, again, absolutely agree Drew SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST feigned joy if he was feeling it was illegitimate, I honestly think this is a plausible theory that's going to prove itself true - not cheating, but suspicions of it and a definite person who knew these prices by heart.

So what you are saying is that no Golden-Road member should EVER be selected as a contestant because they now the ARP of the Egg?  I'm sorry Wayoshi, but your argument makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.  This board plays the CSS almost every day and on most days somone scores a DSW.  Are you telling me that had you been in studio and been in a position to help someone win, you wouldn't help them because "I'm sorry...I'm too damn smart for the show and you are on your own?"

Lemme be clear in my support of Ted.  He didn't cheat.  He didn't walk into that studio with a physical price list for reference.  He used his "I've watched the show for a billion years" memory to assist a contestant.  For all he knew, he could have been $200 over. 

And forget all of that....it's still no excuse for the way Drew handled the reveal.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 04:08:50 PM by FPGWillyT »

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 04:04:09 PM »
The show IS, after all, an audience participation show.  Don't get me wrong, I memorize prices for my own benefit... (snip-snip-snip)  :-)

And that's good--it really is!  I certainly AM NOT critical of any LFaT on this site, but as a general rule of thumb for me, I don't have time to sit there and absorb these prices as some of them do because of the obligations of school; don't get me wrong Ted, if you're an LFaT of this show, you'll fare rather well.  However, I think that the deeper problem with the show nowadays is that they, quite frankly, DON'T CARE about the LFaT's anymore; if the staff suspects that if an LFaT, who absorbs prices like sponges, helps out your average contestant, then he/she will be moved.  It happened to Voltaire, Willy, and A.J. (Armadillo); I feel really bad that it happened to you, and I fear that it might happen to me.

(of course, since the staff reads this site and realizes that I go OVER in CSS everyday, they don't consider me a threat to them--and that's the way [uh-huh, uh-huh] I like it!)

:mrgreen:

Oh yeah, I forgot to make a toast:

Here's to Ted and Terry, for being a part of the greatest moment in TPIR history!  :pint:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 04:05:59 PM by GoldenBulldog »
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 04:04:57 PM »
Mr. Barker was NEVER EVER so monotone when I helped someone win a showcase.  And last time I checked, the audience helping a contestant, WHICH HE MORE OFTEN THAN NOT ENCOURAGES, has ALWAYS been a part of this show.
Again, I'm not defending Drew, in fact I'm against him in this manner, absolutely. I'm just giving what I think is the reason why it ended up coming out this way.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 04:11:43 PM by Joe_Capitano »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2008, 04:05:26 PM »
Who else here thinks that he should get $56,437 in cash?

No, the show should just award the prizes the way it has been done for the last 36 years, just awarding them both showcases.  Even though a win like today's is a rare feat, in the rules it says the contestant just wins both showcases.  The show just won't hand out over $50,000 just because of today's event. Besides, that can be very useful for the budget for the rest of the season.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline SteveEllis

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2008, 04:06:28 PM »
Oh geez, I noticed the "audience members" modeling the prizes in the showcase.  What I did NOT realize was that these were the 3 NOAS contestants.  I honestly thought they were AUDIENCE members.  I don't pay much attention to this show.  I do watch it all the way through, however.

Dagnabit, My TIVO is broken.  So I couldn't record this show.  But I am getting a new format tivo with the 80 hours and the dual tuners, unlike my old one single tuner 40 hour.

Showcase win: WOW.  I noticed that.  What are the odds of that?  Like 1 in 100,000?  Just my guess because the ARP usually is $xx,xxx.  But I don't know.
15. Messages posted express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of the administrators and moderations of this site.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2008, 04:07:17 PM »
Opening:  Hi, Ted! :-D

Any:  Kathy was definitely aiming for a loss on this one, having both the 5 and 0 in the iPod stuff.  David made it exciting, going to a full count and winning.

One-Bid #2:  Watch out for Sharon!  She's a screamer and could do serious bodily harm to Drew.  Obvious edit right before the camera was sent down.

Baggy:  Thanks a lot, audience!  It's been ages since the last $16,000 winner and you blew it for Zachary. :evil:

One-Bid #3:  Yay!  Big Green Egg! :P Nice job giving Terry that price, Ted.

?Switch?:  Don't know what Terry was thinking in switching those prices, but the audience made up for its previous atrocity by booing him into un-switching.

Swappy:  Another obvious edit.  Either that, or really bad camerawork.  The setup was extremely easy.

Away:  Yay!  Five-horner! :P And Sharon was just terrific throughout this whole segment.

PA#:  Julie tried to go with M*A*S*H 4077, but more audience booing prevented another impending loss.  I think this might be the first time in PA#'s history that a contestant changed his or her mind just before the host lifted up the correct answer.

SC #1:  While this showcase was poorly written, it does get high marks for utilizing the three contestants who didn't win one-bids.  You can tell that Terry got his bid again from Ted.  Given how close his bid was to my bid, I knew that a DSW was likely.

SC #2:  Oh noes!  The evil "Every Trip in the House" showcase!  Even worse, it's an all-green-screen house.

My showcase bids:
Trailer--$23,503
FRERITHSC--$33,007

Result:  Wow, what a great day to have a snow day from work!  Thanks to Ted, Terry scored the very first* showcase exacta in the history of Daytime Price and only the second* showcase exacta in all of TPIR history.

Well, dubious congratulations to Ted on now getting blacklisted/Willyed/Voltaired.

*=Does not count Barney's exacta on "How I Met Your Mother"
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16