Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/16/2008  (Read 241839 times)

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/16/2008
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2008, 08:51:09 PM »
if the staff suspects that if an LFaT, who absorbs prices like sponges, helps out your average contestant, then he/she will be moved.  It happened to Voltaire, Willy, and A.J. (Armadillo)

Hold on a second here...what?  That's news to me.  Unless something very strange is going on, this has NOT happened to me.  I've been to nine tapings, and the complete sum of prizes I've personally helped people win is two IUFB's.

Please don't give them any ideas.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2008, 08:56:55 PM »
I ain't givin' them no ideas; I'm just trying to absorb what I've read in the past.  I guess I must've misread something.

Geez Louise, I need a drink; could someone send me a keg of beer?  :pint:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 11:56:14 PM by Joe_Capitano »
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2008, 09:02:56 PM »
Army, I understand...I'm not defending Drew at all...
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2008, 09:04:53 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what was everyone reaction in chat when the exacta happened. 

I was thinking the same thing...Can we get a transcript of today's chat?  :)

Trash can opening??  No way to defend this one, it was garbage.   STUPID    I think I've done a 180 on my opinion of the goofy entrances.

That reveal was TERRIBLE.   What I find even more puzzling was, couldn't they have found a way to reshoot that and do some sort of edit?

On the fliop side, Drew was great in One Away today.

Anyone else sick of seeing Pick A Number yet?
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2008, 09:06:34 PM »
Army, I understand...I'm not defending Drew at all...
....wha?  Obviously you don't, because I wasn't referring to anything other than Bulldog's (mistaken) belief that I was no longer welcome in the studio.

In fact, for all the good I did at the MDS's, they'd probably welcome me in the studio right now.  ;)
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2008, 09:08:07 PM »
Sorry. I'm feeling misunderstood today trying to piece together what went behind the scenes. :P
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2008, 09:17:48 PM »
Time for me to speak up, based on what I've read.....

Personally, I think this is just the TPIR equivalent of Michael Larson's $110K+ haul on PYL. It may look like there was some cheating, but in all, it's legal. Larson knew the board had a pattern to it, so he used that to his advantage and...well, you know. Ted knew the prices of those prizes, and passed them to Terry. I don't think that would've been cheating unless Terry, Ted, or someone close to either of them had a physical list, access to the Internet, etc. It also helps when the prizes in the SC are commonly seen on the show. I know the VocoPro's been on a few times. Same with the pool table. And the Hi-Lo trailer is definitely a common sight in the SC's. Any Joe Plinko could see those prizes enough times to know what they cost [just as many of us know the V8 is always $3.15].

I can only think of how things could've been if message boards existed in 1984----people would no doubt have accused Michael Larson of cheating. Heck, I can only think that what happened behind the scenes in that case may have been similar to what happened here---a stopdown, with the producers contemplating, "is this guy cheating!?". Yes, PYL and Price are 2 different shows. But what I've read in this thread has me believing that this is, as with Larson, a case of someone legitimately knowing something, and using it to their---or in this case, another contestant's---advantage. Just that the producers wanted to make sure things were kosher. And to find out if things are kosher, unfortunately, does require a bit of paranoia on the staff's part.

Otherwise, yes---I do think Drew could've handled it better. If he smelled a rat, he shouldn't have let it show on air.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 09:22:56 PM by Chief-O »

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2008, 09:18:43 PM »
Anyone else sick of seeing Pick A Number yet?

No.  Last time it was played was November 19th, almost a month ago.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Corbinq27

• In Contestant's Row
  • Coming soon to my website...
    • Corbin's World
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2008, 09:19:18 PM »
I'm sorry this is off the topic of todays recap (what an amazing showcase win! I ran through my house and made everyone watch it again on the DVR!!!)

But I would also like to mention that, for reasons unknown to me, when I went to my 3rd ever taping on August 3rd, I too was moved from my cozy seat in the second row to a seat probably in the 8th row in the middle.  For the life of me, I have no idea why I was moved.  Maybe it was because I had spoiled the purple wheel two weeks prior, or maybe it was because the show taped that day supposedly would have originally aired the day after the purple wheel episode I was at (although, I don't really think that was it...)

I did however mention to someone in earshot of a page that I was a GR.net-ter.  Again, I have never been given a formal explanation even though I have called CBS many times and sent letters.

For whatever reason, I was separated and unable to enjoy that show really being separated from my family and all (which was a different experience than what voltaire had happen to him)...

Take it for what you will.  Just know that I am a LFaT but even so that I don't know prizes for beans (at least in my opinion) and I have certainly never given anyone on the production staff a good reason to think I would be good at fingering or shouting prices. 

Offline woohookitty

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2008, 09:26:21 PM »
"Tennythreethousansevenhunnerdfortythree rightonthenoserightonthenose,hasnthappensince 72or73helpcontrolthepetpopulation..."

I may seriously be done watching the show.

He didn't say 72 or 73. The thing is, the show was in a time crunch because of the Every Trip in the House showcase (there's a reason why they don't do that one often). He was in a hurry...period. Again, I do wonder if anyone here will realize that time is the defining factor for much of his behavior. More enthusiasm would've been nice. But on the other hand, he has about 20 seconds to get off of the air, if that. Would Bob have been more enthusiastic? Probably but he didn't have time to put much more into it.

Offline Drewfan2008

« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2008, 09:28:36 PM »
He didn't say 72 or 73.
Actually, he did.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2008, 09:34:32 PM »
Any Number:  Great comeback! :-D
It's In The Bag:  Shoulda went all the way! :headbang:
Switch?:  Too bad! :-(
Swap Meet:  I didn't get to see this game today. :-(  For some reason, it cut to a commercial early.
One Away:  Another great car win! :-D
Pick A Number:  Good thing Julie changed her mind at the last second! :-)
Showcases:  Terry bidding right on the nose - UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! 8-O  :-o  :-D  Drew could've showed a little more excitement, though.  Having the three contestants who didn't win their way up on stage model the prizes in the first showcase was pretty neat! :-)  Neat setup for the Every Trip In The House showcase, too! :-)

Awesome show today (except for It's In The Bag), IMHO! :-D  :-D
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline woohookitty

« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2008, 09:37:15 PM »
Actually he did say 72 or 73. My bad

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2008, 09:45:55 PM »
Why the heck did Zachary walk away in It's In the Bag?! That was an obvious, surefire $16K the moment he picked the final GP.

These new showcases have generally been terrible, but every now and then, we'll see one that's actually awesome. The first showcase was an example of the latter. Very nice idea!

It's happened so many times in CSS, and finally, it happens on the show. About time we had an exacta! Drew's reaction was terrible, though. Did he use up all his enthusiasm on the car wins earlier or something? It seems like big money and car wins are the only thing Drew cares about.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Sharon
SHOW GRADE: 3

Offline Bgamer90

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
And this HAD to be the episode that I had to miss since my local affiliate had technical difficulties for almost 3 hours. GRRR!!! lol. But yeah I'll be sure to watch this online.