Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/22/2008  (Read 16934 times)

Offline ILoveBonusGame

• 2/15/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/22/2008
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2008, 11:14:58 PM »
This show was very nice to watch. My only comment though - the new cues are extremely out of place. The Any Number cue (called Cue 89 on J-shea's site) has been absent from Any Number lately, and Plinko just seems odd to watch without its traditional edits of "Spring Waltz", Cue 14, "Eric", and the marimba variation of the main theme. I know last year Stan mixed it up a bit in Plinko, but I have a bad feeling that we may never hear those cues again because of what John said a few weeks ago regarding the music cues.

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2008, 05:44:14 AM »
I have been VERY impressed with Drew's attitude and professionalism since that disastrous Double Showcase Win  reveal!  There are some little things to work on.  But the difference in quality, OMG, one almost has to speak in terms of light-years.  Obviously, someone gave him a talking to (more likely a severe tongue-lashing, regarding his past conduct with potentially his job on the line.)  Things are going much better.  I'd rather see Drew work on consistently keeping his moods and professionalism upbeat, without being silly, rather than have these extreme bi-polar, 60% way off his game and 40% tolerable moods of those prior December, 2008 tapings!

His conduct in recent shows is making Price a fun experience again, and not an unpredictable chore or task.  I mentioned how important the quality of Christmas Week had to be for me to keep watching the show, and we have had two very good days.  Not only two good days, but for me, two days where I have set the DVR to record Price like I used to do.

Production values have also improved.  Games are still a bit rushed, but Drew in these last few shows has been able to maintain positive energy.  He had me LAUGHING for one of the few times since Season 36!  And when Drew was COMPLIMENTING the car in Pass The Buck today, I felt a very positive vibe like I actually want to keep watching, and my interest in Price has been renewed. At least from my view, this shows that Drew has the potential to be a good host, with the show properly managed and maintained.

Keeping up this positive energy can get the show back to life again.  There will never be another Bob. There will never be another Roger.  However, if Drew (and the staff) can use these December tapings as guidelines for how Price should be done and COMPLETELY DESTROY ALL THE SLAPSTICK AND STUPID COMEDY PRIOR TO THESE DECEMBER TAPINGS, WE WILL HAVE A SHOW THAT WILL SURVIVE, AND HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO THRIVE, AGAIN!

Joe

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2008, 07:23:07 AM »
Wow Drew!  Maybe you were reading and listening, cuz I can't think of a time when I couldn't have been more impressed with you.  And the candle thing some people think was bad?  Meh.  I thought it was actually kinda funny the way you covered it in the end by saying, "Don't burn em, they're worth too much!"

But whoever came up with that Xmas Monday lineup needs to be shot.  You've got two days to recover and you'd best have done that. 

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2008, 10:07:25 AM »
Speaking of the Showcases, it was very nice to see the Train Depot Showcase.  After the numerous bad Showcases we've seen in the past few months, it's good to know the classics still live on.

Perhaps it's just me, but I would have liked to have seen the "Train Depot" showcase be a "North Pole" showcase, where the prizes come in via Santa's sleigh.

This is something that should have been done for Christmas ever since the "Train Depot"/"Port o' Price" showcases were started, IMO.

Brian

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2008, 12:36:28 PM »
Maybe you were reading and listening, cuz I can't think of a time when I couldn't have been more impressed with you.
I really think he has been... especially considering the publicity that your page got. I'm definitely optimistic considering the way things have been going the past few shows.

Offline holdme

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2008, 01:08:04 PM »
I've noticed the way Drew has been referring to what he used to call "items", now refers to them as small prizes. That gives me a feeling Drew has been reading this board and considering what we've been saying.

Offline whewfan

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2008, 01:17:51 PM »
I also have noticed that Rich's "colorful" prize descriptions are gone. For example, instead of "Get the mustard ready Drew... for this new grill!", Rich simply says "It's a new grill" That, for me, is nice. The prize intros don't really need any further "colorful" describers.

Perhaps Drew has shed his trademark glasses to distinguish between these "newer" shows and the previous ones, which for me, have been hit and miss. Nice to see Rich still appearing on camera, but at least he's being properly used.

Offline PaladinTornado

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2008, 02:06:10 PM »
Did anyone else notice that Drew did the "Bob Barker salute" at the end of his sign-off?  Perhaps he has done this before, but today was the first time I noticed it.  That was kind of cool.

Great episode though; best in a long while.  Things are beginning to look up -- maybe Drew has been listening to us!

Offline uion1715

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2008, 03:52:01 PM »
Day late Recap....:

Intro - Merry Christmas and... WHAT? (Not that it hurts the show but I just want to know what the two phrases mean)

+ Entrance - Normal entrance... YEAH!

+/- OB 1 - Tree bid... and players, we're not bidding on the tree from 1970's  :-)

+ Any Number - Nice comebacker... and excitement from Drew!

+/- Plinko - Toughie small prizes... and "Lucky Brandi" made me realize that he reads G-R.net every day  :-)

+ OB 2 - A Bob-like reveal from Drew which deserves applause

- Freeze Frame - How many times had we seen that trailer?

- Showcase Showdown 1 - E-Ticket plug... AWKWARD.

+/- OB 4 - Goodness... (bidding was awful) but + for Drew's little bashing of candle

+ Pass the Buck - What do I say? That was very good win...

- Easy as 1-2-3 -  Nah... Nah... Not that surfboard.

- Pick a Number - Awful game, awful set-up...

SCSD 2 - Wow... what a spin... (it applies to all players)

+ SC - Decent showcase...

Bid: SC 1 - $ 19,900, SC 2 - $ 16,000

8 plus and 7 minus makes it a decent ~ good show..

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 04:01:33 PM by uion1715 »
Maybe changes "were" bad...

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2008, 06:12:30 PM »
The last poster's signature, a quote from Fieldsfan from a few weeks ago, made me realize something interesting.  Here's what she wrote:

We have never lost the show, it's been the same format for the past 37 years - but with a lot of changes along the way.  Having to accept change is a big part of life, we need to deal with it and move on.

These last few shows seem to have abandoned most of these changes we've been expected to "deal with," and they're being acclaimed pretty much universally as the best episodes since Roger was fired.  Funny, that.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2008, 09:57:52 PM »
Game #65 (#6,986)

Any Number
You've seen the Civic, you've seen the Accord, you've seen the Element, but for the first time, here comes the Pilot!

Pass the Buck
We've reached a milestone:  The tenth Civic being offered...here's to at least ten more Civics in 2009!  Since this is the the 13th Honda episode, this leaves three Honda episodes without a Civic, and all three of these episodes have the Accord and the Element.

Showcase #1:  FRATS (as opposed to sorority)
Trip to Miami - $3,500
Trip to Munich - $11,523
Trip to Beijing - $3,398

Last trips:
Miami - September 24, 2008
- Its Beacon - June 12, 2008
Munich - March 8, 2005, which means there were no trips to Munich during Phire's tenure as model.
Beijing - April 15, 2008
- Ritz Tours there - March 1, 2007

I have also found out that whenever two Honda vehicles appear on an episode of the Price is Right, there is also at least one trip somewhere in one or both of that episode's showcases regardless of whether there was also another trip somewhere else in a pricing game that aired a few minutes earlier or as the first IUFB.

Showcase #2
Game Table - $2,995
Sauna - $5,245
Motorcycle - $8,699

Your Modeling Scorecard for December 23, 2008
Daily Records
High:  $138,452 (Jesse Golden, 2002)
Low:  $28,001 (Lanisha Cole, 2004)

Rachel Reynolds
December 23
Total dollars:
$21,199*
***NEW DECEMBER 23 RECORD***
($2,500 won, $18,699 lost)
Total prizes:  6 (2-4)
Hondas, Trips:  0, 0

After 51 shows
Total dollars:  $2,650,917
($1,344,171 won, $1,316,746 lost)
Total prizes:  441 (296-145)
Cars, Trips:  53, 38 (22-31, 26-12)

Brandi Sherwood
December 23
Total dollars:  $45,271
($25,146 won, $20,125 lost)
Total prizes:  12 (7-5)
Hondas, Trips:  1, 3

After 37 shows
Total dollars:  $1,753,371
($847,959 won, $885,312 lost)
Total prizes:  316 (204-112)
Cars, Trips:  37, 30 (18-19, 16-14)

Lanisha Cole
December 23
Total dollars:  $56,175
($29,711 won, $26,464 lost)
Total prizes:  8 (3-5)
Hondas, Trips:  1, 0

After 29 shows
Total dollars:  $1,311,396
($638,045 won, $673,351 lost)
Total prizes:  244 (155-89)
Cars, Trips:  25, 16 (12-13, 8-8)

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2008, 11:49:52 PM »
Sorry, I'm late. Christmas Week '08 is underway. Here we go.....

Any #: As much as i enjoy this game a lot, It's starting to bore me to the core seeing it played first everytime. Give us some variety, Will Ya? A Honda Pilot over $27K looked like a tough one to nail. Good thing Hysha fought the fire through pulling off another dramatic victory. Excellent work.  :-)

Plinko: $2,500 will do just fine.

Freeze: Claire looked completely blanked.

Pass: Having a half-gallon of Milk in a grocery-based game seemed very interesting. Risking $5K seemed a little drastic, but it worked!! Good job.

Easy: John kinda' killed me not making up his mind. I knew he was in trouble puting number 3 on the surfboards. I would've won this one, too.

P-a-N: Too bad.

Showcases: We've been seeing just how the showcases are suppose to be done!! They have been taking our advice and it is working!! The cheesy lines, stupid humor, and bad dialogue is fading away and we hope it'll all be gone before we know it. With no cars, trailers, boats, etc. It made have not made them any special, but it's the best they did. The outcome was sad, but seeing the 2 players joining Drew, The Models, and Rich on stage was a nice touch.

A 3.25-star show.