Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/22/2008  (Read 16933 times)

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/22/2008
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 04:40:16 PM »
Which makes me wonder... was there anything special about the brand of milk they used or something?  Do you guys in the states even have milk price regulation or a milk marketing board or something like that?
It depends on what state you're in - I've always been under the impression California has a lot of regulation in regards to the production of milk, hence it's probably pretty expensive out there.

Never in as insulting of a way as Drew did today.  If four contestants grossly underbid on a One Bid item, the only sort of reaction Bob would ever display to a higher-than-expected actual retail price was usually just an emphasis of "thousand."
Was it really insulting? No.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline 88JRFAN

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 06:07:27 PM »
Any Number: Great win. I was hoping to see Triple Play or Golden Road
Plinko:Meh. Nice to see this played
Freeze Frame: It seemed like a tossup between 7995 and 9530.
Pass the Buck: Great win. I would have bailed out after winning $5000
Easy Az 123: Ouch. I knew the surfboards were lesser in price than the BBQ. That was a weird lookin BBQ IMHO.
Pick A Number: I would've thought 6 as well

Showcases: Double depressing. No cars, trailer, boats. And no winner  :-(
Overall (with the exception of the car games won): 6.5/10   
HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 06:42:38 PM »
Didn't mention this in an earlier post but i'm wondering just why and what makes Eazy az 1-2-3 so worthy of all the playings it has gotten lately? It seems it has shown up every week this season (though I know that it hasn't--just seems that way).

Of course it probably has to do with a little game by the name of Buy or Sell getting retired which was superior in every way to Eazy.

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 06:57:28 PM »
Any Number showing up so often is only (hopefully) due to them airing shows out of order (again).

I'm puzzled by Pick A Number's increase in play since Drew.   Drew must really like that game?????

Shows seem to be beter so far this week.   Hopefully they remain this way.

I really liked the way Drew came through the doors today.   It had a little "zest" to it and wasn't way overboard.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 07:05:03 PM »
One thing that hasn't mentioned...the colored backdrop is a snowy scene.  It gave a really awesome look to Eazy As 1-2-3.

(I want to add a picture, but CBS.com doesn't have the ep up yet.)
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 07:09:43 PM »
Any:  First appearance of the Honda Pilot, if I'm not mistaken.  And another great win on a full count!  Kathy must've been trying for a loss with a price like $27,891.  BTW, when was the last time there was less than $3 in the piggy bank?

Freezy:  $6,325 and $7,995 both looked reasonable.  Most Little Guy trailers are around $6,000, so I'm surprised this one was actually $7,995.

One-Bid #4:  $1,600 for 24 candles?!  That's an average of $66.67 per candle!  To paraphrase Joe Mello, those better be some damn good candles.

Bucky:  Another ballsy $5,000 gamble in this game pays off big.

Sleazy:  Yay for extra-long playings of "Clownin' Around"! :P

SC #1:  Oh no, the evil All-Trip Showcse!

SC #2:  Yay!  Train Depot! :P I didn't know they still made Triumph motorcycles.

My showcase bids:
FRATS--$23,007
FRTDSC--$20,007

Result:  WTF?!  Those were some cheap-ass showcases today.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 07:32:16 PM »
I don't really know what to think here -- I'm scared to be optimistic, but these last couple days, the show has really felt like The Price Is Right again.  I hope it continues, because for the first time in months, I don't feel like I'm watching the show just out of habit -- I'm watching it because it's fun again.  I also hope that if this was more than a fluke, that it happened a good while back...because these shows were taped way out of order, and once January comes, we won't even be close to their tapedates yet.

But really, Drew does seem to be hosting much better all of a sudden.  He's certainly not perfect, but he's acting much more like he was at the end of last season, just before our little corner of the world went to hell in a handbasket.  He's allowing contestants to shine through, he's actually varying his routine at the Big Wheel, and he even did a decent job today handling the double overbid.  The guy we've seen the last couple days isn't the "deranged clown," if you will, that we've been watching for most of the last three months; he's the guy who I really thought, given the proper training, could eventually evolve into the next Bob Barker.

(...I wonder if they still have the deranged clown mask.  Not that that has anything to do with this episode, of course.)

The lineup today was decent.  I still think they're using the 1/4 car combo way too often, but at least they put an interesting, longer game fifth today to make everything balance out.  (Actually, seeing Eazy az 1 2 3 fifth is just cool in general.)  It was weird, though, to see Freeze Frame and Pick-a-Number in the same episode.  Does anyone know if that's ever been done before?

Any Number was awesome.  That was one of the most exciting comebacks I've ever seen.

I really don't understand how Claire lost Freeze Frame.  She seemed to be the only person in the studio who didn't know what the price was.

The first showcase today was really cool...and Train Depot is always neat, even though I'm not crazy about what they've done to its script.

I thought it was interesting that almost(?) every prize backdrop today was a snow-covered forest.  It's certainly not what you expect to see behind a set of surfboards! :)

I liked how instead of going into the audience after the double ovebid, Drew took the two contestants over to meet the Rich and the Beauties at the Train Depot set.  That was sort of neat.

I'm getting sick of Any Number.  Doesn't matter if it's schedule shuffling, but can someone play it in the second half for once?

Any Number was just played fifth two weeks ago.

And what has happened to all the other multi-prize games?  I can't remember the last time I've seen Danger Price and the like.

That's an interesting observation -- in the last 12 shows, they've only done one multiprizer (specifically, Race Game).
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 07:45:05 PM »
I actually thought it was a really neat idea to have cookies and milk as a product pairing in Pass the Buck.  Sure the milk is something they haven't used before (I think it hasn't), but it was a nice touch for Christmas.

Seeing Any Number first again was boring but what a great and exciting playing!  Have to wonder why the piggy bank was made so cheap though.

That pig barbecue in Easy as 123 has to be one of the top 5 strangest prizes ever on the show.  I was pretty sure 2-1-3 was right, although that barbecue seemed like something that could cost between $100 and $2,000.

I didn't really mind what Drew said about the price of the candles.  It was a little unnecessary but not totally out of line.

I wonder why they used two quick showcases with no big prizes in either (like a car, boat, trailer, etc).  At least the trips didn't have dumb introductions.

I also hope they play Triple Play and/or Golden Road this week (or how about 3 Strikes with a proper 3 Strikes car!!)

Offline jordancarman

• In the Audience
  • This is me and my sister she help me on this site
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 08:20:05 PM »
Good news 2 car games won.  : ;-)
Bad news another double overbids showcase :(
We miss you Bob Barker!

I'm autistic and very nice :)

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 08:34:06 PM »
However, Drew's handling of the price reveal on the fourth One Bid was absolutely terrible.  For him to rag on the price of the candles like that was unacceptable.  It's one thing for the contestants to think the candles are only worth a few hundred bucks, but for Drew to is another thing.  Drew doesn't need to know the prices, but for him to act so surprised, insulted, or disgusted at the price of a prize, no matter how silly it is, makes him look bad along with everybody else.  He should at least not appear to be surprised by the price of any prize.

I thought his reaction to the price of the candles was genuine and spontaneously funny, and is exactly the type of thing I enjoy in Drew.  Mind you, I don't like it when if comes off as forced, but I found this to be a fun moment.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 09:10:39 PM »
On this day two years ago, our own Willy Tynan came on down and Burton subbed-in for Rich.  This week last year, we had another "El Skunko."  This year, we start off the week with the tree bid, instead of having it on Wednesday's show.

Geez, Any Number for three aired shows in a row?!  I really can't wait for them to play something like Card Game or Line em Up, just for a change of pace.

We add another Honda to the list of ones that have been offered on the show since May 2008, the Pilot.  To be honest, I had no idea how much it cost, and I was totally floored when it was revealed to be over $27,000 in price.  I really loved those snowy trees behind the car backdrops, a nice touch for the Holidays.

Well, Plinko is played for the first time in almost two weeks.  Personally, I like how they are not playing it as much as they used to, it makes the game feel a bit more special, in my opinion.

I thought having eggnog in Grocery Game last week was odd, but a half-gallon of milk in Pass the Buck?  Although I have to admit I chuckled that they set up cookies and milk together. 

Drew really did the reveals for Pass the Buck much better than he has been doing them earlier in the season.

I have to say, I loved it when Eazy az 1 2 3 had those snowy trees behind it, I hope we see more of that this week.

Well, like the first Christmas-themed show last year, we end up with a double overbid.  I really liked how Drew took both contestants over to the prizes instead of going into the audience.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2008, 10:04:09 PM »
Any Number:  Great comeback! :-D
Plinko:  What's going on with the Plinko board? ???  This is the third playing in a row where none of the chips went into the $10,000.
Freeze Frame:  What a bummer! :cry:  I think Claire was thinking $7,995 the whole time.
Pass The Buck:  Robert won as much as he could've possibly won with only 2 picks - great! :-D
Eazy Az 123:  Too bad! :-(  I didn't think the surfboards were the most expensive of the 3 prizes.
Pick A Number:  Rats! :-(  That was a tough setup!  I thought 6 too.
Showcases:  Double overbids downright stink!

Not too bad overall, IMHO.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2008, 10:53:39 PM »
The Any Number win was easily one of the best moments of the season so far. An exciting comeback win, an easy-to-root-for contestant... everything about it was great.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Hysha
SHOW GRADE: 3

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
Well, here goes the first of a series of Christmas week shows.

Any Number: Another terrific down-to-the-wire win!
Plinko: Hallelujah on its return! They haven't played this game in a while, so it was great to see it again.
Freeze Frame: Drat! Somehow I knew it was $7995!
Pass the Buck: Milk and cookies? Are you kidding me? Great pairing there, and an amazing win at the end!
Eazy az 1-2-3: Damn, I never realized BBQs were that expensive!
Pick-a-Number: I think Drew's so obsessed with this game! That was also a cruel setup!
Showcases: The Grinch stole them...Well, that's my way of saying that the show ended in a Double-Overbid, something we never want to see on the show.

All in all, this could be the beginning of that turnaround we've been hoping for all season. Way to go, Drew!

Offline ABBA

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2008, 10:58:58 PM »
Shouldn't the tree bid be on the last show of the Christmas week?   Dismantle screws up again. :-(
Maybe the'll have it again on the last show.