Author Topic: New Pricing Game idea - BARCODE  (Read 3538 times)

Offline fireman

• In Contestant's Row
New Pricing Game idea - BARCODE
« on: August 26, 2006, 02:48:51 PM »
This is a pricing game idea that has been in my head for some time now...

This game can be played from anything from a 4 digit prize to a car.

The contestant must pick the 2 barcodes of the 4 smaller grocery prizes introduced that contain the digits in the correct order of the price of the car.  I emphasize the correct order.

For example, say a car costs $29,969.  The contestant must chose the grocery item that is $0.29 cents first, and then the one that is $9.69 second.

The fun part comes where Bob takes the scanner and scans the 2 barcodes chosen by the contestant in the order he/she wants them to be scanned.  The prices of the smaller items will appear as Bob scans their respective barcodes.

Bob will ask if the digits that appear on the screen if it is the right price of the bonus prize.  It it is, he/she wins the bonus prizes.  If it isn't the contestant loses. (Duh!) :roll:  

Here is a picture I photoshopped of what the game would look like.
Give me your thoughts.  Do you like it?

(Sorry about the big image, I downsized the picture.)

Offline tadixon757

• In Contestant's Row
Re: New Pricing Game idea - BARCODE
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 03:48:03 PM »
I can't see the picture, but the game sounds confusing anyway.  Plus, there are probably only so many grocery products out there that they'd be able to use.
-- Thad Dixon

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 06:11:14 PM »
First, downsize the pic, please.  It is way too large.

Second, this really doesn't look like more than just a more complex version of Money Game, and we all know how exciting Money Game is.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 06:47:41 PM »
Why does it look like an uglier version of Switcheroo?  Aside from the old box-shaped turntable games, Double Prices and One Right Price, and Grocery Game and Shell Game, pricing games don't usually look so much like another game.  Instead of photobutchering Switcheroo, you should just completely create the set from scratch.

And the picture is WAY too big!  There's absolutely no reason it needs to be that big!

And the game just isn't going to work at all.  At least not with groceries... good luck finding all the sub-$1.00 products you'll need to be compatible with the main prizes' prices.  Small prizes would work better.

But it still isn't a good game.  There's just no realistic way anyone could guess what the prices of the small prizes/groceries are in relation to the price of the main prize, making the game a random 1 in 12 shot.  As difficult as the game is, couldn't the contestant at least decide the order of the two prices after they're scanned?  That would make the game slightly more reasonable, anyway.

In the end, though, it just wouldn't work at all.

Offline CBach88

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 06:49:24 PM »
First of all, the picture is too big. Downsize so we can get a better idea.

I think this game is confusing and the font is kind of hard to read. It's a unique idea, though.

Offline fireman

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 08:03:13 PM »

Frank15 wrote:
Why does it look like an uglier version of Switcheroo?  

Because it is.

Sorry you guys didn't like my idea.  I thought it was an interesting one.  Guess it wasn't.  Oh Well.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 08:31:26 PM »
"The fun part comes where Bob takes the scanner and scans the 2 barcodes chosen by the contestant in the order he/she wants them to be scanned. The prices of the smaller items will appear as Bob scans their respective barcodes."

That's where it REALLY started to lose my interest. Sounds way too modern for the TPIR we all know and love.  I think the day we see Bob taking a scanner and scanning prices, we know it's all over.

And not that I could do any better with an image, but the white on white makes it seem as if the game's name is "BROE."  :lol:

Offline Vexorg

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 04:11:14 AM »
To me, this sounds like Take Two with a bunch of added complications.  Not only are you selecting two of four prizes, but:

a) you only get one shot at it
b) they have to be in a particular order to win
c) it is possible to end up with an "impossible" result (if you put two three digit prizes on the board and the contestant picks them, you would have a six-digit price.  

For a four-digit prize, you'd be especially hard pressed to find enough sub $1.00 prizes to make this work.  Even if you could find the item prices, a non-LFAT contestant would have basically a 1-in-12 chance of winning.