Author Topic: 1976: An Early Hurdles Playing and A Different Cruise Ship Prop  (Read 1987 times)

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
1976: An Early Hurdles Playing and A Different Cruise Ship Prop
« on: January 04, 2009, 06:19:51 PM »
I don't think I have ever seen anybody whack contestants row as much as Theresa does when she comes on down.  Take note of this early cruise ship prop that's used, and Marc Breslow using a cool wipe to show some pictures of the destination.  Also, it seems she was pretty stunned when Bob let her fire the starter's pistol.  I like the cool camera effects used for the "CRASH" and how they raised the hurdles relative to the products' prices.

"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
Re: 1976: An Early Hurdles Playing and A Different Cruise Ship Prop
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 07:42:12 PM »
This is Hurdles' fifth playing from March 11, 1976 (1844D) - I have this in my own collection, and I recognized the very end.

...Even then, Bob was getting senile - it was the second game and he mentions the second game "coming up".
-Daniel
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 09:26:14 PM »
I remember seeing this...seeing Teresa shoot off the pistol was just flat out hillarious.

Too bad Hurdles was retired, it was a great game with perhaps the best set ever for a pricing game. That thing was huge AND cool.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 11:45:33 PM »
I would lose it out on the very first hurdle had I chosen the peanut butter.

Offline TheHurdler

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 03:23:23 PM »
I could tell this was an early playing of Hurdles by how they didn't have the contestant's face imposed to the hurdler and how the hurdles only raised up 1/10th of the way ( was it like that on the earlier playings of Hurdles?). 

And yeah that has to be the first cruise ship prop, the red/blue/gold with the sky backdrop came out probably in the late 70's ( '79 at least).

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 11:13:30 PM »
Now this was the only game that could ever put Cliff Hangers to shame! Sure, when a contestant loses Cliff Hangers, you hear a crashing sound as Hans falls off the mountain, but in Hurdles, you actually saw the word "CRASH" (and in some episodes, "OOPS!") that accompanied the sound. Oh, how I wish they still played that game today!  :-x

Online Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 12:45:20 PM »
I wish Hurdles was still around. Drew would have a great time with it.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."