Author Topic: TPIR, 11/27/02 (Ayodele disqualified by Bob in the showcase showdown spinoff)  (Read 5152 times)

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
Check out the "Billy Joel" Showcase round at the end, since they both happen to be the names of the two contestants in it!

I changed the title to include the Ayodele incident, as it has been discussed on the site before, but I don't recall anyone posting a video of it before. Thanks!

Open/Range Game:

Let 'em Roll:

Bonkers/Showcase Showdown 1:

Plinko/Cover Up:

Most Expensive/Showcase Showdown 2:

Showcases:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 10:30:36 AM by temptation1979ga »

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: TPIR, 11/27/02
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 10:36:49 PM »
I should note that Bob made a serious error in the first showcase showdown.  He basically waved Ayodele off the stage after she failed to get the wheel all the way around.  She should have been allowed to spin again, just to have a score for the spinoff.  I am surprised that Roger, Phil, and/or Fingers didn't pull Bob aside during the commercial to inform him of his mistake.  Heck, I'm surprised that the mistake got by S&P; they probably would have ruled that, to be fair, she should be awarded both showcases and $11,000 from the wheel.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 10:46:37 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline RickZ317

• In the Audience
    • WTBU Radio
I've always wondered what would happen in that type of situation.  But I disagree goldenroadfanatic.  Bob clearly stated that the bonus spin and spinoff spin are one in the same, and that if the wheel doesn't go all the way around, it doesn't count, and you don't get to spin again.  I don't see a problem here.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
The bonus spin and spinoff are two different things.  The contestants both participated in a spinoff, but each had a bonus spin for more money.  Also, Bob's bad call really breaks from the actual rules and precedent.  I believe Carlos has a video of a bonus spin and spinoff in which someone failing to get the wheel all the way around for the bonus spin, but Bob said s/he had to spin again to get a score for the spinoff.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 04:18:03 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
Bob clearly stated that the bonus spin and spinoff spin are one in the same, and that if the wheel doesn't go all the way around, it doesn't count, and you don't get to spin again.  I don't see a problem here.

Bob may have clearly stated that, but it's not the rules. The "bonus" part of the spin should not of counted, however it was a spinoff as well so she should've been given a chance to get the wheel all the way around.

EDIT: Goldie beat me to it.
Signatures are overrated.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
Bob clearly stated that the bonus spin and spinoff spin are one in the same, and that if the wheel doesn't go all the way around, it doesn't count, and you don't get to spin again.  I don't see a problem here.

The problem is Bob was wrong. The explanation the other posters have given is correct. The contestant needed to establish a score for the spinoff, in spite of what happened during her bonus spin. Bob would've had an even bigger problem if the second contestant failed to get the bonus spin all the way around as well.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Bob would've had an even bigger problem if the second contestant failed to get the bonus spin all the way around as well.

I can only imagine, Bob proclaiming a "historic moment" that that was the first time ever both contestants were disqualified from the showcase showdown for failing to get the wheel all the way around.  But then Bob maybe would have realized his mistake of disqualifying Billy because there has to be a winner in a showcase showdown.  After he realized that Billy was wrongly disqualified, maybe he would realize that he did the same thing to Ayodele.  If Billy was wrongly disqualified, the producers and/or S&P would have probably raised a red flag and informed Bob of his mistake with both contestants.  I would assume that they would let Ayodele and Billy do another spinoff/bonus spin, and Bob would properly know what to do if any puny spins came up again.

There's something interesting I would like to point out about Ayodele, she attended high school with our own Frank15.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 04:41:54 PM by goldroadfanatic »

Offline someguy95

• In Contestant's Row
A situation exactly like this occured in 1993 (?) where Bob handled the situation correctly; the contestant's spin was a bonus spin as well as a spinoff spin unless it didn't go all the way around, and this was the case, so the contestant got to spin again until they had it go all the way around and the spin was ONLY counted for the spinoff.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 05:25:23 PM by someguy95 »
Everyone on this site has a lot of free time on their hands; Time is Money; You all have a lot of money; I HATE ALL OF YOU! :-D

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
Re: TPiR 11/27/02 (Ayodele disqualified by Bob in SCSD#1's Bonus Spin-Off)
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 01:59:28 PM »
...Looking at the clip, Bob was either being racist or showing his age through such a stupid thing THAT NOBODY ELSE CAUGHT. Not even Roger noticed the error which upsets me all the more.

I do not consider Ayodele as under the "ten years" rule since that only applies to contestants who finished their term as such on-air under properly S&P-approved circumstances. Ayodele didn't finish her tenure as a contestant due to Bob's utter stupidity, so she should be invited back as a contestant.
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Well, not to cast anything against Roger, but I wonder how it got by him, the other producers, and S&P when Bob mistakenly declared a contestant got 95 cents when she really got a dollar, from a showcase showdown in late 1993.  Nobody noticed the mistake and she didn't get $1,000 nor a bonus spin, let alone the proper score.

Offline someguy95

• In Contestant's Row
Not even Roger noticed the error which upsets me all the more.

*clears throat* (haha, I even stole your trademark asterisks :-D)

3/3/89: Punch-a-Bunch and One Away are incompletely and/or incorrectly loaded.

1992: Wrong answer loaded as correct answer for a SP in Super Ball!!

3/11/94: Two prize tags on Poker Game are switched to the opposite spots on the prize stand.

1995: Bargain Bar prices loaded in backwards on one of the trilons.

4/8/96: Even the lowest priced prize in Shopping Spree is $3 more than the total price to beat minus the two highest priced prices, resulting in a 1/3 chance of winning instead of 1/4.

And many more...

EDIT: If :clipboard: didn't notice at first, he noticed later or halfway through the game, as is the case with at least my Super Ball!! and Poker Game examples.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 07:38:05 PM by someguy95 »
Everyone on this site has a lot of free time on their hands; Time is Money; You all have a lot of money; I HATE ALL OF YOU! :-D

Offline RickZ317

• In the Audience
    • WTBU Radio
I know a couple of people have made the point that what Bob said differs slightly from the actual rules.  My question to those people is: where have you seen those rules? I'd really like to get a look at them myself, too.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
I know a couple of people have made the point that what Bob said differs slightly from the actual rules.  My question to those people is: where have you seen those rules?

In the clip in Carlos's forum, where they get explained correctly.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
Just as Steve said, the clip below is how the showcase showdown in this thread should have been handled. Here it is for those who don't want to search through the other forum (even though it's currently on page 1 there...)